Is Duff Clueless?

Decorating By SueW Updated 30 Jul 2007 , 3:24am by baka4lyfe20

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:15am
post #1 of 88

No offense, I am a fan but how did he not know that fondant came in colors icon_surprised.gif I just watched his show and he was told by another decorator he could buy it already colored and he was shocked icon_lol.gif Too funny!

87 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:25am
post #2 of 88

I am also a fan. It was hilarious when he was told that fondant comes already colored.

I would guess he started with one company, and just kept using the same product. Unless he went shopping for it, he wouldn't know.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:43am
post #3 of 88

i dunno - if I make cakes for a living, I think I take the time to figure out what is out there. Seemed a little funny to me. I have to think that was a planned set-up. i mean geez - even Yuck Wilton makes colored fondant.

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:52am
post #4 of 88

I guess you just get used to doing something the "Old Fashioned" way and you just never think about checking to see if things have changed! I use Satin Ice fondant for all of my cakes which require fondant. It's very easy to use, very elastic, and it has a great taste!! I would be embarassed to use that nasty Wilton fondant on any of my customer's cakes!! I did some research on fondant and chose the Satin Ice after trying various brands. I don't like the white chocolate fondant because it melts too easy and is too hard to work with...but it tastes GREAT!!! I was surprised to see how surprised Duff was when he learned he could order Satin Ice fondant in premixed colors!!! But like I said...unless you go looking for new things, you don't find them!!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:52am
post #5 of 88

That look on his face was classic. He honestly didn't know, and the other decorater was suprised that he didn't.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:52am
post #6 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

i dunno - if I make cakes for a living, I think I take the time to figure out what is out there. Seemed a little funny to me. I have to think that was a planned set-up. i mean geez - even Yuck Wilton makes colored fondant.

I agree. I am pretty certain he was faking/bluffing. He HAD to know.
icon_confused.gif

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:53am
post #7 of 88

Which episode was this?

I'm a bit shocked to think that he wouldn't know that! I mean, he even mentions cake central on his website -- he refers people here if they have questions about cake decorating.

I can't believe he's be that uninformed!

S.

coldtropics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coldtropics Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:57am
post #8 of 88

yeah duff is full of doo doo... he uses satin ice apparently because they showed a bucket of it on the row house show. Im sure the satin ice people have tried to get that upsell... knowing as much fondant as charm city uses. Did anyone notice the italian salad dressing onthe shelf in the fridge where the cakes are placed? icon_surprised.gif

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:58am
post #9 of 88

LOL JMT. A long time ago I thought wilton was my only choice! HAHAHAHAHA. I tried flavoring it with anything I could get my hands on! I always put a FAT layer of filling so that my family would have something besides cake that tasted good. You'd think they'd reformulate or something. Not sure. . .

doc_farms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doc_farms Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:59am
post #10 of 88

I just thought it was so adorable! icon_smile.gif Definitely gave me a chuckle!

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:00am
post #11 of 88

Naw, not Duff!!! My husband started laughing when he heard Duff say he didn't know fondant came in colors (ready made). I'm just starting out and DH even knows you can buy colors!

Jennifer9800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer9800 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:05am
post #12 of 88

after reading everyone's responses i think it's a little of everyones. i bet he has started his fondant knowledge when only white was available. I'm sure mary alice does all the ordering now and he doesnt even see what options are out there and just keeps his focus more on the business and design rather than keeping up with the MILLIONS of new products out there. On the other hand, he probably is "given" products to use for the show and doesnt even pay attention to whats out there or we're all just analysing this "reality" show too much! haha!!

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:07am
post #13 of 88

I might be wrong but I think he knew and was just pulling one of his pranks. I get the impression he is a real prankster LOL . I do love to hear him laugh.

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:23am
post #14 of 88

Honestly I don't think he knew. The show is all about showing what they're doing and how they're doing it and you would see them all the time airbrush the color onto the cake. I think the responsibility is on Mary Alice and she probably just submits the same order over and over (of course now that he's huge.......a lot more of it).

Jen1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen1979 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:28am
post #15 of 88

I'm not sure if he knew or not but they still don't use it. Maybe the like the control of coloring it themselves or airbrushing the exact color they want.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 7:24am
post #16 of 88

I abslutely love Duff, but the non-verbals gave it away, product placement is where I'd put the money down on..

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 11:48am
post #17 of 88

It was a plug for SatinIce.

By the way...WHY in the world would he want the glass jar upside down on the gumball cake? That made zero sense to me.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 12:49pm
post #18 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

That look on his face was classic. He honestly didn't know, and the other decorater was suprised that he didn't.

of course. and TV shows are ALWAYS 100% truthful and honest. icon_biggrin.gif

sorry - not being mean, but come on . . . it just isn't possible.

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:06pm
post #19 of 88

That show was actually an older show, a repeat, where as the row house one was new which would explain why he had a bucket of satin ice in the row house one.
It is very well possible that he didn't know, but I am tempted to think that it may have been a plug

baka4lyfe20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baka4lyfe20 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:14pm
post #20 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

By the way...WHY in the world would he want the glass jar upside down on the gumball cake? That made zero sense to me.

I thought he was just joking.

spongemomsweatpants Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:17pm
post #21 of 88

but wait now that I think about it when they were covering the slot machine cake there were two buckets of satin ice sitting on the table...hmmm seems like a plug to me.
But heck if I was in Duff's shoes I'd plug things as well if means discounts for me thumbs_up.gif

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:19pm
post #22 of 88

I could not believe when he put that one cake on the front seat of the guy's car.............of course it slid! LOL!!!

deb

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:24pm
post #23 of 88

didn't anyone in his staff know either! wowo I guess you learn something new everyday!

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:30pm
post #24 of 88

It was definitely a set up plug for Satin Ice. In earlier episodes where they have shown the fondant buckets the logo was blurred out, I know because I remember trying to figure out what brand of fondant he used. But in the last few the Satin Ice logo is very much visible. I am sure Satin Ice is paying for the advertisement.

lizziegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizziegirl Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:36pm
post #25 of 88

Come on... it's a t.v show. It seems like some of us watch the show just to find fault...
I LOVE DUFF and his staff.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:37pm
post #26 of 88

Duff isnt clueless HE'S HOTT

Ok so last night they did show the label. Before they did black it out I too was also trying to figure out what kind of fondant he used.

spongemomsweatpants Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:13pm
post #27 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziegirl

Come on... it's a t.v show. It seems like some of us watch the show just to find fault...
I LOVE DUFF and his staff.

I am not sure anyone was trying to find fault. I think there was just a level of surpirse that he didn't know it. Obvoiusly he did know it because we have seen episodes with the satin ice bucket. Like I said in my previous post if satin Ice offered me a discount on my fondant to plug their product I'd do it too.
I too love Duff and his staff, and would love love love my shop to be as fun as his seems to be.

baka4lyfe20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baka4lyfe20 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:21pm
post #28 of 88

So if what everyone else is saying is true (it's a set up), that would mean the other decorator would have to be in on it too. Makes me wonder how truthful these things are.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:24pm
post #29 of 88

Drat! - sorry off topic. but don't tell me i miss the first show for this season. darn it, i was so out of it last night.

JulieBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBee Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:25pm
post #30 of 88

On TV....even reality shows, what you see is not always real.

Julie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%