Bettercreme Fun!

Baking By Melvira Updated 28 Oct 2016 , 1:47am by kakebrown

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 10:13pm
post #1081 of 1317

Has anyone done stacked 2 or 3 tier cakes, iced with PP or bettercream before? If so, what do you do so that when the cakes are seperated to cut, they are not a big mess?
I'm thinking wax paper. Any suggestions??? Would like to hear from your experience!
Thanks

Sugar_Bunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Bunny Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:37am
post #1082 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigachu

Thanks Melvira for this wonderful post!! thumbs_up.gif Does anyone know where I can find the Bettercreme in liquid form in (Woodbridge/Alexandria) VA? I am a hobbyist at this point. I want to learn as much as I can and this thread has really helped me a lot icon_lol.gif . The Sam's Club has the pre-whipped Bettercreme in a 15# tub for $19.00 but I would like to get the liquid. I remember reading somewhere that some members found it at their local supermarket-I hope to find it somewhere locally. I think I am getting Bettercreme fever and I have never used it before!! icon_cool.gif

I'm in the same area as you....I haven't seen Bettercreme anywhere. However I have purchased Whip'n Ice in the liquid form from a place at Landover MD (it was about 10 minutes drive from DC). I've heard they are very similar products.

This is the company's website that sells it; http://www.instantwhip.com/scripts/distributor_product_list.asp?company=03&prod_cat=%46%72%6F%73%74%69%6E%67%20%26%20%49%63%69%6E%67
The vanilla flavour was about $7.00 or $8.00 (I think) for a gallon carton. If you are interested, you'll need to call and make your order before picking it up.

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:36pm
post #1083 of 1317

Sugar Bunny
I Have a question about Whip n Ice. Can you freeze unused product? I am asking because the distributor where I purchase Bettercreme from was out of vanilla, and they gave me Instant Whip B/C topping to try. It was absolutely delicious, no chemical taste at all, but the only drawback was that you could not freeze the unused product. That was alright for the first time I used it because I used the entire gallon. I purchased another gallon, used some of it, refrigerated it, and it went bad in a week. Tasted sour, so I tossed about half a gallon out. I was told that you couldn't freeze the one I got because it changes the product. They told me that it crystallizes. Would just like to know if you can freeze the one you get, and taste comparison to Bettercreme. Thanks
Kathy

JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 1:53am
post #1084 of 1317

I'm sorry to admit this, but I haven't read all 73 pages yet. I just purchased a pound of the pre-whipped Bettercreme from my grocery store bakery. I was wondering a few things. I hope someone will help me out as I have a recipe I really want to try for a little boy's birthday next week. Thanks in advance and sorry if it has already been discussed.

1. Since I have the pre-whipped I asked and they (bakery dept.) said the box they were getting it from said to use by June 2011. Since it's already whipped, how long should I keep it? Is that an okay date to go buy?

2. Can I freeze any unused portion of the pre-whipped bettercreme?

3. Most importantly, I found a recipe from JessDesserts and it says to use 2 cups Bettercreme, then whip it.

First of all, since mine is already whipped, about how many cups should I use? In other words, what is the yield on 2 cups UNWHIPPED after it is whipped?

Second, the recipe also says to whip it with a package of instant pudding. Since it is already whipped, can I just mix the two together? What about overwhipping?

Third, how will I know it's overwhipped? What will be different?

Thanks so much! I know it is a lot of questions, and again, I'm sorry if they have already been discussed. I do plan on reading the whole post, but I just don't have the time to read it all before I need the recipe. Thanks again!

Sugar_Bunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Bunny Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 2:02am
post #1085 of 1317

Hi Kathy,
You can't refreeze the Whip'n Ice liquid once it has defrosted because it will separate. However, you can whip it and then refreeze the whipped product. I took our cooler filled with ice when I purchased it so it wouldn't melt in the car on the way home. I don't use a lot so I always store it in the freezer. When I want to use some I take the carton out of the freezer and use an ice cream scoop or spoon to scoop out however much I need. Then I put the carton straight back into the freezer before it has a chance to melt.

I haven't tried Bettercreme so I can't tell you how they compare in taste, sorry.

iluvpeeks Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 5:32am
post #1086 of 1317

Thanks Sugar_Bunny. I think I'll have to give it a try.

Justgettinstarted
If you look at the beginning of this thread, Melvira list everything you can do with pre-whipped and liquid bettercreme. Also, look in the recipes forum. There's a sticky with all the recipes including bettercreme. I use all kinds of things in bettercreme. I can't get the pre-whipped, but with the liquid, I can add instant pudding, extract, puree, Torani Syrups. I'm pretty sure you can with the pre-whipped as well. This past weekend I made banana creme mousse using banana creme pudding to fill banana chocolate cupcakes, and also top with strawberry and banana swirl. Delicious! I also used pistachio instant pudding. Also really good and different. HTH
Kathy

JustGettinStarted Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 12:00pm
post #1087 of 1317

Thanks Kathy! I'm making my way through it slowly as I have a very active 9 month old who doesn't really sleep...ever icon_smile.gif

iluvpeeks Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 5:01pm
post #1088 of 1317

I remember those days well! A non sleeper huh. I had one of those. It makes getting things done very difficult.

JustGettinStarted Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 12:03pm
post #1089 of 1317

Like I said, it may have already been answered, but I'm only on page 32 so, does anyone know how much 2 cups of UNwhipped makes once whipped?

iluvpeeks Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 4:21pm
post #1090 of 1317

JustGettinStarted I would say that I get about 4-5 cups after whipping 2 cups of unwhipped. I know for sure that I can fill & ice 24 cupcakes with some left over. HTH

JustGettinStarted Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 4:32pm
post #1091 of 1317

Thanks so much! I have a recipe that calls for 2 cups of the unwhipped and all I can buy is the whipped so I didn't know how much to use. Thanks so much!

Celeste_CreativeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Celeste_CreativeCakes Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 8:08pm
post #1092 of 1317

Hi Melvira, I did find a store where I can buy Rich's Better cream, But, I really want to learn how to make it from scratch. "So if and or when they might not have it"
I woud like to have a backup plan. Do you know where I can find a recipe for it.
Thank you, for you help.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 8:50pm
post #1093 of 1317

Hi Melvira, this wonderful thread is still going, wohooo!!!

Quick question...I know I can add coffee to bettercream, but I wonder about the quantity and should I add powder or liquid coffee?? will it work/taste the same?
I want to make vanilla cupcakes with, sort of, a latte flavor bettercream...sounds yummy, huh?

Ok thank you wonderful teacher Melvira icon_smile.gif

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 8:35pm
post #1094 of 1317

I made up some chocolate Bettercream (using regular bettercream w/ chocolate pudding added) how long will this keep in the fridge after it's been whipped? I have some extra left over that I want to use on another cake in a week or two - will it still be good?

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 11:21pm
post #1095 of 1317

I went through so many of the pages but didn't find anything about coloring it. I wasn't sure if it would react to gel color they way Swiss Meringue BC does. Would candy colors work better?

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 1:49am
post #1096 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by galliesway

I went through so many of the pages but didn't find anything about coloring it. I wasn't sure if it would react to gel color they way Swiss Meringue BC does. Would candy colors work better?

I think I remember reading that you can color it put it would be a lighter shade... you can't get really vibrant colors with it. I guess the colors would be almost like pastel in shade.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong! icon_smile.gif

JillK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillK Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 3:15pm
post #1097 of 1317

My first post in a long, long time ... life gets so busy! *sigh*

Anyway, I'm going to be making mudslide Bettercreme for a cake filling, and am waffling on what would be better ... mudslide coffee creamer? Mudslide mixer? I'm leaning toward the latter. I can't use actual Kahlua in it, unfortunately, because there will be kids there. icon_rolleyes.gif

Any advice?

JillK Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 3:43pm
post #1098 of 1317

Oh, and, how long ahead of time should I put the frozen gallon o' Bettercreme in the fridge to thaw? Any advice appreciated!

I just hope it's enough for this freakin' big cake. icon_rolleyes.gif

Formynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 3:49pm
post #1099 of 1317

I have heard alot about bettercreme, but there are sooo many pages on this topic and I am still new to this forum stuff I cant find a recipe - where can I find it? Thanks thumbs_up.gif

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 4:06pm
post #1100 of 1317

what recipe are you looking for?

if you go to the recipe forum, under that there is a place to choose search and it will just search recipes.

also I think you can go to most saved and often find what you are looking for.

or you can do an advanced search and the forum you are interested in.

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 4:49pm
post #1101 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigachu

Thanks Melvira for this wonderful post!! thumbs_up.gif Does anyone know where I can find the Bettercreme in liquid form in (Woodbridge/Alexandria) VA? I am a hobbyist at this point. I want to learn as much as I can and this thread has really helped me a lot icon_lol.gif . The Sam's Club has the pre-whipped Bettercreme in a 15# tub for $19.00 but I would like to get the liquid. I remember reading somewhere that some members found it at their local supermarket-I hope to find it somewhere locally. I think I am getting Bettercreme fever and I have never used it before!! icon_cool.gif

I'm in the same area as you....I haven't seen Bettercreme anywhere. However I have purchased Whip'n Ice in the liquid form from a place at Landover MD (it was about 10 minutes drive from DC). I've heard they are very similar products.

This is the company's website that sells it; http://www.instantwhip.com/scripts/distributor_product_list.asp?company=03&prod_cat=%46%72%6F%73%74%69%6E%67%20%26%20%49%63%69%6E%67
The vanilla flavour was about $7.00 or $8.00 (I think) for a gallon carton. If you are interested, you'll need to call and make your order before picking it up.

Thank you so much Sugar_Bunny!! I would have replied sooner but for some reason, I am not getting my alerts for this thread anymore!! icon_confused.gif I will have to check this place out. icon_biggrin.gif

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 5:32pm
post #1102 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formynana

I have heard alot about bettercreme, but there are sooo many pages on this topic and I am still new to this forum stuff I cant find a recipe - where can I find it? Thanks thumbs_up.gif

There isn't a recipe. It's a store-bought product. Melvira explains it really well on page 1 of this topic:

"Rich's Bettercreme (note the spelling... it makes a big difference in getting the right product!) is a liquid that you can buy that whips similar to heavy whipping cream. But, it is a stable icing used for cakes and cupcakes. In other words, it won't break down like whipping cream does. You can usually find it in cake stores, sometimes in restaurant supply stores, some locations even carry it at Sam's club, but not all locations have it. You can get it in a pre-whipped variety, but it's not as good, although it works if you can't get the liquid. The pre-whipped seems to be easier to get your hands on in some areas.

For more information, go to www.richs.com and find Bettercreme under their products guide!"

She also includes lots of great ideas for things to mix with it in the OP.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 12:57pm
post #1103 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formynana

There's no recipe for Bettercreme. You buy it in either liquid form or already whipped. Some people have a hard time finding it though. Not all stores carry it.

JillK Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 3:35pm
post #1104 of 1317

Ack. I didn't realize that mudslide mixer without alcohol apparently doesn't exist. And I can't find mudslide creamer.

Anyone have another method for making mudslide Bettercreme?

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 4:00pm
post #1105 of 1317

Just google virgin mudslide and use some of the major ingredients. Torani syrups have Kahlua and hazelnut flavors and add a little hersheys syrup.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 4:30pm
post #1106 of 1317

I can buy virgin mudslide mix at my grocery store where they can't sell liquor. It's made by TGI Fridays. At my liquor store they only sell the one with alcohol.

JillK Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 4:11pm
post #1107 of 1317

Well, I successfully made mudslide filling ... finally found the creamer and added a good bit of chocolate syrup. Delicious. icon_smile.gif

I would up buying A LOT more Bettercreme than I needed for the cake, though! No way I can use it in a week.

Once it's thawed and opened, can I individually re-freeze 2-cup portions? (Sorry ... I seem to remember this being discussed before, but I really can't reread everything now. icon_smile.gif)

iluvpeeks Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 7:31pm
post #1108 of 1317

Yes, you can break it up into 2 cup containers. I do it all the time. Bettercreme does not freeze solid.

JillK Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 12:17am
post #1109 of 1317

Thank you so much! I'm going to be in Bettercreme for a loooooon time ... icon_biggrin.gif

Gonna start re-reading the thread. icon_wink.gif

iluvpeeks Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 5:30am
post #1110 of 1317

You're welcome Jill. IMO this is the best stuff since sliced bread. So many uses and possibilities. I especially love making a mousse type filling and topping for cupcakes with it. Just add some milk and a package of any flavor instant pudding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%