Dennysse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dennysse Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:04am
post #1 of 205

OMG!!! icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif Is this for real? icon_lol.gif

204 replies
Mickig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickig Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:09am
post #2 of 205

Well, it's definitely different. I wonder how long he or she plans to do the cakes for free. If those cakes really were done by that person, it doesn't look like they need much "practice".

Mickig

eor112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eor112 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:09am
post #3 of 205

I don't get it.. How would one have time to so this and not make any money?? icon_confused.gif

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:12am
post #4 of 205

Maybe...but she is charging for "supplies" and "extras." It probably is cheap by Las Vegas standards and normal by everyone else's standards.

lvablkmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvablkmn Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:13am
post #5 of 205

It sounds REALLY crazy!!!!! But,they say they charge for supplies....so you never know - that part could be the scam part. You never know how much they might charge for their"supplies"!!!!!!

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:13am
post #6 of 205

Maybe she isn't legal and is trying to get around it by not making a profit to build up her portfolio?? Or she could just have tons of extra time on her hands and really really loves weddings.

Who knows what other "extras" she may charge when the brides actually talk to her... but the flavours and fillings seem a little limited for me.

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:24am
post #7 of 205

Okay, I don't know why...but this annoys me! She is talented and could be making good money-- I want to shake her!

But maybe you're right, crislen about not being legal. There's got to be some logical explanation.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:26am
post #8 of 205

I think she wants to do nice things for people. I think she enjoys meeting all of the people who order from her and I am sure they are really nice to her.

I think also this could eventually make her name famous in Vegas.

........also, it could be possible she is in with one of the marriage places and they have to get married there for her to do the cake ....and maybe they pay her to do the cakes.

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:28am
post #9 of 205

It seems she is not legal and trying to build her portfolio. Looking at close ups, there is leaning, bulging and icing not smooth. Guess you get what you pay for.

I'd be skeptical.

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:39am
post #10 of 205

How did you find this website?

Debbie

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:42am
post #11 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnSnow

It seems she is not legal and trying to build her portfolio. Looking at close ups, there is leaning, bulging and icing not smooth. Guess you get what you pay for.

I'd be skeptical.

Im not trying to be mean, but do you honestly think that was a nice thing to say? I personally think she does very nice work. How do we know shes not a part of this community? Some things are better left unsaid...It really rathers my feather, when someone has something negative to say about someone elses web site....Thats exactly why I have not given out my web site ( only to a few). With that being said I hope I did not offend anyone.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:51am
post #12 of 205

i think she does a nice work,,but basically i do think she is trying to build a clientelle and a portafollio..when she gets famous enough all she need to do is start charging..stupid way of doing it but might work for her!

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 2:22am
post #13 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by trent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnSnow

I'd be skeptical.

Im not trying to be mean, but do you honestly think that was a nice thing to say? I personally think she does very nice work. How do we know shes not a part of this community? Some things are better left unsaid...It really rathers my feather, when someone has something negative to say about someone elses web site....Thats exactly why I have not given out my web site ( only to a few). With that being said I hope I did not offend anyone.

I agree with Trent. I think her cakes are very nice. Why must we be negative? Maybe she is a very nice person who enjoys cake decorating, maybe she doesn't need the money. I am sure the brides who go to Las vegas for a quick inexpensive wedding appreciate her work.

Luckylurker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luckylurker Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:59am
post #14 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEBBIE157

How did you find this website?

Debbie

I was looking at stuff on craigslist for my area (which is Salem, OR), and it was posted there. It basically said if you're going to be in Las Vegas, have me make your wedding cake free.

I think her cakes are pretty good, there are a few on there that are really cute and fairly unique IMO. I just thought the "free" part is insane, only because doing wedding cakes is a ton of work, and to do it for free (even for just cost) gets old fast. I wonder why anyone would do this for more than 2 or 3 cakes. I don't know the lady, and didn't email her at all, just found the listing and thought it was odd. icon_smile.gif

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 7:22am
post #15 of 205

Come on people, don't get your panties in a twist. Why must a frank and honest appraisal be construed as negative? Yes, her cakes are quite nice. No, they do not look professional. She'd flunk pastry school with consistency issues like those. I'm not being mean by saying that--it's just a fact. That doesn't mean that her cakes and her service aren't extremely nice. But if I were paying for a wedding cake, I'd expect more. MnSnow had it right--you get what you pay for.

I, too, would guess that she's practicing and building her portfolio. Cool. The best way to get really good is to practice practice practice. If she does a ton of cakes this way, I expect she will get extremely good. Right now she is an amateur with promise.

I appreciate honest feedback more than coddling, myself. So that's what I give.

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 7:23am
post #16 of 205

I do a lot of things in my life for free or for "cost" because I remember what it was like to be a struggling person--in college, just out of school, and at various other points. I still wanted to do or have nice things but could not afford them. I often couldn't afford to go to even a cheap restaurant for dinner.
Now that I can afford more expensive things and I can afford to do things and not make money on them, I love to do them. I feel like I'm giving back and helping people who might never otherwise be able to afford something and helping people who have hit a rough patch in their lives...everyone deserves happiness. For this person, helping to celebrate a wedding is a great way to give to others. I applaud the person for reaching out to others.

chebean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chebean Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 7:32am
post #17 of 205

i am sure people are emailing her like crazy asking if she's for real!! i think she does some pretty cakes, especially if she is called upon for a "last minute" cake!! i wish i could do what she does!!

don't be too hard on someone....we all start from somewhere! i am humbled by the thought that there is always someone out there better than me and i can always learn from him/her.

i don't think it's a scam for her to charge for "supplies". if she loves what she is doing and trying to build a portfolio, i think she is going in the right direction! if she believes that she is doing this out of the kindness of her heart then we are blessed with her kindness!

if i was her client, i'd much rather pay for supplies than hundreds of dollars, even thousands of dollars, for a wedding cake!!

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 7:52am
post #18 of 205

She's obviously doing something she loves - lucky woman !!!

More power to her icon_smile.gif

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 9:06am
post #19 of 205

I think her cakes are lovely, i think shes mad!!!
But she must really love doing it. Good for her.

mrsbink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbink Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 9:33am
post #20 of 205

Ok, her cakes are very pretty... Definitely better than I can do. But, a totally non-profit wedding cake business? In Vegas? You can't say that people are being negative by being a little skeptical. When is the last time anyone had someone offer you something for free, with no strings attached? Not saying she is scamming, just saying might be a little too good to be true.

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 9:34am
post #21 of 205

To my mind there's no logic in the the notion that this lady might be scamming - scammers would more likely scam you on the whole deal not spend their time making a cake for cost only and then just scam you on the extras... A scammer would more likely have copied other people's pics and passed them off as their own repertoire.

As for the comment that her list of flavours is limited... well, why shouldn't it be? She has not unreasonably defined her parameters and she describes herself as an amateur.

There are many people out there making cakes on a more conventional business basis who don't come up with the goods.

I think the speculation about this lady's motives say more about the posters than anything else. Been an interesting read from that perspective.

This lady sounds like an individual who actually not out to make every last buck from each passing punter which is what I think some people are implying about Las Vegas.

jmo
housemouse

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 9:48am
post #22 of 205

Not that I would 'advertise' this as she does, but I kind of feel the same way....my family can only take so many cakes, goodies sometimes, so when I feel like trying out something new on a cake, I pass it on to friends, work, neighbors, etc.
She's right, she builds not only experience, but clientel. There is a something in it somewhere or she is just a Wedding Angel to some.

TandTHarrell Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 9:51am
post #23 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by modthyrth

Come on people, don't get your panties in a twist. Why must a frank and honest appraisal be construed as negative? Yes, her cakes are quite nice. No, they do not look professional. She'd flunk pastry school with consistency issues like those. I'm not being mean by saying that--it's just a fact. That doesn't mean that her cakes and her service aren't extremely nice. But if I were paying for a wedding cake, I'd expect more. MnSnow had it right--you get what you pay for.

I, too, would guess that she's practicing and building her portfolio. Cool. The best way to get really good is to practice practice practice. If she does a ton of cakes this way, I expect she will get extremely good. Right now she is an amateur with promise.

I appreciate honest feedback more than coddling, myself. So that's what I give.

Quote:
Quote:

She'd flunk pastry school with consistency issues like those. I'm not being mean by saying that--it's just a fact

Like I said some things are better off unsaid.

We, would also flunk pastry school, ;however I wouldnt go and say what she said.... How do we know shes not apart of CC?

You would expect more, how much more can an person expect, if they are in LasVegas getting married. Come on guys let not cast any stones.

kcjc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcjc Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 10:47am
post #24 of 205

Hi, I think thats wonderful what she's doing. I think she maybe is trying to get experience & build up her portfolio as others have suggested. I was thinking of doing something like that myself. Sounds like there is some controversy on that . I've lived yrs in Massachusetts were people knew me as a girl with decorating or a good eye for design,taught crafts, baked rather tasty desserts etc. Now I live in NC were people don't know me. I really really want to decorate cakes and get into business. I'm not legal but have inquired & recieved some paperwork to be(bought a seperate freezer, buying pans ,all kinds of supplies,attending classes etc.)I'm working on it. You guys on CC are the best thing. I've read on another thread to drop cakes off at local community shops were you do business etc. I went to her website..and also saw one on craigs list for a different person advertising that she was trying to improve her decorating skills & building a portfolio so she was asking for cost only. Do the majority of you think that's wrong? I guess I don't recall if this girl came right out & said why she was giving free or cost cakes but the Craigs list did. I have just recently said to some people I would make them a cake for cost Help! I need more design pics & experience. Am I going about this the wrong way? Sorry didn't mean to Hijack this thread it's just on the lines of what I was thinking of doing.Karen

laura_d_v Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laura_d_v Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 11:13am
post #25 of 205

You know, if she is trying to get experience and has time to do this, good for her! I would do it.
In fact, a friend of mine (and she actually pays me for cakes, not because I want her to, but because she says I deserve it) has been wanting me to set up a website for my cakes, and I'm not nearly as good as most people here on CC!
I have actually told her that I would do it so long as I was only charging cost of supplies because, first off, I'm not licensed, and second, but even more important to me, I just want the experience right now. And as someone said earlier, my family can only take so many cakes.

So Bravo to this lady for doing what she loves and getting more experience. I would.

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 11:18am
post #26 of 205

I think it's great! Maybe she is getting around the whole licensing thing by doing them for free. I would hope that people would tip her nicely for doing a free cake. I have heard that some people do cakes for free but will happily accept donations/tips. I would certainly tip her if she did my wedding cake. And she does pretty good work and her flavors sound yummy!

omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 11:20am
post #27 of 205

AMAZINg!!! I can't believe all the negative comments I have read. Now days no one can do anything for FREE without being critized. For all we know she might be someone well off with lots of time in her hands and wants to share her talent with others. They might not be a Colette Peterson cake, but I'm sure the brides appreciate them. Most of the time if people get married in Vegas is because they can not afford all the expenses that go with a big wedding. To me it sound like a GOOD HEARTED person and I take my hat off to her. Someone I know got married in Vegas and the charge for a simple 2 tier cake was OUTRAGEOUS. God Bless this angel that is giving brides a decent cake to take their wedding pictures with.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 11:44am
post #28 of 205

I'm sickened by some of the negative comments in these short two pages. The woman lives in Las Vegas, she serves Las Vegas. We all know how busy Las Vegas is and how many people elope in/to Vegas every year (thousands if not more), so she may be doing 5 cakes a week for costs only, and as some of you know 3 tier cakes are high in costs especially if you live in an expencive area such as Vegas.

Just because she's doing freebies doesn't mean she's bad. Is it because she may be stealing your clientel that yall are gettin so worked up? I doubt it unless you live near her that that would be the case. Leave the woman alone let her be.

No one asked anyone to critique her skills, she knows she isn't as good as Collette Peters or anyone else, but she is stating the truth, she wants/needs practice so she's doing it for costs. No one asked anyone to say how flawed her cakes are or point out obvious flaws... Just makes me wonder everytime someone posts a cake here on CC are yall doing this secretly in your homes? Looking at your monitor and saying how ugly the cake is and then posting that it's pretty or just by passing and laughing at how unskilled they are? Makes me sick there are people like that around here.

TandTHarrell Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 11:54am
post #29 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGoodies

I'm sickened by some of the negative comments in these short two pages. The woman lives in Las Vegas, she serves Las Vegas. We all know how busy Las Vegas is and how many people elope in/to Vegas every year (thousands if not more), so she may be doing 5 cakes a week for costs only, and as some of you know 3 tier cakes are high in costs especially if you live in an expencive area such as Vegas.

Just because she's doing freebies doesn't mean she's bad. Is it because she may be stealing your clientel that yall are gettin so worked up? I doubt it unless you live near her that that would be the case. Leave the woman alone let her be.

No one asked anyone to critique her skills, she knows she isn't as good as Collette Peters or anyone else, but she is stating the truth, she wants/needs practice so she's doing it for costs. No one asked anyone to say how flawed her cakes are or point out obvious flaws... Just makes me wonder everytime someone posts a cake here on CC are yall doing this secretly in your homes? Looking at your monitor and saying how ugly the cake is and then posting that it's pretty or just by passing and laughing at how unskilled they are? Makes me sick there are people like that around here.

Very well said!!!!!!!!!!

SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 11:55am
post #30 of 205

I am also so surprised by the negative comments. I think her cakes are beautiful and wouldn't have a problem paying for one of them. She is more talented than I am.

We have no idea what her reasoning behind this is and to be honest it really isn't any of our business. If she loves her hobby that much then I'm sure she does it out pure pleasure. I am really disappointed in the negative comments because I really enjoy CC and have gotten nothing but encouragement and support from the people who have helped me. I hope my website doesn't get trashed like this someday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%