Decorating By Dennysse Updated 13 Oct 2007 , 5:06am by woodthi32

Luckylurker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luckylurker Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:31am
post #151 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by myohmy

I would surf all night looking at pictures and saving them to my HD but never saved who created it. It was always my intention to give credit but by the time the gallery was ready I had about 1k pics and no way of finding who made them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckylurker

When I find cakes that I think are interesting, or good ideas, or just plain beautiful, I copy them to my idea folder on my computer. I rarely comment and rarely save items to my favorite folder because it's easier to just have them on my computer. I'm guessing most people do it this way.

Hmmm...Even though I knew people did this...saving to their computer...I never really thought about it. I don't like the idea of someone having my picture on their hard drive with no credit given to me. This would especially be true on cakes that were entirely my idea and creation. I tend to be a Wilton copycat on most of my cakes and those don't matter as much.

I've been waiting until CC upgrades to watermark because now, if you update your picture, you lose your keywords and title. Now I am thinking, either all my pictures come off tonight or I do some major watermarking. I'm not sure what to do icon_confused.gif

All this seemed so much fun at first but my cakes are mine. It's almost, but not quite, like knowing someone has pictures of your kids on their computer that they look at all the time.

I really don't like the thought that someone would use my cake pictures to promote their business.

If you feel this way, by all means, watermark your photos. I think it is ridiculous to assume that people will not use your photos for ideas though. Did I say I took people's photos and called them my own? No, I never have and never would. However, I do save pictures to use as ideas, I don't care WHO the picture belongs to, you are very rarely the first one to come up with the "idea" so why would you care if someone used it? If I copy someone's cake exactly, I will say the idea was from someone here, or wilton, etc. I assume that is credit enough. I thought the whole point in coming here was to share ideas?

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:48am
post #152 of 205

Pretty much all my cakes are done for free. My husband has his hobbies he spends money on, and I have mine. My hobby just benefits other people as well; and I can hopefully make a profit on it in the future, when I'm confident enough to have a business. icon_smile.gif

I don't get to do cakes as often as I use to, since I moved to Georgia. All my family and friends are back in Ohio, so any time someone needs a cake, I volunteer, just so I can still get the practice in.

Now, if it were a stranger wanting the cake, I probably would charge for supplies. I usually give them to my husband's work, and friends, for free though.

If I lived in a place like Vegas, where people are getting hitched left and right, I would probably do the same thing. It's a great way to get the supplies and experience.

Holly

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 11:07am
post #153 of 205

Golly, I just wish my cake pics were good enough for someone to want to use on their web page icon_lol.gif

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 11:39am
post #154 of 205

OK now I posted on the 2nd page yesterday before work. I came home last night at 8:30 to find 9 pages of replies. I didn't read them because staring at a comp all day had done something to my eyes and I couldn't focus. So now that I can I've read every page to the 11th.

I have to say one thing first, I was not defending the theft of pictures, nor condoning it. I do think this person has balls to come here and state how sorry they are and still have the site up, not only having it up but has edited it since yesterday, updated a background, changed the gallery feel and look, and changed a lot of things except taking the pictures down. If she/he can do that much work to the website why can't they take the darn pictures down? After they said they would they still haven't as of 7:28 AM Friday morning.

Also I want to say this. If you are one of the ones here that are worried about your photos being saved without proper credit given later, go to Google, search for something called Umark Lite Download it. It's FREE! Water mark ALL of your pictures. Come back to CC, go to your photos section, click on each picture and edit picture. Change to the newly watermarked picture and be done with this. It will take a little while for the new picture to take on, but it will update sooner or later.

Now for those who questioned me jumping at the person who was negative in the beginning. The reason I said what I said and feel the way I feel is because this person (sorry I don't remember who now and don't feel like going back to look), came here and trashed someones work. Totally trashed it. Turns out it's all work of fellow CC'ers. So basically they trashed CC'ers work. I for one don't care what anyone thinks about my cakes as long as the receiver of said cake is happy with it. I don't think it's your place to trash someone else's work, stating it would flunk pastry school and so on, when you don't know who actually made the cake. And yes it may flunk pastry school but are we in school? No, part of us are meirly hobbiest some are in the business. Those in the business that are making it big have alot of experience behind them and have built up a reputation. Those doing this as a hobby, we all know we have room for improvment and that's why we continue doing this, so we can improve. I don't think you had the right to come in here thinking it was someone else's work off CC and totally trash it like that. I know I myself, would feel like crap if I had said something like that and then it turned out they were all CC'ers photos.

On the note of the "website owner". We've had this happen before were someone states they hired someone else to do their website and have no access to it at all. I've build many many websites in the last 10 years and I can say that when people paid me/contracted me to build their website, I would talk with them about what they wanted, make notes on it, use pictures THEY SUPPLIED, weather in paper form or on a diskette/cd, create the website to their specs and then provide them with the username and password and explain to them one on one while walking them thru it how to edit prices, add pictures, add info, etc.

The fact someone claims this person can not edit their website is just BS, since the website has been editted since yesterday morning when this first came up.

With all that I'm ending this post now, and I appreciate if anyone has any issues with what I have said here please contact me via PM since I won't be reading thru 11 more pages to find posts directed at me. Thank you.

Also wanted to say, Yes I noticed some of those cakes did look familier and yes I knew they were from CC but since I couldn't locate them yesterday morning I didn't jump on the "she stole it" band wagon, but I do not approve of that, hense why I went thru all I did to add other peoples photos to my own website. And yes incase someone didn't catch that thread... I have written permission from everyone whose photo is located on my website.

I just think this is another case where we all need to think before we type because you don't actually know who made the cake in the photo you are bashing.

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:21pm
post #155 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulytx

on a happier note twinsline7 are those your boys? they are so cute, I have 3 of my own. I wanted to put their pic as my avatar but the file was to big, how did you get yours on?

yep...thats thing 1 and thing 2 icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

thanks icon_biggrin.gif ...yours looks like he has been hanging out and influenced by these two trouble makers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingersoave

Golly, I just wish my cake pics were good enough for someone to want to use on their web page icon_lol.gif

I'd steal them.....and for the record if I ever make wedding cakes...you can have them icon_lol.gif

once someone posted my Buddy cake on their blog saying he was cool....and that blog "cupcakes take the cake" posted one of my butterfly cupcakes and I about peed my pants with excitement like a chihuahua!!!! icon_lol.gif

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:36pm
post #156 of 205

my bet is this girl is trying to get her name out there. She has enough money to not turn a profit for a while. I actually hear Mrs. Fields gave her cookies away for a weekend............

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:52pm
post #157 of 205

Checked back this morning and see she has made changes and is now ackknowledging photos are just examples pulled from the web and not her own cakes. Good enough for me. (She also took my photo off and I hadn't even emailed her about it yet.) She's trying to make it right.

arahsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arahsa Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:08pm
post #158 of 205

I got married in Vegas 2 years ago and if I would have know about this lady I totally would have called her. Anyone here that has been marrie din Vegas knows that you go there for one reason. Its CHEAP. I had a very nice wedding at the Princess Wedding Chapel. Then dinner at the Balagio. I think dinner cost more then my wedding.

I think that it is a great idea and I am glad that there are still people out there in this world they dont just think about making a buck!

I mostly do cake decorating as a hobbie right now but I do make free cakes for family and friends as long as they by the supplies. So that way if I choose to start my own business then I have a portfolio to go with it!

I wish her luck and I will have to make sure that my friends and family who decide that they want a vegas wedding will call her!

Mickig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickig Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:23pm
post #159 of 205

Wow, this post has really turned ugly. icon_confused.gif Heath, I have a suggestion/question. In order to avoid this kind of ugly turn in the future is it possible that we could have a new category just to post links for web sites with stolen pictures? For example, if I'm on a site and find one of my cake pictures, I could just post the link so that others could check to see if their own pictures might be there. Just an FYI kind of thing. No messages, no bashing, just links. I think we're all adult enough to stick by those rules. So is it possible? Seems like some folks are ready to throw blows with this post. icon_surprised.gif

Mickig

woodthi32 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:27pm
post #160 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnSnow

It seems she is not legal and trying to build her portfolio. Looking at close ups, there is leaning, bulging and icing not smooth. Guess you get what you pay for.

I'd be skep..."
That is completely not warranted. Not a grain of truth to it. Why would you say such a thing? Who here can find NO imperfection int heir cakes. Your post is an invitation to look at yours, and, with all due respect, I saw ONE pic of a BEAUTIFUL birthday cake, a BEAUTIFUL birthday cake that IS, my dear, far from perfect, but very pretty, bulging bttercream and all.......... thumbsdown.gif tical.

woodthi32 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:39pm
post #161 of 205

stealing pics is not criminal. It's dishonest, a half truth. "I can make this cake" I think she should for the sake of trust and honesty, have a disclaimer basically stating this pic doesn't belong to her, but she can make this cake..............If she were to use one of mine, this is what I would ask for, that she give me credit, specifically, for a particular cake.

woodthi32 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:43pm
post #162 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by tye

im going to tell myself that the only reason mine werent stolen is cuz i watermark my photos.. that HAS to be the reason.. right?? right??? <someone hold me>

Could someone hold me too!!!???
Maybe ours are just TOOOOOO difficult to duplicate, right?

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:43pm
post #163 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomikesa

Lets get back to the original issue! The free cake thing.my hubby pointed out to me that doing the cakes for cost only, is not such a good idea after all, I told him it may be a good way to build a large list of clients, he says as soon as you start charging regular prices they would start complaining "how come it cost me $50 before for the supplies and now is $300.00?' , also he says they will be quick to complain about any little thing. He says only do the cost thing for family and friends. I am thinking he is right.

This is a good point. At what point would someone decide "ok I'm good now, so I'm raising my prices"? And yes, 'people like to complain about any little thing.'

woodthi32 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:47pm
post #164 of 205

QUESTION:
If someone said to you, "your cake on CC is beautiful and I would like to copy the design. If I credit you with this cake and the photo, may I use it as an example of something I could duplicate?", would you do it?
I would.
I am trying to figure out if the issue here is largely because it is plagiarism, basically, to take the credit, but using your invention and crediting you with it might be flattering actually??

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:58pm
post #165 of 205

I guess it would depend on context to a degree.

If someone chose one of the cakes I slaved over and wanted to have it on a site that said "I'm a beginner, and I can do this..", I may think it would devalue my work a little.

woodthi32 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:01pm
post #166 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerGirlMN

I guess it would depend on context to a degree.

If someone chose one of the cakes I slaved over and wanted to have it on a site that said "I'm a beginner, and I can do this..", I may think it would devalue my work a little.

So it would depend on the context. That implies that you wouldn't be angry at them for asking, that you would consider it depending on the circumstances. It is her doing it without permission that is the problem.
However, I really think when you are someone like Martha, Colette Margaret or whoever, you have to expect that people won't ask first, but hope that they will credit you.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:08pm
post #167 of 205

let me preface this by saying i appreciate it that my photo is taken down. and i appreciate the apology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodthi32

stealing pics is not criminal. It's dishonest, a half truth. "I can make this cake" I think she should for the sake of trust and honesty, have a disclaimer basically stating this pic doesn't belong to her, but she can make this cake..............If she were to use one of mine, this is what I would ask for, that she give me credit, specifically, for a particular cake.

this has been beat to death, and it seems people still do not get that it is ILLEGAL and CRIMINAL to steal copyrighted images. what has this whole thread been about since page 5 (or so). its not merely dishonest, or unethical. IT IS A CRIME TO STEAL PHOTOS. period. and if you don't care, well thats fine. some people don't care that its illegal to speed, or shop lift or any other number of "petty" crimes.

this is a direct quote off of the person in questions website:

"Some pictures you'll see in the gallery I sourced from the world wide web. I have included them on my site because they are design examples of work that I am capable of doing. As my portfolio grows, all the sourced photos will eventually be replaced with my own photos. If anyone see's their photograph and would like it taken down, email me and I will oblige."

it appears she still doesn't really get it either. this "disclaimer" doesn't change a thing. you don't just remove photos because someone finds out and asks you to. you don't post other peoples photos without permission because its a CRIME.

i am done with this thread i do not think i'll be reading it any more.

once again, thanks for removing my picture. and i second the motion to start a new forum to post links to websites, but not allow any commentary. this has happened too often.

woodthi32 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:08pm
post #168 of 205

This is a disclaimer from her site:
Please note this is a new site and a new venture for me. Some pictures you'll see in the gallery I sourced from the world wide web. I have included them on my site because they are design examples of work that I am capable of doing. As my portfolio grows, all the sourced photos will eventually be replaced with my own photos. If anyone see's their photograph and would like it taken down, email me and I will oblige.

woodthi32 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:15pm
post #169 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccakelly

let me preface this by saying i appreciate it that my photo is taken down. and i appreciate the apology.

Quote:

this has been beat to death, and it seems people still do not get that it is ILLEGAL and CRIMINAL to steal copyrighted images. what has this whole thread been about since page 5 (or so). its not merely dishonest, or unethical. IT IS A CRIME TO STEAL PHOTOS. period. and if you don't care, well thats fine. some people don't care that its illegal to speed, or shop lift or any other number of "petty" crimes.

this is a direct quote off of the person in questions website:

"Some pictures you'll see in the gallery I sourced from the world wide web. I have included them on my site because they are design examples of work that I am capable of doing. As my portfolio grows, all the sourced photos will eventually be replaced with my own photos. If anyone see's their photograph and would like it taken down, email me and I will oblige."

it appears she still doesn't really get it either. this "disclaimer" doesn't change a thing. you don't just remove photos because someone finds out and asks you to. you don't post other peoples photos without permission because its a CRIME.

i am done with this thread i do not think i'll be reading it any more.

once again, thanks for removing my picture. and i second the motion to start a new forum to post links to websites, but not allow any commentary. this has happened too often.

It seems I need to clarify:
I made no comment on copwrighted images. You are speaking of copywright infringement, a crime and I am speaking of plagiarism, which is not. It of course goes without saying that copywright infringement is illegal. Or at tleast I thought it didicon_smile.gif

woodthi32 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:16pm
post #170 of 205

lol, copyRight...duh

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:20pm
post #171 of 205

I guess alot of us here that haven't been to pastry school and don't always make flawless cakes are amateurs with promise. I don't know if I like that title very much.

And now that we know that the "constructive criticism" was actually not about that lady's cakes but about CC members' cakes, do we feel just a bit bad about the things said?

Lastly, I don't agree with stealing photos. I'd rather try to duplicate something I've seen and take my own pictures. So I understand being frustrated if yours was one that was stolen. But when requesting that your picture be taken down, is it justifiable to be so incredibly nasty in your request? My granny always told me that you catch more flies with honey...

beccakelly Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:31pm
post #172 of 205
Quote:

It seems I need to clarify:
I made no comment on copwrighted images. You are speaking of copywright infringement, a crime and I am speaking of plagiarism, which is not. It of course goes without saying that copywright infringement is illegal. Or at tleast I thought it didicon_smile.gif

I am trying to figure out if the issue here is largely because it is plagiarism, basically, to take the credit, but using your invention and crediting you with it might be flattering actually??

every photo is copyrighted at the moment of creation. so if anyone uses photos EVEN IF THEY GIVE CREDIT without permission it IS copy right infringement (not plagiarism). her "disclaimer" does not change that she is infringing on copyright and committing a crime if any other those photos aren't her originals or used with express permission from the owner.

woodthi32 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:44pm
post #173 of 205

oh, I had no idea there was an automatic copyright on photographs. Can you point me to this statute? That, of course WOULD make all the difference in my opinion on this.
I can find nothing of it.

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:46pm
post #174 of 205

RRGibson wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

I guess alot of us here that haven't been to pastry school and don't always make flawless cakes are amateurs with promise. I don't know if I like that title very much.

Cheer up and laugh it off. I haven't been to pastry school either. If that makes me an "amatuer with promise" in someone else's eyes then so be it. But just remember... the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
thumbs_up.gif

Signed,
Sweet_honesty
Proud "amateur with promise" icon_biggrin.gif

woodthi32 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:48pm
post #175 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGibson

And now that we know that the "constructive criticism" was actually not about that lady's cakes but about CC members' cakes, do we feel just a bit bad about the things said?

Lastly, I don't agree with stealing photos. I'd rather try to duplicate something I've seen and take my own pictures. So I understand being frustrated if yours was one that was stolen. But when requesting that your picture be taken down, is it justifiable to be so incredibly nasty in your request? My granny always told me that you catch more flies with honey...

I agree, stealing any photo and passing the work as your own is completely dishonest and just wrong.

woodthi32 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:53pm
post #176 of 205

I would rather be an amateur with promise than a professional withouticon_smile.gif

beccakelly Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:54pm
post #177 of 205
Quote:

oh, I had no idea there was an automatic copyright on photographs. Can you point me to this statute? That, of course WOULD make all the difference in my opinion on this.
I can find nothing of it.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ40.html#copyright
Copyright Protection Is Automatic

Under the present copyright law, which became effective January 1, 1978, a work is automatically protected by copyright when it is created. A work is created when it is fixed in a copy or phonorecord for the first time. Neither registration in the Copyright Office nor publication is required for copyright protection under the present law.

edited to add (from the same website):

Works of the Visual Arts

Copyright protects original pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works, which include two-dimensional and threedimensional works of fine, graphic, and applied art. The following is a list of examples of such works:

* Advertisements, commercial prints, labels
* Artificial flowers and plants
* Artwork applied to clothing or to other useful articles
* Bumper stickers, decals, stickers
* Cartographic works, such as maps, globes, relief models
* Cartoons, comic strips
* Collages
* Dolls, toys
* Drawings, paintings, murals
* Enamel works
* Fabric, floor, and wallcovering designs
* Games, puzzles
* Greeting cards, postcards, stationery
* Holograms, computer and laser artwork
* Jewelry designsModels
* Mosaics
* Needlework and craft kits
* Original prints, such as engravings, etchings, serigraphs, silk screen prints, woodblock prints
* Patterns for sewing, knitting, crochet, needlework
* Photographs, photomontages
* Posters
* Record jacket artwork or photography
* Relief and intaglio prints
* Reproductions, such as lithographs, collotypes
* Sculpture, such as carvings, ceramics, figurines, maquettes, molds, relief sculptures
* Stained glass designs
* Stencils, cut-outs
* Technical drawings, architectural drawings or plans, blueprints, diagrams, mechanical drawings
* Weaving designs, lace designs, tapestries

Mickig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickig Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:07pm
post #178 of 205

RRGibson you're not an amateur with promise, you're a diamond in the rough. icon_lol.gif ANd so am I.

Mickig

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:10pm
post #179 of 205

When I first started to read this thread I went to her website. She did state that some of the pics were from the internet and so not her own creations. She also stated if these were your pics let her know and she'd take them down. It seems that she is doing that. People you have to realize that just because you ask something in e mail or a phone message it may just not be possible for the other person to respond right away, as you would like. In the heat of anger/upset we tend to want results right now, but it can't always happen like that.

I have lots and lots of cake pics, from all over, saved to my hard drive. I certainly don't feel like I have to get permission from anyone to do that. I save pics for future reference, and many times I do jot down who made them, especially if it's a cc'r. That way I can quickly refer back to the persons other pics if I want. I have several members on my buddy list so I can get back to their profiles to keep up on their work. Nothing wrong with any of this.

I do have a problem with people who criticize my manners. I work with a woman who will say "what do you saaaay?" if you don't say please or thank you when she thinks you should. Really, I don't need someone telling me what is mature. Once in a while these threads can turn so 7th grade. People sometimes come together to turn on someone because it's easier to do it as a group. Not so easy when it's one on one or face to face. That's one of the negatives about the internet.

myohmy, if you're still here Welcome to CC.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:26pm
post #180 of 205

I am posting this cause I thought it was a little bit easier to understand then the gov site. icon_lol.gif I posted this a while back in another thread about stealing pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marthajo1

Here you go - I think this would apply to this situation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.bitlaw.com/internet/webpage.html

Taking images from third-parties. The simple rule is, "Don't steal someone else's images." The moment an original image (or string of text) is fixed on a hard drive for the first time, it is protected by copyright. Any unauthorized copying of a protected image is an infringement of the creator's copyright, unless the use falls within one of the very limited exceptions to the copyright law, such as "fair use." In most cases, it is unlikely that the incorporation of an image into a commercial web-site would be considered a fair use.

BTw- I guess this may be infringement too! icon_redface.gif Actually I just read on about fair use and I think it is okay but I have no idea how to straight link to a particular paragraph. http://www.bitlaw.com/internet/webpage.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%