I Now Hate Wilton!

Lounge By cake_freak Updated 25 Jun 2007 , 2:05am by Heath

cake_freak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_freak Posted 8 May 2007 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 11980

GIRR ok i got my cake to my customer and fineshed doing the little touches (it was SOOOO CUTE!!!!) but either way i got there the party ended earlie!!!!! due like 10 of the kids had a wreak (they were being stupid and fliped the truck! so it put an earlie end right then and there!) but anyway i used wiltons fondant thinking it was good quality...NOT i never tasted it (not right for the baker to eat the cake and the supplies) so i got there and i told every one if they didnt like the fondant to just take it off well one of them ate the shells and litraly went out side and chucked it across the yard XD but either way i was told my cake was the best they EVER had so the cake part was great and they loved my butter cream!!!! OMG they were takeing the fondant off and eating the butter cream and cake lol so i have to say my cake (other than wiltons fondant) was a hit i am hopeing maybe i get another cake soon i will be doing my brothers cake and possibly my own birth day cake XD XD XD XD icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_evil.gif hehehehe i cant wait i new cake was my calling and now i have to go through with it im addicted!!!! haha so i will as soon as the byer sends me the cake pic i will have them up pronto

THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT AND TIPS I WILL HOPEFULLY BETTER ME!!!!!!! THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

11,979 replies
goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 8 May 2007 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 11980

Everyone I talk to, says Wilton Fondant tasts really bad. Why do they keep making it? Why can't they change the way it tastes? I am going to try the MMF for the first time this weekend, just messing around.
I'll let you know how it turns out.

cake_freak Posted 9 May 2007 , 5:25am
post #3 of 11980

thank you!!!

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 9 May 2007 , 5:33am
post #4 of 11980

Oh man--Wilton fondant is disgusting! I can't believe they try to pass it off as food.

MMF is much better. Not everyone likes it, but some really do. Satin Ice and FondX are good brands to try if you want to buy premade.

Jsowards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jsowards Posted 9 May 2007 , 5:35am
post #5 of 11980

OMG, I reacted the same way when I made my first fondant cake. I used Wilton fondant on my daughter's first birthday cake and was so proud of it. Until we went to eat it. Gross. Tasted like playdoh. Everyone peeled it off and ate the cake part, which was yummy with the BC frosting. But all that trouble and it was totally bad.

I then started using the MMF. I've just recently tried satin ice out of curiosity and it did taste better, but IMO it also smelled like playdoh and I wasn't thrilled enough that I would use it on a cake I was getting paid for. I just read a post today from someone that they add vanilla and almond extract to their MMF and it's really good. I think it was a 1/2 tsp. of each flavoring. You just have to make sure you adjust the liquid in the recipe to account for the extract liquid. You don't want it to get too sticky.

Good luck. I'm right there with ya!

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 9 May 2007 , 5:36am
post #6 of 11980

Ummmm.....how old are you??

Not to be rude or anything, but my goodness, you talk like my 15 year old and write like her too. icon_eek.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

Use some punctuation and try proof-reading before you post next time. icon_wink.gif

And I totally agree with you on hating wilton fondant...did that for my wedding cake a few years ago(my second wedding and first time using fondant), and it is truly terrible!!

Lizzard1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzard1 Posted 9 May 2007 , 5:36am
post #7 of 11980

I agree! Wilton fondant is the nastiest thing i have ever eaten that contained sugar! LOL I have not eaten it since... Does MMF work the same as the wilton stuff? I have never used it!!

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 9 May 2007 , 5:37am
post #8 of 11980

Just for the price you should stay away from the Wilton. The MMF is sooo much better! I LOVE IT! Easy to make, work with and tastes good!

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 9 May 2007 , 5:38am
post #9 of 11980

Way to go on the cake!

I hate Wilton fondant too. I'm not a big fan of any type of fondant really but have found the best by far is FondX. I've yet to find someone who hated it.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 9 May 2007 , 5:40am
post #10 of 11980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzard1

I agree! Wilton fondant is the nastiest thing i have ever eaten that contained sugar! LOL I have not eaten it since... Does MMF work the same as the wilton stuff? I have never used it!!

Some people really like working with MMF, but I've had mixed results with it. Sometimes it's really hard for me to get the consistency right and it's too stretchy and difficult to put on the cake, but other times it's worked fine.

cake_freak Posted 9 May 2007 , 5:40am
post #11 of 11980

i know im 17 i write and type horrible lol but when it comes to the formal stuff when it HAS to be neat and such i look like i do it every day its just im lazy lol and i hate english class i love poetry ect but i hate the punctiation lol not tomentich i typed that all in like 3 mins in class lol so i understand and im sooo sorry

Lizzard1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzard1 Posted 9 May 2007 , 5:50am
post #12 of 11980
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake_freak

i know im 17 i write and type horrible lol but when it comes to the formal stuff when it HAS to be neat and such i look like i do it every day its just im lazy lol and i hate english class i love poetry ect but i hate the punctiation lol not tomentich i typed that all in like 3 mins in class lol so i understand and im sooo sorry

I dont think thats a big deal! Come on now who really cares about that. Its the content written not how it is written! icon_biggrin.gif

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 9 May 2007 , 6:04am
post #13 of 11980

Yeah, Wilton fondant is absolutely horrid!!! I use the MMF recipe on here and I do add the white chocolate chips as suggested in the recipe. YUMMY!!!!! The texture though isn't as stretchy as Wilton. That's about the only good thing about Wilton's but the MMF is a better cheaper choice. Satin Ice is also very delicious. Sweeter definately!!!

Thank goodness they enjoyed the actual cake!!!!! I don't think I would have been as easy going with parts of my cake being chucked across the yard though. You're a better person than me. Even if it tasted like heck I would have still been like "Hey, I worked hard on that rolling it out and smoothing it blah blah blah!"

Amy

DecoratingDingbat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratingDingbat Posted 9 May 2007 , 7:20am
post #14 of 11980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzard1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cake_freak

I dont think thats a big deal! Come on now who really cares about that. Its the content written not how it is written! icon_biggrin.gif

I've had better tasting glue in elementary school than Wilton's fondant. I used it once and will never use it again. MMF with different flavoring extracts or candy flavorings is my prefered way. thumbs_up.gif

As far as the punctuation and being lazy with the posts, I have to agree with Momkiksbutt. I'm sorry if you think I'm being picky, but I had to read the original post 4x's before I could understand it! icon_confused.gif It didn't occur to me that you were young, I did wonder if someone had opened the wine bottle too early though. icon_razz.gif Please understand it's not said to be mean or pick on anybody, we just want to be able to understand what's being said. With all the time people spend on computers now, we should be able to express ourselves clearly via our writings. Lazy or very bad habits? I typed this, with punctuation in approx. 2mins. icon_wink.gif

cake_freak Posted 9 May 2007 , 12:59pm
post #15 of 11980

yeah i know im a little S-L-O-W!!! lol icon_lol.gif but i will work on it im still waiting for my pictures to be sent i wish she would send them!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:09pm
post #16 of 11980

I've found that the only thing the Wilton Fondant is good for is molding characters and flowers...and to me, it holds up and handles very well for that. It's also great for covering dummy cakes.

Wanda

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:09pm
post #17 of 11980

Honestly ladies, in this day and age with everything that kids are into -- the music, drugs, etc. and you come across someone like Cake Freak that is involved in something as wholesome as cake baking/decorating and you're criticizing her spelling? Honestly.... If it was so difficult to read, then go on to another post. Cake Freak, I applaud you and your efforts.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:12pm
post #18 of 11980

FondX is my favorite, it has a good flavor (kind of like marshmallow) and is easy to work with.

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:23pm
post #19 of 11980

wilton is nasty all i use it for is covering dummies and molding stuff

as far as the punctuation thing goes..i hate typing it as well so i dont

sweetness11379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness11379 Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:24pm
post #20 of 11980

Well put vitomiriam!

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:24pm
post #21 of 11980

I hope all of the kids are ok...

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:27pm
post #22 of 11980
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitomiriam

Honestly ladies, in this day and age with everything that kids are into -- the music, drugs, etc. and you come across someone like Cake Freak that is involved in something as wholesome as cake baking/decorating and you're criticizing her spelling? Honestly.... If it was so difficult to read, then go on to another post. Cake Freak, I applaud you and your efforts.

Im gonna have to completely agree on this....move on

I typed that whole line WITHOUT puncutuation in 2.5 seconds! icon_biggrin.gif

lizbuth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizbuth Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:30pm
post #23 of 11980

I have to agree...The Wilton Fondant is GROSS...Although I have never given a cake that has fondant on it, people specifically request no fondant....

Bekah66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bekah66 Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:35pm
post #24 of 11980

I so agree! I am taking a fondant class at Wilton in Darien, IL in June. I plan on giving them a little advice, if possible.

I use fondx and satin ice, but recently have discovered the Cocoa outlet in Hawaii. Their 'fondant' chocolate! It is wonderful and my clients have loved it! www.cocoaoutlet.com; they will send you samples of their products for free so that you can judge for yourself. It is wonderful and very easy to work with. Not sticky, pliable!

cake_freak Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:35pm
post #25 of 11980

yeah mom tells me all the time the way im going i will have my own laungage bye the age 30...i was like ok lol but yeah i can agree many of my friends are in to the drugs and acohal and stuff i do smoke but thats only because HIGH stress levels!!!!! but other than that im a clean kid i cant let the modern attraction of my time be done away when i could be decorating a cake each cake im hopeing to get better and better but only with time!!!! BUT IM FRUSTRATED!!! i cant get the stupid roses to work out for me maby its because i used crisco and my air condesoner is out icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif but i do my best and thank you i love this site i have found sooo much support since every one found that im a younger cake freak like every one else on here lol (hens the name cake_freak lol ) but i am hopeing i can do the best i can and maybe get on the food net work lol i will do a shout out to my cake freaks!!!!

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:36pm
post #26 of 11980

Not many people around here like fondant and its mainly because Wilton is their first experience with it. I use Satin Ice or MMF and more people like those.
Its nice to see such young decorators here, I only wish I would have started at that age so i could be so much further along by now.

cake_freak Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:36pm
post #27 of 11980

yeah mom tells me all the time the way im going i will have my own laungage bye the age 30...i was like ok lol but yeah i can agree many of my friends are in to the drugs and acohal and stuff i do smoke but thats only because HIGH stress levels!!!!! but other than that im a clean kid i cant let the modern attraction of my time be done away when i could be decorating a cake each cake im hopeing to get better and better but only with time!!!! BUT IM FRUSTRATED!!! i cant get the stupid roses to work out for me maby its because i used crisco and my air condesoner is out icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif but i do my best and thank you i love this site i have found sooo much support since every one found that im a younger cake freak like every one else on here lol (hens the name cake_freak lol ) but i am hopeing i can do the best i can and maybe get on the food net work lol i will do a shout out to my cake freaks!!!!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:38pm
post #28 of 11980

When I started decorating a couple years ago, I knew NOTHING about fondant, only that I liked the way it looked.
So, I bought a jeep pan for my husbands b-day. Baked the jeep cake, rolled out my Wilton (per directions) and slapped it right on the cake...yep, no buttercream or anything....OMG...it was terrible!
That was the WORST tasting cake ever! ...lol....its just so funny to me now!

(punctuation, shmunctuation)
thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:41pm
post #29 of 11980

Well, you've come to the right place for new fondant recipes! I personally don't care for MMF (and hate making it), and have found Fondx and Satin Ice to be my favorites!

Had to chuckle reading your post....don't know if I was chuckling because of how you wrote it, or chuckling because I could understand it.....my daughter is 17 also icon_lol.gif

oh oh oh....have to add my 2 cents worth about the flavor of Wilton's fondant....school glue was a good comparison, but I think I've got a better one! Doesn't it taste just like a new vinyl doll smells! he he he!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:45pm
post #30 of 11980

The only thing Wilton fondant is good for is to learn to use fondant. It doesn't even smell good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%