Billowing Technique, How Do You Do This, It's Awesome.

Decorating By bakencake Updated 3 Mar 2011 , 7:14am by JanH

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 11:36pm
post #61 of 136

That's great that it is coming out in the next issue, but since I have yet to receive ANY issue, Im just kinda bummed:/ Maybe you can make a video tutorial.

pummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pummy Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 11:45pm
post #62 of 136

can't wait!! thumbs_up.gif

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 11:58pm
post #63 of 136
Quote:
Quote:

Pleased to meet you!! I have to ask -- did you ever get your pink cake back???? (Inquiring minds want to know!!)

Ohhh yes!! did you figure out who did it?
beautiful cake! will buy the mag just to see how you did this

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 12:18am
post #64 of 136

Hi Susan thumbs_up.gif

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 12:38am
post #65 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peecheekeeno

Hi Everyone,
My name's Susan Trianos and I'm the lady who created the Tufted Billoweave (TM) technique. Andrea and I are good friends and so far, she is the only person who I've shared this technique with.
WOW, I had no idea that so many people were interested!! Well, I know you all know that I will be doing a tutorial on this technique in the Jan/Feb issue of Cake Central. Until it's been distributed, I've been asked to keep the method quite. So far, nobody has guessed...some are close though.
Thanks for your interest...hold tight, it's coming soon.
Have a great weekend everybody!!
Susan
P.S. Hi Diane icon_biggrin.gif

Pleased to meet you!! I have to ask -- did you ever get your pink cake back???? (Inquiring minds want to know!!) icon_lol.gif

Please to know you, and I want to know what happened to your cake and the cake thief too?!

I can not wait to see your tutorial.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 12:39am
post #66 of 136

ok? now i am really confused. Are we talking about the gold divider tier technique or the other three tiers (green or greenish blue) , the technique used on them with the diamond effect and the button. Is that the billowing effect or the gold tier(how each of those were done. Help me understand , please. tia

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 1:16am
post #67 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

ok? now i am really confused. Are we talking about the gold divider tier technique or the other three tiers (green or greenish blue) , the technique used on them with the diamond effect and the button. Is that the billowing effect or the gold tier(how each of those were done. Help me understand , please. tia

Gold tier (billowing effect)
Greenish blue tiers (diamond effect)

Yes, it's the gold tier that everyone is talking about. And the owner of the technique just showed up a few entries before this one. There's another cake in her gallery with the same effect (it's a pink one, big).

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 1:31am
post #68 of 136

hello, icer101,
the original post was a question about a cake by Andrea Sullivan: "green and ivory wedding cake"... it has the quilted diamond pattern on it, AND... the tufted billow weave!

Andrea's friend, Susan Trianos, showed Andrea how to do the technique, which is why Andrea was not able to tell anyone her "techniques".

This technique is now being showcased in the next issue of Cake Central magazine, and it's also a trademarked technique by Susan Trianos! If you take a look at "Peecheekeeno's"/Susan Trianos's photos, here on cake central, you'll see the cake that started the tufted billow weave craze... it's pink and you can't miss it!! it's unlike just about any other cake I've ever seen!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 1:44am
post #69 of 136

Ok, thank you both so much, for this info. Why i was confused, i looked at the video another person linked us to ,and it showed someone doing a sewing basket lid using the technique that is on the diamond tiers of the first cake. She is using the dresden nd veining tool. So now, i understand what the talk is all about. lol!!

tresye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tresye Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 2:01am
post #70 of 136

how this works

imagenthatnj Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 2:12am
post #71 of 136
Quote:

Ok, thank you both so much, for this info. Why i was confused, i looked at the video another person linked us to ,and it showed someone doing a sewing basket lid using the technique that is on the diamond tiers of the first cake. She is using the dresden nd veining tool. So now, i understand what the talk is all about. lol!!

Yes, the person who put the link to the video was confused. That was not what everyone was talking about.

imagenthatnj Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 3:06am
post #72 of 136
Quote:

Gold tier (billowing effect)
Greenish blue tiers (diamond effect)

Yes, it's the gold tier that everyone is talking about. And the owner of the technique just showed up a few entries before this one. There's another cake in her gallery with the same effect (it's a pink one, big).

tresye Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 6:09am
post #73 of 136

does anyone know how to do it yet!!!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 12:37pm
post #74 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by tresye

does anyone know how to do it yet!!!

Go back and read the whole thread. there are several guesses as to how it was done. But the person who actually did the cake and has a copyright on the design posted a few pages back that she cannot give out the method until after her tutorial is published in the Jan/Feb issue of CakeCentral Magazine.

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 12:44pm
post #75 of 136

Can you seriously copyright a cake technique?! So, if someone else was to make billows on their cake, she could sue? Am I the only one who thinks that is a tad ridiculous?!

I copyright polka dots then!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 1:02pm
post #76 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin2345

Can you seriously copyright a cake technique?! So, if someone else was to make billows on their cake, she could sue? Am I the only one who thinks that is a tad ridiculous?!

I copyright polka dots then!

Sorry I mispoke. Yust went back and reread. She didn't copyright the technique. She trademarked the name for the technique, "Tufted Billoweave"

But if you get polka dots, I call stripes. icon_biggrin.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 1:31pm
post #77 of 136

Wow..it's beautiful.

My guess is a thin fondant snake, with a larger fondant sleeve wrapped around it, seam in back - then pinched every 2 or 3 inches.
Maybe dried first on a fat tube shape...
This is for one row, obviously.

I don't know!
I do know I want this issue!

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 5:37pm
post #78 of 136

The same design, but not "puffed up" can be seen on Caketress's blog. Her cake is featured in the lastest Todays Bride Magazine.

I'm taking a wild guess but I think its an impression mat that both decorators used, with one using the design flat, the other adding a bit of "stuffing" for a different effect.

You can see Caketress's cake on the link. Scroll down to the pink & coral wedding cake. Its a beauty, as is all her cakes!

http://thecaketressblog.com/

imagenthatnj Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 5:45pm
post #79 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by warchild

The same design, but not "puffed up" can be seen on Caketress's blog. Her cake is featured in the lastest Todays Bride Magazine.

I'm taking a wild guess but I think its an that both decorators used, with one using the design flat, the other adding a bit of "stuffing" for a different effect.

You can see Caketress's cake on the link. Scroll down to the pink & coral wedding cake. Its a beauty, as is all her cakes!

I read this blog every day. It was the first thing that came to my head, that if anyone had done this, it would be her.

But I went through all the entries, from beginning to end, and the puffed stuff, which is what they're talking about here, is nowhere there. But yes, I saw the beautiful pink & coral wedding cake. I keep looking at it every day. It's very unfortunate that I can't go take classes at the Bonnie Gordon school where Lori Hutchinson is teaching now.

warchild Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 8:08pm
post #80 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by warchild

I'm taking a wild guess but I think its an that both decorators used, with one using the design flat, the other adding a bit of "stuffing" for a different effect.

I read this blog every day. It was the first thing that came to my head, that if anyone had done this, it would be her.

But I went through all the entries, from beginning to end, and the puffed stuff, which is what they're talking about here, is nowhere there. But yes, I saw the beautiful pink & coral wedding cake. I keep looking at it every day. It's very unfortunate that I can't go take classes at the Bonnie Gordon school where Lori Hutchinson is teaching now.

Sheesh, I tried replying to you twice but both disapeared when I hit submit? Third time lucky they say..

I left out "impression mat" on my last post. Thats what I think it used for both cakes as the design is so consistant. One cake has the design almost flat, the other it's poofed up but its still the same design.

I thought the poofy cake might be two layers of fondant back to back with extra fondant to fill the poofs, but quickly realized that would make the fondant too heavy. I suppose the how to's will be a guessing game for now. It'll be nice to see how its actually done when the Jan/Feb magazine arrives. icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif

Yes, it would be awesome attending classes with Lori Hutchinson! What a treat that would be. She is amazing!

imagenthatnj Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 9:58pm
post #81 of 136

Warchild, if you find out when the Food Network show airs that has Lori and Marina Sousa in the same challenge, promise you'll shout it somehow. I check all the time and I'm afraid to miss it. Sorry for hijacking the thread. I guess we'll have to wait for the tutorial in the magazine.

tresye Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 10:07pm
post #82 of 136

i think that maybe each one is wrapped like a candy or a wrapped marshmallow, who knows LOL but i dont get the magazine only cause of money right now, so if any one of you do get it can u please write in here and tell me how it is accomplished. Thanks so much! I wanted to do it as a mother's day cake!
~tRe

warchild Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 10:29pm
post #83 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Warchild, if you find out when the Food Network show airs that has Lori and Marina Sousa in the same challenge, promise you'll shout it somehow. I check all the time and I'm afraid to miss it. Sorry for hijacking the thread. I guess we'll have to wait for the tutorial in the magazine.

Will do! thumbs_up.gif

Here's a little something you might enjoy. A short article about a decorators private lesson with Lori Hutchinson.

http://dascupcake.wordpress.com/2011/01/11/crafting-couture-cupcakes-with-a-true-cake-artist-my-lesson-with-lori-hutchinson/

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 12:01am
post #84 of 136

There was a cake at the OSSAS that had that technique done on it, and I don't think it could have been an impressions mat. I can't wait for the Jan/Feb issue!!! icon_biggrin.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 12:37am
post #85 of 136

now's that's one issue I will pay the individual magazine price for!!!!!!!

Mark-Mexicano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mark-Mexicano Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 12:59am
post #86 of 136

You could use cotton candy to make it poofy.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 1:23am
post #87 of 136

I love how this looks.. can't wait to see how it's done!!! Is the issue going to have a tutorial or is it just going to feature this cake...

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 1:38am
post #88 of 136

I'm thinking it is a large marshmallow cut in half behind the fondant to make it puffy. Thin rolled fondant, cut in strips wide enough to cover the marshmallow on the front and sides. Carefully pinched on each end and pressed slightly against the table to make the ends flat on the back. I don't know if that is how she did it or not, but I believe this would work. You would have a flat and solid surface on the back of each puff to stick to a cake.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:43am
post #89 of 136

When we get the Jan/Feb issue, it will be fun to see who came the closest to how she did it! thumbs_up.gif

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 2:44am
post #90 of 136

I hope to get it this week since I received an email saying that it was shipped... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%