Why Don't We Talk About Pies On Here?

Lounge By BellaSweet Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 4:39am by Luvsthedogs

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 4:08am
post #121 of 331

maryjsgirl- I have made the chocolate chip pie. I do have to say OH MY....yum!

here's a pic I took

Nancy
LL

jjandhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandhope Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 4:57am
post #122 of 331

That looks so good. Ive made a choc chip pie before but I dont think it had a top crust. Im a chocolate lover. A lot of people said "Its so rich." I always take that, as "I cant eat this, its too sweet." But for me, there is nothing in that category.

Did you post a recipe? I might have just overlooked it.

I am about to go nuts for pie. I NEED to bake one (some--- LOTS!!!!)! icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 5:10am
post #123 of 331

Does this work now? I think I did it wrong before.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddmmx5vd_9dp5h9hhp

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 5:27am
post #124 of 331

Yes, it works now. WOW, thanks!! thumbs_up.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 10:39am
post #125 of 331

nickshalfpint~ OMG, thank you so very much for doing this!!!

Now we have nickshalfpint doing the pies, fiddlesticks doing the cupcakes, wow, who can we get to just make all of us dinners?????????? Ha, ha

Thank you both so very much!!!!

cakeprincess~that's a great Crisco site too!

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 10:46am
post #126 of 331

Okay, pastrygirl33, you're talking pie but I don't see a recipe for it! We can't challenge Canada unless we have a pie recipe to test. I'm just teasing although I really would love to have the recipe for your tourtieres.

CarolAnn, you can toss some of those apples my direction! Man, I'd love to get my hands on some fresh apples. You could probably add everything to them that you would put in an apple pie and then freeze the contents in premeasured amounts so you just have to take out one bag whenever you want to make a pie.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 10:52am
post #127 of 331

I think I'll definetly have to try the pear pie and maybe peach pie. We have 3 pear trees, 2 peach trees, and 1 apple and I've been canning for weeks! To bad you guys aren't closer could've had fresh picked when it was all first ready to go.

Apple butter is definetly a great idea..so is pear butter I found out. (so is pumpkin butter with the leftovers not used for pumpkin pie)

Ok now I'm hungry....

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 10:57am
post #128 of 331

Oh I love pies too! My kids LOVE LOVE LOVE them and will take my moms apple crisp over ANY OTHER SWEETS! icon_smile.gif

Now it's time for breakfast here...who's bringing me a pie? icon_biggrin.gif

vickymacd Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:12am
post #129 of 331

Who's bringing pie....karenm0712, your kids volunteered YOU!!!

JMarieSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JMarieSweets Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:50am
post #130 of 331

Pie is the best. My families new favorite is from Paula Deen Savannah High Apple Pie. It takes some work, cause the pie ends up about a foot high and its all apples. But so worth it. That's whats asked for birthdays lately

Paula Deen Savannah High Apple Pie

For the Deep Dish Pie Crust:
6 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups butter-flavored solid shortening (recommended: Crisco)
1 tablespoon salt
3/4 cup cold water

For the Filling:
24 apples, preferably Golden Delicious or Granny Smith, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced*
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

For the streusel:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup pecans
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup milk
4 tablespoons sugar

1 recipe Caramel Pecan Topping, recipe follows

*The number of apples depends on the size of the pie.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

For the Deep Dish Pie Crust:

Cut flour into butter-flavored shortening. Add salt and stir in enough water to make stiff dough. Knead slightly together. Chill dough before using.

Use 1/3 of pie dough for bottom crust. Roll bottom crust. Lay in pie pan.

For the filling:

Combine apples, flour, sugar, and cinnamon and mix lightly with spatula.

For the streusel:

In a small bowl combine together butter, brown sugar, flour, pecans and cinnamon. Layer this mix every so often between apples.

Using stainless bowl, begin layering apples slice by slice, slightly overlapping starting at the outside circle of the bowl and working towards the center. Push firmly as the layers build. Round off top layer of apple slices when you reach the top. Put a single layer of sliced apples in the bottom crust.

Take the pie pan with the bottom crust in left hand and the stainless bowl of sliced apples in right hand and invert. Put finger tips under edge of bowl to release the air and gently lift off. Press and firm apples and straighten. Add slices of apple to take away sharp edges (so as not to puncture the pie dough). Add slices of apples to top of pie to round off.

Add 4 tablespoons of butter pats on top of pie.

Roll out top crust using remaining pie dough. Gently place top crust over the mound of apples. Smooth the sides of pie crust towards bottom of pie pulling out on extra crust. Pinch down to seal 2 layers together. Crimp pie for first time. Cut extra crust with the back of a sharp knife. Re-crimp the edges and push towards the pie.

Brush with milk and sprinkle sugar rubbing your left hand from the bottom up to evenly spread your sugar.

Put 5 steam vents with a small knife towards the upper part of the pie. Do not vent at the top as it will cause the pie to split open as it bakes.

Bake between 350 to 375 degrees F for 1 hour, 20 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

Let cool for at least 1 hour.

Spread warm Caramel Pecan Topping on top of crust beginning at the base of the pie above the fluting and working towards the top.

Serving suggestions:

Drizzle caramel pecan topping with semisweet chocolate, milk chocolate, and white chocolate.

Cook's Note: To add candied pecans to pie recipe, use 2 cups of candied pecans, 1 cup towards the bottom, 1/2 cup towards the middle, and 1/4 cup towards the top.

Caramel Pecan Topping:
2 (12-ounce) cups melted caramel
3 tablespoons evaporated milk
1 1/2 cup chopped pecan pieces

Melt caramels completely in microwave. Add evaporated milk and stir until smooth consistency. Add chopped pecans and stir. Spread over pie starting at base and working in.

Yield: topping for 1 pie

JMarieSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JMarieSweets Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:54am
post #131 of 331

wow that ended up taking a lot of room. Sorry =)

vickymacd Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:09pm
post #132 of 331

Wow, a lot of work but sounds so delicious!! I think I may add this to my list that I want to make for my early Thanksgiving dinner. My son is coming home on leave from Iraq and I'm having an early Thanksgiving since he won't be here. He loves apple pie. So it's definately on my list if you say it's as good as it sounds.

Do the apples all cook as it's so tall?

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:20pm
post #133 of 331

Ok... I'm in the mood for pie now.. As for having it for breakfast, one of my family's traditions growing up was having pie for breakfast the day after Thanksgiving. I did that the first year I was married and my husband about blew a gasket! LOL. I told him it was a tradition in my family, he proceeded to call us all goofy and look the other way, and I proceeded to eat my pie icon_biggrin.gif He still looks like he's going to scold me sometimes, but he lets me do it. hehe It's amazing that after 6 yrs of marriage he still hasn't joined me in my pie breakfast. You'd think he'd give in by now icon_wink.gif Oh well. My 3 yr old daughter can join me this year- we'll see what he has to say about that icon_lol.gif

As for a recipe: Banana Chocolate Chip Pie. It's not scratch, but it's a great company dessert.

1 pkg (roll) Nestle chocolate chip cookie dough
1 1/2 cup cold milk
1 pkg vanilla or banana instant pudding
1 banana, thinly sliced
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
Cool Whip
3TB chocolate syrup

Place 3/4 of the cookie dough into a pie pan and press down on to bottom and sides. Reserve the rest of the dough for a later use. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown (it will be puffed up). Use a spoon and press the crust flat again; let cool on wire rack. Meanwhile, whisk together the milk and the pudding. Place in fridge and let firm. When crust is cooled, layer the banana slices on the bottom. Spread pudding on top of the bananas. Spread 1 cup of Cool Whip on top of pudding. Drizzle with chocolate syrup ( I usually use the bottled syrup and just make a giant swirl; then, taking a knife, I place it in the center of the pie, and bring towards the edges. It makes a cool spider web design). Sprinkle the top with chocolate chips and chill until ready to serve. Makes 8 servings.

vickymacd Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:26pm
post #134 of 331

sambugjoebear~Ooooo, that sounds really interesting. Maybe forget my turkey dinner and just have a ton of pies!!!!

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:28pm
post #135 of 331

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif WOW everyone!!! I had no idea a pie post would turn into this. Granted, it's not near as big as the cupcake one. But I am so pleased ya'll enjoy pie as much as I do. Thank you so much nickshalfpint for doing the google link. I am just loving so many of these recipes and will have to print them all out. Maybe I will do one a week icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif Anyhow, KEEP em COMIN!!!

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:34pm
post #136 of 331

Just give it time...the cupcake one has been around for a few months, and just hit 500 pages!!!

vickymacd Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:40pm
post #137 of 331

Holy smokes, I just went on Paula's site to see the Savannah Apple pie...
hope i can post this:
LL

nickshalfpint Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:41pm
post #138 of 331

No problem. I'm a dork icon_redface.gif and do this with all the recipes I find. icon_biggrin.gif

stsapph Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:43pm
post #139 of 331

ummm...wow!! that is one large pie!!! Kind of intimidating

nickshalfpint Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:43pm
post #140 of 331

That pie is HUGE!!!!!!!!! It is a really good apple pie. After DH and I watched that episode we gave it a try. It is HUGE!!!!

sambugjoebear Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:53pm
post #141 of 331

Um..yeah.. I don't think that pie would fit in my oven icon_sad.gif Looks really good though. I think I'll have to skimp on the apples though. lol

stsapph Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:00pm
post #142 of 331

ok...I might have to sacrifice my time (and waist line) and go to Paula's restaurant and try that pie... The line is normally wrapped around the block before the place even opens!!

vickymacd Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:19pm
post #143 of 331

I'm so jealous that you can go to her restaurant!! IF you can get in!
How cool is that!

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:24pm
post #144 of 331

CarolAnn, you can also do applesauce, apple muffins, apple crisp and about a million other things with them. I use applesauce in my cakes instead of oil and I bet they would be good to try to substitute.

Samantha, are you sure you're not my sister?? It sounds like something my sister would like to do, pie for breakfast the day after Thanksgiving! Um, one question though, how in the world do you have pie left over after Thanksgiving Day?? Never makes it to the next day around our house!! I love that tradition!

Pie, pie, pie, pie. I just may have to bake a pie this weekend. I'm feeing a cherry one with a lattice top!! icon_biggrin.gif Course I won't eat it, but someone that I know will enjoy it. I just want to bake it!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:29pm
post #145 of 331

Carol Ann- two more suggestions to use apples.

1. Apple sauce- Wash, core and quarter(don't bother peeling). Cook in the very large pot with a bit of salt and a genrous-but not too- splash of water until soft, run through either of food mill or a witch hat colandar with wooden stomper-Yeah, I know they are really called chinois- and freeze. The peel will stay in the food mill or colandar; and if using red apples, the sauce will be various colors from pink to coral. I had 7 bushels dumped on me one fall, I made a lot of apple sauce.

2. Pre-made pie filling for the freezer.
Generic Recipe
1 quart fruit (apple slices in your case)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon absorbic acid for fruit that darkens i.e. apples, pears, peaches, etc,- sprinkle this on before adding other ingredients.
3/4 to 1 cup sugar - (depends on tartness of fruit)
3 tablespoons quick cooking tapioca
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
Since you have apple, toss in a teaspoon of cinnamon.

Combine and place in foil or freezer paper extending about 6 inches beyond a 8" pie pan.
Cover loosely and freeze solid, remove from pan, wrap with lining paper seal, with freezer tape, lable and toss back in the freezer.

To bake- line a 9" pie pan with crust , unwrap the frozen filling, dot with 1 1/2 tablespoons butter and
Adjust top crust, cut vents and bake at 425 for 1 hour or until vents boil with thick bubbles.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:55pm
post #146 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettinashoe

One of my favorite pies to bake is chess pie, one of those old time pies that you don't often see it these days. Here are my recipes.

Chess Pie
1 stick butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 8" prebaked pie shell
Combine butter & sugar. In a separate bowl beat eggs until frothy. Add sugar mixture to eggs, drop by drop (slowly). Add vanilla and beat well. Pour into pie crust and bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
Bettina

Oh thank you thank you thank you for sharing this!! One of my favorite pies is the Butter Chess Pie from Furr's (ya, I know), and I've been looking for a recipe that was similar to it. All the ones I have found had vinegar in them, and while good, where not what I was looking for. This one looks like it will be!

Thank you again! thumbs_up.gif

sambugjoebear Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 4:07pm
post #147 of 331

Monica~

My mom always went overboard with the pies. She made 10 for 20 ppl. I think she started that tradition just so she could get rid of the pies faster. icon_smile.gif We always did "our part" and helped Mom out-trust me!

you could always freeze a pie ahead of time and then let it defrost the night before so you could have pie for breakfast. Just some food for thought icon_wink.gif

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 4:38pm
post #148 of 331

If anyone bakes a pie this weekend I want pics! icon_lol.gif

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 5:30pm
post #149 of 331

Whew, just finished! What a great thread! I love pie. And now, like so many others, I just wanna bake some pies! icon_lol.gif

This is one of DH's favorite apple pies. I know it's from Cooking Light, but it is really good! DH HATES healthy tasting food, but loves this! He complains that I don't make it often enough. icon_lol.gif Its a Warm Apple-Buttermilk Custard Pie. (tastes just as good straight from the fridge too! icon_wink.gif ) http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=434581

Here is the pumpkin pie I use. I've never noticed it to be watery or gritty, maybe because I use fresh pumpkin and not canned? icon_confused.gif This recipe calls for 1 pumpkin, but I've always just used 2 cups pumpkin puree since I buy pumpkins like crazy and make lots of puree to freeze each year. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mrs-Siggs-Fresh-Pumpkin-Pie/Detail.aspx

mmmmm, pie... icon_biggrin.gif

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:40pm
post #150 of 331

Samantha, you are too crazy!

Is there such a thing as going overboard and making too many pies?? I don't think so!

I'd be fun to do a "pie" thanksgiving. Everything for dinner in a "pie". Turkey pot pies, empanadas, apple and cherry turnovers, perogies, hm, what could you do with veggies in a pie? OH YEAH, no veggies!! PERFECT!! muahaha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%