Is Duff Clueless?

Decorating By SueW Updated 30 Jul 2007 , 3:24am by baka4lyfe20

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:27pm
post #31 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by baka4lyfe20

So if what everyone else is saying is true (it's a set up), that would mean the other decorator would have to be in on it too. Makes me wonder how truthful these things are.

well it is a TV show. I wouldn't let it get ya down. The fact remains that Duff and his team are amazing, their talents are so vast that most of us can only dream to aspire to such hights. Heck he'd have to be good to get his own TV show. If someone told you they would give you free stuff if you mentioned their name wouldn't you do it?

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:32pm
post #32 of 88

The show that he said he didnt know that fondant came colored was an old show from 2006. The new 2007 season shows him using Satin Ice

spongemomsweatpants Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:38pm
post #33 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxxy_luvs_duff

The show that he said he didnt know that fondant came colored was an old show from 2006. The new 2007 season shows him using Satin Ice

thats what I said too, but in the same show you see the satin ice bucket when they are covering the slot machine. Really though how much does it matter? Not a whole heck of a lot. I still think Duff rocks!!

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:40pm
post #34 of 88

hmm i didnt even notice that. ill have to look closer next time it comes on.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:40pm
post #35 of 88

I wanna be just like Duff when I grow up!!!!!!
(dang, that'll never happen, I don't wanna grow up!)

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:43pm
post #36 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katskakes

Drat! - sorry off topic. but don't tell me i miss the first show for this season. darn it, i was so out of it last night.

The first episode that was on last night was the second show of the new season. It started last week.

I thought it was cute last night but in the end, does it really matter if he knew or not? I doubt they would really change the way they do things too much. I don't know how many shades of each color SatinIce has - but chances are they would still need to change the color to acheive the exact shade they need. Even in my very limited use of colored fondant, I had to add my own color to it to get the shades I needed.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:45pm
post #37 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongemomsweatpants

Quote:

thats what I said too, but in the same show you see the satin ice bucket when they are covering the slot machine. Really though how much does it matter? Not a whole heck of a lot. I still think Duff rocks!!

but could anyone read the label to see if it was WHITE or if it was PRE-COLORED?

--
it honestly could be that he only knew of white in 2006, then learned and now finally buys pre-colored ....

tho'

considering the colors on lots of his cakes -- they still often look custom colored.

chaptlps Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:48pm
post #38 of 88

You also have to take into consideration too that Duff airbrushes a lot of his cakes the color they are.
In my experience, airbrushing the color on saves loads and loads of time. I never use black fondant. I always airbrushed the black on whether it's fondant or buttercream. I just don't get black frosting I guess (black teeth syndrome).

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:49pm
post #39 of 88

the writing on the colored fondant is colored i cant remember if the white is in black writing. i didnt notice the satin ice bucket. im gunna have to see if i have the show on On Demand

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:52pm
post #40 of 88

Doug wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

but could anyone read the label to see if it was WHITE or if it was PRE-COLORED?

I don't have to read, I can tell by the labels from all the previous shows that they use white. "I use Stain Ice almost exclusively and know those labels." It might be a cost factor......

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:56pm
post #41 of 88

he did also say he got all his fondant from a certain supplier. maybe that place only carried white and he never looked elsewhere for other fondant

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:08pm
post #42 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoma9

Which episode was this?

I'm a bit shocked to think that he wouldn't know that! I mean, he even mentions cake central on his website -- he refers people here if they have questions about cake decorating.

I can't believe he's be that uninformed!

S.

I've never noticed the referance to Cake Central? Where is that????

spongemomsweatpants Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:13pm
post #43 of 88
Quote:

he did also say he got all his fondant from a certain supplier. maybe that place only carried white and he never looked elsewhere for other fondant

that's what I was thinking as well. Yes I am farily certain that the fondant that came from the buckets (that look like satin ice buckets but admitaly could be some other kind) was in fact white. I have also noticed that in newer shows they are still using white fondant and either coloring it or airbrushing it themselves. My guess is that the colors offered by Satin Ice are not as custom as he would prefer them to be. I doubt seriously that cost is a factor as I feel fairly confidant that the smart folks in the marketing department at Satin Ice have not missed the fact that by giving him free or seriously discounted fondant in excahnge for showing their label or mentioning their name would be a smart move financialy. To say that isn't the case is seriously discounting satin ice's marketing departments intelligence. However that being said...does it matter at all to me either way? Nope not at all I still love Duff and the show.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:17pm
post #44 of 88

Gee, some young kid doesn't know something you know?
I'm one of the oldest people here, and I never even heard of Satin Ice at all until last year.
Will you make fun of me, too?

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:18pm
post #45 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoma9

Which episode was this?

I'm a bit shocked to think that he wouldn't know that! I mean, he even mentions cake central on his website -- he refers people here if they have questions about cake decorating.

I can't believe he's be that uninformed!

S.

I've never noticed the referance to Cake Central? Where is that????

It's in his FAQ section on his website

www.charmcitycakes.com

diamondjacks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondjacks Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:23pm
post #46 of 88

This is off subject... I just love him!! I would love to just go and assist one day.. but then I would probably be addicted I would keep calling and asking hey u need any extra help today icon_smile.gif hehehe

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:26pm
post #47 of 88

It looks like the same thing that happend on that extreme home makeover show. At first they blurred out the labels, but then after the show was a hit and tons of people were watching, they got publicity and permission from the vendors to show the labels.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:26pm
post #48 of 88

if i lived close id walk back and forth in front of his shop all day hoping i got to see him haha

yellowdog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellowdog Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:32pm
post #49 of 88

This might be a little off subject; however, did anyone see what Duff used for the silver bar inside the glass gumball cake? How did he make it stand up? I would have thought to use a dowel, but then would worry that some child would try and eat it. I love watching his show but would love for the show to be an hour so they could spend some time showing us newbies some the cake's construction and carving.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:33pm
post #50 of 88

i didnt notice but it kinda looked like a straw with a pipe cleaner inside it

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:35pm
post #51 of 88

I'm not sure but I think the silver bar was a dowel and had two skewers angled into the side that inserted into the cake to hold it. The black nob was gumpaste.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:36pm
post #52 of 88

I have also noticed the Satin Ice buckets on Ace of Cakes. I also noticed them on the last cake challenge for The Simpsons Movie.

chaptlps Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:06pm
post #53 of 88

Yep, we've been plugged as a great resource for ideas and help!!! WOOHOOO icon_biggrin.gif

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:11pm
post #54 of 88

I can't believe he mentions "us" his website, how cool icon_biggrin.gif I started this thread and just wanted to say it was not to knock him at all I just thought the look on his face was so funny and couldn't believe he of all people wouldn't know icon_lol.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:17pm
post #55 of 88

No offence meant to you, SueW. I knew YOU didn't mean it that way. Others I wasn't too sure of, however...

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:22pm
post #56 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziegirl

Come on... it's a t.v show. It seems like some of us watch the show just to find fault...
I LOVE DUFF and his staff.

I didn't even get that inkling on this thread...it's merely a discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Gee, some young kid doesn't know something you know?
I'm one of the oldest people here, and I never even heard of Satin Ice at all until last year.
Will you make fun of me, too?.

Why the negative vibe? The whole thread is just a back and forth of people's opinions...nobody is making fun of anyone.

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:23pm
post #57 of 88

I was so tickled when I saw the Satin Ice container in last night's show, too! My DH must think I'm crazy, but I just had to point it out to him icon_rolleyes.gif! I also was kinda shocked that a man with such an amazing talent didn't know that fondant came in colors! Hmmmm....

spongemomsweatpants Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:24pm
post #58 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

No offence meant to you, SueW. I knew YOU didn't mean it that way. Others I wasn't too sure of, however...

I have read and reread the whole thread and I am not sure anyone was trying to knock him. It seemed to me that it was all in jest. Personally my posts were to point out that he is proablly getting a discount to plug satin ice, that is not malicious, it's business and there is NOTHING wrong with that. Didn't someone else on this site once say "Marketing 101"

spongemomsweatpants Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:28pm
post #59 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueW

I can't believe he mentions "us" his website, how cool icon_biggrin.gif

That is so cool isn't it? thumbs_up.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 6:28pm
post #60 of 88

The thing about the fondant from the last season you all have to remember is that he is a fairly "new business". I know it seems like he's so great, cause he IS! but, he is really just starting out and he maybe didn't know!

That's okay though! It also could've been a plug for BOTH of them! LOL But, a good one at that! I think she might have been trying to get a discount too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%