Lets Change The Tune Of Today/tonight.

Lounge By Bluehue Updated 30 Aug 2013 , 1:01pm by redheadfairy2003

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:58pm
post #31 of 10090
Quote:
Quote:

I roll, cut shapes out, pop in fridge for 5 minutes then into the oven -

Thanks Bluehue for the great tip.. I have never done that before. I just tried it with my cookies I am making while running back and forth between the kitchen and the computer.. down the hall.. IT WORKED GREAT! They held thier shape perfectly... Ill be doing that from now on... thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:59pm
post #32 of 10090

well obivously I don't know how to use the Quote.. will work on that... icon_redface.gif

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:08pm
post #33 of 10090

I had Key Spouse training today (my husband is Air Force, and I am the KS aka go-to wife if anyone spouses need info) and just mentioned that I love to make cakes. I usually only make them for the guys in my hubbys squadron and the ppl at our church. Turns out someones daughter was having a birthday next Friday and she was searching for someone who could make a polka dot cake! EASY! So, we talked (I wanted a challenge) and I am going to make a fondant cheerleader for the top. No cakes this weekend, though.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:10pm
post #34 of 10090

Don't know if you were asking KKristy or me, but I'll put mine up.

Edited to add:

You can't really see it here, but you can right click on the little white block with the red X and Save Target As...

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:19pm
post #35 of 10090

Cold here... Have a crockpot of stew bubbling in the kitchen, and a pan of Sandies cooling on the counter.
Pecan Sandies - - My variation makes square flaky ones. Preheat oven to 325

1 cup softened butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. water
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 cup finely chopped pecans

Use small bowl and dough hooks. Cream butter and sugar. Add water and vanilla, mix well. Blend in flour and pecans.
I pat it into an ungreased (sided) cookie sheet. Bake for 2o minutes, cool slightly and turn pan over onto a cooling grid. Flip right side up and cut into squares.
-

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:21pm
post #36 of 10090

Grandmom Are you ganaching your tapered cake?

My tips for the carving - don't turn it upside down like some suggest, it is actually at lot easier to do it .. by eye.... when it is up the right way. It does help to elevate it on your workbench - and a turntable is a MUST HAVE - if it is a round cake be careful to only slice narrow pieces down - the biggest mistake I see people make is to begin carving away and end up with a pentagon looking top.

Remember to keep all your offcuts - they can be used to build up the height or repair your sides. Just smooth on a little ganache and pop your cake pieces on - more ganache and smoosh into place. NO wastage! and NO cake bits for your hips!!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:22pm
post #37 of 10090
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcake1960

well obivously I don't know how to use the Quote.. will work on that... icon_redface.gif

Yes, you did it right - then i just highlight it and click on the B for Bold...Glad that tip helped - stops them from spreading whilst cooking - works a treat doesn't it.

mim1106 - do you know what colours yet - for the cake and dots?

grandmom - yes, i can see it - all's good. thumbs_up.gif

JodieF - hope you are feeling much better very soon - icon_sad.gif

MrsNancyB - hmmmm, Mums Night Out - haven't been on one of them for years. Probably because our kids have all grown and flown the nest - icon_smile.gificon_wink.gif

Bluehue

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:22pm
post #38 of 10090

........I am so thrilled with this! Now if I can get this business going then hopefully I will be able to quit my job and instead of baking of a place I can actually open my own location within the year. Wish me luck please. evelyn........

Sure do! icon_smile.gif
Wow, that pumpkin muffin sounds really interesting - I mean, most anything w/cream cheese filling *has* to be good!

grandmom Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:26pm
post #39 of 10090

ApplegumKitchen, yes I plan to ganache. Thanks for the tips! I'll let them cool tonight then give it a try tomorrow.

Do you chill or freeze before you carve? Or just give it a go at room temp?

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:27pm
post #40 of 10090

7yyrt.....pardon my ignorance - but what is a Sandie ?
And when do you eat them - lunch or dinner - or just when the masses are hungry icon_smile.gif

Bluehue

mim1106 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:29pm
post #41 of 10090

Blue - Yes, she wanted a pink cake with black polka dots

mim1106 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:31pm
post #42 of 10090

Awww, I tried to open the pumpkin muffins, but it said I couldn't DL it. I saved it to my computer and tried to zoom, but it gets blurry. I LOOVE pumpkin and cream cheese!!

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:32pm
post #43 of 10090

Sandie cookies are...well.....sandy! They have a sandy texture! Here's my favorite sandie cookie in the world!

Brown Butter Brown Sugar Shorties

Makes about 32 cookies

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar (preferably dark)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
scant 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt (if using salted butter then omit)
Sugar in the Raw or sanding sugar for rolling (optional)

Cut butter into four or five pieces and cook butter in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until it has a nutty fragrance and flecks on bottom of pan turn a light brown, anywhere from 4 to 7 minutes. It helps to frequently scrape the solids off the bottom of the pan in the last couple minutes to ensure even browning. Transfer butter to a bowl and chill until just firm, about 1 hour. Beat together butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Beat in vanilla, then mix in flour and salt at low speed until just combined. Transfer dough to a sheet of wax paper or parchment and form into a 12-inch log, 1 1/2 inches in diameter. The dough is very soft and you should be dropping by spoonfuls then spread with knife to make log. Chill, wrapped in wax paper, until firm, about 1 hour.

Take dough out of refrigerator and let soften slightly. Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Unwrap dough and roll it in coarse sugar, if using, and press the granules in with the paper youd be using to wrap it. Slice dough into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, arranging 1 1/2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet or parchment paper. Bake until surface is dry and edges are slightly darker, 10 to 12 minutes. If cookies aren't baked long enough, they will not have a "sandy" texture. Let sit on sheet for a minute before transferring to a rack to cool. (Cookies will quite fragile at first, but will firm up as they cool.)

Dough keeps, chilled, up to 1 week, or in the freezer, up to one month. Cookies keep in an airtight container at room temperature 1 week.

grandmom Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:34pm
post #44 of 10090

mim1106, email me and I'll reply with the recipe.

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:43pm
post #45 of 10090

ok, my first batch was not soo good...I was trying to combine a muffin recipe with a pumpkin pie recipe ( it sounded good in my head, LOL)
That batch ended up like a pie with a crumble on top...tasted good, but you could handle it since it was so moist like a pie....second batch - I added some cake flour and baking powder and it was okay. Third batch - I filled the liners half way, sprinkled crumb topping, added more batter on top, then more crumb. That is the best so far, but I'm not satisfied yet..... (my kids are so full of pumpkin muffins right now that they don't want dinner, LOL )

Grandmom - I loved your story ! I will try your recipe next week...it sounds delish ( and way better than Starbucks ! LOL).

kakeladi - where in Indiana are you? I'm in Indpls. Open up that shop then I can come and eat at your place !!

Nancy, have fun on Mom's night out...Hope you do something fun

7yyrt - I haven't had Sandies in years - reminds me of my Grandmother who I miss terribly....I think I will try your recipe soon.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:45pm
post #46 of 10090

These are really good too!

Jodie

Toffee Almond Sandies

Cream 1 cup butter, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup powdered sugar. Add 1 cup oil, 2 eggs and 1 t. vanilla. Beat. Add to creamed mixture gradually combined mix of 4 1/2 cups flour, 1 t. baking soda, 1 t. cream of tartar, 1 t. salt. Stir in 2 cups chopped almonds and 1 pkg. English toffee bits. Shape in 1 inch balls and roll in sugar. Place on ungreased baking sheets and flatten with fork. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.

ApplegumKitchen Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:50pm
post #47 of 10090
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

ApplegumKitchen, yes I plan to ganache. Thanks for the tips! I'll let them cool tonight then give it a try tomorrow.

Do you chill or freeze before you carve? Or just give it a go at room temp?

Guess it depends on your cake? I always use Mudcake & never use it the day it is baked. Think cutting frozen cake would make it more difficult and easier to cut off more than you want to - Chilled? maybe good option.

If you centre the cake on a board the size that you want to taper to - it serves as a good guide that you have cut off ENOUGH!

Be careful not to cut into the top edge - you still want to maintain that nice shape icon_biggrin.gif

grandmom Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:54pm
post #48 of 10090

ApplegumKitchen, I'm going to try some Mudcake soon. I saw in Planet Cake that you guys down under use that and it sounds delicious! I love a dense cake.

Do you bake it in regular 2" or 3" pans, or do you extend your pan with a collar as instructed in Planet Cake?

Thanks again for all the tips. I'll carve and freeze tomorrow, won't be decorating until around November 5 or 6, but I'll post pics.

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:55pm
post #49 of 10090

I loooove to make key lime cake with lime curd. I'll see if I can drag out the recipe.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:56pm
post #50 of 10090

I made Jolly Rancher cut out yesterday and they are still sticky does anyone have a hint on how to fix that. TIA

mim1106 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:08pm
post #51 of 10090

Key Lime cake is my all time favorite!

ApplegumKitchen Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:17pm
post #52 of 10090
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

ApplegumKitchen, I'm going to try some Mudcake soon. I saw in Planet Cake that you guys down under use that and it sounds delicious! I love a dense cake.

Do you bake it in regular 2" or 3" pans, or do you extend your pan with a collar as instructed in Planet Cake?

Thanks again for all the tips. I'll carve and freeze tomorrow, won't be decorating until around November 5 or 6, but I'll post pics.

My cakes are baked in 3inch pans and by the time they are torted and ganached - end up 4 inches

Word of warning on the PC mudcake recipe - lots of probs with it - think from memory it was that the mix was not enough for the pan that they suggested - been lots of chat on PC forum

If you are in need of a good mudcake recipe - I can send mine - used it for nearly 20 years now

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:23pm
post #53 of 10090

Grandmom - i love your story! lol that is something i would do for sure! lol and i love that you titled it "The best in the whole wide world" haha that made me laugh out loud at my desk icon_biggrin.gif

Jodie I hope you feel better soon!! my neighbour just got over the h1n1

7yyrt - those sandies sound soo yummy i might have to try them ..although my lol im supposed to keep my random baking to a minimum at the moment ..my mom and dad are on a diet and they dont have much will power icon_biggrin.gif heehee

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:24pm
post #54 of 10090

My cake has been picked up. I hope it survives the trip to Austin. My kitchen is a wreck and instead of cleaning it, I'm about to go to Hobby Lobby and buy some ivory tulle and black flowers to make a veil for my daughter's corpse bride costume.

grandmom Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:28pm
post #55 of 10090

ApplegumKitchen, PLEASE send your mudcake recipe!! I will be forever grateful!!

grandmom Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:31pm
post #56 of 10090

SJ169,

A few years ago I finally got all my recipes committed to the PC. I have made them very detailed, step by step, so that when I kick the bucket, my kids might be able to replicate my dishes.

They know when they see one entitled "Mama's Whatever..." that it's an original. My DH's originals are entitled "Rusty's Whatever..." (he's their stepfather, and a darn good cook).

I just wanted Firstborn to know for certain that those muffins ARE THE BEST ONES HE'S EVER HAD OR EVER WILL!!

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:33pm
post #57 of 10090

oh Applegumkitchen, yes please, please, please ... I have really wanted to try this, but I heard that the Planet Cake recipe was not correct ( but I'm sure it tastes good !)

Granmom - I LOVE Alton !!

ApplegumKitchen Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:53pm
post #58 of 10090

OK - this is it - I'll go add it to the Recipe section as well so it doesn't get lost in this thread.

First off - this is an Australian recipe - so few things will need to be pointed out - we use DRY cup measures as well as LIQUID cups.
We are also using the metric system! c'mon guys.... you gotta catch up with the rest of the world LOL

Chocolate Mud Cake
Est Prep Time: 20mins
Est Cooking Time: 1 to 1-1/2hours
Oven Temp: 150¡äC
Serves: 20cm round ¨C Double quantity does 24cm round 2-1/2 inch deep
Ingredients:
250g unsalted butter
200g dark chocolate
1 tablespoon instant coffee
1-1/3 cups warm water
1-1/2 cups self raising flour
1 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Instructions:
1. Grease and line base and sides of cake pan with one thickness of baking paper, bringing paper 5cm above side of pan. (I use fibreglass bakesheets -reusable!)now)
2.Combine chopped butter, chopped chocolate, coffee, and water in a saucepan.
Stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Cool 15 minutes. Transfer mixture
to bowl of mixer.
3.Add caster sugar to mixture and beat well until dissolved. Add sifted flour and cocoa,
lightly beaten eggs and vanilla.
4.Pour mixture into prepared pan.
5.Bake at 150¡äC for 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Test with skewer. Cool cake in pan.

* Self raising flour is all purpose flour with the baking powder already added - ratio is 2 teaspoons per 1 cup flour
* Our cocoa is the DRY variety - use Dutch coca for better flavour

Hope I have addressed all cross-continent issues icon_biggrin.gif

Botton of page - gives conversins for dry cup measures
http://www.cathyskitchen.energyaustralia.com.au/articles/weights_and_measures_conversion

grandmom Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:59pm
post #59 of 10090

ApplegumKitchen, thank you so very much. You're right, I can't believe we are the only humans on the planet who don't do metric... but we don't. Thank goodness they have converters online!

Only question is: what is caster sugar??

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 10:00pm
post #60 of 10090

Pam - one more question - what is caster sugar?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%