I Now Hate Wilton!

Lounge By cake_freak Updated 25 Jun 2007 , 2:05am by Heath

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 10 May 2007 , 12:48pm
post #91 of 11980
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyMonica

Anyone good at wording petitions?

We, the undersigned, hate your fondant. It tastes so nasty, the kids throw it at each other instead of eating it. "Fresh Vinyl Barbies" is not a requested flavor. As Newbies to the world of cake decor, we used it cause we had to. Once we discovered there is life after Wilton Fondant we scraped it off our cakes and threw it with the kids. Then, bought the good tasting stuff. Yes, you do sell it, but could you imagine if all these awesome talented CAKE DECORATORS liked it? Til then we will bad mouth your fondant on Cake Central, and continue our quest to show newbies the light of MMF, SatinIce, and Pettinice.

Long live the queen! (apparently thats Melvira from what I've heard...)

Where do I sign. icon_wink.gif

When I took my first fondant classe 1 1/2 years ago, we tried 3 fondants. The first 2 were great, the 3rd one we all spit out, we could not find our napkins quick enough and yes that was wiltons.... thumbsdown.gif
I made MMF for the first time this week. I reallyhave to add more flavor, but my DH loved it just like that. So that is a good sign. It turned out pretty good for a 1st time too. icon_lol.gif

Good Luck.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 10 May 2007 , 1:06pm
post #92 of 11980

I went to sign the petition and there was no way to sign without a donation.
Can we not just do a poll on CC and ask people to just answer the poll and use another post to add comments if you dont want the whole tread to come up.
Just a thought.

Good Luck

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 10 May 2007 , 1:09pm
post #93 of 11980

Wow, what response. Too many to read.

I don't like anything Wilton makes. Poor quality and high prices.

And why do they have the crafts stores wrapped up.

If you don't want Wilton you have to go to the cake shop or online.

Maybe we need to approuch the craft stores about being limited to Wilton.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 10 May 2007 , 1:34pm
post #94 of 11980
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitomiriam

Honestly ladies, in this day and age with everything that kids are into -- the music, drugs, etc. and you come across someone like Cake Freak that is involved in something as wholesome as cake baking/decorating and you're criticizing her spelling? Honestly.... If it was so difficult to read, then go on to another post. Cake Freak, I applaud you and your efforts.

Well said!. I'd much rather have my 14 year old daughter typing how ever she wants on the computer, than hanging out and getting into trouble. I've had trouble reading other "well written" messages and have had to read them more than once to get the meaning.

"Make Cake...not war"

Janette Posted 10 May 2007 , 1:46pm
post #95 of 11980

I can calculate in my head, it's blows my daughter away. But, spelling? I cannot spell everday words. I always hope you'al think it's just a typo.

I have a book 20,000 words next to my computer, but if I took the time to look up everyword it would take 10x's longer to write a post.

It's not like writing a letter. Comunnicating in this way I don't think anyone gives a second thought to spelling.

Then again, I wouldn't know if you spelled something wrong anyway. icon_rolleyes.gif

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 10 May 2007 , 1:59pm
post #96 of 11980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny77

I tried to sign the petition but it says I need to donate $ in order to do it.

Did you sign and then have the donation window come up when you clicked enter?

You don't have to donate money...you probably didn't notice in the top left-hand corner of the donation page it said, "Your signature has been recorded"--that means it worked without you donating money!

Sunny77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunny77 Posted 10 May 2007 , 2:07pm
post #97 of 11980

Oh, Thanks HollyPJ. That would mean I signed then but no didn't notice since my morning coffee was still brewing. I wonder how many other things I miss before my doseage icon_wink.gif .

breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 10 May 2007 , 2:15pm
post #98 of 11980

I think Janette has an absolutely lovely idea... how exactly DID Wilton get the monopoly on the craft stores with such tapedshut.gif products? I use Wilton gels because I can run out and get them at the store, but I dream of the day that I have a choice... and if I could buy a decent fondant product in the craft store (even at the jacked-up craft store price) I think I might die from the sheer joy of it all. Maybe we should be talking to Michael's and HL instead.

cake_freak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_freak Posted 10 May 2007 , 2:18pm
post #99 of 11980

as my grand mother says "your getting to big for your britches" lol i think wiltons getting the same way we as the coustomer have the bigger say so due we bye there product so we need poepl to sign do what you have to get any one and every one to sign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 10 May 2007 , 3:24pm
post #100 of 11980

Well after it took almost an hour to read all the pages I had to put my 2 cents in.

First I found that so RUDE and disrespectful to come straight out and tell them in that manner. "Meaning nothing bad by it" or "I have kids of my own" doesn't cover the fact that it was rude. Like my mom says "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all." - words to live by. By the way we need to look at ourselves before we "judge" (which we shouldn't because we are no one on this earth to judge) it's not like her signature is the ultimate in grammar. Isn't it funny how we can see every one's mistakes before we see our own. I was an English major in college and yet I am so lucky that I can spell my own name. I love to read but can't spell if my life depended on it, with all the texting that the kids (and adults too) do now it is very hard to get the kids out of the habit of short-hand (writing) everything.

And as for cake_freak, it is so nice to see that young people are into other things than hanging out in the street and getting themselves in trouble..... I think that you should keep up the good work and focus because you have a lot of people backing you up and there to help you when you need it. It is good to see that a child who has to go through all these adversities - ahdh, dyslexia .... can find the focus in themselves to decorate cakes. I am very proud of you!

I was a little upset to see that respond because I think that we all represent each other here and when someone responds negatively it shows we aren't supportive and not friendly ect.....
I think that we need to encourage each other not judge. To play devils advocate here, I know that the person who wrote it that must feel attacked by all the negative responds that have come of her comment but we have to remember that when we say something and write something it comes out very different. We can say something with a smile and it will come off just fine but if we type it, it will come off very different.

Just my opinion.

Oh to the Wilton fondant......

I think that to learn or to make some of the pieces that we put on a cake it works fine because we don't eat it. But if we are going to eat the stuff YUCK YUCK YUCK!!!!! I will sign the petition but how much is it going to do who knows? I am sure that they see it as - people are buying so lets keep making it. I just think that they should take into consideration peoples opinion and who knows maybe than they can come out with something better or even better for them- "Wilton Fondant Flavorings" hey something more for us to buy. Lets not give them any ideas.

Sorry so long, had a lot to say- Have to make sure to spell check, let me stop!!!

Vic

By the way I am 33 and still can't spell for tapedshut.gif .

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 10 May 2007 , 3:30pm
post #101 of 11980

a Little off the subject. Cake_Freak when I read your post, I didn't have any trouble reading it.

My 17 year old daughter too has ADHD, Dislexia, has a learning disability and has mild retardation and it was almost like reading something she would write to me.

I applaud your every effort to succeed in everything you do and in life.

Your cake is amazing and congratulations on your graduation.

~Hugs~
Loops

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 10 May 2007 , 3:49pm
post #102 of 11980
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyMonica

Haha! I did it!

Here you go, sign away. BTW, this is only going to work if we get a lot (like thousands) of signatures. icon_smile.gif

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/wiltons_fondant_tastes_nasty

I signed it!!

Thank you for starting this. thumbs_up.gif

Maybe this will help icon_rolleyes.gif

Chrisi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrisi Posted 10 May 2007 , 3:50pm
post #103 of 11980

I an a Wilton Instructor. I am expected to "stand by the Wilton name". I hate to say it, yes the fondant they put out does take some getting used to. thumbsdown.gif But in thier defense you can flavor it. Use the candy flavoring because they are more concentrated. You could even use the flavorsing from Walgreens. (go to the pharm. and ask for their flavorings. these are the one they use to flavor childrens med. they come in many different flavors, and are only about a buck.) If it's the texture you can't take, nope can't help ya there.

I've mentioned it to my supervisor, and she says she'll "pace the word along" icon_rolleyes.gif Whatever that means.

I, personally, when teaching suggest that my students use the Wilton product, but then give them the recipe to make the MMF. 90% of them com back with the MMF recipe for class work. I mean hey if it does the same thing, and gets the same results why not enjoy the taste too, right?!

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 10 May 2007 , 3:50pm
post #104 of 11980

No, you don't have to pay! I would NOT do that to you. I just wanted a site off CC so I don't get kicked off for inciting a riot. I love my CC home.

I just checked it. It should take you to a blue and green page with the petition and a form. You input your information, choose if you want to recieve ipetitions newletter (no) and then hit sign. It will take you to a page that says your signature is recorded and THEN the pop-up will come. For those of you that did this, you can go back to the original page and find the signatures tab and should find your name.
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/wiltons_fondant_tastes_nasty/

Another link to the first forum to make it easier to get to.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-2842043.html#2842043

A link to the forum cake_freak started, too! (thanks!)
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-278253.html

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 10 May 2007 , 3:56pm
post #105 of 11980

I will admit that I did not read all the posts. But I understood you 100%. I went with what you were saying. My nieces text alot and have forgotten how to spell because of cell phones. I do understand not all of us have good grammer. Oh well. It makes the world go round. Your cake was awsome for a first time cake. Keep up the good work and remember to practice alot. I was not good when I first started but I am getting better. Keep your chin up and smile.

DecoratingDingbat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratingDingbat Posted 10 May 2007 , 4:49pm
post #106 of 11980
Quote:
Originally Posted by darandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitomiriam

Honestly ladies, in this day and age with everything that kids are into -- the music, drugs, etc. and you come across someone like Cake Freak that is involved in something as wholesome as cake baking/decorating and you're criticizing her spelling? Honestly.... If it was so difficult to read, then go on to another post. Cake Freak, I applaud you and your efforts.

Well said!. I'd much rather have my 14 year old daughter typing how ever she wants on the computer, than hanging out and getting into trouble. I've had trouble reading other "well written" messages and have had to read them more than once to get the meaning.

"Make Cake...not war"

For Pete's sakes people, it's over - cake_freak is also over it - and by the reaction she's the only one who understood the comments meaning - for some of us 'old farts' it was hard to understand. I can't speak for Momkicksbutt (I think that's right - didn't look) but I know for myself I personally was NOT commenting on her spelling! We all make spelling errors - that's natural and understood! I was commenting on the difficulty I personally had understanding what she was trying to say in it, and it would be nice to understand it without having to have read it 4x's. It had absolutely nothing to do with her age - I had no idea what her age was (by the way I also have teenagers, that doesn't mean I am fluent in the 'text' language!)! If anyone should be critized maybe it's myself, because by all of your comments obviously it was hard to understand MY intent! Really I am just glad that cake_freak understood it was not meant to critize her, it was just expressing that I am 'out of touch' and didn't quite get it...... get it?

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 10 May 2007 , 4:58pm
post #107 of 11980

I am a little jealous and proud at the same time that CakeFreak is so talented and knows she loves cake at sooo young an age! thumbs_up.gif As for the spelling comment-How Rude! I was an English major in college, too and while I notice every misspelling, I would NEVER point it out. Beashorty32 is absolutely right. It's like one of the golden rules they teach you in elementary school- "Don't say anything, if you have nothing nice to say to a person." Itsloops, I bet you are super proud of your baby. I have a twelve year old boy with C.P. If he wasn't in a wheelchair and didn't speak, you wouldn't know that there was something wrong. When he does speak, with an extensive vocabulary I might add, there is like a ten second delay and he sounds like someone put the tape-player in slow-mo. Some people have the nerve to ask me what's wrong w/ him or just plain, outright ignore him! He cannot spell at all, cannot even write (bad fine motor skills), but he has more to say than some "educated" adults I know! CakeFreak, pat yourself on the back for being a responsible, focused, talented young woman! "People" will always have an opinion, but you know what the saying is on that subject? Everybody has one (just like hiney-holes! icon_lol.gif ) Enough said! icon_twisted.gif

DecoratingDingbat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratingDingbat Posted 10 May 2007 , 5:10pm
post #108 of 11980

I have to say I'm also sitting here thinking it's funny how some people can be sooo understanding and supportive of each other as a community, then as soon as they misunderstand something they turn. I've gone back re-read my posts trying to figure out just where all this 'insulting' went on - sorry still don't see it. Is it possible that some of you are jumping in a little quickly and negatively? Before I EVER post any negative comments I think it over for a long time, most people (especially on this site, where friendly is usually the norm!!) do not post comments meant to critize or hurt other people's feelings, therefor they must have intended a different meaning. I do believe a little practicing what you are preaching is in order ... with that said - it's been fun CC.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 10 May 2007 , 5:17pm
post #109 of 11980

I personally, wasn't referring to anything that you had said DecoratingDingbat. I really don't think anyone else on this thread was referring to you, either. It happened way up, early on in the thread (someone else commenting on CakeFreak's spelling and grammar). I'm sorry if I sound like a lunatic icon_redface.gif . It just gets me fired up when someone says something so demeaning to another, when they don't even know them or their circumstances... We are all here for one another at CC, but when someone is rude to another, I think most of us take it personally. It's almost like a close friend is being attacked with no provocation. Sorry, again, if I MYSELF has made any innocent party feel attacked. icon_smile.gif

itsloops Posted 10 May 2007 , 6:12pm
post #110 of 11980

Yeah I think everyone was referring to the other CC member that posted about cake_freaks spelling and age.

I too felt she may have wrote something without thinking that CC is a very diversified site. There are people from around the work of different races, ages, sexes and some with disabilities.

As I said before, I have a 'special needs' child and I am so very proud of her. She is a junior in high school and has enough credits to be able to graduate in the first semester of her senior year. icon_smile.gif

Yes, some people can be nasty with staring and stupid questions but those are just the people I don't waste my time on. Not worth it.

She has overcome many obstacles, one of them being reading and writing. 3 years ago she could only read words such as cat, dog, mom, dad. She is now reading 3rd grade level. YAY!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

So lets all start on a clean slate and lets talk "cake" which is the real reason we all unite on a daily basis. thumbs_up.gif

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 10 May 2007 , 6:17pm
post #111 of 11980

Cake_Freak, your other cake is wonderful! WOW. You are an amazing person! Let's all just be supportive this should be a place people come to where they don't need to feel afraid to post in case they get criticized. Critqued is fine--as long as it's cake!

As for Wilton, they don't care what-so-ever about their customers. I asked for my money to be refunded for a terrible product and they basically told me that I must have had it too long. (a joke since I bought it minutes before my class!!) I almost want to complain to the BBB but I don't know if you can do that with a corporation like that. Anyone know of other companies? I don't. Anyway, as for MMF--I tried making it but it was too sticky to work with. I followed the recipe I found here so I don't know what I am doing so wrong when it's "so easy". WHY don't they TEACH you how to make THAT in class?????????

I will sign the petition but don't count on it making a difference.

Janette Posted 10 May 2007 , 6:54pm
post #112 of 11980

Orange Juice

cake_freak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_freak Posted 10 May 2007 , 9:09pm
post #113 of 11980

GIANT TWINKYS

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 10 May 2007 , 9:32pm
post #114 of 11980

I'm lost, what are we talking about?! Where did the OJ and Giant Twinkies come in?!I thought we were talking about nasty fondant and poking penguins, and the occasional rehashed tangent of grammar.

Janette Posted 10 May 2007 , 9:46pm
post #115 of 11980

When things get a little uncomfortable I say "Ornage Juice"

It seems to make people stop and say "Huh?" And, eases the tendsion.

itsloops Posted 10 May 2007 , 9:52pm
post #116 of 11980

OK I wanna play too.

Flat tire!!

icon_lol.gif

Janette Posted 10 May 2007 , 10:12pm
post #117 of 11980

I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard.

itsloops Posted 10 May 2007 , 10:20pm
post #118 of 11980

I'm getting "posting" fear.

You're right, this post has felt tense at times.

Bekah66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bekah66 Posted 10 May 2007 , 10:47pm
post #119 of 11980

Ok, now I am totally freaked out about taking classes at Wilton this summer. If there 'attitude' about their customers is so bad, I don't know if I should spend the money!

Has anyone taken classes at Wilton in Darien, IL? icon_surprised.gif

diamond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamond Posted 10 May 2007 , 10:53pm
post #120 of 11980

Hello everyone i see that someone is being not too nice to a very outgoing wonderful cake baker and decorator.... i feel her passion from online so lets all get along TOGETHER!!!!!! we are suppose to be Teachers of an Art Form "some have it and others don't" and right now i feel and see some dont have it thumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%