What's Going On In The World

Lounge By kakeladi Updated 19 May 2020 , 10:07pm by SandraSmiley

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 28 Mar 2020 , 3:09pm
post #181 of 246

hmmmm........... after watching public places, stores, medical care places, etc. on tv.  They've employed people to start sanitizing the door handles, stair railings, table tops, chairs, counters, & equipment in the room.    Makes you wonder~~~ if those places ever got cleaned up before the latest sickly scare happened???

lvdenver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvdenver Posted 28 Mar 2020 , 8:25pm
post #182 of 246

MBalaska…..

Not sure how many saw it, but on one of my F/B friend's pages she wrote that because the local Costco had to 'let go' the people who hand out food samples in the store (Not Safe), they offered them positions of the cleaning and sanitizing all around the store.  Those are Not Costco employees, but are independently contracted. 

I don't believe they are giving those folks the same pay, but it's Money coming in their households.  And Costco is trying to do their part to keep the public safe.

I am going to reiterate that I only Read the posting....I do not know the person personally, so take it with a grain of salt.

Stay safe!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Mar 2020 , 9:22pm
post #183 of 246

I am one of those “sample ladies” I was/have NOT been offered any replacement job ..... because since I have been on workers comp for the past 1& 1/2 yrs none fit under the restrictions the drs have me on I was never contacted by the company or supervisor of CDS ( company employing us) to this day! After about a week I went into the store & talked to the supervisor who said the jobs offered required 6 1/2 hrs & other stuff that I can’t do She promised to look further to see if there was *anything* I could do but I have heard nothing The jobs described were folding clothes or reshelfing items not bought or returned I also have heard some are sanitizing things might be

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 28 Mar 2020 , 9:34pm
post #184 of 246

Well Ivdenver Costco HAS hired the sample ladies to do all kinds of things, not just cleaning and sanitizing. Many of the sample ladies, at least at my store, are very “senior”. So Costco has them doing simple, less strenuous work. Costco has put them on there payroll. How much there getting paid, I have no idea. Now, I haven’t been back to Costco in about a month, so I’m not sure if the “senior” ladies are still working. Some may have decided not to because of there age, and the possibility, however remote, of getting the virus. 

lvdenver Posted 28 Mar 2020 , 10:14pm
post #185 of 246

Hey jchuck…..

Thanks for the verification of the story!  With so much misleading information on the internet....well, since it Began....it's nice to know some of it is True!

Stay Safe!

lvdenver Posted 28 Mar 2020 , 10:19pm
post #186 of 246

Kakeladi…..
That's horrible.  I'm really sorry to hear that they were so awful.  Not knowing how the companies operate, and being out of the workforce for 17 years (Disability), I don't know what to say.

But I am sorry that they couldn't help you.

Stay safe!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 29 Mar 2020 , 12:56am
post #187 of 246

We went to Walmart today for a few groceries and to replenish the cat food.  I noticed there were signs on the floor showing people where to stand, six feet apart, to remain safe.  There were still a lot of shoppers, but everyone seemed to be respecting the space of others.  Many things have been restocked, but the paper products isle is still empty.  I asked one of the employees if anyone at Walmart had contracted the virus and she said so far no one had tested positive.  Considering the number of people in and out of the store every day, I consider that a miracle!  In support of our local businesses, we also stopped and picked up dinner from a local restaurant....all closed except for takeout.  They said their business was pretty much the same volume, but takeout only.  I am happy for that.

jchuck Posted 29 Mar 2020 , 1:44am
post #188 of 246

Well, I finally found some flour Sandra.  Woo Hoo. It’s at a Bulk warehouse. We go there every couple of months to buy our coffee. I didn’t  even think about it, until Steve thought of it!! And despite my daughter’s fussing, were going to go tomorrow and get some. I’m going to look for some butter, bleach and a couple of other things we need. This store, like Costco, services smaller stores, like convenience stores. They also sell restaurant supplies. So many people don’t realize their open to the public. I buy my 25 lb of icing sugar there too.

And I’m glad Sandra you’re supporting the local restaurants. There was quite a, let’s say, spirited post on my community fb page. Members were discussing different local restaurants and some of the specials. Well there was a member,  fear monger,  who went on and on that we should all be ashamed of ourselves for picking up/driving thru or having food delivered. Saying we were all spreading the virus!!! Obviously if the health department’s thought that was the case, it most certainly wouldn’t be allowed. I found a really good article on take out during covid-19 and posted it. Added it was the right thing to do to help restaurants stay in business and keep people employed. There is a minimal amount of risk. I wish the Admins would kick this lady off the community fb page. She has caused trouble and stirred the pot many times. 

MBalaska Posted 29 Mar 2020 , 2:10am
post #189 of 246

just 2 minutes long.

SandraSmiley Posted 29 Mar 2020 , 2:19am
post #190 of 246

Oh my goodness, MBalaska, that was so gross!

Glad you found flour, June!  For a baker, no flour is like no oxygen!  I was short on Self-Rising Flour, and we did find 3 pound bags of White Lily (a southern made, very light flour) and Mike picked up three of them for me.  First time in my life I ever had a bag of flour that tiny, lol.

lvdenver Posted 29 Mar 2020 , 2:42am
post #192 of 246

MBalaka, jchuck, and Sandra, too

We have a store kind of like the one june is describing.  It caters mostly to bakeries, and decorators etc.  Its called Bakers Bodega.

They have good prices, even for a home/for fun baker.  But I don't need too many huge bags of anything.  10 lbs is about all I can handle at one time.  And, they are 10 1/2 miles away.  A Long drive for small purchases.  That is unless they have something I can't find around town where I live.

And on all the people, whether or not they are keeping their safe distances.....I was thinking....people should carry those 'selfie sticks' that were all the rage a while back.  That should be a good distance.  And if somebody gets too close.....Well, Poke 'Em!     kidding!

Oh!  there goes my timer....I made pizza!  Can't wait!

Peace,  Ladies!

lvdenver Posted 29 Mar 2020 , 3:38am
post #193 of 246

I'm being such a good 'Earth-child'   Sitting in my apartment, my dark apartment, with only the light from my TV and my laptop screen.

I'm honoring 'Earth Hour'...…...First time I've heard of the 'hour'.

Peace, all!

kakeladi Posted 29 Mar 2020 , 5:09am
post #194 of 246

Have never heard of earth hour:( What will they come up with next? Today we stopped at a grocery store and right as you walked in we’re pallets of flour & sugar —w/fair prices Probably should have picked ea but really didn’t think to until just now:( However they didn’t have what I was after......egg noodles — except for a small pkg for $5 Which I refuse to pay! no dry onion soup mix either —so tuna casserole has to wait Did find cheese so I guess in the meantime I’ll have grilled cheese sandwich w/tomato bisc soup :) YUM

jchuck Posted 29 Mar 2020 , 1:33pm
post #195 of 246

Yes we definitely sat in the dark for an hour. kakeladi/lynne...earth hour has been around for a loooooong time.13 years. We have observed since the beginning.

I didn’t watch your video MBalaska, be being in the healthcare field, I’ve already seen things like this. But it’s surprising how many people don’t realize how far water droplets can spread from a sneeze/cough. 

Right after I watch church online via YouTube, I’m heading out to the Bulk warehouse. And speaking of shopping...here’s a really good video to help when shopping during coronavirus. Whether going to the store or having delivery. And getting take out food.

MBalaska Posted 29 Mar 2020 , 4:51pm
post #196 of 246

using sterile techniques, good video @jchuck. 

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 29 Mar 2020 , 5:24pm
post #197 of 246

I’m sure many of you have a recipe like this, but I just made these with the kids and they’re deeeeeeelicious and just a smidge healthier than you’re average cookie. :)

I added 1/4 cup toasted coconut as well. 

SandraSmiley Posted 29 Mar 2020 , 5:47pm
post #198 of 246

The Trail Mix Cookies sound wonderful, MerMadeBakedGoods!  The world can keep their macarons, this is my kind of cookie!  Thanks for sharing!

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 29 Mar 2020 , 5:53pm
post #199 of 246

I just ate seven of them.

SandraSmiley Posted 29 Mar 2020 , 5:57pm
post #200 of 246

Haha!  That is why I rarely make cookies!  Mike and I have no will power and eat the almost as fast as they come out of the oven.

jchuck Posted 29 Mar 2020 , 6:00pm
post #201 of 246

Oh MerMadeBakedGoods That recipe has been around in some form another for years. I use to make these cookies for my kids when they were small. My age old recipe was “granola” cookies. They are soooooo good. 

lvdenver Posted 29 Mar 2020 , 6:16pm
post #202 of 246

Hi jchuck…..

I watched the video.  It had some great information.  I just don't see me being disciplined enough to follow all those guidelines.

I do try very hard when I'm out shopping (once/twice in two weeks) wearing mask, carrying my own alcohol spray to spritz Everything, and wearing outer clothing to remove and place in laundry when I get home.

I could go on, but won't bore you guys.  I do my best, and try to keep germs from entering my apartment via human bodies, and pray.  I've also become very diligent about taking my temperature daily (a few times) to make sure it doesn't get high.  I found out that I run Cooler than the 'average' person.  My R.N. Nurse niece, said some people just 'Do', and that my temp of 95.9 - 98.0 is okay.  More important to watch it if it goes up to 101.  (I apologize if I've already talked about this).

So, I will do what I can do, and God will allow what he's going to allow.  Because if there's one thing I Have learned, it's that no matter how hard, and well I plan for things to come.....Something different can always hit me!

Stay safe!

MBalaska Posted 29 Mar 2020 , 7:02pm
post #203 of 246

Quote by @MerMadeBakedGoods on 1 hour ago

I’m sure many of you have a recipe like this, but I just made these with the kids and they’re deeeeeeelicious and just a smidge healthier than you’re average cookie. :)

I added 1/4 cup toasted coconut as well. 

Wonderful recipe, just like my grandma used to make for us.  You can put in whatever you like. Our favorite was adding chocolate chips.  Thanks for sharing.

Quote by @MerMadeBakedGoods on 1 hour agoI just ate seven of them.

My Grandma used to make something like this.  They are wonderful, very filling and satisfying.  

kakeladi Posted 30 Mar 2020 , 5:46pm
post #204 of 246

Bump

MBalaska Posted 30 Mar 2020 , 7:34pm
post #205 of 246

Here it is............ the first article I found on the panic buying food being put in the garbage.  What a waste.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8168489/Social-media-users-slam-wasteful-panic-buyers-throwing-away-perfectly-good-food.html

kakeladi Posted 31 Mar 2020 , 3:54am
post #206 of 246

I can’t believe it:( Today I went to the bank only to find it closed!! Out of some 4-5 branches only 1is open — on the other side of town — about 5 miles from me :( I’ll have to wait now til my drs appointment 4/3 I was also going to stop at Walmart but when I pulled into the parking lot it was almost full & the people walking around were not wearing masks so I just kept going right out......I can wait ... not happily but it’s not worth the risk

jchuck Posted 31 Mar 2020 , 12:46pm
post #207 of 246

kakeladi/lynne  I’m assuming you’re not set up for online banking?? I can’t remember the last time I was in a bank, with the exception of just using the atm to get some cash. But nobody is accepting cash right now. All strictly credit card. And I’m surprised about the busyness at WalMart. Ours here have been dead. My son has been shopping for the family at Walmart near him. He said that Walmart only allows very small groups of people at one time. They have dedicated employees making sure only so many people come into the store at once, keep social distancing. Each cart is thoroughly sanitized before given to each person. We have been getting our groceries delivered from a company called Instacart. We didn’t receive our delivery Sunday night. The employees just went on strike yesterday in the USA. Not sure about Canada. The rep told my husband that they don’t have enough drivers to deliver the groceries. We are fine, but there are many vulnerable people counting on Instacart to delivery there groceries. Big dilemma.  

SandraSmiley Posted 31 Mar 2020 , 2:07pm
post #208 of 246

We drove to Ashland City yesterday and picked up dinner - still trying to help out our local restaurants - and saw on of the testing stations set up in an empty parking lot.  We only saw one car, so not too many people showing symptoms, hopefully.

kakeladi Posted 31 Mar 2020 , 2:08pm
post #209 of 246

Oh how I wish the Walmart’s around here were even just close to what you described!! But maybe things have changed—I haven’t been in it for at least 7-10 days It’s just about a 1/4 mile from my home — usually I walk to it From what I saw there was no “control “ of how many people were going & coming There are at least 3-5 of them w/in about 5-6 miles of me but I didn’t check out the others—just the one nearest As far ordering I just can’t get used to someone else selecting my food:( I have that now w/ daughter I asked for a certain kind of toothpaste and of course she got something else that I can’t stand to use She got mad because i refused to pay $5 for a small bag of noodles I’m thinking of risking illness to shop myself if I could just get my car out of the driveway—she has it blocked The only reason I got to go to the bank was that she went out somewhere Well enough of my whining Somehow I’ll get through it

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 31 Mar 2020 , 3:11pm
post #210 of 246

Good morning!  I was all set to order through Instacart over the weekend but they said they weren't delivering - I guess in light of the strike.  Monday morning they were accepting orders for Friday deliveries.  The reason they and Amazon workers are up in arms is because they don't feel they are being physically protected enough.  I saw an Amazon worker say I work for the richest man in the world and I am expected to bring in my own PPE.  Whatttt?  Either in their plants or out at deliveries.  So if Amazon plants make workers feel unsafe tell me again why I should feel safe getting an Amazon package?  Yes, I understand that there's a delay in the time I receive it, and I'm opening my packages outside with gloves and throwing the package straight into my outside garbage and then wiping the contents of the package down.  But really is that enough?   Sorry - I'm on information overload overhere and I am trying to limit my news but it's hard.  

I did however, distract us with some peanut butter cookies this morning.  5 ingredients.  1/2 cup peanut butter, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon liquid egg whites. pinch of salt and a handful of mini chocolate chips.  350 for about 10 mins.  They come out a little soft and harden more once they are out of the oven. I used a mini scoop onto parchment paper and got 18 cookies   I mean  15 cookies, uh oh going fast

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%