Post Your Worst Cake!!

Decorating By ge978 Updated 23 Aug 2018 , 10:59pm by kakeladi

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:07am
post #991 of 1303

Even on this thread I'm a little ashamed to post this...especially since I just made it about 6 months ago, but here's my first attempt with fondant. It wasn't so much the fondant that gave me trouble, but my weird mishapen flip flop. icon_redface.gif
LL

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:33am
post #992 of 1303

Mine is between two!

First was my first FBCT. OMG have I learned from this! It was placed on triple choc chip frosting, bday girl's choice.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=Zmama&cat=0&pos=11

The other was a choc fudge cake that cracked. First time modelling fondant, didn't let it dry, tried to glue the cake back together. This was definantly a "let's eat it now" cake LOL. They loved it, for just the two of them and leftovers for their kids, but it too was a lesson in the making!
LL

Zmama Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:35am
post #993 of 1303

Mine is between two!

First was my first FBCT. OMG have I learned from this! It was placed on triple choc chip frosting, bday girl's choice.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=Zmama&cat=0&pos=11

The other was a choc fudge cake that cracked. First time modelling fondant, didn't let it dry, tried to glue the cake back together. This was definantly a "let's eat it now" cake LOL. They loved it, for just the two of them and leftovers for their kids, but it too was a lesson in the making!
LL

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 7:50pm
post #994 of 1303

Good grief, do people actually take pictures of their worst cakes? Not me!

Zmama Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 7:58pm
post #995 of 1303

LOL Shirley, my worst cakes were first attempts at different techniques. I took pictures to see how I am progressing.

ShirleyW Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 8:15pm
post #996 of 1303

I wish I had a picture of the first wedding cake I made, YIKES! Blue icing, the cake started to collapse and the brides mother stuck pieces of wood under the board to hold it up. Then she added fuschia Azaleas to cover the spots where it cracked. Thank heaven it was a gift cake. Okay, here is one I did in July, it turned out so pretty, until I delivered it in the car, it tipped over and I made a grab for it. Took out the whole side. It was for my granddaughters birthday, fotunately she was understanding. But it is UGLY.
LL

Zmama Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 8:19pm
post #997 of 1303

It's adorable! Love black and white with splashes of color, so elegant. Matches the cake stand perfectly! How did you get it to curve that way, thinner in the middle of the top layer and thicker on top and bottom? Did you have to carve it?

ShirleyW Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 4:49am
post #998 of 1303

It is an 8" round, 6", 8" and then just carved a bit in the center. 10" cake dummy on the bottom, covered in black satin ice fondant. The stripes were all nicely lined up till it fell and I grabbed it, there is a hunk of black fondant missing in the bottom cake near the plate as well.

cakegirl0315 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl0315 Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 5:05am
post #999 of 1303

So I had a lady ask me for a horse cake and I thought no problem I'll sculpt one. I had it planned out perfectly in my mind. This was before I had even tried working with fondant so I was doing it in buttercream but thought nooooooo problem. I have a plan, I have it under control! This was for a wedding rehearsal dinner and the bride loved horses. The lady that requested it had gotten several cakes from me and always raved about me. So I'm working on the cake and really into concentrating very hard on it. I get done and I'm very proud. I show my family and everyone of them cocked their head and said "I thought you were doing a horse...not an armadillo..." I wanted to cry especially after I stood back and said "OMG!! It does look like an armadillo!" I tried to tweek it but there was nothing to do but throw it out and start over and no time for that. I was so embarrassed when they came to pick it up. The lady didn't call me for months so I just knew she hated it and I didn't blame her.
LL

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 6:11am
post #1000 of 1303

Baby Booties, Coco Puffs - Bunnies Just Happen and Oscar the Grouch - I am laughing sooo hard and I should be in BED! I am only on page 11 - I will have to save the rest for tomorrow! icon_smile.gif

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 6:25am
post #1001 of 1303

i had the bright idea to make my grandma some calla lillies out of sugar paste. Then I thought, ooh, monocromatic (pink and white) This thing was hideous!!!! Never had done anything out of sugar paste before and I don't know what posessed me to try. Good thing granny left her glasses at home. lol

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 6:34am
post #1002 of 1303

This is the worst, cake too tall, holes in fondant etc.
LL
LL

Mamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamas Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 6:35am
post #1003 of 1303

As mentioned earlier I too "eat the evidence" I don't really take as many pictures as I should and I certainly don't take pictures of the bad ones but the Sesame Street cupcakes were piped with cream cheese frosting and rooky that I am I couldn't understand why the "fur" just didn't look right and Big Bird well . . . you see him. I asked my three year old son to see how recognizable they were and he said "Uh . . . uh . . . Sponge Bob!"

The second picture I am pretty proud of still but perhaps in time it will become my shame. I like my scarey cake and think it was very imaginative but some have expressed concern.

Mamas Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 7:07am
post #1004 of 1303

OH MY GOODNESS!

the baby in the fridge
"Bunnies just happened"
Cinderrella with too much collagen
the sadest christmas ornament I have ever seen
and those booties . . .

I am only on page 11 but I can't go on. I can't breathe and its 2am. One more outburst and I will wake up the whole family. You people are too much!

This thread is sooooo funny!

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 7:16am
post #1005 of 1303

First of all...I am so glad someone started this thread! Its nice to know that there are others out there like me that have had really bad cakes.

This cake was a my first try at pouring ganache. It never hardened, the rosettes slide, and the strawberries never sat right!

This was my first try at fondant. Thank goodness it was my sons birthday cake. I was so frustrated after this cake it took me 3 months to try fondant again!

Mamas Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 7:23am
post #1006 of 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by babynewyear

This cake is the reason I havent tried to really decorate a cake in twenty years. Every time I made a cake it fell and the only way to fix it was with LOTS of frosting. My family was always teasing me about my caved in cakes. So last year I secretly took wilton classes to redeem my reputation. This is my Oscar the grouch which has been haunting me for years.
Oh I LOve the baby booties they remind me of old Fuzzy slippers. This is such a funny thread. I'm still to nervous to post any other pictures. Too many years of being laughed at.

I hope you are kidding because I can't stop laughing. If you aren't kidding then its just mean and I will stop immediately.

Look around some of these cakes are just strange and none of us have let that stop us. Some of us even had the nerve to put birthday candles on them. Come ooooooohn!

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 7:39am
post #1007 of 1303

your cake looks like a horse to me... funny thing about the armadillo comment though...

i was watching the local christmas parade on tv the other night and there was an armadillo float and the announcer goes ''that's right, because nothing says christmas like an armadillo''

SweetResults Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 1:53pm
post #1008 of 1303

Okay - I have 2 I can remember from high school - I used to sell them back then, of course poor mom was the one paying for supplies and cleaning up LOL! I guess she figured she didn't have to pay for me to do sports...

First one that comes to mind is the Number One shaped Wilton pan for someone's birthday. I was trying to use frosting left over from another cake to save time. Something was soooo wrong with it! I think it was too old or something, but it was baby blue and I could not get the crumbs out of it! THen I put a YELLOW boarder and writing - it was sooo awful. Finally I called the woman to stall her and ended up making another one altogether, and hiding the first one under the kitchen table when she came to pick it up!

Second one this woman wanted an all chocolate cake with chocolate chips in the batter, plus chocolate frosting on top - I like chocolate, but YUCK! So I made, of course, a giant chocolate chocolate chip cookie cake complete with Hershey's Kisses stuck in it for the chips. Sooo grosss!. Then she had the nerve to tell me that it was "too chocolately" - DUH!!!!

Third was a Wilton Course I cake from 5th grade that had the spray of rosebuds curved around the top of the round cake - you all know the one. Well imagine it iced in COBALT BLUE! With yellow boarder, pink (VERY pink) rosebuds and VERY green stems with a yellow bow. Sorry folks - no pictures of those!!

SweetResults Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 2:27pm
post #1009 of 1303

Okay - doggie poo cake on pg 55 - looks just like the Gopher from Caddy Shack!!! Iiiiii'm all right, nobody worry 'bout me....

LOL!

jespooky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jespooky Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:46am
post #1010 of 1303

I thought i was gonna die when i saw chewy wearing the booties, my 3 year old was still awake, and in the other room, but was laughing right a long with me saying "you funny mommy!!" icon_lol.gif I havn't laughed so hard in a LOOONG time, and i think this thread is great!! If you want to see my worst, check out my photos. it's the trial run castle.....6 hours of work and it looked like that!! icon_cry.gif worst part is, i have to make it again THIS WEEK..... icon_sad.gif

brandisbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandisbakery Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 4:28am
post #1011 of 1303

Ok, so here's mine. It was my first time ever trying to make a doll cake. I tried putting the real doll in it, and well, she completely ruined the cake, lol. I took the legs off my daughter's brand new $25 Barbie and stuck the rest of her body in my broken cake. Then the whole time at the party, I was filling the hole with icing, lol. She also started melting. It was a nightmare. I am so embarrassed about this cake, but I still show it to prove that not every cake will come out the way that I envisioned it. I make mistakes too, lol. The only good thing about it, is that the hole was in the back of her dress.
LL

cncgirl00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cncgirl00 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 8:27pm
post #1012 of 1303

Do you hear what Barbie is saying?
I'm melting, I'm melting! LOL This thread is too funny!

brandisbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandisbakery Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 8:38pm
post #1013 of 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncgirl00

LMAO! Yep! That's exactly what she's saying!!!

Mamas Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 8:48pm
post #1014 of 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncgirl00

Leaning back with arms outstretched and everything!
icon_lol.gif It was the first thing I thought when I saw the picture.

This has got to stop! I still haven't even read the whole thing. I am only on page 22!

destini377 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destini377 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 9:26pm
post #1015 of 1303

Ohhhh, too funny! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Ok, decorating is new for me so most are in the "are you seriously gonna show that to somebody" kind of category! My worst to date has to be the first I tried to "decorate". My son was turning 3 and loved trains (Thomas the Tank Engine). At the time he also had a wheat intollerance. Couldn't even begin to think how to make a cake without real flour. icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif Found a wheat-free recipe then doubled it (oops - shouldn't a' done that). I don't remember exactly what evil spell I put on the frosting but it was sliding down the side of the cake and between the two cakes that I slid together, trains are sinking, the rocks and boulders look like forest animal poo.... the cake itself was so hard and dry the kids didn't even eat it (you know it's bad it the kids don't eat it). Two of my husband's army buddies choked down their pieces, no one else ate any cake. icon_rolleyes.gif

Ok, so my son doesn't remember that it was horrible, just that mommy made him a train cake - love! icon_biggrin.gif

sorry so long... it's the train cake in my gallery... icon_wink.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 9:32pm
post #1016 of 1303

brandisbakery - - - I know who threw water on Barbie causing her to melt.......candy177 jealous witch on page 66!

Ladyofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyofcake Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 11:59pm
post #1017 of 1303

OMG, this is the FUNNIEST thread I have ever read in my life - I am laughing SO HARD.....
I have had many bad ones in life, but the most recent has to be after becoming a new mom to a colicky little girl and after months of sleep deprivation I decided to start baking again. Please don't ask me what happened, as I cannot honestly tell you - remember Close Encounters, when he was piling up the mashed potatoes...? Well, same thing happend here with cake... I think it is aliens, perhaps the mothership, but not really sure....
BTW, Katharry, I know what happened to the cabbagepatch zombie - she was taken aboard the mothership, LOL.....! She is my favorite so far, I must admit...I laughed so hard I woke up my baby, LOL....

Ladyofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyofcake Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 12:05am
post #1018 of 1303

here it is, didn't work in last post...
LL

meggylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggylou Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 12:14am
post #1019 of 1303

I decided to make this cake for all of my in-laws for Christmas before I had started my Wilton classes. Obviously it did not come out right. Note for future-don't use chocolate cake with poured fondant when you have no clue what you are doing.
LL

bethbyington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethbyington Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 12:51am
post #1020 of 1303

I can't find a picture of my worst cake, but it was actually meant to be ugly. About an hour before I had a houseful of girlfriends over for scrapbooking, I made a cake and smeared leftover pink and blue icing on it. I wrote on the top that we were having a baby and put the cover on. It was priceless when my friend lifted up the cover and saw the cake. She said "ooo" when she saw the ugly cake, and then screamed when she read the top. We got the same reaction about 10 times in a row, it was hilarious and and a lot of fun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%