Why Don't We Talk About Pies On Here?

Lounge By BellaSweet Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 4:39am by Luvsthedogs

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:55pm
post #61 of 331

I love pie too! Pumpkin is my favorite. I have this awesome recipe that everyone should look up if they have the time. There is a lady in California named Nancy Silverton who owns La Brea Bakery. She has a couple cookbooks out and there is a pumpkin pie recipe in her pastry book that is amazing! It is made with 1/2 cup of pumpkin and the rest is yams! Pumpkin pie in general can be gritty and watery. But using the yams, it takes out the grit but still has an amazing pumpkin flavor. It makes it taste smooth and velvet on the tonge. No one will know its not all pumpkin! I highly recommend it to anyone!

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:55pm
post #62 of 331

I love pie too! Pumpkin is my favorite. I have this awesome recipe that everyone should look up if they have the time. There is a lady in California named Nancy Silverton who owns La Brea Bakery. She has a couple cookbooks out and there is a pumpkin pie recipe in her pastry book that is amazing! It is made with 1/2 cup of pumpkin and the rest is yams! Pumpkin pie in general can be gritty and watery. But using the yams, it takes out the grit but still has an amazing pumpkin flavor. It makes it taste smooth and velvet on the tonge. No one will know its not all pumpkin! I highly recommend it to anyone!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:06pm
post #63 of 331

whisperingmadcow~you made your point in how delicious this pie is! Ha, ha, just kidding!!!

If you have the book, would you please post that recipe? Turkey day is fast approaching!! Thank you!

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:30pm
post #64 of 331

I have to toss in one of my old favorites from when I was young.

We had a large patch of rhubarb and I would always make rhubarb pie and rhubarb crisp (not a whole lot of things you can make with rhubarb!). I loved it, takes a lot of sugar to cut down on the tartness, but it was always great and such a seasonal flavor.

I have noticed down south here they do a rhubarb/strawberry pie, but totally not the same. Oh and a small vent here, WHERE DO THEY GROW THEIR RHUBARB DOWN HERE? In munchkin land?? The stuff I have seen in the stores is so thin and small, I could never imagine making anything out of it! yuck! We had such a mature patch, the stalks were usually over an inch wide and over a foot long. So much easier to strip the outside and cut for baking.

Ah, rhubarb.

Oh, and I'm totally craving some pie now, too! Pie for breakfast...oh yeah!

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:37pm
post #65 of 331

I still have rhubarb in the freezer from this summer, YUMMY! I don't put strawberrys in mine either. Our stalks of rhubarb are huge up here. Rhubarb bread is also very good. Or, I just dump some of the frozen rhubarb into a white cake mix add cinnamon and a strusel top, so good. O.K. now I'm off topic. But I do make an awesome custard rhubarb pie with meringue.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:35pm
post #66 of 331

You guys are making me so hungry!!! I almost bought apples at the store for pie but said no you need to wait until you get them from the farm this fall. icon_smile.gif LOL
Another good pie is Jello pudding pie. It is easy of course and pudding and pie crusts go so well together! I know it's not homemade (well it sort of is) but I still love it anyway. (chocolate of course. icon_smile.gif )
This is the best forum we have ever had on here I think! LOL
Jen...

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:41pm
post #67 of 331

Oh geez, I wonder if this is going to turn into one of those 9000 page threads like the cupcake thread... icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:00pm
post #68 of 331

bobwonderbuns ... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
That would be awesome ! icon_smile.gif

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:07pm
post #69 of 331

I am loving these recipes. For the recipe I use, I do key limes all the way. So the key lime recipe is this:

Crust-
7 oz graham crackers
2 tbsp superfine sugar
1/2 cup melted butter

Filling-
9-12 key limes OR
3 limes

4 eggs
1 1/2 c condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh lime juice

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Meanwhile crush graham crackers and the sugar to desired consistency. Not to a powder though. I actually like to leave in a few chunks. Butter pie pan both bottom and sides. Mix butter with crackers until moist. Pour into pan pressing to all sides and bottom. Bake for 5 minutes.

As crust is baking, pour in milk, zest, juice, and eggs into a bowl and whisk together until blended well. Pour into the crust and bake for 15 minutes. Once it is done in the oven, it will still be a bit jiggly. Leave on counter to set and come to room temp. Place in fridge for at least two hours. Annnnnnnd...... wah lah!!

My husband has literally eaten a whole pie all by himself. And he's not a big guy at all. Let me know how you guys like it.

Oh, also, this pie is pretty tart. So use less zest if you want more sweet.

Also, earlier someone posted about this being
cake central. but there are cookies, brownies on here. I know it is mostly cake. But I guess I see it all as baking. But is ya'll want maybe i will start a PieCentral icon_lol.gif Any one is welcome to join me. icon_razz.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:09pm
post #70 of 331

Oh yes, I have a recipe for Hoosier Cream Pie, or as Grandma called it -Old Fashioned Cream. I have her recipe and she was born in the late 1800âs. I have found a similar recipe and it was called Hoosier Cream Pie and supposedly dated to the very early settlement of Indiana- log cabin, mix it in the pie shell type of thing. Grandmaâs recipe combines white and brown sugar as well as heavy cream and ½ and ½, I suspect that the combinations were her way of creating the flavor of raw sugar and top milk.

Bessieâs Old Fashioned/ Hoosier Cream Pie

Unbaked 8â pie shell
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/3 cups ½ and ½ (coffee cream)
2/3 cup heavy cream
½ teaspoon vanilla
Grated nutmeg/cinnamon/or both

Combine dry ingredients. Stir in creams and vanilla pour into pie shell and dust with grated nutmeg, cinnamon or both. (The Hoosier pie recipe I found didnât dust the top with anything.)

Bake in 400 oven until silver knife comes out clean half way between center and edge. About 25 to 30 minutes. Cool and refrigerate.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:31pm
post #71 of 331

OK, maybe I was remembering wrong, I think it might be 4 pies...I was thinking 4 crusts....not full 4 pies...oops icon_biggrin.gif

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:07pm
post #72 of 331

@stsapph--okay! That makes more sense! icon_biggrin.gif

@bob--you can to decorate pie!! I do all sorts of pretty things to my pies! Intricate crust designs and shapes, caramelized sugar patterns, dough figures...icon_wink.gif
It's still baking, and we aren't asking for a forum, just a thread. Heck knows there are less relevant topics on this forum. icon_biggrin.gif

@whisperingmadcow--I am also interested in that pumpkin pie recipe, if only to see if the baker actually uses yams, or just calls sweet potatoes 'yams'. If she is in CA she very well could have access to actual yams, but I bet they aren't.

If you look on the canned "pumpkin" from the store, you will see that it often has very little to no actual pumpkin at all, for the very reason you said, watery and gritty. Dense creamy squashes like butternut are often used. If there is only 1/2 cup of pumpkin/squash vs. the rest in sweet potatoes, it is sweet potato pie.

I have to say I am sure I have never had good key lime pie ever. It makes me sad. The key limes I can get here are never very good, and I have never been near a place where they grow. I order it now and again at nicer restaurants, hoping it will be good, but it always seems to be the same pre-frozen slice of mushy on a cheap graham crust.

Maybe if I order the limes and make it myself it would be good? Are there recipes that don't use sweetened condensed milk? Must go hunting now...that is one pie I just don't know enough about!

I am about ready to toss these cakes and make a pie! icon_smile.gif

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:27pm
post #73 of 331

Narie...plum struesel icon_lol.gif amethyst icon_lol.gif please do share the recipes for these. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE icon_cry.gif

Dawn

BellaSweet Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:01pm
post #74 of 331

this is the first key lime pie I had ever made. I was looking for something to make my husband to show him appreciation. And I stumbled upon this recipe in one of my books. I had the book for three years before i realized it was there. Now mine is the only on he will eat. I know that I have seen recipes with cream cheese and no cond. milk. But again this is the only one I have ever made. I am in no way a key lime expert. I just buy the bag of key limes.

BellaSweet Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:22pm
post #75 of 331

I know it only takes five minutes. But just because something doent caost much to make doesn't mean it's going to be gross. thumbs_up.gif I love a good graham cracker crust. Anything cheap thing can be made good and tasty if it's done right.

I am so glad we have this thread. There are so many talented peopel out there. And sometimes I think we need a break from cake. icon_smile.gif I can't wait to show all this to my husband to see which one he wants to try first.

Forgot one more thing. Key Lime pie in the stores is green because they dye it. Homemade KLP will come out a light yellow color.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:29pm
post #76 of 331

i love this thread! pies aren't big where i'm from. it's just not popular but i love them. i always like scenes in moveis where they eat in a diner and have a piece of pie icon_biggrin.gif i love the tv show pushing daisies and the movie waitress for the same reasons.

i will try the key lime pie recipe BellaSweet posted. thanks! i saw Ina Garten make a frozen version but I don't like to risk eating uncooked egg yolks.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:45pm
post #77 of 331

This is the apple pie I've been making since 2003 (DH was on deployment and I had to do something to pass time, so I baked=)
Last year DH helped and instead of the caramel sauce from this recipe we used caramel(recipe from epicurious.com) and it was DELICIOUS!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/the-ultimate-caramel-apple-pie-recipe/index.html

BellaSweet Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:56pm
post #78 of 331

I love Gilmore Girls. They always have pie in stressful times. icon_smile.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:02pm
post #79 of 331

I've seen this recipe everywhere and now that I want to show it here, I can't find it. Just wondered if anyone has heard of it or has made it....
it's a lemon pie, but you cut the lemons extremely thin and place in pie and I think put a top crust on it. Truthfully don't know the rest of the ingredient, but just remember slicing the lemons thin and just laying them in the shell. I always thought this to be a very thin pie as well.
sorry I'm not more helpful. But it always caught my eye. Obviously not enough to print out the recipe.

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:12pm
post #80 of 331

Oh, I did not mean to imply that graham crust is cheap-tasting always, or that quick means bad, just that the stuff I get in restaurants around here seems to be made badly and cheaply, meaning not well or tasty. It always seems to be barely thawed, soggy and too sweet, with a dry tasteless crust (graham should have that nutty taste) and neon lime color. Ick.
I refuse to believe that is how key lime pie should be...and from the descriptions here it is not!

I think I will have do try to make a pear pie soon...have not had one in a long time. DH does not like them as much, but I do. With a wine poaching sauce and lots of ginger. Mmm.

Keep the ideas and recipes coming!! Yum!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:24pm
post #81 of 331

Dawn, no problem, I donât mind sharing pie recipes Grandma didnât until she retired, she was head pastry cook for a local restaurant so her recipes were her living. But these two are mine.

Purple Plum Pie

Use the silver dusted Italian plums- sometime called prune plums available in September. (I just saw them in the grocery store today.) Unbaked 9" pie shell
4 cups sliced, pitted, puple plums
½ sugar
¼ cup flour
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Spicy topping
Remove the pits and cut plums in to quarters. Combine with sugar, flour, salt and cinnamon. Turn into pie shell and sprinkle with lemon juice. Add spicy topping. Place in a heavy brown grocery paper bag. Be sure the bag is big enough to fit the pie loosely. Fold over the open end twice to seal and fasten with paper clips. (I staple the bag shut.) Set on a baking sheet â¦make sure the bag doesnât hang over anyplace...in a 425 oven and bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let it rest for s few minutes. Be careful opening the bagâ¦steam burns are bad. Partially cool to serve warmâ¦or cold.

Spicy Topping
½ cup flour
½ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ cup butter
Combine dry ingredients and cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over plums, mounding crumbs up in the center of the pie.

Amethyst Pie

A lattice top is very attractive because the filling is a rich purple/red color.

Pastry for 2-crust pie
2 cups fresh cranberries
2 cups frozen blueberries
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/8 tsp. salt
2 Tblsp. butter
Grind cranberries. Combine flour, sugar and salt: mix with ground cranberries. Add blueberries to cranberry mixture and pour into pastry lined 9" pie pan. Dot with butter . Adjust top crust and flute edges; cut vents.
Bake at 400 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown.

Vickie - that pie is called lemon slice. I made it once years ago. It was good the first day, but the second day the taste of the pith of the lemon slices came through... not so good. I though I would like it better if you peeled the lemons and then sliced thin and added back the zest. Alot of messing around, and I never tried doing it that way.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:41pm
post #82 of 331

Vickymacd...... Is this the recipe you were looking for. I love it. I love lemons. It is very lemony (is that a word?) I got it from lanierbb.com

Shaker Lemon Pie

Ingredients:
2 Large Lemons
2 C sugar
4 eggs, well beaten

Instructions:
Slice lemons as thin as paper, rind and all. Combine with sugar; mix well. Let stand 2 hours, or preferably overnight, blending occasionally. Add beaten eggs to lemon mixture; mix well. Turn into 9 inch pie shell, arranging lemon slices evenly. Cover with top crust. Cut slits in crust near center. Bat at 450 for 15 minutes, then at 375 for 20 minutes. Cool before serving

Comments:
Buy lemons with a very thin rind.

Here is another recipe for Lemon Pie, I've only mad ethis once. it's pretty good.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1637,144167-249197,00.html

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:44pm
post #83 of 331

Sarapierce I'm envying your frozen rhubarb! Send me some!!

I like the idea of the bread and of course putting it into cake. I bet it would be good in angel food cake. I add diced pineapple and it's so good!

I also do the pudding pie thing when I am craving something sweet and not very fattening. Premade graham crust (low fat one) and usually chocolate fat-free pudding made with skim milk, yum. Sometimes if I'm feeling like really treating myself I will get fat free cool whip for the top. Easy as pie to make (hahaha!) and not a lot of guilt. Of course if I shared the pie with someone else it would probably be better, but oh well! It's MINE!! All MINE!!! icon_razz.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:58pm
post #84 of 331

I've read bits and pieces of this post (sorry not to read them all, but can only grab a few pages before I need to get dinner on the table.)

A) Now I want pie tonight.
B) Pie is a lost art. Especially the crusts! My Grandma used to say that you "can't let your hand get out of it or you just don't make good pie." I agree. If I have not made a crust (mine are always scratch, just don't like the cold roll out types) in a good bit, then it comes out tough and not flaky.
C) Ahhh... Southern traditions... "Derby" (can't call it that unless it's made by Kerns) Pie, Sweet Potato Pie, Pecan Pie, Buttermilk Pie, and Shaker Lemon... Yummm!!!!

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 9:13pm
post #85 of 331

Narie...thank you for those recipes, they sound wonderful!!

Dawn

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 9:23pm
post #86 of 331

I just sat down to the computer after getting dinner started and putting a pie in the oven...and here's this fabulous thread on pies! Yippee!

The favorite pie in my house is Impossible Coconut Pie icon_biggrin.gif . It's super fast to make and way yummy. It's like a custard pie with coconut.

2 cups milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 stick softened butter
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup Bisquick or Jiffy Baking Mix
4 eggs

Put all ingredients into the blender. Blend on low speed for 3 minutes. Pour into a greased 9" pie plate. Sprinkle on 1 1/3 cups of coconut.
Bake @ 350F for 40 minutes or until top is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack, store in refrigerator.

We never store the pie in the frig 'cause it's never around long enough! My husband likes it warm, right out of the pan thumbs_up.gif !

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 9:49pm
post #87 of 331

Narie, thanks for the wonderful recipes! Sugar cream pie is one of my favorites! I think it's a Hoosier thing. icon_wink.gif I like the idea of adding brown sugar to the pie. I had a brown sugar pie once that was so delicious!

I am a pie person. Since I was a child I have always requested pumpkin pie for my birthday cake.

Some of my favorites are...

Toll House Pie (I sub butterscotch and toffee chips for the chocolate chips)
Key Lime
Pumpkin
Sugar Cream
Millionaire Pies

I am lucky to live around a lot of Amish communities so a great pie is never too far away.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 9:51pm
post #88 of 331

maryjsgirl.. Can you share a recipe for the Toll House Pie. I have never heard of that one ?It sounds delish !

BellaSweet Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 9:59pm
post #89 of 331

OH MY GRACIOUS!!!!!! MILLIONAIRE PIE. OH PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN YOU POST THE RECIPE???? icon_biggrin.gif We have a buffet restaraunt called Furr's. And they are the only ones where I can find Millionaire pie. I would love to have this recipe if someone knows it.
PS. I was yelling in the beginning. But with extreme excitement!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:10pm
post #90 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaSweet

And sometimes I think we need a break from cake. icon_smile.gif

WHAT??!! CURSE YOU!!! icon_twisted.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%