Decorating By tcturtleshell Updated 7 Sep 2005 , 6:16pm by JennT

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 5:47pm
post #31 of 51

Sounds great!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 6:26pm
post #32 of 51

Hi, sure glad to hear that Melissa and her family are all right! I'd be happy to join into the sharing when we have addresses and information for those who need help. Janice

TinaRe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinaRe Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 9:07pm
post #33 of 51

JennT sounds good to me! I would like to have some of the addresses as well. Maybe the colthing sizes of the people in the family would be good!

butrcup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butrcup Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 9:38pm
post #34 of 51

If you could post the info (sizes, ages, boys-girls) etc I'm sure we could all help. Just let us know....

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 9:47pm
post #35 of 51

I am so happy to hear that Melissa is ok. There has not been a day go by that I did not think of her and her family. Now if we could just hear from Bigeasycakes. Is that everyone we know of? I will keep my prayers going.

Cindy

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 10:37pm
post #36 of 51

Don't know if any of ya'll go to www.sugarcraft.com but on their message boards, they have listed some of the ICES people they have heard from. It's listed under the topic of: ICES/Classes/Cake Shows/Clubs

TinaRe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinaRe Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 11:04pm
post #37 of 51

It sounds as if my area will be getting katrina victims. The clothes that I wanted to mail may not have to be mailed after all. I have been in touch with our pastor and we are going to try something.
Still send me the address of our CC friends from there so we can send care packages~what a great idea!!!
Tina

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 2:44am
post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennT

I'll do my part to keep it current...waiting to bid on a steam cleaner on ebay...so I'll be up for at least another hour or so...know I'm in your time zone, but at least I can bump it up every now & then.

I have a suggestion: For those of you in Canada: Once we find out where exactly Melissa Black is, maybe you guys that are near her could get together & either mail or deliver some things to her. I'm sure she could use just about everything!!! I would be willing to contribute as well....money or items. I'd love to know how many kids she has and their ages, sizes. Mine have more clothes, etc. than they could possibly need! I'm sure she has family & friends, being that's where she's from and all. But we all are pretty close here at CC, and at a time like this I think it would be a real boost for her. I would like to do the same for Dodibug, BJFranco, BigEasyCakes (if we ever hear from her) and anyone else down here in NOLA or Mississippi or Alabama. Maybe I should just hush and see if I can get this organized.

It may just be a nice idea, and not very doable....but I know that after we were through the worst of it after Katrina here, and I was able to get back online & see all of the wonderful thoughts & prayers offered up for me and my family from all of you here at CC....well - let's just say I cried for almost 2 hrs. It was one of the most touching things I've ever experienced. To never ever have seen my face, or the faces of my DH or children, you all were so concerned...and I could just feel the sincerety and compassion with every post I read! If I ever meet any of you....watch out...'cause I'm gonna KISS YOUR FACE!!!!! icon_eek.gificon_razz.gificon_wink.gif lol icon_lol.gif

I know it's one thing to write a post and say all of the things in our hearts, but it's a totally other/different thing when we actually are able to do something...and when we're able and one of "ours" is within reach...why not??!

TC: If/when you get an address for Melissa Black (or anyone else) please let us know. I'm gonna try and come up with an idea for a way to get some basic essentials together, as well as some little extras to give 'em a smile, and see if we can't get some "care pkgs" together.

Jenn that is a great idea. Just a comment though regarding sending things to Melissa Black. Don't know if you realize this in the U.S., but Canada post costs are just awful here. We are talking $25- $35 for not very large packages unless you go by ground for larger items. So sometimes it is better to send cash than to send a parcel. I know it is like that both within Canada and mailing to the U.S. I have a lot of Amercian cousins and I also ship a lot within Canada. So a lot would depend on where she is relocating to and how close it is to other Canucks, in terms of shipping costs. I was just thinking, once we know where she is, we will be better able to determine what is available close to her. For example Michael's Canadian store gift certificates if she lives in a major city or things like that.
Guess once we know where she is, it will be easier to figure out what is the best route to go to give her maximum value for the dollars spent!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 2:51am
post #39 of 51

SC - you're absolutely right about shipping costs. From what I remember, less than 5 lbs. of Christmas presents last year cost me about $30 to ship airmail to ONT, and they say ground can take as much as 6 weeks. Of course, this year I will ship them in time to go ground, but in the meantime, gift certificates for MB are a great idea! Within the US, though, for our other CC Katrina survivors, shipping shouldn't be too bad. Most cake supplies are pretty light.

Ali

SquirrellyCakes Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 3:04am
post #40 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by alimonkey

SC - you're absolutely right about shipping costs. From what I remember, less than 5 lbs. of Christmas presents last year cost me about $30 to ship airmail to ONT, and they say ground can take as much as 6 weeks. Of course, this year I will ship them in time to go ground, but in the meantime, gift certificates for MB are a great idea! Within the US, though, for our other CC Katrina survivors, shipping shouldn't be too bad. Most cake supplies are pretty light.Ali

Yes you are right, I have an elderly aunt that I ship a lot of parcels too. Sometimes I think I would be better off sending her the money so she could get something really nice instead of sending her parcels that cost almost as much in postage as the present itself. But then, she does so love to open parcels, haha! But even sending within Canada is outrageous! Kiddiekakes can get things cheaper from California than from Toronto, because she is in Calgary and California is closer. Anyway, something to consider here!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 3:04am
post #41 of 51

I agree with Squirrlley....

This is such a wonderful idea!!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Great thinking everyone!

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 3:34am
post #42 of 51

Great point, Squirelly Cakes!! Thanks for bringing that up! I've already got a few pans together and extra decorating supplies, as well as some general kitchen stuffs that I just don't use.

I've pm'd Dodibug, BJFranco & MelissaBlack telling them what we'd like to do and asking for them to forward me their mailing address (when they know what/where that will be) as well as the sizes of clothes, etc. that anyone else in their family may need and not be able to obtain otherwise. Oh yeah....need to pm Marknrox too!! If ya'll think of anyone else, just let me know here or pm me!

I also just realized it might be a good idea to ask them what their favorite cake stuff is! Like pans, bags, etc. Something that one of us hates & never uses just might be one of their favorites, ya never know! I've been scouting out some ebay auctions for stuff so that I can forward it to some of them when i get their info! I'm a pro at last second bidding, (hehehe icon_twisted.gif ) so hopefully I'll get some great stuff at really low costs!! thumbs_up.gif

JennT Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 4:02am
post #43 of 51

Does anyone know BigEasyCakes real name? I've been searching the sugarcraft message boards, but they're all using real names, not screen names. It sure would help if I knew her name!! I'm getting so frustrated trying to find her by BigEasyCakes. I just can't stop thinking about her & I want to find her.

After all of this is "over" for a while....we need to have a "convention" type thing so we can all meet each other!!!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 4:06am
post #44 of 51

Possibly tcturtleshell knows, she was inquiring I believe. If nobody does, perhaps you should PM Jackie about it. Not sure about privacy issues though.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 4:15am
post #45 of 51

Good ideas. I'm glad to hear Melissa and her family are safe and with each other. I hope we hear from BigEasyCakes soon.

This is such a caring forum, everyone is wonderful.

JennT Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 4:41am
post #46 of 51

SC - you're probably right...I'll pm TC and see if she knows. I bet Jackie's hands would be tied on this one...wouldn't want to put her on the spot...she's so great.

Thanks!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 6:48am
post #47 of 51

Hey my CC Friends,

I'm sorry I haven't been back to CC in a day or so. I'm sick. I have done what I did a few months ago... forgot to put on my face mask when making icing.

I had a wedding/groom's cake order due this past Sat. I couldn't back out of it because they had already paid me. I wanted to because I have avacuees at my home. Anyway.. I was so busy with the cakes, cooking meals, watching FoxNews, & worrying about my best friend that I forgot to use my face mask!!!!!! Of course I got sick as usual by the powder sugar & cocoa powder dust. I went to the dr. today & got a shot & some meds. Hopefully it won't turn into bronchitis this time!! Enough of my whinning!!!!!!

MarknRox didn't lose their home nor have any damage. They live up in Lake Charles near Ntertayneme if I remember correctly. That is west of NOLA. So she & her family are fine! Thank God!

I will email MelissaBlack again & get the address where she will be at in Canada. Hopefully she hasn't left for Canada yet. If she has I know she will be back on CC once she gets settled in at her friends house.

I'm trying to find BigEasyCakes. I hope to find her soon!! Going to go check out ICES like Mac suggested. She is an ICES member so maybe they'll know where she is.

I'd just like to say that my family on CC is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone of you!!!!!!!!! I know we can get some things sent where we need to. I can't help with sending things because I have a house full right now & 3 more coming soon but I can help find people & get messages through to them from ya'll!!! I know they will melt when they see the overflow of prayers & love being sent their way!!!!! If that hurricane would have stayed going straight up La. my city would have had damage too. I'm so thankful that we were spared so that we can help out the evacuees. I've got chills writing that!! It could have been any of our states hit by this disaster.

Thanks for encouraging me with all your kind words & prayers. As ya'll know I'm the sweet helping BUT temper mental person on CC. I have been humbled by this hurricane experience in ways that I can't discribe. Please pray for me & my temper, so I can keep on doing what I can to help people out. The help comes from the heart as it does from my hubby & kids hearts. I'm having a few problems with one of the evacuees staying at my house. Please pray that I can overcome this & still feel humbled at the same time. This person is started to get on my last nerve & I'm ready to tell him off but don't want to... but my mouth will open first instead of my brain. icon_smile.gif. So will you please pray for me? Thanks!!! I need that!!

THANKS FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY LOUISIANA HEART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ya'll are welcome in La. anytime!!!!!!!!!!! Come look me up!!!!!! I'll let you stay with me!!!!!!! NO lie!!!!

I pray that God blesses each of you for all your prayers & concerns!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~TC~

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 7:26am
post #48 of 51

A number of you have contacted me regarding your collective concerns about other CC members that have not logged in since Katrina, and live in the affected areas.

We cannot give out any personal information about any CC member without thier explicit consent.

I cannot violate this privacy policy under any circumstances.

However what I can do is this,
If you believe one of our members may be "lost" from Katrina, please PM me or Heath, and we can try and get in touch with them personally if we have that info. from there we can let you know the status of those individuals if we were able to make contact or not. In most cases the only information we have on CC members is the email address they used to register their account with.

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 9:11am
post #49 of 51

To you all keep the faith God is able your love prayers and good deeds means so much be blessed in all your well doing. Love ya!

BritBB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BritBB Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 3:03pm
post #50 of 51

TC,
You are a true angel! You have been kind enough to take strangers into your home and, no matter how difficult the circumstances, they should still treat you and your home with respect.
God bless,
Barbara

JennT Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 6:16pm
post #51 of 51

Hey there everyone -

Wanted to let ya'll know what I've found out....

Marknrox (Roxanne) and her family are fine...even able to work right now. Their house/home/famliy are all ok and they have food/water, etc. Said to tell everyone thank you so much for your concern, but they are not in need of anything, really. In fact, she's been cooking spaghetti (and a cake, of course!) for some of the people in a shelter near her! She's a trooper! thumbs_up.gif

Dodibug - (Dori) her & her family-husband and 1 yr old - are staying at her in-laws in Port Richey, FL, near Tampa. They haven't been allowed to come back home yet, and when they do get back to their house, they're not sure what they will be able to keep, if anything, due to the contamination levels of the water the house has been sitting in. So they are definitely in need of anything/everything anyone is able to or wants to provide. Her husband was about to start dental school back in LA, but isn't sure if he'll be able to do that, so right now he's trying to see if he can get in at the Univ. of Florida, for the time being.

If you would like to send her anything, please pm me & I have her permission to forward her mailing address to you personally.

I'll let ya'll know when MelissaBlack and/or BigEasyCakes replies to me.

Jennifer

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%