Happy Birthday Sweet Sandra :)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 3:14pm
post #122 of 221

Thank you, ma'am!!

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 3:25pm
post #123 of 221

Tomorrow would be my Mom's birthday, March 25.  For Catholics it's the Annunciation so like many other Italian women born on that day, her name is Nancy.  My Mom's name was Nunciadina plus 4 other middle names, but she was always called Nancy.  I was 22 and she was 44 when she passed away and that was 1982.  My 4 younger siblings and I do something together whether in person or by agreement on that day.  Tomorrow will be no different, but it will be by Facetime at 4:30 EST.  One of my brothers lives in AZ so we have to account for the three-hour difference.  Keeping memories alive with stories and our Mom's loving ways is what keeps us close - regardless of the things that keep us physically apart.  That would not surprise my Mom but I know it makes her happy.  

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 3:31pm
post #124 of 221

@Sandra Smiley Happy Birthday sista... oh, you got toilet paper?... I thought it was another cat!

and  @theresaf, my youngest child's b-day is also tomorrow... In the very feast of The Annunciation, he is a boy, but his middle name is Maria. I'm saving some precious eggs to make a cake for him tomorrow... my rascal is turning 6! My family will be united with yours tomorrow saying the Holy Rosary for you mom!

theresaf Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 3:37pm
post #125 of 221

@ReginaCoeliB Thank you! And I will raise my coffee cup and cookie to your boy!   Happy to celebrate with you too! 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 3:44pm
post #126 of 221

How wonderful theresaf to remember your Mom this way. 

And ReginaColeiB.....say a big Happy Birthday to your 6 year old. My oldest grandson turned 6 this past December 24th. I lost my Mom in 2002, and I still miss her.

theresaf......Since you said you were on Instagram, I actually sent you a friend request. So if you get a request from “junieprunie” ( my childhood nickname), that’s me. ❤️

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 3:51pm
post #127 of 221

Congratulations @SandraSmiley ! only a loving spouse can give such a perfect gift.  I laughed when my husband looked at a pack of toilet paper & said that it should last three months.  That's how a man could use it, a woman uses it every single time they go to the bathroom.  The maths way different.

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 48 minutes ago

I did post this on my FB page, but for those of you who have not seen it, I received the best birthday present EVER from my sweet husband!

What's Going On In The World

theresaf Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 3:59pm
post #128 of 221

June,

I am ultimate_treatsa on Instagram and my page is public so you can just follow me - I just friend requested you!

SandraSmiley Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 4:13pm
post #129 of 221

So sad to lose your mom at such a young age theresaf, but a beautiful tradition in her honor.  Happy birthday to your mom and to your big boy, Regis!

Lol, you hubby is a lot different than mine, MBalaska!  Mike uses at least as much TP as I and I suspect a lot more.

SandraSmiley Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 4:17pm
post #130 of 221

I recently signed up for Instagram and had no trouble establishing an account, however, I am unable to post anything from my iMac!  There are apps for the iPad and iPhone and every other devise in the world, but not my stupid Mac!  Dangit!

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 4:19pm
post #131 of 221

Theresaf: Tanti Auguri alla tua mama!

My son Dante will turn 7 tomorrow - he’s a bit bummed that we cancelled his party :(

you’re on Long Island! If you’re in Huntington, feel free to drive by my parents house and nail the door’s shut!!!! They keep threatening me that they’re going to leave the house!!!

jchuck Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 4:33pm
post #132 of 221

theresaf....got your Instagram request, and accepted...❤️

Sandra, on my old Apple iPad, I could access Instagram. Since receiving my new iPad a year ago, the bigger 15” , this iPad does not support Instagram. I can only access on my iphone 7. A hand me down phone from my son. Son gets a new phone from work every 2 years. So lucky mama gets the older one, which is still “new” to me. 

MerMadeBakedGoods

Happy Birthday to your son Dante. I have a Dante who lives across the street from me.

theresaf Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 4:37pm
post #133 of 221

Thanks Sandra and MerMadeBakedGoods.   My youngest brother was 7 when we lost our Mom and keeping her memory alive has always been more about telling Mikey what he never knew firsthand. 

I am in Port Washington but my one of my sisters is in Melville, and she's also good with a hammer and nails, MerMadeBakedGoods! Our Dad was a carpenter so we all know our way around a tool box!  Seriously if there's an issue please let me know and we'll help you as best as we can.  Huntington is really not that far from me.  And Happy Birthday Dante!  

I joined Instagram a couple of years back - mostly I was curious how it worked - so I made each of my nieces and nephews give me some tips.  It's a very interesting platform to me and when you have a public page somehow (!) people from all over the world can communicate with you if you tag it right.  I got my degree in Marketing back when dinosaurs roamed the earth (its so different now) but that's always intrigued me.  I don't post photos of myself on a public page.  I don't know why you can't post from your device Sandra - did you try kicking it!?!

theresaf Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 4:45pm
post #134 of 221

Thanks June - got it and already commented on your last cake post! ;)

jchuck Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 4:46pm
post #135 of 221

theresaf Both my kids bugged me to join FB. My daughter actually helped me, and helped create my fun sugar page attached to my fb page.

https://m.facebook.com/Clarkys-Cakes-243590725678622/

I joined because my daughter live in Halifax and it was a way of staying connected besides phone, to see pics. And my son was in Korea for a year. Now my son isn’t even on FB. Says there’s too much drama!!!! Both my kids are on Instagram, so I joined too. I’m not on Instagram much, mostly because I forget I have it!!!! It’s also another way to stay connected to people. The only thing I don’t like about Instagram is getting weird friend requests/ messages from weirdos. Some obviously men trolling, some disguised as women, that are obviously men. I just delete. Annoying.

SandraSmiley Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 4:46pm
post #136 of 221

I joined Instagram just as another way to communicate with cake friends.  theresaf, I guess Apple just doesn't support Instagram for the iMac.  As I said, they have an app for their iPad and iPhone, but not for the Mac.  I guess they think I too am a dinosaur for using one and I don't even have a cell phone....cause I hate talking on a phone! 

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 4:48pm
post #137 of 221

Yes - good idea!! Kicking it is my answer to everything!!! :)

I’m not on any social media, which is why I love being able to talk with you guys on here!!!

Thanks for the birthday wishes! I e now been told he’d like to make the original Yankee Stadium for his Cake tomorrow. Aaaaaaah!!

jchuck Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 5:02pm
post #138 of 221

MerMadeBakedGoods.....Yankee stadium cake.....Geeeeeeeez, no pressure!!!!

theresaf Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 5:16pm
post #139 of 221

Tomorrow for Yankee stadium  haha no pressure indeed! Cant wait to see it!

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 5:18pm
post #140 of 221

Clearly that impossible with a days notice..but I’m going to make a three layer six inch cake and see if they want to figure out a simple stadium design :)

Them being my kids: Luca (8), Dante (20 hours away from being 7!) and Stella (3).

We’ll keep ya posted as the day goes on!  

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 5:19pm
post #141 of 221

Prepare to be underwhelmed.......:)

jchuck Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 5:22pm
post #142 of 221

In case any of you ladies are so inclined. Paul Bradford, of CakeFlix, is having a a ALL DAY tutorial FREE, this Saturday. Teachers from all over the world. Of course times are going to vary by zones in the world. The actual times are listed by cake artists. Here’s the link. I’m not sure if you have to register, or just jump on the feed??

https://www.facebook.com/CakeflixOfficial/

theresaf Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 5:26pm
post #143 of 221

June - if you aren't following whiteflowercakeshoppe you may want to take a looky!  I'm fascinated at their skills

MerMadeBakedGoods - first of all what is your first name?  How about a sheet cake (or square) with half rounds on the one end so it looks like the view from home plate.  diamond with just the outfield wall/stands and you can tier the stands a tiny bit.  use standing up M&Ms for the fans (assuming you haven't already eaten your emergency supply of them!)

jchuck Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 5:43pm
post #144 of 221

theresaf Are you talking about Instagram???? If so, I can’t find whiteflowercakeshoppe on there?? Is your spelling correct??

lvdenver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvdenver Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 5:45pm
post #145 of 221

Hey everybody...…..Good morning....

I don't remember if it was this thread, or the 'Maybe...just Maybe' thread, but I seem to recall somebody asking for a substitution for an ingredient they were out of....Possibly Egg?

Well, I got this today....from the 'Taste of Home' cooking website newsletter.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/quick-baking-substitutions/?

And this one the other day, dealing with Eggs!  From The Kitchen Whisperer on Facebook and the other sites.

https://www.thekitchenwhisperer.net/2014/07/31/egg-substitutes-cooking-baking/?

I do not vouch for any of it...just thought I would share a place to start looking for substitutions.  It may be happening more and more, especially for those of use that are not 'Serious' bakers, and therefore don't keep a whole lot of stuff on hand.

Good Luck!

Peace!

theresaf Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 5:54pm
post #146 of 221

June I sent you a link to one of their posts,  I think I spelled it right...

jchuck Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 6:18pm
post #147 of 221

Yes, got it. Now following. Thanks. ❤️

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 7:01pm
post #148 of 221

Theresa : my first name is Meredith. And SINCE my parents gave me such a non-Italian name that my family can’t pronounce (they were trying to be super-American back then), when I’m in Italy people call me Teresa since it’s one of my middle names!

i love your suggestions...unfortunately were plodding along with a tiny round cake since the scale of it will match these RIDICULOUSLY tiny baseball men :(. I’m already regretting it :). 

Stay tuned!

theresaf Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 7:21pm
post #149 of 221

Meredith - One of my closest super-Italian friend is named Eileen and her sister is Joyce - pretty sure for the same reason as you!  We went the other way - my sister Antoinette is named after my grandmother Antonetta.  Somehow Antoinette feels Antonetta would've been worse!  My other sister is Maria and my brothers are Steven and Michael.  There are 47 (approx) other Michaels in our family so they all have descriptive names.   Mikey our brother, Antoinette's Michael. Michael Arizona, etc .  Yes you guessed it, my Dad's name was Michael.  And like Italians do, we also have other nicknames and not-so-nice nicknames for each other too!

If you have a chance and want a good laugh, watch the CNN clip of Chris Cuomo talking to his brother Governor Andrew Cuomo.  Thanks for calling in today, yeah, Mom made me.  You never beat me in basketball, Dad said you have hands like a banana!   My best laugh of the day and that could easily be my family.

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 24 Mar 2020 , 7:25pm
post #150 of 221

Ha! I saw it! There’s also a clip of mayors in Italy screaming at people to stay home which I also find hilarious...but there are some curse words in it :)

https://t.co/rkV06noy0U

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%