I Now Hate Wilton!

Lounge By cake_freak Updated 25 Jun 2007 , 2:05am by Heath

cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 17 May 2007 , 11:55pm
post #421 of 11980

Marcia Brady is 50? I guess I knew that....I'm almost there too! I'll be 45 in a couple of weeks! party.gif

I don't know that much about prices. Seems like I never charge enough. Most of my cakes I give away anyways. I've only charged for about 3 cakes....next charged one is going to be a 3 tier stacked present for a baby shower...don't know how much I'm going to charge her yet. Guess I should let her know since it's in a month! icon_rolleyes.gif

This weekend I'm making a firemans helmet for my BIL. He's graduating from the fire academy on the 23rd. My son wants a choc/choc with more choc for his birthday on the 24th. Man, with working a full time job and doing relay for life this weekend; I think I'm going to be busy!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:01am
post #422 of 11980

I can't remember, did I tell you guys about the Angel Food Cake cutter? Someone had a post about it and I've been looking for one. It is great cutting the cake because it will hold it in place for you.

Check it out

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=BE0625&SID=BISE

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:16am
post #423 of 11980

My name is Monica. I'm a 26 year old, stay at home mom. I bake and decorate cakes in my free time mostly as gifts for others. I have a two year old named Kairi. She is my pride and joy, of course.

muggwug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muggwug Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:18am
post #424 of 11980

thanks for the info cathyfowler662 I did hope they send me some because all we get here is the wilton. thumbsdown.gif I wan to try the mmf one looking for a good reciepe they all seem to be a little different

Janette Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:19am
post #425 of 11980

Have any of you used this

'Rice' Paper, 8 x 11, 100/pk

Draw your design on this edible, thin "rice" paper with non-toxic pens and fill-in with colored piping gel. When ready to decorate cake, brush reverse side with piping gel and lay on iced cake. Outline edge of paper with icing to cover edge - wafer paper melts into icing surface in about 1 day, leaving your design. Make several designs at one time. Save for later use when you need a cake on short notice. White. Choose from package of 100 (8" x 11" sheets) or package of 100 (6 1/2" diameter). Made from potato starch.

CakesbyMonica Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:25am
post #426 of 11980

I use rice paper to roll my kim bap.

Janette Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:27am
post #427 of 11980

What's that?

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:38am
post #428 of 11980

Ok, here is something to think about. Marsha from the Brady Bunch is 50

Yeah- and according to tabloids she just lost a bunch of weight and so did Tina Yothers! O, how I loved that show Family Ties...

AND O HOW I LOVE THIS THREAD! So, come one, come all!

Hey I think I remember that song Jeopardy!!! Wow Cathy & loops!! That is great and I hope they can get together and start a band! 20 years from now we can say, "I knew them back when...".

Loops happy driving, I hope it's not too bad. Remeber, we'll be thinking about you too! thumbs_up.gif

Monica, that is a great idea, I think I'll join in: My name is Nikki, I'm a 31 year old medical transcriptionist who works in the evening so that I can keep my 2 girls while my husband (Danny) works and they don't have to go to daycare. Right now I only bake as a hobby, though since joining this forum I have been wanting to do so much more. I have been baking for many, many years though I really, really suck at the decorating part.

What about everyone else??

nrctermite Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:43am
post #429 of 11980

I've never used rice paper, I don't understand it. I'm a visual person, I need to see it being used.

But I do hate the taste of Wilton's fondant.

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 18 May 2007 , 1:01am
post #430 of 11980

I don't care what anyone posts, personally, except that I thought some people were a little harsh criticizing others...mostly because I was a member here for MONTHS before I posted, I was too afraid! icon_smile.gif I think this thread, rope, whatever, is soooooo funny...I laugh at work all day and people look at me! Ok, I am 34yo working mom who does cost accounting. I have an adorable son, Matt. I started cake decorating classes last summer after my newborn daughter passed away (my mom got them for me as a way to keep me busy). I immediately got hooked, spent LOTS (IMO) of money on everything Wilton and would love to be good enough to sell cakes one day. I am in AWE of most people here who work and do cakes on the side because I can't believe the talent here!

Ok, does anyone remember "claw hair" or those funky ribbons with feathers on the end you wore in your hair about the same time as zipper coats? Or that commecial for maxwell house where the son comes home at christmas and makes coffee and wakes the mom up...or was it folgers? It made me cry every time.... icon_smile.gif

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 18 May 2007 , 1:02am
post #431 of 11980

I don't care what anyone posts, personally, except that I thought some people were a little harsh criticizing others...mostly because I was a member here for MONTHS before I posted, I was too afraid! icon_smile.gif I think this thread, rope, whatever, is soooooo funny...I laugh at work all day and people look at me! Ok, I am 34yo working mom who does cost accounting. I have an adorable son, Matt. I started cake decorating classes last summer after my newborn daughter passed away (my mom got them for me as a way to keep me busy). I immediately got hooked, spent LOTS (IMO) of money on everything Wilton and would love to be good enough to sell cakes one day. I am in AWE of most people here who work and do cakes on the side because I can't believe the talent here!

Ok, does anyone remember "claw hair" or those funky ribbons with feathers on the end you wore in your hair about the same time as zipper coats? Or that commecial for maxwell house where the son comes home at christmas and makes coffee and wakes the mom up...or was it folgers? It made me cry every time.... icon_smile.gif

nrctermite Posted 18 May 2007 , 1:38am
post #432 of 11980

I don't remeber the claw hair but I do remember the feathers!!! I LOVED those things... okay, apparently I love everything 80s. I do remember that commercial too, but I'm pretty sure I never cried during it. icon_redface.gif

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 18 May 2007 , 2:55am
post #433 of 11980

WELL HELLOOOOOO THERE!!!

cathyfowler & nrctermite
OK Trip cancelled for good. Yay!!!

I didn't really want to do it. Of course, I wanted to help hubby and the pay was awesome but 420 miles?? Come on!!!

I must have been out of my mind.

Here is my story:

My name is Lupe, I'm 20-14 (another way of saying 34....he he he)
By the way Cathyfowler, we're both Gemini's. I'll be 20-15 on June 19th
and you'll be 20-25. Don't say 45.

I took a cake decorating class last Spring and I too became hooked.
I wanted to look for cake ideas, did a search on yahoo and found this wonderful place. I've been hooked ever since. I don't sell my cakes as I am not good enough or licensed but I have a large family (mexican of course!) and do cakes for them quite often.

I work full time, have 3 beautiful children, 1 boy and 2 girls. One of them being special needs. She is 17 and just a cutie pie.

I do customer service/office mgr for a small machine shop in santa fe springs. I'm married to a wonderful man who sometimes doesn't get me but we love each other. I need lipo on my butt, thighs, stomach and hate my new treadmill because it's evil. I hate Jenny Craig, Nutri-System, Weightwatchers, slim fast oh and herbalife. They were put on this earth to make my life a living hell so today I say to hell with all of them. Bring on the twinkies!!!!!

Oh! I saw Marcia brady on Celebrity fit club or whatever you call it. She was chunky.

Janette, I would honestly charge about $3+ p/cookie. That is alot of work you've put into them.

Sweetideas, I loved Claw Hair and banana clips and torn tops

Where's cake_freak?

Talk to me people!!!!

cathyfowler662 Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:00am
post #434 of 11980

I remember the folgers commercial, they show it now and I still cry. I cry at everything....my kids like to watch me at the beginning and the end of extreme home makeover because I'm always crying.

Ok, for me.....My name is Cathy, I am a 44 year old working mom of two teenage boys. Mike is 16 (next Thursday) and Brian is 13. Mike wants to be a race car driver and Brian wants to be a cop. I started taking cake decorating classes a year and a half ago and fell in love with it. I just wish I was better. I started TEACHING the "Wilton Method" in February, it's okay, I only teach one night a week. Right now I make most of my cakes as gifts for family and friends , but have sold three of them. I am a cancer survivor (6 years now) and am walking the Relay for Life this weekend!

cathyfowler662 Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:03am
post #435 of 11980

Welcome back Lupe! Glad to see you didn't have to do the drive. I will have to give up the computer soon. I just heard son #1 get out of the shower and he'll want his computer back! It's Thursday and he's allowed to play games. Then I get it when he goes to bed. I'll send him at about 9! I'll see you all a little later!!

cathyfowler662 Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:05am
post #436 of 11980

I don't know where cake_freak is. She was on when she was in school, but I haven't seen her for awhile. She might be sleeping after the all-nighter last night!

itsloops Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:07am
post #437 of 11980

Goodnight Cathy,
Well chit chat about nasty Wilton tomorrow.

Sweet Dreams. icon_biggrin.gif

cathyfowler662 Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:12am
post #438 of 11980

I made a deal with my son. He gets to eat ice cream, I get the computer for about 10 more minutes!! They killed my laptop and gave it so many virus' that it won't even start up any more, so now I take over his computer!

itsloops Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:14am
post #439 of 11980

Cathy,

That's great. I'm doing my hubby's invoicing right now.
why don't you restore the computer to it's original condition and install Norton antivirus?

I'm a bit of a computer nerd as well. icon_redface.gif

cathyfowler662 Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:14am
post #440 of 11980

I'll be back on in about an hour! See you later!

cathyfowler662 Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:22am
post #441 of 11980

I think that it would be easier to buy a new computer! Actually one of my son's friends from elementary school fixes computers and was telling his mom about my computer, so I think that I'll give him a shot at fixing it.....or then I'll buy a new computer.

CakesbyMonica Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:35am
post #442 of 11980

Hello again! I went on a never ending unfruitful search for a steady cake board. Couldn't find one.

My husband's name is Xaq. (Zach) He's a glazier (installs windows and their frames commercially) apprentice. No, he doesn't sell donuts. We just got married in December, but we've been together for 3 yrs, and knew each other for 4 yrs before we started dating. Our daughter is 2, she came a bit earlier than planned.

Where do you get cake boards for big cakes?

Juliequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juliequeen Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:48am
post #443 of 11980

Sometimes I make my cakeboard out of foam core

itsloops Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:49am
post #444 of 11980

Monica,
I used to work for Seay & Assoc. We used to handle the pension benefits for all the Glazier and glass workers. I know exactly what that is.

The last cake I made was pretty big. (The Thomas and friends cake)
and I bought some foam core board at Michaels. It worked great.

I'm going to celebrate my 14th wedding Anniv in August but I've been with hubby since 1990.

CakesbyMonica Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:53am
post #445 of 11980

I don't think it'd be sturdy enough. I think I'm gonna go back to home depot and have them cut 12x12 square wood for my board. It's gotta be strong to hold this cake up!

Oh, kim bap is marinated meat, some veggies, and egg all rolled up in rice. Kind of like sushi. You can roll it in rice paper to help it stay round and easier to slice. It's very thin, translucent white sheets. You get them wet and they become flexible. Kind of like wonton skins or egg roll wrappers, but different material and much thinner.

Juliequeen Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:59am
post #446 of 11980

Plywood should do it!!! Man I gotta see this cake!!! I hope you'll post pics.

itsloops Posted 18 May 2007 , 4:02am
post #447 of 11980

Juliequeen,
It's midnight in NC. What are you still doing up?

I don't have any cakes to bake this weekend.... icon_cry.gif

Juliequeen Posted 18 May 2007 , 4:07am
post #448 of 11980

Well... my computer monitor went out today and we didn't get a replacement untill 8 or so. I had to watch Grays Anatomy then had some things to do around the house. I stay up pretty late most nights.

Juliequeen Posted 18 May 2007 , 4:10am
post #449 of 11980

Besides, like the warning says this site is highly addictive!!! And with a title like NOW I HATE WILTON how can you not read it?

itsloops Posted 18 May 2007 , 4:12am
post #450 of 11980

My SIL resides in NC. Indian Trail.
Where are you?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%