Why Don't We Talk About Pies On Here?

Lounge By BellaSweet Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 4:39am by Luvsthedogs

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:51pm
post #151 of 331

I would think the sweet potato and pumpkin pies would cover the veggies. icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 9:26pm
post #152 of 331

Too true! Forgot about that! icon_biggrin.gif

jjandhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandhope Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 10:52pm
post #153 of 331

Lanibird, where in West Texas are you melting? We are in Midland.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:00am
post #154 of 331

I have been LOVING this thread!!

When customers ask "how can you not gain 100 pounds around all that cake..." I always respond, "I really don't like cake...I LOVE PIE!!!!"

I have to admit, though, that I have never made a scratch crust -- until now. At this moment the Apple Pie in a Paper Bag is in my oven!!!! 52 minutes to go. I will let you all know how it turns out!!

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:49am
post #155 of 331

Oh man...I can't forget the Mississippi Mud Pie. Was always the first to go at picnics. Including the recipe if anyone wants it.

INGREDIENTS
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
3/4 cup white sugar
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 (3.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
1 (3.4 ounce) package instant butterscotch pudding mix
3 cups milk

DIRECTIONS
Thoroughly blend graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar, and butter. Press firmly in bottom of 9x13 inch pan.
Blend together half the whipped topping, 3/4 cup sugar, and softened cream cheese. Spread mixture on top of crust.
Whip together the puddings and milk and spread on top of cream cheese mixture. Top with remaining whipped topping.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 3:49am
post #157 of 331

WARNING- I just got a question on the Hoosier cream pie. It isn't setting up for a friend. I will see what happen for her and if it doesn't set up for her I will make it again and see what the problem is. In the meantime don't try it. My oven might have been hot (I added the time.) Wait until I find out what happened.

jjandhope Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:18am
post #158 of 331

I just tried the key lime pie. Like someone had said, I had never had REAL key lime pie. Just the ones you get at restaurants. Not knowing how to make it, I think I goofed it up. First of all,it is very hard to zest such a little lime and I'm afraid I got some of the white part in the zest. That may have been why there was a slight bitter aftertaste. Also, you could see the green zest specks in the yellow pie. Is that normal? I used the pie crust recipe from the Crisco site that someone posted. It was a dream. I rolled it between parchment and avoided adding any flour.

WIth all my doubts, it must not have been too bad. My sons friend who is spending the night came back for thirds! If anyone has any comments about what I could do to make it better, Id appreciate it.

Could I just use the lime juice and avoid the zest? Just wondering...

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 6:54am
post #159 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjandhope

I just tried the key lime pie. Like someone had said, I had never had REAL key lime pie. Just the ones you get at restaurants. Not knowing how to make it, I think I goofed it up. First of all,it is very hard to zest such a little lime and I'm afraid I got some of the white part in the zest. That may have been why there was a slight bitter aftertaste. Also, you could see the green zest specks in the yellow pie. Is that normal? I used the pie crust recipe from the Crisco site that someone posted. It was a dream. I rolled it between parchment and avoided adding any flour.

WIth all my doubts, it must not have been too bad. My sons friend who is spending the night came back for thirds! If anyone has any comments about what I could do to make it better, Id appreciate it.

Yes you could make the pie without the zest. I think it is better with though. I use a microplane which is perfect for zesting those little boogers. You could always just buy a larger lime for zesting too. I would highly suggest buying the microplane though, it's one of my favorite kitchen gadgets.

Did you happen to use a metal bowl when making the filling? I learned that the lime reacts to the metal which can cause an off taste. But, more than likely it was the pith of the lime.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 12:27pm
post #160 of 331

You could leave out the zest, but I find that it gives it a nice zing. And yes, the flecks are normal, another way you can tell if its homemade or not. But, if you don't like it in there, take it out, it's your pie! Do what you want icon_biggrin.gif

lanibird Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:06pm
post #161 of 331
Quote:

Lanibird, where in West Texas are you melting? We are in Midland.

A bit farther west. I'm in El Paso, so really far West Texas. icon_lol.gif

I've never made Key Lime Pie, but I do have to second the microplane grater suggestion. I love mine! Zesting is super easy, and you don't get any of the pith!

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:05pm
post #162 of 331

Lanibird-

Hi ! I am from New York. I will be spending the holidays witht sister and her family for Thanksgiving. They live near Sunland. We love to eat at the Golden Corral. We were there last year and visted the La Poste restaurant, Alamagordo, Ruidoso , couple of pecan farms near New Mexico. They live closer to the transverse mountain area.

How is the cake decorating scene in El Paso. Any cake supply stores you recommend. She usually buys her cake stuff at Hobby Lobby or Wilton products at Fort Bliss.

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 6:06pm
post #163 of 331

Hey Bettinashoe,

I just finished making your coconut cream pie and it's cooling on the counter. I can't wait to try it. However, the humidity turned my meringue into soup-GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I couldn't find unsweetened coconut so I just used Baker's Coconut (in the blue bag),

Thanks for sharing the recipe icon_biggrin.gif

lanibird Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 6:45pm
post #164 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundtdiva

Lanibird-

Hi ! I am from New York. I will be spending the holidays witht sister and her family for Thanksgiving. They live near Sunland. We love to eat at the Golden Corral. We were there last year and visted the La Poste restaurant, Alamagordo, Ruidoso , couple of pecan farms near New Mexico. They live closer to the transverse mountain area.

How is the cake decorating scene in El Paso. Any cake supply stores you recommend. She usually buys her cake stuff at Hobby Lobby or Wilton products at Fort Bliss.

I love going to Ruidoso! It's so pretty up there. DH & I hope to someday be able to afford a vacation house up there. That's a long way off, so for now we're just gonna have to be happy with renting for the weekend! icon_lol.gif If you go up there again, try stopping by The Inn of the Mountain Gods, http://www.innofthemountaingods.com/ , the buffet is actually pretty good. thumbs_up.gif

Maybe I haven't had good experiences, but IMHO the cake decorating stores here are so-so. I've went to two of them a few years ago, Grafton on McRae, and The Gallery of Flowers on Trawood, and they were ok. From what I remember it was mostly Wilton stuff, though Grafton did have a pretty nice selection of chocolate molds. It's been a while though, so maybe they have expanded.

There are a couple other ones, but each time I have called to see if they carry something they either don't have it, or don't have anyone who speaks english on site, and I don't speak much (if any) spanish icon_redface.gif .

There is a place up in Las Cruces Create A Cake http://www.yourcreateacake.com/ whose email newsletter I get, and they seem like they carry a pretty nice selection of things. I had my sister check it out for me once, and she said they had a lot of stuff there. One of these days I need to make DH stay home from work and watch the kids just so I can go up there. icon_lol.gif

I too buy most of my stuff at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or online.

Hope that helps a little bit! thumbs_up.gif

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 7:49pm
post #165 of 331

I hope you love the coconut creame pie, Luby. I always use whipped cream with it, but I know it will be good with meringue, too. I've used sweetened coconut before and it turns out well with it. Enjoy!

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 8:14pm
post #166 of 331

Just entered our local festival's pie contest today and used two of the recipes posted in this thread. Narie's Amethyst Pie received a first place in the double crust division and the Pecan pie with vanilla pudding mix received third in the single crust division. I also received a second place with Cranberry-Pear Pecan Pie. Overall I go $50 in prize money which I figure covers my entry fees and ingredient cost minus the lack of sleep baking until midnight!! Thanks for all the great pie recipes!!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 10:08pm
post #167 of 331

Yeah! Pretty color isn't it.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 10:42pm
post #168 of 331

That's great, christeena. Way to go!!!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 10:55pm
post #169 of 331

Congrats Christeena, I am glad you tried my recipe for the pecan pie, I just have two questions. Did you get to taste it and what did you think of it if your did taste it? Did you think it was easy to make? Oops, I guess that makes three questions.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:24pm
post #170 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahpierce

My favorite pie ever is from The Elegant Farmer. It is over by Milwaukee. They bake their apple pies in a brown bag coated with butter. The pie crust is carmilized and completely orgasmic. No, I didn't mean organic. icon_biggrin.gif Has anyone ever heard of this method, or know how to do this? I would love to try, but I am deathly afraid of the combination of fire from my gas oven, butter and paper. I have renters insurance, but I don't think it covers ignorance.

I just had to jump in, I used to live in Greenfield, and their pies are the best!!!!!! Their apple pies and then Kringles are my favorite desserts!!!!!!!

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:40pm
post #171 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettinashoe

I hope you love the coconut creame pie, Luby. I always use whipped cream with it, but I know it will be good with meringue, too. I've used sweetened coconut before and it turns out well with it. Enjoy!

Bettina,

OH MY - THAT COCONUT PIE thumbs_up.gif
It is absolutely luscious. I tried a recipe last week and it called for Cream of Coconut (the sweetened Coco Lopez brand) and there is no comparison. The one using the Cream of Coconut almost had a "chemical" type taste. Your recipe is so smooth and creamy.

We definitely have a winner here
thumbs_up.gif

christeena Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:55am
post #172 of 331

Thanks everyone for the congrats! Here is pic of the Amethyst Pie. It was very pretty but I need work on my lattice tops! icon_rolleyes.gif The Pecan pie from dldbrou had a very smooth consistency but I think next time I'll try the light Karo syrup for a lighter color and flavor! It was very easy to make and set up beautifully and cut cleanly! The judges liked it and the 2 pies that beat it were made by an old Amish woman with YEARS of pie baking experience!! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

maryjsgirl Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:01am
post #173 of 331

Christeena thanks for posting the photo you are awesome! I think your lattice looks great! Congratulations!

christeena Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:10am
post #174 of 331

Thanks! The trouble I have with lattice is that I take my pie baking cues from a great book by Ken Haedrich called PIE so I freeze my pie shell for at least 15 minutes before putting in the fillings. Therefore when I go to put on the lattice the edge is still somewhat frozen and I can't seal and put a pretty fluted edge like I'd love to do. Freezing my base shell has been key for me in turning out a great crust, even if the edge looks "crappy"!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:38am
post #175 of 331

Christeena, I do not think that the light Karo would make a difference in the taste, so if you prefer a lighter look go ahead and try it. I use the dark Karo, because down south the typical pecan pie has a dark filling. Again congrats on you winnings

christeena Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:48am
post #176 of 331

Yeah, I'm sure that the regional pie preference is key to a judge too, because the Amish women won first with a Pecan Buttermilk pie. I didn't get to taste hers but it had a very light color. Thanks again, dldbrou, for my placing in the pie contest. We will eat pie for a couple of days around here and then I will "forget" to make pie for awhile!! Until the holidays and the pie frenzy begins all over again!!

jjandhope Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:14am
post #177 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

Quote:

Yes you could make the pie without the zest. I think it is better with though. I use a microplane which is perfect for zesting those little boogers. You could always just buy a larger lime for zesting too. I would highly suggest buying the microplane though, it's one of my favorite kitchen gadgets.

Did you happen to use a metal bowl when making the filling? I learned that the lime reacts to the metal which can cause an off taste. But, more than likely it was the pith of the lime.

Yes, I just bought a new mixer and used it for the first time making that pie. It has a metal bowl. That could very well be the problem because it had kind of a bitter aftertaste. I will also try the microplane.

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:17am
post #178 of 331

How funny I came across this thread tonight, as I have just come from picking apples at the Elegant Farmer which is where the brown bag apple pie being talked about is from. They had signs all over their store that the Food Network will be there on Monday September 22, Darn I was only 2 days off!! icon_lol.gif Picked a 1/2 bushel of apples and am waiting for my apple kringle to cook before diving in. This is a recipe that we always had growing up.
Apple Kringle
crust: 2c. flour 3/4 c. butter 1/2 teas. salt 2 egg yolks 1/2 c. milk
Mix together and pop in refrig while doing apples.
Cut up 4 cups of apples (I prefer Macintosh, fresh and tart)
Mix 3/4c. sugar and 1 teas. cinnamon and pour over apples, mix well
Divide dough in half and roll half into rectangle. Put in bottom of 11x17 inc pan. Add apples on top, add a few small dollops of butter on top of apples. Roll out and place top crust in place. Take bottom crust and bring ends over top crust and pinch together. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until very lightly browned. While warm, spread a basic icing on top. Cool Enjoy! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
For the icing I usually just take about 1 tblsp of butter, 1/2 teas vanilla, add some powd sugar and a little milk to make glaze , and spread over top of kringle
Lori

maryjsgirl Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:24am
post #179 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohnlo

How funny I came across this thread tonight, as I have just come from picking apples at the Elegant Farmer which is where the brown bag apple pie being talked about is from. They had signs all over their store that the Food Network will be there on Monday September 22, Darn I was only 2 days off!! icon_lol.gif Picked a 1/2 bushel of apples and am waiting for my apple kringle to cook before diving in. This is a recipe that we always had growing up.
Apple Kringle
crust: 2c. flour 3/4 c. butter 1/2 teas. salt 2 egg yolks 1/2 c. milk
Mix together and pop in refrig while doing apples.
Cut up 4 cups of apples (I prefer Macintosh, fresh and tart)
Mix 3/4c. sugar and 1 teas. cinnamon and pour over apples, mix well
Divide dough in half and roll half into rectangle. Put in bottom of 11x17 inc pan. Add apples on top, add a few small dollops of butter on top of apples. Roll out and place top crust in place. Take bottom crust and bring ends over top crust and pinch together. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until very lightly browned. While warm, spread a basic icing on top. Cool Enjoy! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
For the icing I usually just take about 1 tblsp of butter, 1/2 teas vanilla, add some powd sugar and a little milk to make glaze , and spread over top of kringle
Lori

That recipe sounds a lot like my Grandma Goody's "Apple Slices". Brings back good memories!

mom2leelee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2leelee Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:35am
post #180 of 331

Wow this thread is growing fast! I love pies, baking and eating them! icon_smile.gif Especially this time of year. My favorites are real keylime, burbon pecan, and apple w/ cheese in the crust. I just found a Better Home and Gardens New Cookbook (first edition, first printing 1953) at a local antique store. It has some very interesting pie recipes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%