Cheapskate Alert

Lounge By summernoelle Updated 28 Aug 2007 , 12:04pm by anneuk

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 191

Today a woman called me, wanting a 2 tiered fondant cake with a royal icing tiara, pearls, and gumpaste roses on the top for a baby shower. I gave her a quote and she said the dreaded "let me tell you what budget I am on"
So she tells me that she is a single mom, and on foodstamps. That is understandable, so I try to think of things that would make it more affordable, like just doing buttercream (which she doesn't like) and a smaller cake, and just really simple. I offer to do a 6 inch cake with a rose and some leaves at the base, and small bow on the top and JUST buttercream, eventhough she was really pushing for fondant.
But she wants the nice cake for $15. She goes to my website, and says that she wants the topper for the cake that is on my Avatar. That thing has about 10 gumpaste roses and TONS of hydrangea blossoms on it.
Instead of telling her that it is out of her price range, I just tell her how much the topper itself would be. She is shocked and she says "Oh, you know what, I think I just need to learn how to make that myself." icon_rolleyes.gif
In the end, we decided on the 6 inch buttercream cake, but I can't help but wonder if the order will actually go through.

190 replies
darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 191

She'll spend a lot more trying to learn to do it herself than to have you make it for her, at your price.

bigsisof3kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigsisof3kids Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 191

Oh, that's too bad. You can't even get a simple sheet cake for that price at most grocery stores. The RI tiara itself would be that price. (I've never actually done one, that's just what I've read icon_smile.gif ) I hope your order goes through for you. Btw, I LOVe LOVE LOVE your avatar picture. The colors, roses, topper, well - everything is bEaTiFuL!

summernoelle Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 191

Thanks!
Well, she hasn't called back. Oh well!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 191

You can't get a 1/4 sheet at our local grocery for under $20. icon_eek.gif
I can understand why she wants to give her child a nice cake but at the same time you wouldn't call the mechanic and say you are on food stamps and broke so you want your engine rebuilt for the price of an oil change. icon_lol.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 6:52am
post #6 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

... call the mechanic and say you are on food stamps and broke so you want your engine rebuilt for the price of an oil change. icon_lol.gif

HAHAHAHA ~~ that made me LOL!

Tell her to spend her cake budget on her child's gift and to make a pan of cupcakes for her kid. All children love cupcakes baked by their mommies! thumbs_up.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 191

For $15 she would get a 8 x 2 from me with basic designs and a poorly written (my freehand is horrible) message.

At least she didn't ask if you take food stamps! icon_lol.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 6:58pm
post #8 of 191

you should've asked her to barter with you.......maybe she could come scrub all your cake pans for a month and pay off the cost of labor on the cake??? lol

sisita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisita Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 7:07pm
post #9 of 191

I think she needs to go lo the local store, and see what she can get for $15...

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 7:12pm
post #10 of 191

I think I would suggest the buttercream cake as well, small and simple. Then suggest she spend $5 on silk flowers from walmart (or better yet a dollar store) and attempt to make that topper. I think you're great for even working with her and her "budget". We've all probably hard times. Personally I would never buy one of my own cakes and I only charge $1/serving. She has a right to a cake, but she must understand that she will have to take what she can get with that budget.

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 7:21pm
post #11 of 191

Now sisita, you know a home baker doesn't have all of the overhead that a store does, that's why can can pretty much give our cakes away for a song!! I mean, come on! It's just a box mix with some frosting slapped on it....WE should pay THEM to take it off of our hands!!

I hope the sarcasm came through on that....

I agree that it's a great thing to have a nice party if you're (apparently) hosting a baby shower, but $15 budget is nothing for a cake. I hope that there aren't a lot of people coming to the shower.

meancat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meancat Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 7:30pm
post #12 of 191

That sucks, kinda funny though... hopefully she wont call you back - I dont even think it would be worth your time to do it for $15. At least you were nice about it icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif I'm working on opening up a shop out of the dallas area, and am worried about running into a bunch of people like that.

icantcook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icantcook Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 7:43pm
post #13 of 191

In my local grocery store (part of a state-wide chain), the cakes- sheets and tiered- are eligible for purchase with the food stamps.

Edoted tp add: Summernoelle- just noticed that you are from Dallas. The store I was talking about is HEB! The cards that show the price for their versions of the 2D/3D cakes has a bright dayglo orange sticker saying "WIC approved" or "Food Stamp approved"

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 7:50pm
post #14 of 191

you could also suggest that she have you make and ice a small cake just plainly, she can make some cupcakes (great suggestion BTW), then she can go to the dollar store and get one of those plastic crowns to place on top of the cake you made. Then she can get the same idea for a price that is a bit more in her range.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 7:52pm
post #15 of 191

>>In my local grocery store, the cakes (sheets and tiered) are eligible for purchase with the food stamps.<<<

Do you have any idea what one must go thru to be eligible to accept food stamps??
*NOT* worth the hassel.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 7:56pm
post #16 of 191

$15 would not cover your ingredients for that. icon_confused.gif Never mind your utilities, pans, boards, foil, etc, and OH YEAH, your precious, precious time!! Good for you for not caving in.

I DO understand being on a budget and wanting something nice, I just DON'T understand it when people want a stranger to pay out of their own pocket for it.

I agree with the previous poster -- this lady should make some wonderful cupcakes with sprinkles for her daugher. Pink and purple for a princess! icon_smile.gifprincess.gif

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 7:58pm
post #17 of 191

I am glad that you tried to work with her. We are not a blessed to have tons of money, but would still like nice things. I don't blame her for asking. Some people truly do not understand the cost that it takes to do what we do.

We didn't have a lot of money when I was a kid, but I know that I felt special to get grocery store cakes. I realize that we cannot give our products away, but trying to accommodate to a point is very nice and could make someone very happy!

I also realize that there are people out there that are just trying to take advantage, but I try to give everyone a chance.......

Stephanie

vicmic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicmic Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 7:58pm
post #18 of 191

[quote="At least she didn't ask if you take food stamps! icon_lol.gif[/quote]

Am I the only one that thinks this comment was in poor taste, to say the least. This person has no clue about pricing, that's a given but that's no reason to make fun of her like this.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 8:03pm
post #19 of 191

This may be bad, but I just tell someone like that I don't think I'm the right place for them to order their cake from. I just know they are going to be a pain down the road.

I have a bride that wants a big wedding and can't afford it. I feel so bad for her. Too bad she didn't have a family member or a friend that could help her understand what she can afford and not afford.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 8:03pm
post #20 of 191

I understand that some customers have no idea what goes into a cake, the work, cost, let's not even think about cleaning the kitchen after the fact. I can't even see going to anyone with only $15 to buy a cake with all she wanted.

meancat Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 8:04pm
post #21 of 191

vicmic,

I'm sure she didnt mean it in a super rude way.... I wouldn't be offended....

icon_smile.gif

You dont want to know my opinion on the fact that I work a full time job and pay ALOT in taxes to find out that they can buy a cake w/ stamps that they should be using for milk and bread.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 8:07pm
post #22 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmic

[quote="At least she didn't ask if you take food stamps! icon_lol.gif

[quote/vicmic]Am I the only one that thinks this comment was in poor taste, to say the least. This person has no clue about pricing, that's a given but that's no reason to make fun of her like this.[/quote]

It didn't offend me, the customer brought the foodstamp issue into the mix.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 8:24pm
post #23 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgiles

She has a right to a cake.....

icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif A "right" to a cake? I must have missed history class where they covered the right to life, liberty and a cake when they wanted it.

I'm sure this person has no idea what things really cost, but a quick trip to the grocery would be an educational field trip for her.

She's on food stamps and is accustomed to the govt providing for her. I'm not the govt.

(And before anyone flames me for that statement, my parents rec'd the equivalent of food stamps before there was such a thing as food stamps. Been there .... know what's it's like, so I've earned the privilege of making that observation. Growing up, we would NEVER have tried to negotiate a price based on the "I'm on food stamps so can you do it cheaper" argument.)

SweetSandee92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSandee92 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 8:41pm
post #24 of 191

IMHO.. none of us know what the actual meaning behind her statement was.. so we should not assume anything. If she was saying it to be up front and honest or just to get sympathy...either way you look at it, she still would not be able to get the style of cake she requested.. $15 is just not enough.

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 8:49pm
post #25 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by meancat

vicmic,

I'm sure she didnt mean it in a super rude way.... I wouldn't be offended....

icon_smile.gif

You dont want to know my opinion on the fact that I work a full time job and pay ALOT in taxes to find out that they can buy a cake w/ stamps that they should be using for milk and bread.

Well, sure hope you never lose that full time job and are ever in need of assistance and have your child have their heart set on a cake for their bday....i guess you can just tell them that you will make them a nice peanut butter sandwich with a glass of milk.
Sorry, I've never been on assistance before , but it cracks me up when people think they can decide what other people can and cannot buy.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 8:53pm
post #26 of 191
Quote:

I'm definatly in the camp that believes food stamps should be far more limited, I live in an area with alot of people on them and you see these people loading their carts with cases of pop and brand name junk food.

I'm sorry but I don't believe that anyone has the "right" to things that aren't needs.

vicmic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicmic Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 8:57pm
post #27 of 191
Quote:

vicmic,

icon_eek.gif Meancat, I guess your screen name says it all.
Oh but please don't be offended by that.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 9:05pm
post #28 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ge978

Sorry, I've never been on assistance before , but it cracks me up when people think they can decide what other people can and cannot buy.

Well I DID grow up on it and believe me, kids would rather have a meal every night than a bakery cake on one day.

And other people are NOT deciding what they can and cannot buy. Their budget is deciding what they can and cannot buy. Whether you spend cash or food stamps, if your child needs 'real' food and you are buying a luxury like cake, then the parent is wrong. Because cake is not a 'right' or a 'necessity' .... but basic food is.

I get passionate on this because of growing up poorer than dirt. We had perfect attendance at school becuase that's where the food was. There were too many days (in a row!) where dinner was gravy bread .... bread covered with gravy that was made with water, shortening and flour. And there were days that we considered ourselves lucky to have that much.

I do not begrudge the way I grew up ... I believe it made me the person I am .... determined to work hard so my kids never have to know what REAL hunger is and never having to live an entire winter with no heat. (Any heat in our house was generated by turning on the oven and leaving the oven door open.) People who never had to live like that have no idea what REAL poverty is like ..... and I don't believe they can really appreciate their good fortunate and the results of their hard work like I can.

So when I see a parent spending miss-spending their money, be it in the form of cash or food stamps, then I get really pi$$ed because it reminds me of the days when my parents would mismanage their funds which meant the kids would suffer for it by not having ANY food in the house. (And I'm not exaggerating ..... ZERO edible food items in the house at all!)

meancat Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 9:29pm
post #29 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmic

Quote:

vicmic,

icon_eek.gif Meancat, I guess your screen name says it all.
Oh but please don't be offended by that.

icon_smile.gif Nothing offends me... I can be pretty mean sometimes, I just tend to think of myself as more "realistic" and not fake. I do not like to sugarcoat my responses.

summernoelle Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 9:31pm
post #30 of 191

Wow, I've been gone all day and just read all the posts.
I felt bad for her. She told me that she had already gone to Kroger and ordered a cake, and was paying for it in food stamps, and wanted to order an additional one from me. Like I said, I can work with you on price, and I won't turn away people just because they need to order something really simple, but is it really a good idea to call a custom cake maker?
Anyway, my husband just lost his job, and we got our laaaaast pay check Wednesday. Even though he has been interviewing, it is still scary to not know where the next check is coming from. And I tell you what, if I didn't have money, I wouldn't spend it on a cake!!! (And I really love cake)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%