Post Your Worst Cake!!

Decorating By ge978 Updated 23 Aug 2018 , 10:59pm by kakeladi

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 6:24pm
post #871 of 1303

Review of Babyscake Green Blob icon_wink.gif

"Modern technology has yielded at least one definite advance in the last 30 years: a better Blob. Whereas the original 1958 model, a rolling heap of silicone, did little more than wobble and eat, the updated Blob is infinitely more advanced. It can climb to the ceiling and plop down on anyone below.....And it can overtake, subdue and digest its prey right before the audience's very eyes. - by Janet Maslin with the New York Times" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

And if you don't believe this review, just check out how the green blob is digesting the little presents at the bottom - they are now two dimensional. icon_eek.gif

babyscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyscake Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 6:42pm
post #872 of 1303

Hahaha.... That is so true and funny!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 6:50pm
post #873 of 1303

Thank God someone posted to this - I've been searching for it in the forums and can't EVER find it! For some reason it never comes up in the search! Yeah glad it's back icon_smile.gif

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 7:28pm
post #874 of 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by imartsy

Thank God someone posted to this - I've been searching for it in the forums and can't EVER find it! For some reason it never comes up in the search! Yeah glad it's back icon_smile.gif

I know what you mean. Every time it comes up I have to go back and figure out where the last page I read was so I don't miss anything. The descriptions and stories are what makes the pics so great.

MJsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJsmom Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 7:34pm
post #875 of 1303

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I think he looks more like he's in pain...broken fin or something like that, maybe he's had a little digestive problems and needs to pass gas..."

HAHAHAHAHA! Well, in the movie, Nemo DID have a special fin! You were just being accurate! I think it's a good cake, though!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 6:46am
post #876 of 1303

I hate it when this thread gets lost in the archives! Bump!

I'm posting a horrific nightmare of a cake I did awhile back - red velvet cake w/fresh berries and cream cheese frosting. I have no idea what I did wrong w/the frosting, but I'd say this cake lasted about 2 minutes out of the fridge before looking like this. Sheesh, an ice cream cake would have held up better. See, too, the lovely streaks trailing down from the blueberries.

It's not a cake to give you nightmares cake like humpty or the evil electrified clown, but it's still painful to look at (at least for me).
LL

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 12:49pm
post #877 of 1303

Bless your heart! I bet it was yummy thought.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 3:47pm
post #878 of 1303

I hadn't seen this thread before (new to CC) - it's hilarious. So glad I read it - it definitely cheered me up. Looking back at mine - at least I noticed the improvement now. And it gives me hope I can do some of the really cool things you guys are all doing!!

Here's my worst - I could have died. I made both of my sister's wedding cakes (to save money). But, planned very well to be sure it was a design I could actually pull off. A very good friend's sister - rushed wedding, no money, needed a cake fast. I agreed to help. I was definitely no decorator at the time. The Mom insisted it be white on white. I couldn't do scroll work or strings (still can't!). This was the best I could come up with -- and I'm still horrified at how not smooth it is. The white white topper made the icing color look icky. I cried all morning I had to deliver this thing. They didn't complain - and did at least say it tasted very good.
LL

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 8:44pm
post #879 of 1303

Ok, I have one to post. I friggin' hate this thing. My icing isn't even remotely smooth (but God love my DH, he calls it "knock down stucco look icon_lol.gif ) I had to remove and re-apply the border, I got airbrush on my road, 2 of my signs are too tall, and I generally hate the whole thing. I am supposed to charge her for this, but don't wanna. I don't even wanna deliver it, but have to, 'cuz I have to start on another one tomorrow! icon_cry.gif
LL

RitzyFritz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RitzyFritz Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 8:55pm
post #880 of 1303

Okay...like everyone else on here, I HATE THIS CAKE! I was trying to practice basketweave (which was a disaster) and the flowers, colors...everything...just looked terrible! I don't consider myself "good" by any stretch of the imagination, but this just...ahem...takes the cake! LOL!!

*Thanks to acrosstx for helping with the photo resizing tip! It looks a little mis-shaped, but you get the idea! LOL!
LL

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 9:12pm
post #881 of 1303

Ok, I am sending this in. I am so embarrassed! This was for my son's birthday, his whole party was sharks. He loved it right up until the fin (a HUGE sugar cookie) fell over!

Laugh at will! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 9:24pm
post #882 of 1303

Oh all right I'm feeling brave and have lurked on this thread since the beginning. Here's my "melted motorcycle" I made it for my nephew's b-day. I was dreading it the entire week before I had to do it. I knew all the little intricate details were going to be aweful....and they were. You can acctually see where I missed in spots and see funfetti cake. It's sad even the wheels look like someone let the air out of them. Tasted good and my nephew appreciated it.

Needless to say I don't plan on doing this EVER again.
LL

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 23 Aug 2006 , 10:53pm
post #883 of 1303

here is mine.. it just happened this week.. dont let the full picture fool you... it was barely standing within the hour and it was missing 2 cakes that completely fell apart... no funny story here... pure humidity, 100 degree venue, disappointment and frustration... icon_cry.gif
LL

missybase Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missybase Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 4:17pm
post #884 of 1303

Cake topper, I like your chococat! He's cute! I made a chococat cake for my little sister's birthday last year--she loves him and even has her bathroom decorated in a chococat theme. I used the Wilton Animal Crackers pan, and did some modifications. icon_biggrin.gif

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 25 Aug 2006 , 5:32pm
post #885 of 1303

I've been lurking on this thread for sometime, so now I guess it's time I posted my worst cake. Don't let the photo fool you. A close-up view tells all.
LL

alfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alfie Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 1:14am
post #886 of 1303

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Absolutely better than dogs dancing on YouTube.com !! I empathize and know everyone's pain because I've made the same and/or worse mistakes.

Keep up the good work!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 1:33am
post #887 of 1303

This one had me really upset although it IS funny now. This was for my sister's 40th birthday......we thought it would be her last birthday as she has cancer. She is also mentally about 10-14 years old. I put the cake in the backseat to drive the 75 miles to her birthday party. Don't ask me why I didn't put the cake in a box.....I just covered it with Saran and put it on the backseat. My then 10-year old decided to lay the front seat back and take a nap for the drive. Unknown to us, the seat landed on the cake and smashed one corner! I was in tears because of all the cakes to be ruined, not this one! Not the one that we thought would be my sister's last birthday cake!

I have a pic in a powerpoint sent to me by another sister, so it's not in jpg format to attach here. We love telling this story now, but I was very upset at the time.

(By the way, my sister has had 3 birthdays since that one, and is in year four of a 3 to 5 year life expectancy. She has taught us all a lot during this time. She may be mentally retarded, but she is my hero!)

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 1:48pm
post #888 of 1303

Ok I've been reading this thread from the start- when I first started looking at all of your 'worst' pics- I was having a bad day and I figured OMG you rWORST cakes look better than my best one ever will LOL
Well thankfully I have a huge sense of humour (directed at self often lol) so I wasnt upset long.

My sister finally found this pic of a Teletubbies cake I did for my niece when she was 2. I dont even remember what icing I used but it didnt harden quickly lol. So my girlfriend and I drove to the party, me in the passenger seat with the cake on my lap. Well, laps not being completely flat, and the day being rather hot, the icing just started to slide down the cake volcanic lava style, with the sun shining brightly through the window. Nothing I could do about it, except watch. So when we got to the house of course I was super stressed, however my niece grinned and yelled Teletubbies right away when she saw it. and everyone else made the expected jokes about the teletubbies murder LOL
LL

alfie Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:19pm
post #889 of 1303

oceanspitfire...

I am laughing so much right now that I can barely see the screen!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

But now I know the formula for potential disaster:

LAP + HOT DAY + BIRTHDAY CAKE = Pseudo Ice Cream Cake

This has got to be one of the funniest pictures I have seen in the gallery. Your sister has a great sense of humor to take a photo of that cake icon_lol.gif

Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:26pm
post #890 of 1303

Oceanspitfire: My 2 yr old LOVES your cake. He saw it and+ right away said "Po Winka wink" (that's Tinky Winky to us grown ups) He is pushing me over to get to the picture!!

Just thought I'd share.

Edited to add: he just said "Po Winka wink-----Mess!"

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:45pm
post #891 of 1303

I will do this if it will kill me..................I just finished typing everything out and then was adding the photo and I lost it.....so here I go again....
I have been watching this thread for some time now, too embarrassed to enter my photo, and then thought about it as I was reading everything, wiping the tears away.....my cake is too ugly not to share!!!!
My son (17) is in a carpentry joinery program, the first year...I said I would make a cake for them.....first mistake.....lets add some pressure!!
I thought this would be fun.....sure....stress....fun.....that's me!!
So made MMF, lots of it, then added red, another bottle, another bottle, then my DH, who develops plant nutrients and deals with food dyes, suggested brown...OK..........................still pink...............kindof gave up so made (first time, could you tell??) chocolate tools, colors ran....., then made the hardware for the tool box.......lovely, wasted good money on the silver....
But, I had to deliver a cake, made a promise to my son....and about 12 boys - men between the ages of 17 - 26....
So I ripped of the fondant, grabbed some icing (good thing I have it made up in advance) added cocoa and remade the cake. That , I do have posted in my photo's.
Now, for all of you that are holding off, sending in the photo's, it is safe to share with "friends".................................
LL
LL
LL

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 2:51pm
post #892 of 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

(By the way, my sister has had 3 birthdays since that one, and is in year four of a 3 to 5 year life expectancy. She has taught us all a lot during this time. She may be mentally retarded, but she is my hero!)

Bless you! I have a cousin in a similar situation, he is also retarded, and sometimes people say they feel sorry for him, and I say, NO! Have you ever seen him without a smile on his face? He is always happy to see you, he always has fun things to share with you, no one can meet him and not instantly love him. God knew what he was doing!! And he is quite 'old' for his condition, almost 50, and that is rare. So, give your sister a hug from all of us here!! icon_wink.gif

indydebi Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 4:41pm
post #893 of 1303

Melvira, that is so kind of you! Thanks! I describe her as one of the lucky ones who always has and always will "....see Christmas thru the eyes of a child!" In some ways, we should all be so lucky.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 4:55pm
post #894 of 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Melvira, that is so kind of you! Thanks! I describe her as one of the lucky ones who always has and always will "....see Christmas thru the eyes of a child!" In some ways, we should all be so lucky.

How true! And you have a great postive outlook! thumbs_up.gif

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 6:19pm
post #895 of 1303

I'm going to have to say the one I just finished today, for a meeting in a little while. The background is that EVERYTHING has been going wrong for me lately. This was supposed to be a fun project. There is a volunteer leaving, and my fiance asked me to help him make a cake. We baked it together on Saturday night. Well, the batter was the incredible expanding batter - it overflowed the baking pans, and the dripping batter set fire to my oven and the smoke came pouring out of the kitchen and filled my house. The batter wouldn't finish baking, and kept pouring out of the pans for like 1 1/2 hours, and then the top of the cakes began to burn. My entire house REEKS of smoke still 2 days later. This, by the way, has been the end to a very long string of disasters I've been having. So, I decided not to rebake the cake (mostly because I still don't have the energy to clean my oven), and cut off the burn top and serve the likely horrible tasting smoky burnt chocolate cake.

So, my fiance had picked the design, wanted to do a frozen buttercream transfer, and asked me to help him. He got called out on an emergency on Sunday afternoon. I waited for him until midnight last night, only to find out he was going to be out all night. So I started to decorate it myself. It is lumpy, bumpy, and horrible. The icing wouldn't smooth, the design didn't work out right, and I didn't plan for a border around the transfer to make up for the big giant mound it would create in the middle of the cake. It is not pretty.

So - does anyone want to eat my lumpy, bumpy, hideously ugly, burnt chocolate cake?
LL

indydebi Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 10:21pm
post #896 of 1303

Tkeys....I couldn't stop laughing at this one! It "takes the cake!' (but it still looks pretty good!)

alfie Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 12:22am
post #897 of 1303

Here is a cake that was made by a co-worker that thought it needed more decorations... Sheesh what decoration isn't on there!!
LL

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 29 Aug 2006 , 12:51am
post #898 of 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie

Here is a cake that was made by a co-worker that thought it needed more decorations... Sheesh what decoration isn't on there!!

yes there is something to be said for simplicity, no? LOL wow thats a sensory overload lol

Egads TKeys- sorry to hear bout the smoke job- what's that cake recipe so I can avoid it? LOL

momof3boys, the way I see it, the birthday girl recognized the tubbies in there and so that's all that matters lol- my best friend (who was driving) took the pic- we've shared MANY laughs about MANY stupid things together for almost 20 years-definitely I will keep that photo around to keep reminding myself how much I've learned since then every time I'm hard on myself for new cake mistakes LOL

Aztec9206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aztec9206 Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 3:46am
post #899 of 1303

Oceanspitfire!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif They look more like the a Teletubbie nightmare movie from down under(you know what I mean)... : icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif The colors they are just everywhere, all melting, slipping and sliding together icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Please forgive me...i've had those kind of moments... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

keep on Baking!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Cindy

CSGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSGirl Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 8:16pm
post #900 of 1303

OK, I just spent about 2 hours going through all 60 pages of this post and feel I must post. I'm new to the site, foudn it today searching for "firetruck" cakes for inspiration and I'm hooked. So.... here is my worst cake, theme: Survivor

At first glance, looks OK for novice right? yeah, how about a side view?

(Sorry for how big they are. I will edit as soon as I figure out how to get them resized.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%