Bump

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Mar 2020 , 4:12pm
post #62 of 246

Bump

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 20 Mar 2020 , 5:37pm
post #63 of 246

your title of "What's going on in the world".  Remember that emergencies & natural disasters can't be predicted. There is ALWAYS something going on in the world.  Somewhere, sometime, to someone.  This is an opportunity for everyone to evaluate their own situation. You may use this current event to sit down with a piece of paper & a pencil and start a list.  This list will be exclusive to you and your immediate family. Your list, your priorities.

What do you need??  Right now, what do you realize with a jolt of harsh reality, that  you need.  What should you have in your household, in your pantry, in your cupboard shelves, in your linen closet, your laundry room shelves, that you would need to keep yourself for a month. For two months.  Most crisis situations are short lived before some semblance of normalcy is restored.

Use this time wisely and look at the reality around you.  Then make your list.  When all has settled down to normal, use your list to intelligently and reasonably stock your home with necessities.  Only buy the things that you normally use, & actually would need.  Then rotate your food as you come back from the grocery store.  Do it like the grocery stores & restaurants do. Pull the stuff on your shelves to the front.  Place the new stuff from the grocery store trip behind it, then you'll always have a good rotation of food to eat & supplies to use.

This is the time to look at your home & your family for your personal specialized needs, in a calm deliberate rational manner.  Everyone can do this.  Everyone.  Every single one of you can do this. Maybe not all at once, in one paycheck, but slowly over time with your list in hand. 

You will not be able to stop the hoarders, the greedy, the crazies, the cruel, the fool.......... but if you have what you need you might avoid them, at least for a while.  That's what "Shelter in Place" means.  It just takes a tiny bit of preparation on you and your families part. You can accomplish this.  Take care of yourself.  Cheers.

kakeladi Posted 20 Mar 2020 , 6:47pm
post #64 of 246

Oh my dear.........you put into clear wording what we should be doing ......... besides asking how we each were doing health wise I wondered what each personally was seeing happen in their own neighborhood, city, country ....I still would be interested in hearing from everyone My state officially is now under “shelter in place” orders Is Yesterday daughter & I went to a garden center -got lots of plants Talking to employee found out they were allowed to stay open because they sell vegetable plants (aka:food!) Just finished planting them Should have lots of fresh food in 6-8 weeks :) For those who garden have you heard of tangerine tomatoes? Looking forward to seeing what they are like I’m always looking for different things to grow Discovered “lemon cucumbers “ a couple yrs back-YUM :)

MBalaska Posted 20 Mar 2020 , 6:58pm
post #65 of 246

What's Going On In The WorldWhat's Going On In The WorldWhat's Going On In The World

MBalaska Posted 20 Mar 2020 , 7:03pm
post #66 of 246

you mean to say......... what we USED to do.  

Quote by @kakeladi on 11 minutes ago

Oh my dear.........you put into clear wording what we should be doing ......... 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 Mar 2020 , 11:36pm
post #67 of 246

bump

SandraSmiley Posted 20 Mar 2020 , 11:40pm
post #68 of 246

My little sister's basement looks like this every fall.  She is still a pioneer and has the BEST food, straight from her garden.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 21 Mar 2020 , 1:00am
post #69 of 246

Oh my MBalaska those pictures bring back memories!!! That was definitely my fruit cellar as a young child. I can remember going to the market and buying fruits and veg to put down. Remember standing on a stool to help. The giant canner Mom had on the stove. My Mom couldn’t manage a vegetable garden in our backyard because she had a bad back. I remember talking my husband into getting a freezer when our kids were small. I use to freeze fruit and veg to save money. And of course by on sale and I baked.  I tried and tried to convince both of my kids to buy a freezer for there respective houses.  No go. Initially it costs, but a freezer pays for itself many times over. Sales on meat, veg, bread etc. I can tell you that is one of the reasons why we were so prepared when this pandemic started. My kids are always giving me a hard time,  teasing me that I freeze absolutely everything!!!!! Guilty as charged!!

MBalaska Posted 21 Mar 2020 , 2:07am
post #70 of 246

Those were historical internet photos, however the photo with the woman takes me back to my grandma's basement when I was a teenager.  My hubby grew tons of potatoes when we were living in Alaska. We kept them in burlap bags in our basement, in a cool dry place just like the top photo shows.  So very smart of you to keep your freezers full.  With a Food Saver machine there is not much that I can't freeze. 

With things the way that they are this month,  Kakeladi's garden, Sandra's sisters basement, & your freezer sound wonderful to me.

kakeladi Posted 21 Mar 2020 , 1:23pm
post #71 of 246

Another bump

jchuck Posted 21 Mar 2020 , 1:41pm
post #72 of 246

MBalaska    I also have a food saver machine. Had for years. I love it, and use all the time. But as of late, I’ve guilty using as the bags end up in the garbage, and in the landfill. I’ve switched to beeswax wraps for everyday use, and special beeswax wraps for freezing. I’ve Ben trying to find some type of compostible plastic bag to use in my foodsaver machine.

MBalaska Posted 21 Mar 2020 , 8:13pm
post #73 of 246
jchuck Posted 21 Mar 2020 , 9:15pm
post #74 of 246

Those bags look ideal MBalaska. But not sure they would actually work in my food saver machine?????

MBalaska Posted 21 Mar 2020 , 10:40pm
post #75 of 246

they are heat sealable, just not suckable...... ok that sounds silly.  lol

jchuck Posted 21 Mar 2020 , 10:48pm
post #76 of 246

Ha Ha....my good laugh for the day MBalaska!!!!!

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 2:37am
post #77 of 246

Mike and I have two refrigerators and a chest type freezer, all crammed full....for two people!  Go figure.  Also a pantry full of other staples, including seven kinds of flour plus semolina and cornmeal.  We could survive for a long time without going to the store.  We have a pretty good supply of kitty food too.  This morning, we did score a pack of six rolls of toilet paper and a pack of six rolls of paper towels, not the nice cushy kind but better than using our old socks!

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 1:59pm
post #78 of 246

Bump

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 8:04pm
post #79 of 246

What's Going On In The World

jchuck Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 8:06pm
post #80 of 246

Yes, this cake was on one of my fb cakey pages...

lvdenver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvdenver Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 8:08pm
post #81 of 246

That is Insanely funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Job!

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 8:10pm
post #82 of 246

This cake is funny! I have to admit the details on it are awesome.

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 8:28pm
post #83 of 246

Trying to find things to laugh about wherever I can - There is no flour to be bought ANYWHERE around me! Too bad baking is my coping mechanism :)

jchuck Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 9:05pm
post #84 of 246

FYI....This cake was made by a Canadian from Toronto, Canada.    :o)What's Going On In The World

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 9:33pm
post #85 of 246

Aha! I bet that’s why my Canadian cousins sent it to me!!

MBalaska Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 10:03pm
post #86 of 246

this is one time when a couple of Betty Crocker/Hines cake mix boxes in the pantry would be handy.  That tp cake is really well detailed!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=38&v=6MmzUysoBtQ&feature=emb_logo

what did I get myself into moving to Florida??

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 10:09pm
post #87 of 246

Haha I saw it on Instagram and my step-brother sent it to me too.  Years ago, my sister's boyfriend wanted a man sitting on a toilet bowl cake.  I said no way, every year for several years, then I made him a toilet paper roll cake instead!  

I've been working on making some short 3-4 minute cooking videos that I can share with my extended family. I realized a couple of things today. 1- my voice sounds horrible on video (I'm not showing myself just the food) and  I don't have a good stand for my phone. While I was pan-frying eggplant my phone fell into the oil.  Yep  duhhhhh  I grabbed the tongs and got it out and onto a towel quickly.  My phone is in a case so I guess those freaking things actually work because crisis averted!!  

So far I have a short video on my marinara sauce, fried eggplant for parmigiana and chicarina soup.  It's a learning process for me and I do like to teach myself new things.  Necessity is the mother of invention they say!

Hope everyone is having as good a day as possible.

T

MBalaska Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 10:15pm
post #88 of 246

Quote by @MerMadeBakedGoods on 1 hour ago

..........There is no flour to be bought ANYWHERE around me! ..................

now that's pretty odd for people to buy up all the flour !!

lvdenver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvdenver Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 10:22pm
post #89 of 246

I ran into Empty Flour Shelves last Monday morning.

Not that, but I have 4-5 neighbor/friends looking for it if they're out.  All I get is a continuous stream of "Not today...maybe they'll have some in a day or two".  But 6 days later, I still have no flour.   

In Los Angeles area...about 20 miles away...regular residential area.  And no Rice, either!

Good Luck to us all!   

:)

MBalaska Posted 22 Mar 2020 , 10:27pm
post #90 of 246

https://www.mredepot.com/Canned-White-Flour-p/fe032.htm

if you desperately need some ..........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%