Why Don't We Talk About Pies On Here?

Lounge By BellaSweet Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 4:39am by Luvsthedogs

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:57pm
post #301 of 331

Fried Apple Pies.... truly a southern delight! Want to hear something horrible 9and good at the same time?) My husband's grandmother (and you couldn't get more southern than she was) started "short-cutting" the crust on these by rolling out canned biscuits into a wider circle, filling, folding over and pinching, then frying in hot oil. Oh, my! They were wonderful! I'll still do that on occasion in memory of her. We'd never think of taking shortcuts on the filling; however, just the crust portion.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:20am
post #302 of 331

Oh my goodness! My MIL used to do the same thing! She even Baked them in the oven!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:45pm
post #303 of 331

Ok, now going back over some of these recipes I want pie !!!!!!!!!!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:57am
post #304 of 331

Hey everyone, just a brief note to let you know that if you are having trouble finding the recipe links, Heath made it a sticky in the "Recipe Tips and Ideas" forum. Now we'll always know where to find these awesome links. icon_biggrin.gif And thanks to everyone who has contributed such great recipes to them as well!! icon_lol.gif http://www.cakecentral.com/mod.....c&&start=0

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:07am
post #305 of 331

mmmmmm pie... I want pie

thanks for putting all the links in one place! woohoo!

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:25pm
post #306 of 331

I'm in the pie baking mode...searched and searched and finally found this thread. What is the texture of your pecan pie? I've never eaten one before, but was just wondering.

Does anyone have any additional pie tips, recipes, etc?

Have a great day!

bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:47pm
post #307 of 331

I'm glad this thread got resurrected! icon_lol.gif I'm wondering how the pumpkin shortage will affect all your baking this holiday season. Has anyone had a problem with this?

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:48pm
post #308 of 331

My mom bought up a bunch of pumpkin just in case.........I use a lot during the holidays, so we were covering our bases =)

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:36pm
post #309 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannie92869

I'm in the pie baking mode...searched and searched and finally found this thread. What is the texture of your pecan pie? I've never eaten one before, but was just wondering.

Does anyone have any additional pie tips, recipes, etc?

Have a great day!

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=ddmmx5vd_9dp5h9hhp

Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

Anna

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 7:28pm
post #310 of 331

Thanks Anna for reposting the link. I had that saved in my files as well. This year, I decided to do something different besides pumpkin and sweet potato and tried my hand at pecan. It turned out great...at least that's what I was told. LOL. I wasn't for sure of the texture since I had never tried one for myself.

Have a great day!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 7:59pm
post #311 of 331

I like my pecan pie on the smooth and chewy9well cooked) side of congealed. I don't like a loose(wet) pecan pie.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 8:16pm
post #312 of 331

This is a great thread.

My DH LOVES pecan pie but hates the "yucky gooey part" (the custard). One year he asked me if I could make him one with out that. Well, no Babe, that's what holds the pie together. He responded that he was sure I could figure it out. I searched recipes and everything seemed like it would have the same type of consistency (He and my daughter have serious texture issues), so nothing was going to work.

Finally I decided that I would just add way more pecans than the recipe actually called for. Cook it like I normally do, then when I transfer it to the pie crust, scoop out just the pecans and then bake it. They are coated in enough of the custard that it bakes and holds together, but there is no gooey bottom.

It came out perfect, and now that's the only way I will make a pie for him. I have also started making them in muffin pan so that there are individual pies. It's so hard to cut a small piece of solid pecan pie, the individual ones are much easier. May need to go back and try the cream cheese crust that someone posted for mini pies in a muffin pan that sounded really good.

LearningCurve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LearningCurve Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 9:51pm
post #313 of 331

I just found this thread and just in time for Thanksgiving!! icon_smile.gif

Can you make other pies in a brown bag or does it only work for apple??

Thanks!

PS My Grandma's Peach Struesel pie is my favorite pie!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 3:09pm
post #314 of 331

Okay everyone I've updated the recipe links! Click on the link in my signature and go to page 6 for the updates! icon_lol.gif

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 4:30pm
post #315 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwebb68

This is a great thread.

My DH LOVES pecan pie but hates the "yucky gooey part" (the custard). One year he asked me if I could make him one with out that. Well, no Babe, that's what holds the pie together. He responded that he was sure I could figure it out. I searched recipes and everything seemed like it would have the same type of consistency (He and my daughter have serious texture issues), so nothing was going to work.

Finally I decided that I would just add way more pecans than the recipe actually called for. Cook it like I normally do, then when I transfer it to the pie crust, scoop out just the pecans and then bake it. They are coated in enough of the custard that it bakes and holds together, but there is no gooey bottom.

It came out perfect, and now that's the only way I will make a pie for him. I have also started making them in muffin pan so that there are individual pies. It's so hard to cut a small piece of solid pecan pie, the individual ones are much easier. May need to go back and try the cream cheese crust that someone posted for mini pies in a muffin pan that sounded really good.

That sounds great, but does it like double or triple the calories per slice! I love pecan pie but I only rarely indulge.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 4:43pm
post #316 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwebb68

This is a great thread.

Ok, I'm going out on the 'I probably sound like an idiot' limb but... I've never had a pecan pie with custard. Or is that what you call the gel-like stuff under the pecans? And you refer to cooking it before putting it in the pie shell, again I've never heard of such a thing. The kind of pecan pie I make you mix all the raw ingredients and pour it into a shell and bake. Am I just not understanding how you said it, or do you use some different recipe? I'd love to know.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 4:55pm
post #317 of 331

Well hello Melvira..so good to see you!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 10:14pm
post #318 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Hello my dear, sweet Edna! I've missed you so much!! Life is starting to settle down a bit now though, so you might see me a bit more often. Of course, as soon as I say that the next 'big thing' will happen, right? icon_rolleyes.gif

tonedna Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:06am
post #319 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Hello my dear, sweet Edna! I've missed you so much!! Life is starting to settle down a bit now though, so you might see me a bit more often. Of course, as soon as I say that the next 'big thing' will happen, right? icon_rolleyes.gif

Im taking a break myself! But Im doing so much still. I hope all is good with the shop!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:31am
post #320 of 331
Quote:

Im taking a break myself! But Im doing so much still. I hope all is good with the shop!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Oh, lordy... this is not the place for that discussion. icon_rolleyes.gif Landlady went psycho on me, I moved out. Back home now and SOOO much happier. Buuut, I've finally lost all my baby weight! thumbs_up.gif Trying to update my avatar but having trouble.

Ok, sorry peeps, back to stuff that's on subject!

tonedna Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:06am
post #321 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:

Edna icon_smile.gif

Oh, lordy... this is not the place for that discussion. icon_rolleyes.gif Landlady went psycho on me, I moved out. Back home now and SOOO much happier. Buuut, I've finally lost all my baby weight! thumbs_up.gif Trying to update my avatar but having trouble.

Ok, sorry peeps, back to stuff that's on subject!

I love the new avatar...OMG you look awesome with the blonde hair!
Sorry about phsycho lady..that sucks! I had that happened to me to, same reason for my very much needed break!
Edna icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:07pm
post #322 of 331

I was actually afraid to use the "new" crisco for my crusts..... I heard that it wasn't working so well. Sooo, I used hi-ratio...didn't like it at all. I tried the new c...OMG, awesome crust! I thought they were good with the old, but the new kicks butt!!!!!

Just wanted to say that icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:51pm
post #323 of 331

Oh I love pie, I would rather eat a slice of pie than a piece of cake tapedshut.gif
But I would rather make a cake than a pie, LOL!
Someone mentioned that their husband has texture issues, well, so does mine. But he likes everything smooooth. So I was going to make a homemade coconut cream pie but he doesn't like the flakes of coconut in it icon_confused.gif I would have maybe used a little bit of the fine coconut in it but I never had any so I put 2 tsp. of coconut extract in it instead. Leave it over night for the taste to go all through it and YUMMO icon_biggrin.gif

Graham Pie Shell:
1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
Bake for 10 min. @ 350

Filling
½ cup flour
½ cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
3 cups milk
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1½ tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. coconut extract or 3/4 cup of coconut
1 tbsp. butter

Mix dry ingredients together and add milk gradually stirring until smooth. Microwave 2 min, stir, continue to cook and stir until mixture thickens. Then add a small amount of mixture to egg and return eggs to mixture. Cook again until it boils. Stir in extracts and butter. Poor into baked pie shell and refrigerate.

tonedna Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 4:45pm
post #324 of 331

I love coconut pie!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:29pm
post #325 of 331
Quote:

I love coconut pie!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

I'm sitting here eating it right now icon_lol.gif Want some? lol!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 6:57pm
post #326 of 331

I love coconut pie too! Someone told me they make a coconut cheesecake and before adding the filling to the crust they scatter coconut Kisses on top of the crust that just adds that extra touch of yumminess.

Does anyone have a great German Chocolate Pie recipe? I have googled some but wanted to make one that someone has already tried. TIA

tonedna Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:53pm
post #327 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_Kake

Quote:

I love coconut pie!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

I'm sitting here eating it right now icon_lol.gif Want some? lol!

icon_sad.gificon_cry.gif Not fair!...I want some!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 12:53am
post #328 of 331

I've made so many pies at work the last few days I could scream.

My millionaire pie is different than the one earlier mentioned in the thread. My recipe has chocolate chips, walnuts and coconut. I sometimes cover it in ganache.

Lots of good recipes in this thread. I've never had chess pie but it sound great. I have a recipe for a really strong grasshopper pie somewhere. It's a pie for when the family is on your nerves. icon_lol.gif

Mel--You look great! Keep up the good work.

Melvira Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 2:40am
post #329 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Mel--You look great! Keep up the good work.

Thank you for that. These are the words that get me through those chocolate fits. icon_lol.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 4:08pm
post #330 of 331

I've kind of skimmed through this, but I don't think I saw this recipe in this thread. It's a family favorite, and a regional specialty. Thought I'd share:

Stack Pie

6 pie shells (Place in pie pans and trim the crust so that it only goes about half way up the side of the pan. A pizza cutter works great for this.)

10 egg yolks
1 1/2 C. sugar
1 1/2 C. melted butter
1 C. cream

Combine egg yolks, butter, sugar, cream. Beat until sugar has dissolved. Add scant cup of pie filling to each uncooked pie shell. It fills six. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes (The filling will seem firm) When cool, top each pie with a thin layer of caramel icing and stack them. Then cover the entire stack with caramel icing.

Simple Caramel Frosting.

3/4 C. butter, melted
1 1/2 C. brown sugar
1/4 C. plus 2 T. milk
(Mix these together and bring to a boil.)

Add 1 t. vanilla
3C. powdered sugar

Beat until creamy and smooth.

SSooooooooo rich, you only need a very small slice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%