Why Don't We Talk About Pies On Here?

Lounge By BellaSweet Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 4:39am by Luvsthedogs

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 5:30pm
post #211 of 331
fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 5:32pm
post #212 of 331

tammy712.. Thanks a bunch ! It sounds like what I was looking for.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 5:41pm
post #213 of 331

We had some people over for our tailgate party last night and I was passing around all of the different kinds of kisses candies that I had found. One of the gals said she knows someone who makes gourmet cheese cakes and just makes up her own versions. She made some kind of coconut one and spread the chocolate coconut kisses on the crust before adding the cheesecake mixture. The kisses melted when baked and added a nice gooey chocolatey/coconut layer. My friend said it was out of this world! Can you imagine the possibilites with the different flavored kisses right now? Was thinking of the pumpkin kisses with this pumpkin cheesecake recipe!

fiddlesticks Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 5:55pm
post #214 of 331

Oh GrandmaG. That sounds like a great idea ! Juast add them whole and still in their orig shape ?

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:03pm
post #215 of 331

fiddle~if you like pumpkin cheesecake, I've been making this one for a couple years. It really is good and is very similar to the last one listed. I'm not trying to move in on the cheesecake posting, but I've tried this one several time and it's really good. Sorry that the ingredients listed at the bottom of this page.

Pumpkin Cheesecake from vickymacd
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177degrees C) and place the oven rack in the center of the oven. Butter (or spray with a non stick spray) an 8 inch (20 cm) spring form pan.

For Crust: In a medium sized bowl combine the graham cracker crumbs, finely ground ginger snap cookies, sugar, and melted butter. Press the mixture onto the bottom of the prepared spring form pan. Cover and refrigerate while you make the cheesecake filling.

For Cheesecake: In a separate bowl, stir to combine the sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and salt.

In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), on low speed, beat the cream cheese until smooth (about 2 minutes). Gradually add the sugar mixture and beat until creamy and smooth (1 to 2 minutes). Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well (about 30 seconds) after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat in the vanilla extract and pumpkin puree.

Pour the filling over the chilled ginger crust and place the spring form pan on a baking sheet to catch any drips. Place a cake pan, filled halfway with hot water, on the bottom shelf of your oven to moisten the air. Bake the cheesecake for 30 minutes and then reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees C (165 degrees C) and continue to bake the cheesecake for another 10 - 20 minutes, or until the edges of the cheesecake are puffed but the center is still wet and jiggles when you gently shake the pan.

Meanwhile whisk together the sour cream, vanilla extract and sugar. Pour the sour cream mixture over the top of the baked cheesecake and rotate the pan slightly to evenly distribute the topping. Return the cheesecake to the oven and bake about 8 minutes to set the topping. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Loosen the cake from the pan by running a sharp knife around the inside edge (this will help prevent the cake from cracking). Then place a piece of aluminum foil over the top of the pan so the cheesecake will cool slowly. When completely cooled, cover and refrigerate at least eight hours, preferably overnight, before serving.

Serves 10-12 people.

Crust:

1 cup (100 grams) graham cracker crumbs

1/2 cups (50 grams) finely ground ginger cookies, homemade or store bought

1 tablespoon (15 grams) granulated white sugar

4 - 5 tablespoons (56 - 60 grams) unsalted butter, melted

Cheesecake:

2/3 cup (145 grams) light brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 pound (454 grams) cream cheese, room temperature

3 large eggs

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 cup pure pumpkin puree (canned or homemade)

Topping:

1 cup sour cream

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated white sugar

GrandmaG Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:08pm
post #216 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Oh GrandmaG. That sounds like a great idea ! Juast add them whole and still in their orig shape ?

Yes, she just tossed them on the crust layer. Think of the possibilites with the different flavors! Raspberry, P.B. and those coffee ones I want to find so bad. icon_cry.gif

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 8:32pm
post #217 of 331

Thanks so much for both pumpkin cheesecake recipes. I love pumpkin cheesecake. I'm also very interested in trying the kisses on top of the crust. I'm not familiar with flavored kisses, but I'm not a big Hershey's Kiss fan. This is what we're talking about, right? Chocolate kisses? Where do you find flavored ones?

GrandmaG Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 8:36pm
post #218 of 331

You really have to look! They're at different stores in the candy aisle. Target, Walmart, Walgreens. They're a limited addition. There's pumpkin, candy corn, yogurt, neopolitan, peanut butter, raspberry, cookies and cream, caramel apple, and what ever kind you can find.

fiddlesticks Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 11:37pm
post #219 of 331

Thanks For the recipe Vicky! Hows your Son doing ?
GrandmaG.. Im sure you will find those darn coffee kisses SOON !

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:37am
post #220 of 331

Vickymacd- Sorry,I didn't answer sooner, but I'm not getting notices on this thread anymore. I grind the cranberries with the food grinder on my Kitchen Aid. I would guess that it is closer to the food processor grind. Yes, the cranberries cook completely with the blueberries which is why you get the beautiful amethyst color. Actually, this is my favorite 'winter fruit pie.' I make it when I can get fresh cranberries. I love the pops and crackles you get as you grind them.

bettinashoe Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:47am
post #221 of 331

I stopped getting notifications of postings also. I know some people mentioned earlier in the thread that they weren't being notified of new postings. Guess it's our turn now!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:03am
post #222 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettinashoe

I stopped getting notifications of postings also. I know some people mentioned earlier in the thread that they weren't being notified of new postings. Guess it's our turn now!

That's happened to me on several threads. icon_sad.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:28am
post #223 of 331

Narie~thanks for the explanation for this! I wouldn't have thought to do it that way. Glad I asked! it sounds great!

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 1:39pm
post #224 of 331

I have a pan that looks like a tall cupcake pan but with little removable disk bottoms. It says its a mini cheesecake pan.

If I bake a cheesecake recipe in it, should I line the sides with paper so that they come out when I push up the bottoms?

Also, how do I convert baking time from a whole cheesecake to mini cheesecakes?

Sorry so many silly questions, thank you for smart answers!!

bettinashoe Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:39pm
post #225 of 331

pamconn, the oil content in most cheesecake crusts should be sufficient for you to push the cheesecake out by pushing on the bottom of the removable disk. You may want to consider spraying the insides (and bottom) with a Pam-type product just to make certain. As far as cooking time, you'll probably want to cut it by at least third. You should probably start watching the cheesecake at the halfway point and keep a steady eye on it after that. The actual cooking time will depend on the size and depth of the individual pans. If you've made regular sized cheesecake before you will know when it is done (soft in the middle and done on the outside).

pamconn Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:31am
post #226 of 331

Thanks bettinashoe,

That helps. It's been awhile since I've baked one. I've been trying to get up the nerve to do it again.

bettinashoe Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 10:37am
post #227 of 331

Just make sure you run a knife around the edges before trying to remove the cake, pamconn, and that you follow the general cooking directions for your cheesecake, just reducing the time as approrpriate. I love mini cheesecakes--they are easier to serve and don't dry out. I use the mini spring form pans but from the sounds of it the pans you are using are even smaller and I would really love that. Are they about the depth of a popover?

pamconn Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 1:38pm
post #228 of 331

bettinashoe, they are 2 inches tall and 2 1/2 inches across.

I've used the pan for cupcakes and mini meatloaf.

GrandmaG Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:30pm
post #229 of 331

I thought this was an interesting pie pan.

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_BE6250

GrandmaG Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 2:32pm
post #230 of 331

What is your favorite way to seal the edges of the pie crusts? I never know quite how I should do it. I make mine like Martha Stewart showed but of course they never turn out as pretty!

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 4:58pm
post #231 of 331

Thanks for this thread I love pies my favorite is Peach; I buy it all the time at Marie Callenders Restaurant (I live in CA) but don't know how to make it. Any good peach pie recipe that you can share? TIA

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 6:09pm
post #232 of 331

This is the recipe I use for my peach pie. This is my grandpa's favorite pie. He will eat the whole thing.

Peach Pie

6 cups sliced fresh peaches(I've used frozen and canned also)
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup water
4 tablespoons peach flavored jello
4 tablespoons cornstarch
Crust
1 1/2 cups finely ground graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup white sugar
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)

Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, butter (and spices, if you are using them)until well blended . Press mixture into an 8 or 9 inch pie plate.

Bake at 375 degrees F for about 5- 7 minutes and let cool. If recipe calls for unbaked pie shell, just chill for about 1 hour.
Mix the sugar, water, jello and cornstarch in a large saucepan and boil for 1 minute, remove from heat. Fold in the sliced peaches, toss until well coated. Pour into the graham cracker crust, chill until well set. Serve with whipped cream a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. I usually sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar too. mmmmm yummy

PS sometimes when I don't want as much glaze, I scoop the peaches in and leave some of the glaze out

bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:03am
post #233 of 331

Boy that peach pie sounds divine!! icon_biggrin.gif

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:10am
post #234 of 331

Complete Pie Newbie here....I was wondering if I can get some assistance with my pie crust? The crust does not come out as "crisp" as I would like....rather it is a bit doughy.

Can you give me some suggestion as to how I can have a non-doughy crust.

Thank you for your advice

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 5:51am
post #235 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannie92869

Complete Pie Newbie here....I was wondering if I can get some assistance with my pie crust? The crust does not come out as "crisp" as I would like....rather it is a bit doughy.

Can you give me some suggestion as to how I can have a non-doughy crust.

Thank you for your advice

I had trouble with te dough for my apple pies being doughy. I just baked the crust a little before putting the pie filling in. Cover the pie crust with foil or parchment paper, make sure to cover all of the crust so the edges of the pie don't get over cooked, then fill with baling beads, dry beans or dry rice. Cook for about 5 minutes. That way the dough has a little head start and shouldn't end up doughy. HTH

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:07pm
post #236 of 331

I made a carrot cake cheese cake the other night. Sooooo good! I have been wanting to try making one after having a slice from The Cheesecake Factory. I used the new Duncan Hines carrot cake mix and their recipe on the Duncan Hines website. The recipe is suppose to make one large 9 in cheesecake. Instead I used three prepared graham cracker crusts and gave two out to friends.

I do think next time I make this I will increase the cheesecake portion to 1.5 and decrease the carrot cake by .5. I prefer more of a cheesecake to carrot cake ratio. thumbs_up.gif

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 10:02pm
post #237 of 331

Ok I will play devils advocate here!

Pie sucks, COBBLER RULES!!! icon_biggrin.gif
And cake is a close second then there is donuts and cookies and streusel and cheesecake...........

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:32am
post #238 of 331

I agree with sweettoothmom. I do cobblers instead of pies. Probably because I suck at pie crusts. And I will take a cheesecake over all others.

fiddlesticks Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 12:37pm
post #239 of 331

cheesecake yum!!! I dont know much about cobblers??Someone fill me in !

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 1:52pm
post #240 of 331

Cobblers, Crisps and brown bettys are all variations of pie with a crust on the top only or the bottom only. Oh and I think buckles are the same way too. I make a rhubarb crisp with only a crumbly topping, no bottom crust. To die for! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%