Bettercreme Fun!

Baking By Melvira Updated 28 Oct 2016 , 1:47am by kakebrown

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:33pm
post #1021 of 1317

Okay Mel
I called them back, and there are 4 gallon containers in a case, and if you buy 1 gallon its 15.30. Okay, now hold onto your hat!!! He has vanilla and chocolate!

If I can make it there today, I'll let you know what happens, otherwise I'm definitely going tomorrow.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:59pm
post #1022 of 1317

I don't like you any more. icon_cry.gif

But I am very happy for you!! And jealous. And I kinda hope you stub your toe while picking up your Bettercreme. Hehehe. Just kidding!!!

iluvpeeks Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 7:09pm
post #1023 of 1317

Okay Mel
NOT NICE! Hope that I stub the toe that I can feel!!(I have no feeling in my left leg & foot)
You are right about Rich's. You would think that they would want people to purchase their product. When I go there, I am going to ask the owner if he ships. Maybe that can be your connection. I'll let you know. Or do what I did. I just started called Bakery Supply warehouses. You never know!
Kathy

Melvira Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 7:14pm
post #1024 of 1317

Aw kathy, I'm sorry... I was so mean, and here you're being all nice back! icon_twisted.gif I smell a sucker!! Just kidding! icon_lol.gif

But seriously, there is NOTHING in this state that I can find. No restaurant supply stores other than the one I know about. No bakery supply stores, no cake decorating supply stores. There is NOTHING. If it weren't for the internet I'd be making cakes covered in Crisco and generic jimmies from WalMart. Seriously.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 7:47pm
post #1025 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

You can also make your own soda syrups. Take your choice of soda. Let it sit out & go flat, then pour into a saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until it begins to thicken. Let it cool & pour into a glass jar & place in the refrigerator. It will thicken as it cools.

Have fun with your flavors ladies!

I know this was posted long time ago, but I just read it!! making syrup out of sodaaaaa?? WOW!!!!! now I won't have to throw away flat soda anymore thumbs_up.gif

Does anyone knows how long can you store the syrup in the fridge??

Thank you Dandelaion56602 for the awesome info!!! thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 8:03pm
post #1026 of 1317

It should last for quite a while. I don't know exactly how long unfortunately.

huskerfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huskerfan Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 8:04pm
post #1027 of 1317

Melvira have you tried Hawkeye Food Services from Coralville Iowa? My husband works for them and I get my bettercreme from him. Any questions let me know.

Melvira Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 8:50pm
post #1028 of 1317

I've never been able to get in touch with anyone there! Would you send me a phone number and contact name or something like that. I would really be appreciative. That is like the ONLY company you can find under foodservice. I used to work in Coralville in 2000, so I'd happily go that far to get it.

iluvpeeks Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:31pm
post #1029 of 1317

I just got back from purchasing the Bettercreme. What nice people. I told him about your situation, and asked where you live. I thought Iowa? Is that right? Anyway, he said he would ship it but the shipping would probably be alot. I don't know how much of this stuff you have room for, but being that you are considered a business, it may be worth your while to contact him. He gave me a brochure, and they even sell hi-ratio shortening. Haven't looked through the brochure completely, but it looks as though anything you need for ingredients or cake decorating he has. Its a huge warehouse. Let me know if I can now be any help to you. EVEN THOUGH YOU WISHED ME A STUBBED TOE! lol You are always so kind to everyone (except me icon_cry.gif ) with ideas and recipes, and you always put a smile on my face. Did you ever do standup?
Kathy

Melvira Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:05pm
post #1030 of 1317

Yah, the shipping on Bettercreme would be insane because it has to be kept frozen. It would end up costing just as much if not more. That's why I'm trying to find a local distributor. I'm also trying to find that for Dawn Foods, and they are amazingly unhelpful too. I've requested to be contacted about ten times and never have been. Apparently I don't do enough volume to even be a blip on their radar. Nice.

Since I was a kid people have told me I should do stand up. I just enjoy making people laugh. icon_lol.gif Of course, I also enjoy singing in the shower, but that doesn't make me a pop star. icon_rolleyes.gif

iluvpeeks Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:23pm
post #1031 of 1317

I told the gentleman at the warehouse how the women who work at Rich's aren't very helpful, and he wasn't surprised. I just don't understand how a big company like that don't know which supermarkets (etc.) purchase their products. It would make it alot easier to track down. The gentleman at the warehouse couldn't believe that I couldn't find bettecreme anywhere. I think they deliver to bakeries. Not necessarily to grocery stores. At least I know where to get it now. Also, a quick question or two? I now have 2 gallons of this stuff defrosting. One chocolate, one vanilla. Should I put it into separate containers? Or just refreeze? I really wanted to try bettercreme, because it not only sounds delish, but I am starting to plan what cakes and cupcakes for my newest grandsons christening. It is in August. How stable is this icing in heat?

Melvira Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:40pm
post #1032 of 1317

I would definitely break it down into smaller containers just for ease of storage. It's pretty good in moderate heat. I mean, nothing is great in 110 degrees direct sunshine, of course. Congrats on the new grandson though, how fun!

iluvpeeks Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:48pm
post #1033 of 1317

WHOA!!!! I just whipped up a little of the chocolate to give it a taste, and
wow is it good! Mel, just to give me an idea, how many cups of liquid do you use per dozen cupcakes? Filling and frosting.
Kathy

Melvira Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:54pm
post #1034 of 1317

I would say approximately a full cup of liquid per dozen cupcakes to fill and ice, depending on what (how much) you're adding to it.

huskerfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huskerfan Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:59pm
post #1035 of 1317

Melvira I just emailed you the info for Hawkeye Food Service. Let me know if that works for you.......

iluvpeeks Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:00am
post #1036 of 1317

Thanks Melvira. So I guess you get quite a bit out of a gallon. I think I might just have to make a cake or cupcakes tonight. I've been wanting to try the Orange Dreamsicle cake. That would probably be really good with the vanilla. Have you tried that recipe in cupcake form?

Rosey1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosey1120 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:02am
post #1037 of 1317

Thank you for the info, iluvpeeks. It seems to be less expensive to buy it by the gallon than by the case? Msulli10 had sent me a message a while ago that there is a store called the Chocolate Duck on Main Street (right off Route 109) in Farmingdale. They have the high ratio shortening, all different sizes of boxes and cupcake containers, pans, etc. They also have lots and lots of chocolate molds if you're into that also. I have a change of plan for tomorrow and won't get to DiCarlos until Friday. Hopefully will have another source for Long Islanders!

iluvpeeks Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:20am
post #1038 of 1317

I live in Nassau County, so Lindenhurst is a hike, but not as far as No. Ocean Avenue. I know North Ocean Avenue because my sister lives in Middle Island, and my parents lived in Rocky Point for a few years. I have been to the Chocolate Duck. Very nice store, but pretty overpriced. I bought the hi-ratio shortening there, and it wasn't too bad. Nice store though. Lots to look at. I don't think that they would have the Bettercreme. You know, you mentioned about the case being more expensive than buying the gallons single. I don't know, maybe the girl on the phone gave me the wrong price for the case? I didn't ask for the price when I went there, I was only looking for single gallons. According to Melvira, it seems as though you get quite alot out of one cup. Not Bad!
Kathy

Melvira Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:05am
post #1039 of 1317

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! *sing song happiness* icon_lol.gif

breyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breyes Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:36am
post #1040 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosey1120

Hi, breyes! I'm also from Long Island and have been using the Rich's Whipped Topping as a mousse filling. The more you whip it the thicker it gets and you can add just about anything to it, as well. I've added pudding, Polaner All Fruit.

Thanks Rosey..I have 2 quarts in my freezer and was thinking that I would make a nice mousse and layer it between some chocolate cake... can't go wrong with that. Or I was going to fill some cupcakes with it....but the only downside is that I probably need to keep them in the fridge and I don't have that much room. I'm gonna play around with it.

Iluvpeeks...Thanks so much for finding it here on LI!!! I can't wait to get my hands on it.
See Mel...Us Long Islanders are finally able to experience the Bettercreme maddness!! icon_biggrin.gif

iluvpeeks Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:03am
post #1041 of 1317

Hi
It seems like the more you whip this bettercreme, the thicker it gets too!
(that sounds a little obscene. OH NO I think I caught MELVITIS!!! icon_surprised.gif
Hmm maybe thats not a bad thing.
Kathy

Melvira Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:14am
post #1042 of 1317

Oh yah, you've got a scorching case of Melvitis!! The only cure is to mail me all your Bettercreme, then pray! icon_lol.gif

iluvpeeks Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:31pm
post #1043 of 1317

Melvira Sorry to keep bothering you. Have you made Orange Dreamsicle (I think thats what they're called) cupcakes? I've been wanting to try that recipe (Macsmoms) and now filling them with vanilla bettercreme.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:30pm
post #1044 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

I also enjoy singing in the shower, but that doesn't make me a pop star. icon_rolleyes.gif

Look dear, you already are a star in my world thumbs_up.gif and thank youuuuu for answering my question about the soda-syrup icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 7:07pm
post #1045 of 1317

Aw Rosie, hugs to you!! thumbs_up.gif

I do make orange dreamsicle cupcakes, but not from a recipe here. There are those new ice cream toppings out, the A&W rootbeer, Dr. Pepper. and ORANGE CRUSH!! I make either vanilla or vanilla-orange cupcakes depending on how much orange I want. Then I add the orange syrup to the Bettercreme. Oh... it's so good! I do the same with the rootbeer with vanilla cupcakes then it's a root beer float. People have gone CRAZY for those! I'm so hungry right now, i've really got to stop this! Hehehe!

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:23am
post #1046 of 1317

I don't remember reading the answer to this, but I'm a little dizzy after reading 70 pages!!
I need a fresh strawberries and cream filling for cupcakes this weekend. Would the Rich's whipped topping work better or the Bettercreme? I don't want the s-berries to "water out", but want the light texture of cream. Has anyone tried fresh cut fruit with either of these?

Also, if 1 liquid cup of Bettercreme is beaten, how many cups does it measure after it's made? Does it double?

Buying this for the first time tomorrow, and can't wait to try it!!
icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:32am
post #1047 of 1317

Unfortunately I can't give an actual measurement of how much it is after it's beaten, but I'd say double is close. I do not use fresh fruit in it simply because I don't like the workability of it. And I'm not a big fan of the flavor/texture. For example, I don't personally care for sliced strawberries in a cake like I know a lot of people do. (And yet, I adore strawberry shortcake... go figure?) I figure no matter what you're doing, if it's going to be on a cake (other than whipped cream on, for example, strawberry shortcake) you're going to be better off to use the Bettercreme because that is exactly what it's made for. The whipped topping is not as versatile for that use, and I don't know at what point it will begin to break down as the berries macerate.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:38am
post #1048 of 1317

Thanks so much for your quick reply!! I thought the Bettercreme would be safer with the berries, which is just a cupcake filling so I don't have to worry about it leeching into a layered cake. The girl at my local cake supply shop said 1/2 qt would do 1 dozen cupcakes -I knew that didn't sound right! I read here that 1 cup is about right for 1 dozen cupcakes. You're the best!! You must be my long lost twin -we have the same birthday! I won't tell the year though icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:40am
post #1049 of 1317

I wish it was easier to get Bettercreme here than the large food supply companies...Costco and places do not carry it here for the public to buy!!Boo....

Melvira Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:45am
post #1050 of 1317

BIG thumbs down!! thumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%