I Now Hate Wilton!

Lounge By cake_freak Updated 25 Jun 2007 , 2:05am by Heath

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:56pm
post #31 of 11980

Cakefreak...no worries hon'. I have an 18 year old daughter who has a terrible time spelling. She's always had problems with reading and spelling since elementary and we even had her go to Sylvian for a couple years. She is better but still not so great. My proudest moment is when she got an "A" in college writing!! This from a child who struggled her whole life with our crazy language! Anyway, back to Wilton. I emailed them and asked them "what's up with the taste of your fondant"? They're reply was that they left it tastless so that the consumer could add their own flavor. I think it's a marketing thing so that we purchase flavorings from them! I'm a Satinice or Pettinice person myself.
Jacqui

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:00pm
post #32 of 11980

cake_freak I know how you feel about waiting for someone else to send you pictures, I waited almost a month for some one to send me a picture of a cake I did, then when I got it it was HORRIBLE!! So dark you can hardly see the picture! SO, my suggestion is ALWAYS take your own pics. Even if you don't have a digital camera, at least you'll have your own copy.

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:11pm
post #33 of 11980

Left tasteless? Haha.

Maybe they haven't tried it?

Even flavoring it doesn't take the taste away. I say we start a petition, get a good couple-thousand BAKERS to say they hate the "tasteless taste" and REFUSE to use it and see if they don't find a new recipe. icon_smile.gif

They're missing out on a great market. If they had a flavorful product, I'd sure use it. It's easier to get ahold of than other fondants, its got the Wilton's reputable (cough) name and influence and with that 40% off coupon, whoo hoo!

cake_freak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_freak Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:12pm
post #34 of 11980

i had my own camera and i left it in the car along with my towl (i was invited as well) but i had my cam and towl and i was like NOOOOO lol but oh well i will get them sooner or later!!! i just dont know when lol but yeah i know how it is about haveing you own cam!!! lol

Lostinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lostinalaska Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:16pm
post #35 of 11980

Ummmm.....how old are you??

Not to be rude or anything, but my goodness, you talk like my 15 year old and write like her too.

Use some punctuation and try proof-reading before you post next time.

WOW, that was rude, Cake Freak keep up the good work on your cakes, by the way the only thing Wilton Fondant is good for is making flowers NOT EATING, look for a fondant called satin Ice itys more expensive but taste good.

amodeoandrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amodeoandrea Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:21pm
post #36 of 11980
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake_freak

i know im 17 i write and type horrible lol but when it comes to the formal stuff when it HAS to be neat and such i look like i do it every day its just im lazy lol and i hate english class i love poetry ect but i hate the punctiation lol not tomentich i typed that all in like 3 mins in class lol so i understand and im sooo sorry

Wow, I thought that comment was a little harsh!!!!! We are here for cakes not English class. I read your message and didn't even think twice about your punctuation. People are strange!!!!!! Look at all of the exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!! I love them and I'm 28 lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck with your cakes. MMF is the best choice for taste. thumbs_up.gif

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:21pm
post #37 of 11980

Yeah...I agree...that was RUDE!

My lord, i have a degree in english, and im sorry but im not gonna capitalize all my frikkin i's either lol

i got what she was saying fine

did you see her signature line ?? dont judge till you know who your talking to.... its really annoying........hmmm

VERY annoying
wtg on your cake and we're happy to have some young people interested in our craft icon_smile.gif
anytime you wanna ramble in your posts, feel free to do so

:hairflip: and btw im 34

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:22pm
post #38 of 11980
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitomiriam

Honestly ladies, in this day and age with everything that kids are into -- the music, drugs, etc. and you come across someone like Cake Freak that is involved in something as wholesome as cake baking/decorating and you're criticizing her spelling? Honestly.... If it was so difficult to read, then go on to another post. Cake Freak, I applaud you and your efforts.

Thank you! Someone needed to say that!!!!

cake_freak Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:23pm
post #39 of 11980

yeah i mlearing this i wish i had figured this out but i have like half a box left in the fride i guess its time to start working on my flowers and ect lol

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 9 May 2007 , 3:03pm
post #40 of 11980

I have never tried FondX! What is the best site to get it? See the issue is in my area................there are no supply shops. I have to order EVERYTHING online or load up whenever I go to San Diego. I'd have to buy FondX or SatinIce in a huge huge quantity because if I run out I can't exactly "run" out and get some more. So for me, MMF is the best choice but I will definately have to try the others just to compare!!!!!

BTW, as far as typing/spelling.................for those of us who have been doing it for an eon then of course we are used to seeing correct spelling and punctuation. It's second nature to us. When I really get going with my emails to my husband, I am just flying on the keyboard. 100 wpm BABY!!!!!!!

Have my name on a plaque from 7th grade to prove it!!!!!! Hey, you navigate yourself around here on CC so who cares if you aren't competing in the National Spelling Bee!!!! thumbs_up.gif

YOU GO GIRL!!! Now post the cake when you get the picture!!!

Amy

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 9 May 2007 , 3:11pm
post #41 of 11980

You can buy FondX directly from the company that makes it. www.caljavaonline.com.

My only complaint is that it's a little soft, but from what I understand, so is Satin Ice. I have the same problem with MMF a lot, too! When I started working with fondant, I used Colette Peter's recipe, which is quite stiff.

EricaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EricaT Posted 9 May 2007 , 3:50pm
post #42 of 11980

ive been decorating for a while, but started using fondant recently. Ive only ever used wilton fondant, its all ive ever seen for purchase at any of my local stores. the taste isnt good alone- but once it kind of soaks in with the buttercream its not that bad. What is MMF exactly? Some of the abbreviations used are confusing. Is fondant of mmf hard to make? any good recipes?

CakesbyMonica Posted 9 May 2007 , 4:02pm
post #43 of 11980

Marshmallow Fondant, its in the recipes section. However what they didn't tell me, you need a BUFF mixer to make it in. Under the General forum is a thread with all the abbreviations.

Edited to add: It's on a sticky at the top, so you don't have to search for it, called Acronyms

amodeoandrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amodeoandrea Posted 9 May 2007 , 4:45pm
post #44 of 11980

I don't use a mixer when I make my MMF. I follow the heating instructions. Grease my counter or a silicone pad, make a well with 1/2 of the powder sugar and knead it in by hand. I add the rest of the sugar as needed. I don't always use the full bag. I find this method very messy!!!!! but much easier. Be sure to have a small bowl of crisco to dip your hands in or to grease your work surface. You will be very stickyicon_smile.gif

CakesbyMonica Posted 9 May 2007 , 5:35pm
post #45 of 11980

Yep, thats what I gotta do, too, as my little KA is not buff enough, and I can't afford a nicer one. Knead by hand. I just don't want her throwing it in a little one and burning out the mixer.

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 9 May 2007 , 5:53pm
post #46 of 11980

Not judging, just saying.....don't get me wrong...and here's a totally MOM thing to say(like I have more than once to my DD for doing it)....What are you doing on the forums in class????? Get back to work young lady!! LOL

OK, now for some really great advise. Listen to all the very talented and gifted ladies and men on CC.....you will learn much, and gain many favored and cherished friends here. I know I certainly have been grateful for everything that the CC has to offer. Also, how lucky you are to be starting so early with your cake decorating endeavors.

Good for you!! Just stick with CC and you will be decorating like a pro in no time!! thumbs_up.gif

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 9 May 2007 , 6:11pm
post #47 of 11980

I quit making Fondant cakes because it was so awful.

CC talked so much about Satin Ice I ordered some yesterday, can't wait to try.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 9 May 2007 , 6:22pm
post #48 of 11980

If you can afford it, the pre-made fondant would definitely be the easier way to go, but there are several great recipes out there for home-made fondant too! If you find the prices to be too high, try out a few of them! There's MMF, Michele Foster's delicious fondant, Toba Garrett's, etc. Buy a couple pre-made and try a couple home-made and decide for yourself what works best for you!!

p.s. - the whole typing and spelling thing cracked me up! my DH is about the same way!

Bekah66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bekah66 Posted 9 May 2007 , 6:43pm
post #49 of 11980

I would love to take the petition to Wilton when I go in June!

CakesbyMonica Posted 9 May 2007 , 6:58pm
post #50 of 11980

That's it! We're going to start an online petition to Wilton. Should we start a long thread, or go to a seperate site like onlinepetition.com? I don't want to get kicked off cakecentral for inciting a riot.

DecoratingDingbat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratingDingbat Posted 9 May 2007 , 7:40pm
post #51 of 11980

Whatever you all choose - I'll be signing it! Amazing that a company like Wilton needs a petition to get them moving on a lousy product. I'm sure they must have taste testers! I'm wondering where their tastes buds are located? Personally I have a hard time with everything about that fondant - smell, texture, taste, I'm not even impressed with the packaging! I just expected ALOT better quality from such a well know name. I'm dreaming the petition you all start will entice Wilton into creating the best tasting fondant ever icon_rolleyes.gif - a variety of flavors such as buttercream, strawberry, milk chocolate, butterscotch - all for $0.10 per pound - ahhhhh, this is my happy place!
After the stuff they've been selling, and calling it fondant I think Wilton owes us at least the effort. Thank goodness for MMF!

HollyPJ Posted 9 May 2007 , 7:47pm
post #52 of 11980

The thing is, I think they don't want to change anything because they still sell a lot of it. What they don't realize, perhaps, is how much MORE they would sell if they made the stuff taste good! As cake decorators are becoming more product-savvy, they stop buying Wilton and start either making their own fondant or buying one of the better-tasting readymade brands.

I hate to think of all the perfectly good cake that's been coated with that nasty stuff.

Before I tried it for the first time, I'd heard it was bad, but I didn't think it would be THAT bad. It was so bad I could barely chew and swallow a small piece. Even my kids won't touch it. Kids! They'll eat anything sweet.

I hate to think what's in it that makes it taste that bad.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 May 2007 , 7:57pm
post #53 of 11980

You can start a petition for Wilton, but it will fall on deaf ears.

They've heard it all about how lousy the fondant taste is, and they just don't care. They hear it from every single class that's taken at the Wilton School, every Master's Class group that tours the corporate headquarters, and they hear it daily on their own message boards.

They have a single reply that goes along the line of "We're here for the homemaker and hobbyist. We feel that the product works well for that audience--period." They don't want to change it and they don't want suggestions on how to change it. They advise adding oils and extracts to change the flavor, but they seem to have no intention to make a good tasting product in the near future. I've added oils & extracts, but I find it messy, unpredictable, an inconsistent. I, too, want a product where the comany has already done that for me.

When I was out there, I complained to the school director, 2 of the decorator's at headquarters, the head of the testing kitchen at headquarters, etc. etc. etc. and heard the same reply over and over again. They don't think it's broke, so they don't plan to fix it.

A rumor I heard from a Chicago cake shop owner is that Wilton fondant is actually made in England by a company that has various "grades" of fondant--and that Wilton purchases the lowest grade. It's probably just an urban legend, but the product is so bad that it seems true.

I agree that it's great for dummies, decos that get removed, etc. I find Fondx too soft, but if I get a good deal on it, I mix it with Wilton and it's wonderful in taste & texture.

Personally, I won't waste any more of my time trying to convince Wilton that they've missed the boat. I walk with my wallet and I put my $$$s elsewhere.

Rae

CakesbyMonica Posted 9 May 2007 , 8:04pm
post #54 of 11980

Anyone good at wording petitions?

We, the undersigned, hate your fondant. It tastes so nasty, the kids throw it at each other instead of eating it. "Fresh Vinyl Barbies" is not a requested flavor. As Newbies to the world of cake decor, we used it cause we had to. Once we discovered there is life after Wilton Fondant we scraped it off our cakes and threw it with the kids. Then, bought the good tasting stuff. Yes, you do sell it, but could you imagine if all these awesome talented CAKE DECORATORS liked it? Til then we will bad mouth your fondant on Cake Central, and continue our quest to show newbies the light of MMF, SatinIce, and Pettinice.

Long live the queen! (apparently thats Melvira from what I've heard...)

HollyPJ Posted 9 May 2007 , 8:25pm
post #55 of 11980

"Fresh Vinyl Barbies"

LOL!!!

That is too funny. Sadly, it's also true.

Rae-How ridiculous and upsetting that the Wilton people have that attitude.

We need to STOP buying the stuff. I know it's easy to get and that you can save money by using Hobby Lobby or Michael's coupons, but there are some reasonable alternatives available through mail order.

It sounds like Wilton won't change their fondant until they really see a dent in their profits.

If a Wilton person said their fondant was good enough to my face, I'd whip a package out of my purse and say, "OK, go ahead and eat a few handfuls! Go on--I DARE you!"

icon_mad.gif

CakesbyMonica Posted 9 May 2007 , 8:38pm
post #56 of 11980

haha, perhaps we should make them cakes? covered to the nines in Wilton's fondant?! With big fondant roses!
Nope, just kidding, when I made the last one in that class I swore I'd never make another fondant rose again!

CakesbyMonica Posted 9 May 2007 , 8:41pm
post #57 of 11980

It's good to know they've trained their employees that their product sucks. Nothing like mindless zombie loyalty. icon_smile.gif

cake_freak Posted 9 May 2007 , 8:59pm
post #58 of 11980

YES that is what wee need to do is put a COUNTRY WIDE ALL CALL to NOT bye there fondant due they dont know how to make it right that it dont smell and taste like plastic barbie!!!!! theres newbies (like me) that are stupied enough to bye 2 5 pound boxes of the nasty $%#* 43 bucks that i could have used on parchment stuff i needed!!!!

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 9 May 2007 , 9:10pm
post #59 of 11980

IMHO, Wilton isn't THAT bad. By the descriptions frequently mentioned on CC, I was scared (yet tempted) to taste the fondant; I presumed something vomit-provoking.

Well, it wasn't. And I don't really think it's that bad. Maybe I love fondant (doubt it) but I didn't abhor it. I would rather not have it in my mouth, but it's endurable.

I do agree that it tastes like chemicals.

*edited to eliminate an extra "l" in the word "well"; I don't want the spelling police on me. icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif*

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 9 May 2007 , 9:15pm
post #60 of 11980

I'll never buy my fondant again! Not with the good recipe that I have. And the fact is, it's just more cost effective to make your own. You can use not a very big quantity of ingredients and make alot if you need to, or use alittle. That's the beauty of using your own recipe. That and you can basically flavor it anyway you want to make it taste just right.

Look at the MMF recipes on CC, try it and see if you don't agree!
thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%