Why Don't We Talk About Pies On Here?

Lounge By BellaSweet Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 4:39am by Luvsthedogs

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:21pm
post #91 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

maryjsgirl.. Can you share a recipe for the Toll House Pie. I have never heard of that one ?It sounds delish !

Here is the link to the recipe I use for the Toll House pie. There is also a picture you can drool over. This is a pie perfect for those of use that love taking our chocolate chip cookies out a little early for the gooey centers.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Toll-House-Pie-I/Detail.aspx

I like to sub an equal amount of butterscotch and toffee chips for the chocolate chips the recipe calls for. Also use pecans instead of the walnuts. Makes a great "kicked up a notch" pecan pie.

The original recipe is delish too don't get me wrong.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:25pm
post #92 of 331

It's unsweetened coconut milk, Luby. Most Asian sections of grocery stores have it. I wouldn't use sweetened coconut milk. However, if you have a difficult time finding unsweetened coconut you can use sweetened. I've had to do that occasionally and it really doesn't change the flavor much. I can only find the unsweetened coconut at the health food store.

As far as the taste of chess pie goes, it is difficult to describe. The filling cooks up rich, thick and sweet, but it is really unlike anything I've tasted before. Somewhat like a baked custard pie, but not exactly. You'll have to try one.

maryjsgirl Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:29pm
post #93 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaSweet

OH MY GRACIOUS!!!!!! MILLIONAIRE PIE. OH PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN YOU POST THE RECIPE???? icon_biggrin.gif We have a buffet restaraunt called Furr's. And they are the only ones where I can find Millionaire pie. I would love to have this recipe if someone knows it.
PS. I was yelling in the beginning. But with extreme excitement!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Furr's recipe is actually online!

http://www.bigoven.com/89006-Furrs-Millionaire-Pie-recipe.html

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:31pm
post #94 of 331

nickshalfpint~ yes, this is the pie! I just can't imagine how this turns out. Maybe a weekend pie project. Thanks for finding it!!

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:36pm
post #95 of 331

Ohhh I love pie, now your all talking my language. I love pumpkin pie and dutch apple. If anyone has a good recipe for dutch apple please share!!

My Boston Cream Pie was always a huge seller. Not really a pie but I'm adding it in here anyways.

My pie crust recipe is simple and makes two pies or one covered pie.

2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
3/4 cup shortening
5-6 tbsp. cold water

Mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening. Add water till dough like that can be rolled. If hot day wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:44pm
post #96 of 331

maryjsgirl..Thanks so much !

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:49pm
post #97 of 331

Hey Fiddlesticks, are you getting the link ready for all these pie recipes?? icon_lol.gif

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:59pm
post #98 of 331

I absolutely love this thread. I was a baker long before I began decorating cakes and it is still my passion.

Thanks for posting so many great pie recipes. My printer is working overtime!

Jenlg, I always bake the bottom layer of my Boston Cream Pie in a shortbread pie shell, making it a true pie! You should try that some time, it is great.

As for rhubarb--there is nothing better. I'm posting a recipe that I have been making for the past 30 (yeeks!) years. This is the recipe that taught me to truly love rhubarb.

Rhubarb Dessert

2 cups flour
2 Tblsp sugar
1 cup butter
Mix together and put into a 9x13 pan to form a crust. Bake 15 to 20 minutes at 370 degrees until golden brown.

3 cups rhubarb, cut into pieces
1/2 cup cream or evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 egg yolks (beaten)
2 Tblsp flour
Place sugar and flour in saucepan. Add rhubarb and cream. Cook, stirring often, until rhubarb is done and mixture is thick. Add small portion of rhubarb mixture to egg yolks (to temper the eggs). Add egg mixture to pan and mix well. Cool mixture down. Once cooled, pour filling over cooled crust. Top with meringue made of 3 beaten egg whites and 6 Tblsp sugar. Bake at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Bettina

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:04pm
post #99 of 331

Im kinda excited to see this thread icon_smile.gif Im not much of a pie person myself, but my hubby DEFINITELY is! I supply the desserts for a few local coffee houses and restaurants and my clients are always asking for pie. I finally agreed to try making a couple so I am THRILLED to find a wealth of knowledge in only 7 pages!!
I made key lime pie for hubby (it's his fav) when he was home on leave a couple of weeks ago and he said it was the best he's had icon_smile.gif I got the recipe off of recipezaar (I think- could have been allrecipes) and it was super quick and easy. I have to confess, though. I didnt actually make a PIE. I made a ton of mini pies in my mini-muffin pan icon_smile.gif Pies just intimidate the heck out of me!!!!!!!

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:13pm
post #100 of 331

Oh, and I have a question. For those of you who bake lots of pies, what do you prefer to use for your pie pans? I have a couple of Pampered Chef stoneware pie pans and a couple of the Pyrex ones, then of course, I have the metal ones as well (Getting married was VERY beneficial to my kitchen icon_biggrin.gif). Is any one better than the other?

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:14pm
post #101 of 331

My favorite is pecan pie, but a close second is a nice peanut butter pie with a chocolate cookie crust. Derby Pie is the bomb!

vickymacd Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:37pm
post #102 of 331

Okay, I'm sure fiddlesticks would just LOVE to start on the files for all of us (I'm just kidding, you've done an amazing job on the cupcake site!), instead of each of us saying how much we love _______ pie, how about, like so many of you already, we start posting our yummy pie recipes?

Here's mine that I ALWAYS make for Thanksgiving since I love pecan pie, but don't want such a huge piece. These are fast, easy, and eating more than one is never the same size as an actual slice....because I said so!

Mini Pecan Pies from Vicky in Michigan

Make these in the mini muffin pans (like about 1" around)

Crust: 1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
1 pkg. (3 oz.) cream cheese

Filling: 3/4 firmily packed light brown sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 Tbl. butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
2/3 cup chopped pecans

To make crust, with electric mixer, cream together flour, butter and cream cheese until smooth. Refrigerate dough or use right away.

To make filling, with electric mixer, beat together brown sugar, egg, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Stir in pecans.

I take a small ball of dough and press each ball into one greased muffin hole, going up the sides. Do not use muffin papers. Spoon filling into crusts about 3/4 filled. Bake at 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until filling is set. When cool, remove tarts from tins and place in paper cups. Makes about 24.

So as not to waste the cream cheese, I always at least double this recipe. Once you pop these in your mouth, you can't stop!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:10am
post #103 of 331

icon_lol.gif Oh you guys are so funnnny! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_surprised.gif
I love peanut butter pie to.
But what is derby pie ?? icon_confused.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:13am
post #104 of 331

Well, down south Pecan Pie is a must at all Holiday Gatherings, I was not a fan of this pie because it usually had a jelly texture, until I came across this recipe. I have converted many friends and family with this pie and now it is expected for me to make a few for our get-togethers.

INGREDIENTS'
(1) Package (3 1/4oz) Vanilla Instant Pudding & Pie Filling
(1 Cup Corn Syrup ( I use Dark Kayro Syrup)
(3/4) Cup Evaporated Milk
(1) Egg-Slightly beaten
(1) Cup Chopped pecans--I usually add more because we have trees and they are free.
(1) 8 inch unbaked pie shell

Hand blend pudding mix with corn syrup in a medium bowl, gradually adding evaporated milk, egg. Hand stir to blend. When completely blended, add pecans. Pour mixture into pie shell. Bake at 375' until top is firm or cracks. (appx. 35-40 minutes.)

This is a very easy pie to make and very little clean up after.

For chocolate lovers, I will use Chocolate Instant Pudding for flavor.

I hope all these recipe's get in the recipe forum so that they can be saved to the recipe box. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

jjandhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandhope Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:54am
post #105 of 331

WIth everyone always telling me how much they love my desserts, it never dawned on me that I was missing something! CAKE!!! ( I guess I thought cookies, bars, pies bars and breads were all there was to baking. OOOPSS!! icon_redface.gif SO that's why I've come to CC, (I need to learn about cakes) and I have suffered acute cake envy looking at all your wonderful cakes.

Im so glad to see that yall are not cake snobs. I like pie myslef way better, but since you gotta have cake to have a bakery....anyway, you get the point.

I would like to see more reviews of the recipes Ive seen on this thread. WHos tried 'em? I would also like an easy way to make my own refrigerated pie crusts that come out light as a feather and flaky. My pie crusts are good and SUPER flaky (so flaky that they're hard to get them in the pan). I need something I can count on for my bakery. I heard about making htem with ice water in the food processor once...anybody know about that?

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:11am
post #106 of 331

As for pans, my absolute fave is my very old enameled metal with a wide lip I can do fun edges on.
Other than that I use almost all metal pans, and I am very picky about having a wide flat lip on them.

Not a fan of glass, but I will use it in a pinch. Not big on the stoneware either, but I bet if I found some really old ones I might change my mind. (Except for my good cake pans and a few roasters and Le Cruset items, every baking pan in my house is pre-1980. I love the old aluminum bakeware.

@jjandhope--I have never had success with processor crust. I really think using your hands makes a huge difference in the texture of the crust and never use machinery for it, not even the 2 knives trick or a pastry cutter. Fingers only.

I think most folks here are only posting recipes they use or have used often, so as far as reviews I think you have them already! icon_smile.gif
Only a few have been from restaurants/untested in the home kitchen, but even those were declared yummy from tasting them at the eating establishments.

Since we are supposed to post the recipes (good idea!!) as we talk about them, here is the pear pie I mentioned earlier.

**Pear Pie
6 cups or so peeled and thinly sliced pears
2 cups white wine
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 tsp or so cinnamon
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
3 tbsp butter
crust of choice
Berry coulis if desired.

Bring first1/4 cup sugar and the wine to a simmer. Add the pears and poach for about 8 minutes.
Drain and cool. Reserve liquid
Mix pears with second 1/3 cup sugar, the flour, ginger and cinnamon. Add a few tablespoons of the poaching liquid. Mix well and arrange in the crust.
Drizzle over the coulis if desired, or save to drizzle over pie once baked. Dot with butter.
Do a lattice or top crust and bake at 400 for 15 minutes, then lower the heat to 350 until golden and bubbly.
Serve warm with berry sauce and ice cream, or cold..great both ways!

maryjsgirl Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:54am
post #107 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldbrou

Well, down south Pecan Pie is a must at all Holiday Gatherings, I was not a fan of this pie because it usually had a jelly texture, until I came across this recipe. I have converted many friends and family with this pie and now it is expected for me to make a few for our get-togethers.

INGREDIENTS'
(1) Package (3 1/4oz) Vanilla Instant Pudding & Pie Filling
(1 Cup Corn Syrup ( I use Dark Kayro Syrup)
(3/4) Cup Evaporated Milk
(1) Egg-Slightly beaten
(1) Cup Chopped pecans--I usually add more because we have trees and they are free.
(1) 8 inch unbaked pie shell

Hand blend pudding mix with corn syrup in a medium bowl, gradually adding evaporated milk, egg. Hand stir to blend. When completely blended, add pecans. Pour mixture into pie shell. Bake at 375' until top is firm or cracks. (appx. 35-40 minutes.)

This is a very easy pie to make and very little clean up after.

For chocolate lovers, I will use Chocolate Instant Pudding for flavor.

I hope all these recipe's get in the recipe forum so that they can be saved to the recipe box. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

This sounds really interesting. What is the difference in flavor and texture?

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:02am
post #108 of 331

Here is the google page I started. I think I did it right =)

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddmmx5vd_9dp5h9hhp

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:21am
post #109 of 331

I just replied and for some reason my reply did not show up, so I will try again and hope that it does not become a double post.

The pecan pie that I listed is creamier tasting. The usual pecan pie has a more jelly like consistency for the filling. This is one of the easiest pies that I make and it is always a big hit. The last Christmas get together, my aunt brought her usual pecan pie and I brought my usual two pecan pies. Both of mine were finished off, but she still had half of her pie left. Now my aunts pie was good, but the ones that I made just tasted lighter, creamier.

pastrygirl33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirl33 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:32am
post #110 of 331

Yeah!!! Pie I love it and love making it. But now that we started with pies you know that there are an endless amount of other pastries we could get started on. And how about Meat pies I'm talking SAVOURY. I'm from french speaking Canada in Quebec and let me tell you we make the BEST!!!

vickymacd Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:40am
post #111 of 331

dldbrou~ the jelly like consistency of pecan pie is what I don't like about it, that's why I like my little mini pies as they don't have the oooie centers. You won't be disappointed in them if you try them out. make a small batch as the recipe states and give them a try!

pastrygirl33~ yes, there are so many ideas for 'pies', but I have to disagree with you on the best of Canada....Scottish meat pies are the best!! Could this be a competition? ha, ha.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:41am
post #112 of 331

Funny this should come up today. Uh huh..... Last week I found out my neighbors have two Jonathan apple trees and she doesn't like apples so all he does is pick and eat one now and then. Sooo.... in addition to the 5 gallon bucket I picked Saturday with my granddaughters help, today I picked another bucket and half. I'm not exactly sure what I'll do with the majority of these dang apples but I couldn't let them pick them up and dump em in a ditch. I made apple bread yesterday and will make more. Okay, that takes care of about 6 apples. I'm giving a bucket to a friend tomorrow. That friend told me to wash, peel, slice, toss with lemon juice and then into zip bags and freeze. I'm going to try the FN recipe for apple pie in a bag since I haven't a favorite apple pie recipe. I haven't made one in years!

Great thread! Just what I needed at the moment.

vickymacd Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:56am
post #113 of 331

CarolAnn~will post a recipe I'm trying tomorrow with apples. I have some in the frig and saw this recipe for apple bars. It sounds really good so I'll post it tomorrow.
Try the apple pie in a bag....it's so good. Of course, I like streusel topping on my pies, but it's still really good.

I love apples in salads too!

pastrygirl33 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:59am
post #114 of 331

Maybe we will have a competition! lol Have you ever had one of our pies, they are called tourtieres and you know I went to scotland on my honeymoon and had scottish meat pies I beg to differ. Ours are definitly better.

vickymacd Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:04am
post #115 of 331

Ha, ha....I'll give in now as I've really never made the real Scottish pies! I just eat them! Funny thing is, one of my daughters name is 'Bridie' which is a Scottish meat pie. She gets so furious when we'd go to Highland Games (she dances) and I'd want to take a picture of her in front of the 'bridie' signs. But I love the meat pies, bridies, sausage rolls, and steak pies!

pastrygirl33 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:08am
post #116 of 331

Yes all in good fun the steak pies were good. Although my husband and I are both Italian, and foodies BIG TIME we enjoy all cuisine!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:22am
post #117 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

One clue why pies are mentioned often, the name of the site is CAKE Central.

Maybe somewhere there is a PIE Central.

LMAO... I almost peed myself reading this. ?Thank goodness mt bladder still works like a charm!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:29am
post #118 of 331

I just googled Veejaytx's suggestion for a Pie Central. There is indeed a Pie Central where you can get all types of tips about pies, ask questions and find new recipes. It's part of Crisco's website. Here is the link:

http://www.crisco.com/Articles_Tips/Central/Pie_Central/default.aspx

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:34am
post #119 of 331

What a GREAT thread!!!

Oh how I LOVE pie! I grew up on a farm and there was always a pie in the cupboard,cookies in the jar and everything else ...My mom still spends a day baking for the week. I loved being her little helper as a child. I assume that is where my love of baking came from.(thanks MOM)
I actually was so sick of homemade goodies. When I left home I bought everything from the store and loved it. I had never had an oreo or anything store bought till I was 19!!!
Now I love baking and and glad I watched her.

I am looking forward to getting some great recipes from this thread!!!!
I think fall is a great time of year for this!!!

My favorite pie is all of them!!! Mmmm pecan pie or coconut cream.

bettinashoes- I got my eye now on making your recipe for coconut cream pie! thanks

Nancy

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:44am
post #120 of 331

CarolAnn.........oh, my goodness, make apple butter. Nothing beats some fresh apple butter on buttermilk biscuits.

It is so easy to make and you can can it in jelly jars and have it all winter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%