Decorating By gerripje Updated 17 Nov 2016 , 8:01pm by naphel

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 2:47pm
post #31 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

i, too, like using toothpicks. and for roses, i always used dumdum lollypops. easier then making cones and you don't have to wait for them to dry.

bobwonderbuns-completely off topic but were you the one who had posted about friends of yours in Indiana that had a cake shop?? the only 2 cake supply stores in my area have closed down and i was hoping that this place sold supplies. i remember thinking that they were about 35-40 minutes from me. again, not even sure if it was you so if it wasn't, just ignore this post! icon_biggrin.gif

Probably. I have a couple friends who own the Chesterton Cake Boutique just outside of Valpo. I don't think they sell supplies though, just specialized cakes. Donna, the head decorator, is a member of CC as well.

It's sad to see so many of the cool cake places going under. I still cry myself to sleep over the demise of sweet celebrations. icon_cry.gif

i googled their number and called to see if they might (hopefully) sell supplies eventually and it said the number has been disconnected?? i wonder if they changed their name as there is another cake shop in Chesterton with a name similair?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 6:06pm
post #32 of 150
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i, too, like using toothpicks. and for roses, i always used dumdum lollypops. easier then making cones and you don't have to wait for them to dry.

bobwonderbuns-completely off topic but were you the one who had posted about friends of yours in Indiana that had a cake shop?? the only 2 cake supply stores in my area have closed down and i was hoping that this place sold supplies. i remember thinking that they were about 35-40 minutes from me. again, not even sure if it was you so if it wasn't, just ignore this post! icon_biggrin.gif

Probably. I have a couple friends who own the Chesterton Cake Boutique just outside of Valpo. I don't think they sell supplies though, just specialized cakes. Donna, the head decorator, is a member of CC as well.

It's sad to see so many of the cool cake places going under. I still cry myself to sleep over the demise of sweet celebrations. icon_cry.gif

i googled their number and called to see if they might (hopefully) sell supplies eventually and it said the number has been disconnected?? i wonder if they changed their name as there is another cake shop in Chesterton with a name similair?

Hmmm. Let me contact Donna and I'll get back to you.

bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 6:11pm
post #33 of 150

This is the info I have in my files. I'll contact Donna and see what's up.

Chesterton Cake Boutique
139 South Calumet
Chesterton, In. 46304
(219) 921-1414

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 6:34pm
post #34 of 150

cakepro....this "fishtail" that you mention would be so interesting to see as I too am busy making roses for a wedding this coming weekend. I am also putting all my roses onto toothpicks, thought this would be easier to have the roses cascading at an angle down a 3tier wedding cake. So, I will be waiting with baited breath to see what you are talking about.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 6:43pm
post #35 of 150

I do my roses on plastic drink stirs, they're longer than toothpicks and you can cut them to the length that you want to keep them on the cake securely. (Someone else mentioned this in a post earlier in this thread, but I wanted to mention it again.)

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 7:26pm
post #36 of 150

Sticking the wires into coctail straws is a great idea! I just made my first gum paste roses on wires and have been going nuts trying to figure out the best way to attach them. Thanks!

Question: If you do roses on toothpicks or drink straws, how do you hang them upside down at the end?

bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 7:28pm
post #37 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Question: If you do roses on toothpicks or drink straws, how do you hang them upside down at the end?

You don't, you put them into flower formers (the little cone shaped ones with holes in the bottom for the picks or wires to go through) and prop up the petals with tissue or plastic wrap.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 7:32pm
post #38 of 150

I don't use flower formers.

I hang mine upside down by sticking them in the bottom of a piece of styrofoam that is sitting on a coffee can or something. No propping of petals necessary.

I will make the fishtail and take pics in a while. I had my niece over unexpectedly yesterday and couldn't do the fishtail pictorial. icon_smile.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 7:52pm
post #39 of 150

Thanks Bobwonderbuns (there's a sentence you never imagine you'll say) icon_lol.gif and Cakepro!

That's what I love about this site; so many smart people willing to share their experience with others. And so many good ideas to try to see what works best for me. Thanks.

bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 8:35pm
post #40 of 150

ha ha ha! It seems me and Cakepro do the rose thing differently. icon_lol.gif Oh well, in light of that I suggest trying it both ways and doing whatever works best for you! icon_biggrin.gif

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:52am
post #41 of 150
Quote:

This is the info I have in my files. I'll contact Donna and see what's up.

Chesterton Cake Boutique
139 South Calumet
Chesterton, In. 46304
(219) 921-1414

thanks, that's the number i called.

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:26am
post #42 of 150

I read the whole thread and i appologize if this has been mentioned and i missed it... but to the OP:

Start at the bottom and work your way up. You can "build" the flowers up the cake and then you dont get drooping flowers that have no support underneath.

And i love the idea of making them right on the toothpick... i have never thought of that!

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:01am
post #43 of 150

These tips all make sense now, I feel so dumb! I guess that was the very first cake that I put gum paste flowers on and it was 3 am also!! I always seem to get called in to work at the hospital whenever I have a cake that I want really nice!!

Cakepro Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:14am
post #44 of 150

Okay....the fishtail mini-tutorial. icon_smile.gif

First, you make a rose cone just as you would for any other rose.

Cakepro Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:14am
post #45 of 150

Then, you pinch the top on the left side and the right side, so you have two side-by-side flattened areas.

Cakepro Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:15am
post #46 of 150

Then, you pinch each side out a little bit more so that the top edge is pretty thin.

Cakepro Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:16am
post #47 of 150

Here's a side view for you. icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:17am
post #48 of 150

Wet one side with some gum glue and curl it toward the center. It doesn't matter which side...I just happen to do the one on my left first.

Cakepro Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:18am
post #49 of 150

Wet the other side with some gum glue and curl it toward the center, in front of the other.

Cakepro Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:20am
post #50 of 150

Upclose view. It doesn't have to be pretty where the bottom of the fishtails glue onto the base, because that's going to be covered.

Cakepro Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:25am
post #51 of 150

Well, I was going to stop there, but didn't want you to think that it would look ugly, so I finished the rose.

Using a 5-petal cutter (in this case, I used the JEM Easy Rose Cutter), I layered on 3 not-too-tightly-wound petals. I just pull off the 2 petals I don't need and save them for the last row (you'll see what I mean).

Cakepro Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:27am
post #52 of 150

Now I put on six more petals (one of the 5-petal cutouts plus one leftover petal from the previous step). I used a toothpick to roll back the edges to give the 3 outer petals some realism. For this quickie tutorial, I did not vein any of the petals, but normally I would, using the First Impressions Molds Rose Floramat. It works well with the medium-sized JEM rose cutters and FMM rose cutters.

Cakepro Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:33am
post #53 of 150

Now I have applied 5 more petals and stuck the rose upside-down in the styrofoam to dry. While it's drying for a few minutes, I took one more 5-petal cutout, cut each petal out, thinned them, rolled the edged back with toothpicks, and set them in plastic spoons to set up a bit. This is how I do my outer-most row of petals.

Incidentally, I used the hot-wire technique to put a wire in my rose cone in order to be able to show you all of the steps of the rose to completion. I never would have been able to handle the rose without a wire in it, so I took a 16g piece of floral wire, bent one end into a shepherd's crook, and heated it up in the flame from my stove until it was red hot. Then I stuck it in the base of the rose cone. The sugar in the gumpaste instantly caramelizes around the wire, and voila! You can use your fresh, soft rose cone instantly without waiting for it to dry! icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:34am
post #54 of 150

Okay, the rose hung upside-down for about 5 minutes, which was long enough for the petals to set nicely for their photo.

Cakepro Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:34am
post #55 of 150

And now I have applied those 5 last petals that were waiting patiently in their plastic spoons. It had to hang upside-down for several minutes to set up before its picture was taken.

Cakepro Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:38am
post #56 of 150

And now our completed rose will hang out with some I already did, waiting for a calyx and petal dust to help give it even more realism and depth with some beautiful color. Some dust their flowers with petal dusts while the paste is not dry, but I prefer to do mine when they are fully dry. Maybe tomorrow...I'm going to bed now. icon_smile.gif

I hope this has helped someone with a fun new little shortcut.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:43am
post #57 of 150

I dont like sprays..they are too heavy.. I prefer to put each flower by itself..

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1299243

Even the big flowers are done by themselves.. And this cake is buttercream. I just put a little
buttercream behind the flower so it holds/
Edna icon_smile.gif

gerripje Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:55am
post #58 of 150

That's so awesome!! Thank you for the tutorial, your roses are beautiful!

gerripje Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:59am
post #59 of 150

That would work good for me, cause I sometimes can't get the first two petals tight enough and you can see the tip of the cone in the middle.

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:14am
post #60 of 150

Cakepro, I have a quick question. For the last set of petals you had seperated each of them, and in the first row you removed 2 petals. So, the 3 petal first row and the 5 etals on the second row the petals remained connected, right?

Hope that makes since, it's 1:20 AM.

Thanks a bunch!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%