What's Going On In The World

Lounge By kakeladi Updated 19 May 2020 , 10:07pm by SandraSmiley

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 2:45am
post #31 of 246

Dear Christie, you would not be human if the memories did not bring you pain occasionally.  Loss is just part of our life.  Try to cherish you good times and shed your bittersweet tears when you need to, but let go of the memory of the unfair, unpleasant people.  You will be happier and healthier for it.

By the way, I just play too.  Learn something new every time I go in the kitchen!  I am getting ready to try making an old garden rose, commonly called David Austin rose, which I've never done.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 3:07am
post #32 of 246

I made only one of the David Austin roses, quite a while ago.  I don't think that it's recognizable as a DA rose though LOL.

Just making the center bit was a lot of work.  Never made another one again.  

lvdenver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvdenver Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 3:16am
post #33 of 246

No Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!   

That's Not a Real flower??????????

That's amazing Sandra!  But then I shouldn't expect anything else from your works! 

Bravo!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 3:50am
post #34 of 246

Well my city just issued “shelter in place” rule so as of midnight no one is to be out except for emergencies Not much different than what daughter placed on me yesterday Big difference is now the city has authority to arrest you for being out & about At least that’s the way we understand it One of the things we noticed is how quiet it is......no road noise etc We tried to order delivery from a restaurant I like but they’re some 5-6 miles across town & had no way to come this far Through this we’ll empty our fzr for sure :) No big deal WalMart is w/in walking distance —if they have any food left when we need it:)

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 3:57am
post #35 of 246

Are you in NY too? I’m in Yonkers, NY (Westchester County)

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 3:57am
post #36 of 246

Are you in NY too? I’m in Yonkers, NY (Westchester County)

mahtc2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahtc2016 Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 4:11pm
post #37 of 246

Everyone just stay safe and cautious. I'm closing for the month of April, all my orders have canceled, and my son the paramedic said to stay home .Another son and wife just came off a cruise this past Saturday and said they tested no one. When they boarded temperatures were taken but not when they left so they have  self isolated themselves. Stores here are basically wiped out for now. My plan is to deep clean the bakery decorate it for spring/summer , learn to make new flowers, work puzzles and read. My prayers are for everyone. I live in WV.

SandraSmiley Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 5:01pm
post #38 of 246

Christie, I didn't make the David Austin rose above, MBalaska did and it is really amazing!  Very interesting configuration for the supports!  I've never made one, but one of my friends, who won the Cake Masters Sugar Florist Award a couple of years ago, shared a brief pictorial tutorial a few days ago.  I will try to post them.  I think it was five pictures in all.What's Going On In The WorldWhat's Going On In The WorldWhat's Going On In The WorldWhat's Going On In The WorldWhat's Going On In The World

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 5:08pm
post #39 of 246

Wowowow  thanks for sharing that!  It's a project... beautiful results!

SandraSmiley Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 5:13pm
post #40 of 246

You are welcome, theresaf!  Christine Craig is one of the very best sugar florists in the world (really) and she is so modest and humble.  She has shared several of they simple tutorials, but I didn't shave the others.  If I come across them again, I will save and share.

mahtc2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahtc2016 Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 5:32pm
post #41 of 246

Thanks for sharing that's beautiful !

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 5:40pm
post #42 of 246

Now how weird is this!!!!! I posted 2 hours ago, and the post isn’t here!!!!!! 

Ok....2nd time....... Ivdenver.....I apologized that I wasn’t criticizing you. As Sandra posted, you wouldn’t be human if you didn’t feel some sadness, hurt from some sad situations that have happened. I also posted that Sandra didn’t make the rose,  which I can see Sandra addressed. 

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 5:40pm
post #43 of 246

I am still working at my office for now - without anyone coming in - so I don't have the time to try making flowers but I figure that time will come soon enough!  Right now my commute is in the same town so from the house to the car to the office back to the car.  I haven't had to shop again yet so I'm good!

jchuck Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 5:42pm
post #44 of 246

lvdenver Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 5:44pm
post #45 of 246

My bad on that rose, Sandra.

And Props to MBAlaska for making the beautiful rose!  I am in Awe of such wonderful work!

lvdenver Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 5:56pm
post #46 of 246

Here goes.....lol

to MBAlaska, jchuck, and SandraSmiley…..

I'm sorry to whomever I messed up giving props to...I think I was, and still am tired...lol

It is indeed, beautiful work, and I know for a fact that All of you produce beautiful items.

And to jchuck….

I know there was no ill intent from any of your comments.  The same goes for mine.  I tend to get caught up in the story because to understand one instance, you need to know what happened before it did.  And like I told Sandra last night, I deal with stress (this virus) with humor.  So please know that the whole time I was typing last night, I was smiling, and laughing at how crazy it looks in black and white.  It happened, I lived through it, and here I am.

This is also why I don't like communicating through the typed word.  The receiver can read whatever tone they wish into the words.  In real life conversation, you would have known that I wasn't meaning any harm, nor was I angry.

To all of you...…

Stay positive, keep busy, and PLEASE Stay Safe!

:) :) :)

Christie

jchuck Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 5:58pm
post #47 of 246

I love making flowers from different mediums. I love using coffee filter paper, and clay craft clay. The latest I’ve seen is “wooden” flowers. Made from very thin pieces of shaved/planed wood. Definitely be trying those. I did a tutorial on coffee filter flowers.     https://cakesdecor.com/entries/1957-coffee-filter-rose

What's Going On In The WorldWhat's Going On In The World

lvdenver Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 6:01pm
post #48 of 246

These are really pretty!

And how appropriate for the first day of Spring.  At least I think it is.

Thanks for sharing jchuck

jchuck Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 6:03pm
post #49 of 246

Your welcome Ivdenver. I actually put out a big bouquet of artificial daffodils in my family room....wanted the touch of Spring.....  :o)

MBalaska Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 6:11pm
post #50 of 246

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 42 minutes ago

You are welcome, theresaf!  Christine Craig is one of the very best sugar florists in the world (really) and she is so modest and humble.  She has shared several of they simple tutorials, but I didn't shave the others.  If I come across them again, I will save and share.

absolutely!  Christine Craig is awesome, & so are you Sandra !!!

That is a nice photo tutorial & I'll save it to give it a try someday.  Thanks for sharing.  

MBalaska Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 6:14pm
post #51 of 246

If I remember correctly I followed a Maggie Austin tutorial on Craftsy for that rose.  

@jchuck..... you are really peaking my interest in paper flowers.  They are very colorful & lively.  Do you use the crepe paper also??

lvdenver Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 6:15pm
post #52 of 246

I give up!  lolololol

Whoever made the beautiful flowers...…

WELL DONE!

Talk to you all later.

PEACE!

MBalaska Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 6:17pm
post #53 of 246

@ivdenver,  Thank You for enjoying the sugar flower.   Cheers.

jchuck Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 6:22pm
post #54 of 246

Yes MBalaska I have used crepe paper, and foam too. Bought some foam medium from Walmart, can’t remember what they called it, but light as air and fun to work with. Also ribbon. Made a red ribbon flower for our 40th anniversary cake.What's Going On In The WorldWhat's Going On In The World

SandraSmiley Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 6:45pm
post #55 of 246

June, you know I have always been in awe of your flowers, especially  the coffee filter ones.  I think you could make beautiful flowers from toilet paper.....if there was any to be found, lol!

MBalaska Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 6:46pm
post #56 of 246

BEAUTIFUL @jchuck.  You know, there is so much lovely happy cheerful delightful talent in the cake decorating world.  Thank you all for sharing your beauties.

Hard to keep my mind on the miseries of life when viewing the beauty of all your creations. 

jchuck Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 6:48pm
post #57 of 246

Ha Ha Sandra!!!!!! TOILET PAPER.....what’s that!!!!  But you’re right, I probably could.....     :o)

jchuck Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 6:50pm
post #58 of 246

Yes MBalaska....Sugar Art can make ya feel happy....

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 6:53pm
post #59 of 246

That white flower is really great! It looks like it was made w/egg cartons? Well done!

jchuck Posted 19 Mar 2020 , 6:57pm
post #60 of 246

Ahhhhh......Thanks   ❤️❤️      kakeladi/lynne 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%