Check Out This Website

Decorating By Dennysse Updated 13 Oct 2007 , 5:06am by woodthi32

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:31pm
post #91 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by tye

im going to tell myself that the only reason mine werent stolen is cuz i watermark my photos.. that HAS to be the reason.. right?? right??? <someone hold me>

That's what I'm telling myself, too icon_smile.gif

ChristineMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineMarie Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:35pm
post #92 of 205

Oh yes I like that one LisaMS =)

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:38pm
post #93 of 205

Hey gang! Well... I, too am a victim of this heffa. I feel like a previous poster where I am flattered and irritated at the same time. I always wondered if one of my pics would ever be stolen, and if they were would I find it. Well, it was stolen and I found it! I am now a member of the "Stolen Cakes Club"!!! My cake is 16 on her site. I am going to email her AND call to have her remove it.
BTW...I have asked a few members how to watermark and have not gotten a response. If you know how to watermark and are willing to help me, please PM me.
Thanks.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:42pm
post #94 of 205

Oh here's another idea, I don't know if it is quite a "scam " though. People buy the pans and tips,spatulas etc needed to make a cake and she gets to keep them? I know it has taken me a couple of years to build up my collection of baking gear and I only have round and square pans, nothing fancy, no pillar sets or air brushes or anything. So maybe she is not scamming but rather "using" people to get what she needs, if theres even a diffrence between the two.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:45pm
post #95 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer7777

I am now a member of the "Stolen Cakes Club"!!! My cake is 16 on her site.

I thought that cake looked familiar

DebbyTCL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyTCL Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:51pm
post #96 of 205

Well, I did a little research and found out that she hired a company out of Canada to do her site. It is registered to them and she has no access to it. The company that she hired has it locked up and has been since the day they created it back in August. They will have to be the ones to change the photos.

I am sure that she has gotten the message from those of you who contacted her, so give her some time to get this done.

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:56pm
post #97 of 205

one of the cakes on there is from martha stewarts website. the fall colors rose one with the swirls

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:56pm
post #98 of 205

I think there are very few comments that even approach negative in this thread. She put herself out there in a public form, why shouldn't we get to comment on what she makes and what she's doing? Like I said before, I think what she's doing and generous and cool. Whether she's doing it to build a portfolio or simply because she loves making cakes, she's providing a thoughtful service. It's a great way for an amateur to gather experience.

And yeah, a bunch of my cakes would completely flunk at pastry school, too. Like I said, that wasn't an insult. It's just a bar by which people who sell wedding cakes are measured. I don't sell cakes. I made one wedding cake for a friend, and it had its shares of disasters, but hey, it was free and made with love. You get what you pay for. icon_wink.gif

I hope she has enough resources to be able to work out of a commercial kitchen and be legal, so she doesn't get caught. It would be especially awful to get dinged with high fines when you didn't even make any profit on the cakes you made. If she's illegal, she's playing a dangerous game. But that's another issue.

If this is such a saccharine forum where honest opinions can't be given, then it's not a place where we can grow and learn from our mistakes. I value the experience and the insight of the talented people on this board, and though praise is always fun, constructive criticism is what will make me better.

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:59pm
post #99 of 205

Do you guys think this site would be ok to use?

http://www.victoriana.com/bridal/weddingcake.htm

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:00pm
post #100 of 205

Mod,
she is illegal by the mere fact that she's pirating photos from other members. And who's to tell what cakes are hers (if any) and which ones come from those on here who have been victimized.
And as for the canadian webmaster? Don't the clients usually supply the pics to be posted on ones website???

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:04pm
post #101 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjstor

I don't understand cjstor. Use for what?

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:05pm
post #102 of 205

This sucks!! icon_sad.gif My cakes NEVER get stolen!! LOL, maybe I should actually attempt a wedding cake before I pout huh?? icon_wink.gif

Seriously though, these people have got to stop....don't they know that with all of us CCer's searching the web we're gonna find you!!

DebbyTCL Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:10pm
post #103 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaptlps

And as for the canadian webmaster? Don't the clients usually supply the pics to be posted on ones website???

Not always. Sometimes they use "stock" photos. These are supposed to be purchased and not copywritten. That is not always the case. Just wait it out and see what they do. Time will tell.

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:10pm
post #104 of 205

To post wedding cake pics to obtain orders?

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:11pm
post #105 of 205
Quote:

Mod,
she is illegal by the mere fact that she's pirating photos from other members. And who's to tell what cakes are hers (if any) and which ones come from those on here who have been victimized.

Yeah, I didn't notice that the thread had grown to such proportions when I just posted, and was responding to earlier stuff before the theft issue came up. As an IP attorney, I firmly fall on the no-steal side.

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:15pm
post #106 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer7777

BTW...I have asked a few members how to watermark and have not gotten a response. If you know how to watermark and are willing to help me, please PM me.
Thanks.

The most common program on most computers is Paint. 1) Open up your photo 2) At the left will be symbols, select the one that looks like a capital A and then click on the photo where you want to put your name 3) In the white box that appeared, you will type in your name/watermark 4) Save the image again.

If you have another type of photo program, just open up the photo and look for the option "add text", then after adding the text, save the image.

Hope I didn't make this confusing icon_confused.gif I tend to confuse even myself. HTH

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:16pm
post #107 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjstor

Okay, I see what you mean. You want to upload your own photos there right? They don't have a lot of photos there and I don't know if they have a reputation, good or bad. I personally would not use it because I don't know who the hosts are. Why not use CC or make a personal web page?

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:19pm
post #108 of 205

not trying to be mean, but she paid a company to do her website?!?! its not bad if she had done it herself, but if i paid someone to do it i would expect a much higher quality site.

we'll see how responsive that company in Canada is about fixing it. if necessary i'll have my attorney send them a letter. although can i do anything from US? being in canada surely doesn't get them off the hook....

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:24pm
post #109 of 205

I'm disappointed with the mean calls and emails that you all are sending this woman. They could have been much more tactful and less immature. I just imagine a beginning cake decorator at home getting these horrible messages out of no where. She's definitely a beginner and probably had no idea she was doing was a professional discourtesy. It will most likely take a lot of joy of cake decorating from her when she could have used the help and support of other cake decorators.

chaptlps Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:25pm
post #110 of 205

Well debbie,
I am just wondering because most of those photos that were taken aren't actually in the public domain they are here on c.c. and I don't think you can just google for cake pics and get the ones posted here on c.c. They, for the most part, are password protected (meaning that you have to be a member and enter a password to even be able to see the pics).
So that is what is making me scratch my head.

cj, you are on YAHOO!!, right?? You can make yourself a yahoo 360* page or even a geocities website (they have a free version). If you don't want to go that way you can go to blogger.com and get yourself a blogspot. Or even windows livespaces.
I try to avoid myspace altogether because of the pirating, phishing and viral problems on there.

ChristineMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineMarie Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:31pm
post #111 of 205

Honestly, this is a concept my child knows - If it isnt yours you dont take it. It is simple. Very very simple. It is not about being professional or immature. There is right and there is wrong.. It is not fuzzy.

Hey I like your photo do you mind if I put it on my site and give you credit- RIGHT
Hey let me search CC and steal a photo of your cake I have not even attempted to make and pawn it off as my own-WRONG

beccakelly Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:33pm
post #112 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith

I'm disappointed with the mean calls and emails that you all are sending this woman. They could have been much more tactful and less immature. I just imagine a beginning cake decorator at home getting these horrible messages out of no where. She's definitely a beginner and probably had no idea she was doing was a professional discourtesy. It will most likely take a lot of joy of cake decorating from her when she could have used the help and support of other cake decorators.

mean? horrible? i don't think anyone has sent anything mean or horrible to her. its professional and its how you run a business, to tell people to not use your copyrighted property, and send letters from a lawyer. thats how things are done in business. no one said anything rude or insulting. do you think disney would be all sugar and honey asking people not to use their copyrighted property? no, they do the same thing we are.

chaptlps Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:36pm
post #113 of 205

jsmith,
I really do want to give this lady the benefit of the doubt, but if she is a member here, then she has to know how upset people get when their photos are pirated. God knows there's been enough threads on the subject.
In order for her to even see the pics (there are just too many jacked from one place to be coincidence), she would have to be a member here on c.c. Also, she would have had to cruise the galleries for quite some time before finding some of these cake pics. So, there has to be some premeditation involved. But, that's just my opinion and NOT gospel truth.
My cakes are not the most popular here but then I would never, EVER, EVER think of posting someone elses cake pics on my website just to boost my ratings. If I want to show the client something I've done then that's what the client is going to see. Not something "I think I can do, but never had the time so heck I'll post the pic anyways, cause you never know.........."
That is misrepresentation on the part of the decorator and that could also get the person in deep doodoo!! Those are the ones you end up seeing on "Judge Judy".

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:50pm
post #114 of 205

I just have to ask.....now that there are people posting who have cakes on that site......where are all those "cakes don't even look good" members?? ....big lesson to learn there...but is anyone gonna learn it ...nope....why...because its gonna turn into another town bashing of "OMG SHE STOLE MY PIC" icon_rolleyes.gif ....seriously if you want your picture to remain sacred watermark it...copyright it but even then...if you post it on the internet you can bet your icing bag its up for grabs!

Im sure I'll be outcasted for my opinion on it....but this gets SO freakin old.....by "this" I mean the bashing that is coming along and will continue......and say what you want say its because my stuff isnt worth getting stolen or whatever....but you can't say Im so naive to think that anything and everything I put on the internet isnt there for the world to find or prey upon icon_wink.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:58pm
post #115 of 205
Quote:

Well debbie,
I am just wondering because most of those photos that were taken aren't actually in the public domain they are here on c.c. and I don't think you can just google for cake pics and get the ones posted here on c.c. They, for the most part, are password protected (meaning that you have to be a member and enter a password to even be able to see the pics).
So that is what is making me scratch my head.

Just FYI...CC photos do show up on Google searches, but when you want a closeup, you get the message that you must be a member. But it's so easy to become a member here.....I'm sure she's not a regular contributor, or else she would know the rules of the game better.

chaptlps Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 7:09pm
post #116 of 205

Well dang adven, ya learn something new everyday. hmmmm!!!!

DebbyTCL Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 7:14pm
post #117 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsline7

I just have to ask.....now that there are people posting who have cakes on that site......where are all those "cakes don't even look good" members?? ....big lesson to learn there...but is anyone gonna learn it ...nope....why...because its gonna turn into another town bashing of "OMG SHE STOLE MY PIC" icon_rolleyes.gif ....seriously if you want your picture to remain sacred watermark it...copyright it but even then...if you post it on the internet you can bet your icing bag its up for grabs!

Im sure I'll be outcasted for my opinion on it....but this gets SO freakin old.....by "this" I mean the bashing that is coming along and will continue......and say what you want say its because my stuff isnt worth getting stolen or whatever....but you can't say Im so naive to think that anything and everything I put on the internet isnt there for the world to find or prey upon icon_wink.gif

I won't outcast you! You have a valid point that should be concidered!

PS: I looked at your pictures and your cakes took a lot of thought, time & effort and it shows the magnitude of talent that you have! I love your stuff, especially your figurines!

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 7:25pm
post #118 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyTCL

I won't outcast you! You have a valid point that should be concidered!

PS: I looked at your pictures and your cakes took a lot of thought, time & effort and it shows the magnitude of talent that you have! I love your stuff, especially your figurines!

thanks!!....as do you and the others who's pics were used...so please don't get me wrong...I am by NO means vouching it ok that this person or any person take what isnt theirs.....because Im not ok with that either....my beef is with the "this is this and that is that's" when no one knows what the story is....if she is giving away cakes at cost....which is what I do....A because I need and want the practice....and B because most people can't afford the big hoorah of a cake....I would guess that she was posting pictures to show what she could do....now I could be just as wrong as those who posted that "her" cakes weren't up to par icon_wink.gif ....but until her side of the cake is there Im not gonna jump on the "take her down" wagon

beccakelly Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 7:27pm
post #119 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsline7

of COURSE we all realize that whats posted on the internet is available for people to steal. every time i walk out the door my purse, phone, and wallet are "available" to steal just by being out of locked doors. but that doesn't mean we can't be upset when it happens.

my pics aren't watermarked, and there's a reason for it (wont go into that now). i made the conscious decision not to watermark, knowing that it leaves my pics vulnerable. that doesn't stop me from doing something about it when they are stolen. and if there are other people out there who have stolen my pics that i don't know about, well there's nothing i can do about it until i find them.

judylynnturner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judylynnturner Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 7:40pm
post #120 of 205

Ok, I have been watching this thread all morning.

I have seen some of the not so nice posts. And I have seen the ones that were supportive until it was discovered the photos were copied.

I can just imagine how this lady feels--it hasn't been so long ago I was attacked, not for photos but for another reason and I have not mentioned it until now. I will not be part of a site that doesn't give the other party time to correct the problem once it was brought to her attention.

There are a lot of good people here, but really, what is being accomplished by publishing this type of dirty laundry? I understand that if it were my photos, I would be upset, but I would not have posted on here, I would have contacted the person first and allowed them a chance to explain. Alot of people on here have posted and there cakes weren't even the ones taken. Can we please leave this lady alone and give her the chance to correct this without any other negativity?

Are we guilty of cyber-harrassment?

"Cyberbullying" is when a child, preteen or teen is tormented, threatened, harassed, humiliated, embarrassed or otherwise targeted by another child, preteen or teen using the Internet, interactive and digital technologies or mobile phones. It has to have a minor on both sides, or at least have been instigated by a minor against another minor. Once adults become involved, it is plain and simple cyber-harassment or cyberstalking. Adult cyber-harassment or cyberstalking is NEVER called cyberbullying.

Can we please have a moderator look at this thread and decide if it should remain on here? Weren't the previous threads removed?

Can someone please post a stickie on how to watermark your photos on the home page with a warning that if we do not watermark our photos we are opening ourselves up to this type of action whether innocently or not?

I can't remember when I signed up if in the rules, there was anything about taking photos from this sight, but if it isn't maybe there should be a stipulation added that if you copy a photo and do not give credit or have express written permission from the original creator, you will be banned from here?

Has this lady posted a response on here yet? Maybe if she did and explained what happened, it would alleviate some of the tension.

Thank you for allowing me to express my thoughts on this matter and I hope that I have not offended anyone, IF I did, please understand, that was not my intention. I do not defend any photo stealing, but I do know what it is like to be upset by something and not given a fair chance to defend myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%