Why Don't We Talk About Pies On Here?

Lounge By BellaSweet Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 4:39am by Luvsthedogs

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:36pm
post #31 of 331

i too love pie! i just made my first scratch pie (crust too!) a few weeks ago. it was peach and raspberry. omg, it was amazing! some of my favorites are banana cream and coconut custard. dh's is key lime.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:49pm
post #32 of 331

Ok, here is the pie dough I use. This will make enough pie dough for 2 pies with a top crust.. Enjoy!

12 c flour
3 T salt
3 T sugar
2 1/4 lb butter
1 1/2 c water
3 eggs
3 T vinegar

Combine flour salt and sugar. Cut butter into 1 T squares. In a separate bowl, lightly beat eggs and combine with water and vinegar. Slowly add the butter into the flour mixture. When the butter is fully incorporated, add in the egg mixture and fully blend in. Let chill in the fridge for at least one hour before using. This will be a wet dough, but will set up in the fridge.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:54pm
post #33 of 331

Here is the recipe I use for my crust. i found it on Food Network, but I don't remember who it was from. i wrote it on a piece of paper(printer was out of ink) and I didn't write what show it was from.

2 cups A/P flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter flavored crisco,cold
1/2 cup water, cold

Put crisco, flour and salt into a bowl. Cut in crisco until small pea-sized pieces form. Add water and toss with fork until mixture holds together, chill. Cut dough in half. Roll out to desired size. Place in pie tin sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Refrigerate until needed.

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:23pm
post #34 of 331

@stsapph--All those ingredients only make enough for 2 double crust pies? That does not seem right....?

My recipe has 3 cups of flour and makes enough for 2 double crust with some left over....

I use an egg and vinegar too, but NEVER salt or sugar.

Oooh I forgot about buttermilk pie...yum!
I have 2 recipes for Buttermilk pie that I like-

Buttermilk pie #1-
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
3 eggs, well beaten
2 tbsp. melted butter
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 unbaked 9 inch pie crust
Cinnamon
Combine sugar, flour, and salt. Blend in the eggs. Add butter, buttermilk, and vanilla, and mix very well. Pour into the pie shell and sprinkle with a little cinnamon. Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes or until the mixture is set.

Buttermilk pie #2-
4 tb Flour
4 tb Water or Milk
1 c Buttermilk
3/4 c Brown sugar
2 Eggs; separated
2 tb Butter; softened
2 tb Sugar

Preheat oven to 350F.
In a small bowl, beat the flour and water together until smooth. Pour into the top of a double boiler, add the buttermilk and cook over boiling water until thick,
stirring frequently. Beat in the sugar, eggs yolks, and
butter and continue to cook until the mixture is thick and clear. Remove from the heat. Pour the mixture into the cooled pie shell.
Bake until set and golden.
(If desired-) In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with 2 TBS sugar until stiff peaks form. Pour the meringue over the custard in the pie shell and bake for 8-10 minutes or until the meringue is golden. Chill before serving.

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:42pm
post #35 of 331

I would love to hear/see some recipes for some good pies. With Thanksgiving coming up my shop does so many pies and I love to have a variety

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:54pm
post #36 of 331

Mmmm...pies....I think we don't talk about them because they are not nearly as much fun to decorate. But for eating...yeah!

This is a GREAT pumpkin pie recipe from Epicurious, especially if you can get your hands on some acacia honey (I find it for very cheap at Persian/Mediterranean markets) http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/HONEY-PECAN-PUMPKIN-PIE-4356 Seriously, the honey makes all the difference, acacia honey is very light and floral tasting. Better than any pumpkin pie you've bought at any store, that's for sure.

And the same site also has a fantastic chocolate cream pie recipe. I actually used the pie filling as my chocolate filling for a cake once thumbs_up.gif http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/CHOCOLATE-CREAM-PIE-109139 I don't do the chocolate wafer crust, I have a recipe for a pie crust that tastes like a shortbread cookie, which complements the pie even better. Will post if I can find it.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:57pm
post #37 of 331

One of my favorite pies to bake is chess pie, one of those old time pies that you don't often see it these days. Here are my recipes.

Chess Pie
1 stick butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 8" prebaked pie shell
Combine butter & sugar. In a separate bowl beat eggs until frothy. Add sugar mixture to eggs, drop by drop (slowly). Add vanilla and beat well. Pour into pie crust and bake at 350 degrees for one hour.

Chewy Chess Pie
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup melted butter
2 Tblsp milk
2 eggs, unbeaten
1 8" prebaked pie shell
In mixing bowl combine sugars and flour. Mix well. Add vanilla, butter, milk and eggs. Cmbine thoroughly. Pour into shell. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until firm in the middle. Allow to cool before cutting.

And finally, my favorite, chocolate chess pie.

1 stick butter
3 Tblsp unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 8" prebaked pie shell
Combine butter, cocoa & sugar. Add milk, eggs and vanilla, beating until well incorporated. Pour into prebaked shell. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

Bettina

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:14pm
post #38 of 331

I'm a good cake baker, so,so decorator, but a great pie baker. My favorites are plum streusel- baked in a paper sack. The paper sack does keep the crust from burning, but more importantly it allows steam to bring the filling to a good boil. I've seen my plum pie baked without the bag and it's OK, but with the bag those purple plums turn a glorious red burgundy color and taste like heaven. A couple of warnings about baking with a grocery bag- place on cookie sheet so the bag doesn't hang over and open the bag with great care- the steam can burn you very easily. Also if your gas oven is touchy and flares, don't try it. A girl friend did and the bag caught fire.

Another favorite is Wild Orange Meringue Pie, I use my mother's Lemon Meringue Pie recipe. The problem now is I have no source for wild oranges; wild oranges are tart like a lemon, but they are definitely orange.

My third favorite is Amethyst Pie made from frozen blueberries and ground cranberries. actually I love almost any kind of pie except Raisin, Shoo fly and Rhubarb.

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:22pm
post #39 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahpierce

My favorite pie ever is from The Elegant Farmer. It is over by Milwaukee. They bake their apple pies in a brown bag coated with butter. The pie crust is carmilized and completely orgasmic. No, I didn't mean organic. icon_biggrin.gif Has anyone ever heard of this method, or know how to do this? I would love to try, but I am deathly afraid of the combination of fire from my gas oven, butter and paper. I have renters insurance, but I don't think it covers ignorance.

haha Great post! For the last few years for my birthday I have actually opted for a banana cream pie instead of cake!

Now that I am baking some awesome cakes, my new fav is my chocolate strawberry cake with heavy whipped cream. That will be my birthday cake this year.

But there is always room for pie! My mom used to get a black bottom pie that was german chocolate. Aewesome!

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:46pm
post #40 of 331

I have to agree - there is just something "comforting" about pie. I have a good recipe for a cherry pie that I will post and I'm in search of the perfect Coconut Cream Pie (topped with meringue) and a perfect Key Lime Pie.

Anyone care to share their recipes? icon_biggrin.gif

BethHansen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethHansen Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:58pm
post #41 of 331

This is the pie crust recipe my mom always used and now I don't use anything else! It is super simple and defies all pastry rules, but turns out delicious every time. It only works for a bottom crust though - I love to use for my apple pie with a crumbly brown sugar top.

In a 9" pie pan combine:
1 1/2 cups flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. oil
2 Tbsp. cold milk

Pat in the bottom and up the sides of your pie pan. DO NOT ROLL OUT!!

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:59pm
post #42 of 331

My grandma's crust was unbelievable! She used milk instead of water. Which back in her day would have been scandalous! So the recipe was kept very secret. I now have it but it never turns out the same. icon_cry.gif
Love apple pie, and Chocolate cream pie! Can't wait till Oct. to make an apple pie!
Jen...

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:01am
post #43 of 331

[quote="bettinashoe"]One of my favorite pies to bake is chess pie, one of those old time pies that you don't often see it these days. Here are my recipes.

Chess Pie
1 stick butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 8" prebaked pie shell
Combine butter & sugar. In a separate bowl beat eggs until frothy. Add sugar mixture to eggs, drop by drop (slowly). Add vanilla and beat well. Pour into pie crust and bake at 350 degrees for one hour.

Chewy Chess Pie
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup melted butter
2 Tblsp milk
2 eggs, unbeaten
1 8" prebaked pie shell
In mixing bowl combine sugars and flour. Mix well. Add vanilla, butter, milk and eggs. Cmbine thoroughly. Pour into shell. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until firm in the middle. Allow to cool before cutting.

And finally, my favorite, chocolate chess pie.

1 stick butter
3 Tblsp unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 8" prebaked pie shell
Combine butter, cocoa & sugar. Add milk, eggs and vanilla, beating until well incorporated. Pour into prebaked shell. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

ooooh...i just love chess pie!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gifthumbs_up.gif
thanks for the recipe! icon_wink.gif

sadiepix Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:06am
post #44 of 331

My favorite pumpkin pie recipe is Julia Child's Aunt Helen's Rum Pumpkin pie..so delicious!

For coconut cream I just use coconut milk in my favorite custard recipe (Joy of Cooking, 1982) and then top with toasted coconut and meringue. No real 'recipe' per se.

@bettinashue--I LOVE Chess pie! I first had it at a flea market in Tennessee and I have been hooked ever since! YUM! Thanks for the recipes, I love trying new ones!

I tend to be a "tosser" when it comes to pie, and with the exception of custards and such I rarely follow a recipe. I love just tossing seasonal fruits with spices or mixing up the curd flavors for fun.

Narie--that Amethyst pie sounds wonderful! I never thought to mix blueberries with cranberries! Delish!
I see you are from Northern IN...I lived in Mishawaka for years! icon_smile.gif

Now I want to make pie...but I have to do birthday cake instead as I have already done the baking..darn!

I am sitting here just drooling.....

Now if we want to mix cake and pie (to save face in a non-cake thread, icon_wink.gif ) we could chat Innkeeper pie, brownie pie and yellow maple walnut pie...icon_biggrin.gif

sadiepix Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:29am
post #45 of 331

I got several requests for the eggnog pie and another, so if no one minds I am going to just add them to the thread here. (I don't want to look like a thread hog! icon_smile.gif)

*Eggnog Pie
1 baked pie shell 9 or 10 inch
1 tbsp gelatin powder
1/4 cup cold water with 2 tsp rum extract added
2 cups eggnog
1-5 tbsp rum, to taste
1 cup chilled whipping cream + 2 tbsp sugar
nutmeg

Sprinkle the gelatin over the water and extract (if using, not essential) and allow to bloom. Heat one cup of the eggnog to light boil stirring constantly. Then stir in the gelatin mix and amount of rum (or other liqueur) you desire. Remove from heat and add the other cup of eggnog, stirring well. Pour into a bowl and chill until the mix mounds slightly and is no longer warm.
Whip the cream and 2 tbsp sugar until stiff and fold a heaping cupful into the eggnog mix. Pour into the baked pie shell and smooth. Top with remaining whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg.

*Raspberry Cream Pie
This is not so much a recipe as the basics.

1 baked pie shell
1 batch vanilla or lemon custard of choice, a nice thick one.
1 batch un-sieved raspberry sauce, thickened (*see below)
Whipped cream or 3 egg whites beaten with 2 tbsp sugar for meringue.

*Raspberry topping
12-16 oz. frozen raspberries
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp lemon juice (or orange, lime etc.)
Few tbsp water
Cook the berries, sugar, and juice til the berries break down. Mix the cornstarch with a little water to make a slurry and then stir into the simmering berries. Cook until the sauce is no longer cloudy and has thickened. Allow to cool.

Pour custard into the pie crust. Top with raspberry sauce and then whipped cream or meringue as desired.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:44am
post #46 of 331

Oh yes, I forgot one oldie. Sometimes called Sugar Cream, Old Fashioned Cream or Hoosier Pie. Very good and very simple.

bettinashoe Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:54am
post #47 of 331

Luby, I have a wonderful coconut cream pie recipe from America's Test Kitchen. The coconut milk is what really makes this pie stand out above any other coconut cream pie I have had. This recipe calls for whipped cream on top but you could easily use meringue. The pie is just delicious.
Crust
6 ounces graham crackers
3 Tblsp unsweetened shredded coconut
1 Tblsp granulated sugar
4 Tblsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled

Filling
1 can coconut milk (14 oz)
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 Tblsp granulated sugar
3/8 tsp table salt
5 large egg yolks
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 Tblsp unsalted butter, cut into 2 pieces
1 tsp vanilla extract

Whipped cream and garnish
1 1/2 cups heavy cream (cold)
2 Tblsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1Tblsp unsweetened shredded coconut toasted in a small dry skillet until golden brown
1. For the crust: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat to 325 degrees. In a food processor, pulse crackers, coconut and sugar to fine crumbs, eighteen to twenty 1-second pulses; then process until powdery, about 5 seconds. Transfer crumbs to medium bowl and add butter; stir to combine until crumbs are evenly moistened. Empty crumbs into 9-inch glass pie plate; using bottom of ramekin or 1/2 cup dry measuring cup, press crumbs evenly into bottom and up sides of pie plate. Bake until fragrant and medium brown, about 15 minutes, rotating pie shell halfway through baking time. Set on wire rack and cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
2. For the filling: Bring coconut milk, whole milk, shredded coconut, 1/2 cup sugar and salt to simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to ensure that sugar dissolves. Whisk yolks, cornstarch and remaining 1 Tblsp sugar in medium bowl until thoroughly combined. Whisking constantly, gradually ladle about 1 cup hot milk mixture over yolk mixture; whisk well to combine. Whisking constantly, gradually add remaining milk mixture to yolk mixture in 3 or 4 additions; whisk well to combine. Return mixture to saucepan and cook until thickened and mixture reaches boil, whisking constantly, about 1 minutes. Filling must boil in order to fully thicken. (To determine whether filling has reached boil, stop whisking. Large bubbles should be quickly burst on surface.) Take off heat, whisk in butter and vanilla until butter is fully incorporated. Pour hot filling into cooled pie shell and smooth surface with rubber spatula. Press plastic wrap directly against surface of filling and refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours and up to 12 hours.
3. For the whipped cream: Just before serving, beat cream, sugar and vanilla with electric mixer until soft peaks form, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Top pie with whipped cream and then sprinkle with coconut. Cut pie into wedges and serve.

bettinashoe Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:03am
post #48 of 331

I've never heard of a pie crust with milk but I will have to try it because it sounds really good. Thanks for mentioning it.

Hoosier Pie? Do you have a recipe for it, Narie?

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:17am
post #49 of 331

Being a southerner, I love to bake and eat pecan pies. But one of my favorites is a tarte a' la bouille, which is a custard style pie baked in a very sweet dough. It's a simple pastry, popular here in Cajun Country. The dough is more like bread than pie crust. You roll it out much larger than the pie pan so that it hangs over the sides. You fill the pan with custard then fold the flaps over the custard.

My dad orders three of these from a lady every Christmas for my brother, sister, and me. The beauty of it is that by brother and sister don't eat them so DH and I get to take home all three!

I've never baked one, but plan to do so during the coming holidays.

(I also confess that I've never made a scratch pie crust. I use the premade, pre-rolled ones from the refrigerated section of the grocery store).

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:34am
post #50 of 331

I think this website is all about baking, you have to bake cake, right?That includes PIES!
What a wonderful post. I love pie. Let's get some recipes going.

Sour Cream Apple Pie

prepare 9in pie crust
preheat oven to 400'
Filling:
Sift 2 tablespoons flour 1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla
1 unbeaten egg 1 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg 2 cups diced apples

Bake @ 400' for 15 minutes and @ 350' for 30 minutes

Topping:
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup butter

Blend until crumbly. Cover top of pie and bake @ 400' for 10 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of: Mountain Potpourri Cookbook(Waynesville N.C.

Stephanie

mellormom Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:43am
post #51 of 331

Grandma's apple pie recipe: The crust doesn't taste different it is just much flakier!
Crust: 2 cups flour even (the even part is very important! icon_wink.gif according to Grandma)
2/3 cup shortening
Salt a pinch
Milk, go by feel (now you know why hers always turned out better. icon_smile.gif
Filling:
4-6 apples golden delicious where her fav.
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup sugar
2 tbls flour
Bake at 350 for one hour.
This is the best apple pie in my opinion! icon_wink.gif Oh yeah, don't forget to top it with lots of ice cream! icon_biggrin.gif
Jen...

mellormom Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:44am
post #52 of 331

What does chess pie taste like?
Jen...

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:57am
post #53 of 331

Yummy! Love Pie, can't wait to try some of these recipes! Thanks for the thread!!!!!!

I made a pie cake~ Does that count! icon_lol.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1199023.html

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:58am
post #54 of 331

This thread is making me hungry!! icon_biggrin.gif I was thinking in answer to the original question, pies are considered pastry and not generally decorated -- not like cakes, cupcakes and cookies are. Anyway, I'm glad for all the recipes -- they sound great! icon_lol.gif

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:03pm
post #55 of 331

Wow! This thread has got me drooling! I've always loved pie the most. I have been making Martha Stewart's pie crust recipe lately. It's pretty easy! I see a pie recipe file a brewing! thumbs_up.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:19pm
post #56 of 331

GrandmaG~I just followed you from the cupcake forum to here!! ha, ha.

OMG, I love pies!!! Where's fiddlesticks to make a recipe file for all of these recipes being posted!!!! I think this forum is going to turn into the cupcake forum as far as recipes! OMG, keep these coming!

RE: the brown bag apple pie....I also made the one from Gail Gand on Foodnetwork. I love it!!! The brown bag does NOT catch fire (which I thought too) and makes a perfect pie! The bag does get greasy, but is a novel way of presenting a pie for a fund raiser or just a conversation pie. Tastes delicious.

Key lime is one of my favorite, but I'll take ANY pie! Another reason for me not to go to work today....bake pies!!!!

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:28pm
post #57 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettinashoe

Luby, I have a wonderful coconut cream pie recipe from America's Test Kitchen. The coconut milk is what really makes this pie stand out above any other coconut cream pie I have had. This recipe calls for whipped cream on top but you could easily use meringue. The pie is just delicious.
Crust
6 ounces graham crackers
3 Tblsp unsweetened shredded coconut
1 Tblsp granulated sugar
4 Tblsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled

Filling
1 can coconut milk (14 oz)
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 Tblsp granulated sugar
3/8 tsp table salt
5 large egg yolks
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 Tblsp unsalted butter, cut into 2 pieces
1 tsp vanilla extract

Whipped cream and garnish
1 1/2 cups heavy cream (cold)
2 Tblsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1Tblsp unsweetened shredded coconut toasted in a small dry skillet until golden brown
1. For the crust: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat to 325 degrees. In a food processor, pulse crackers, coconut and sugar to fine crumbs, eighteen to twenty 1-second pulses; then process until powdery, about 5 seconds. Transfer crumbs to medium bowl and add butter; stir to combine until crumbs are evenly moistened. Empty crumbs into 9-inch glass pie plate; using bottom of ramekin or 1/2 cup dry measuring cup, press crumbs evenly into bottom and up sides of pie plate. Bake until fragrant and medium brown, about 15 minutes, rotating pie shell halfway through baking time. Set on wire rack and cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
2. For the filling: Bring coconut milk, whole milk, shredded coconut, 1/2 cup sugar and salt to simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to ensure that sugar dissolves. Whisk yolks, cornstarch and remaining 1 Tblsp sugar in medium bowl until thoroughly combined. Whisking constantly, gradually ladle about 1 cup hot milk mixture over yolk mixture; whisk well to combine. Whisking constantly, gradually add remaining milk mixture to yolk mixture in 3 or 4 additions; whisk well to combine. Return mixture to saucepan and cook until thickened and mixture reaches boil, whisking constantly, about 1 minutes. Filling must boil in order to fully thicken. (To determine whether filling has reached boil, stop whisking. Large bubbles should be quickly burst on surface.) Take off heat, whisk in butter and vanilla until butter is fully incorporated. Pour hot filling into cooled pie shell and smooth surface with rubber spatula. Press plastic wrap directly against surface of filling and refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours and up to 12 hours.
3. For the whipped cream: Just before serving, beat cream, sugar and vanilla with electric mixer until soft peaks form, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Top pie with whipped cream and then sprinkle with coconut. Cut pie into wedges and serve.

Hey Bettin,
I just have one question about the coconut milk. Is it the unsweetened coconut milk or the Coco Lopez Brand sweetened thick coconut milk?

TIA icon_smile.gif

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:41pm
post #58 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingersoave

Yummy! Love Pie, can't wait to try some of these recipes! Thanks for the thread!!!!!!

I made a pie cake~ Does that count! icon_lol.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1199023.html

I was going to say "No that doesn't count", but then I seen the picture-
YUMMY! That looks incredible! icon_biggrin.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:43pm
post #59 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellormom

What does chess pie taste like?
Jen...

Chess pie is the same consistency as a lemon bar, but it tastes different. It's hard to describe the taste.

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:55pm
post #60 of 331

I love pie too! Pumpkin is my favorite. I have this awesome recipe that everyone should look up if they have the time. There is a lady in California named Nancy Silverton who owns La Brea Bakery. She has a couple cookbooks out and there is a pumpkin pie recipe in her pastry book that is amazing! It is made with 1/2 cup of pumpkin and the rest is yams! Pumpkin pie in general can be gritty and watery. But using the yams, it takes out the grit but still has an amazing pumpkin flavor. It makes it taste smooth and velvet on the tonge. No one will know its not all pumpkin! I highly recommend it to anyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%