Decorating By Dennysse Updated 13 Oct 2007 , 5:06am by woodthi32

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 11:56am
post #31 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by trent

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGoodies

I'm sickened by some of the negative comments in these short two pages. The woman lives in Las Vegas, she serves Las Vegas. We all know how busy Las Vegas is and how many people elope in/to Vegas every year (thousands if not more), so she may be doing 5 cakes a week for costs only, and as some of you know 3 tier cakes are high in costs especially if you live in an expencive area such as Vegas.

Just because she's doing freebies doesn't mean she's bad. Is it because she may be stealing your clientel that yall are gettin so worked up? I doubt it unless you live near her that that would be the case. Leave the woman alone let her be.

No one asked anyone to critique her skills, she knows she isn't as good as Collette Peters or anyone else, but she is stating the truth, she wants/needs practice so she's doing it for costs. No one asked anyone to say how flawed her cakes are or point out obvious flaws... Just makes me wonder everytime someone posts a cake here on CC are yall doing this secretly in your homes? Looking at your monitor and saying how ugly the cake is and then posting that it's pretty or just by passing and laughing at how unskilled they are? Makes me sick there are people like that around here.

Very well said!!!!!!!!!!

Ditto!!!

woodyfam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodyfam Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 11:58am
post #32 of 205

I think the site is great. I imagine she is or will be flooded with people asking for her to make cakes. They look great to me and while I may be naive, she sounds sweet.

Mandica12182 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:01pm
post #33 of 205

I have to say that I totally agree OhMyGoodies!!

I think that she's doing a good thing, and if I wasn't afraid of getting overwhelmed or caked out I'd love to offer this too! I actually do most cakes at cost anyways, I just don't advertise!! As long as it doesn't make her lose money....what's the big deal...she even stated on her website that you could go to grocery store and buy the same cake...it just wouldn't taste so good and be personally designed for you! It seems like a win win situation if you ask me!!

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:14pm
post #34 of 205

I for one, have done many cakes for free since starting to decorate. My friends and family can't eat anymore cake. I'm always looking for an opportunity to make a cake for more practice. I think her idea is great and hope she get tons of emails. As far as not understanding how she does it, I'm self employed, decorating is a hobby I love, I don't charge for my cakes, but I'm not rich so getting the cost of the ingredients would be great. I don't think anyone should judge until they know the entire story.

donnalane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnalane Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:22pm
post #35 of 205

I never knew that someone doing something for free would cause people to say some wild things, I think her doing cakes for free to get experience is awesome. I myself have already done a free wedding cake and several b-day cakes for free to gain valuable experience, and plan to continue to do so until I have built up my experience further. I am completely legal but this was a way to help others while getting experience and building my portfolio. With every cake I have given I have been blessed 10 times over. We do live in a world that is all about money, so I guess something like this just kinda freaks people out.

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:23pm
post #36 of 205

I think its great that she can do this... I have heard of others charging for supplies and cake pans and stuff, to help boost up there inventory while just getting started out. I do have to say that I have seen her "colors" cake on CC Im not sure who made it but its the cake with pink, yellow, orange, white layers.. I am going to look for it and PM that person to see if they are the same people. I know I have seen that cake before becuase I admired it...I hope this is not another cake of photo stealing.. Im not saying that yet because I have to find the picture. But that would explain alot..

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:31pm
post #37 of 205

Her reason in her webpage is that it is her hobby.
Besides cakes, I am a painter. If someone told me that they would buy my canvas, paints and supplies, and if I had the time....I would paint for them until my arm fell off. What a great way to practice what you love.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:34pm
post #38 of 205

Tnuty I too remember seeing a cake similar to her colors one but figured she was a member of CC and that she had posted it her self... I believe it's in my favorites I'll have to take a look icon_smile.gif

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:41pm
post #39 of 205

I think most people that posted are not negative on this. My "I want to shake her" comment is based on the fact that she is so talented--and not being paid for hours and hours of work involved. I guess its easy to be skeptical of something that seems too good to be true--but perhaps she is just that. I for one need to be paid for the lack of sleep...so that I can at least buy good concealer to cover the dark circles under my eyes!

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:45pm
post #40 of 205

Elvis hun I wasn't referring to your comments hun I knew how you meant them icon_smile.gif

elvis Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 3:44pm
post #41 of 205

OH no.... not again.... icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_sad.gif

Mandica12182 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 3:59pm
post #42 of 205

Why do people think it's okay to do this crap?? The picture stealing I am NOT okay with!!

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:00pm
post #43 of 205

I hate to jump in to the mix-but... i had wondered about that, i recognize this cake from Martha stewart- because I saved it to poss. do for my sis's wedding cake -it has brown sugar meringue s's on it and the pic will only load to a certain size. she does have a similar cake on her front page that she may have done- but not sure perhaps there are some issues

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:03pm
post #44 of 205

NO comment...... I can see everyone's views. My motto is "Whatever it takes" I fyou are serious about building a business, you will need to scarifice a few freebies now and then.

lilmansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmansmum Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:05pm
post #45 of 205

Well now it looks like she's not so sweet and innocent as was previously thought, huh? If she's willing to steal pictures, it certainly makes me question her motives. icon_confused.gif

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:11pm
post #46 of 205

are we sure she's not the same person on CC and that website??

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:11pm
post #47 of 205

WAIT... before we start accusing and jumping to conclusions, has anyone actually asked beccakelly if she is the lady behind the free wedding cakes? Or if she gave her permission to use the photo.

OhMyGoodies, did you happen to find out? I think you mentioned you were going to ask.

I have no problem with her doing them for cost, I also have no issues with her talent level. I think it is a cool thing to do if it works for her!

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:14pm
post #48 of 205

I want to apolgise if my comments offended anyone. They were not meant in a nagative way. Just simply stating my opinion.

Looking at her pictures, there are many styles and techniques there.

1. Each painter has their own unique brush strokes. So do decoraters. Each of hers was different which lead me to believe that they were not all her cakes.

2. Sometimes things that are too good to be true-- really are!

3. Building a portfilio is not a bad thing. When starting off, doing cakes for supplies and experience is a wise move. Most of us started off doing free ones for families and friends. Not much difference.

4. I believe a good business should be built on honesty. If you "borrow" another persons work and pass it off as yours, it's not honest. What does that do to the reputation your portraying?

Again, I apologise to anyone offended, but I am an outspoken person. While I admire her determination, I do not admire the dishonesty. I have also considered doing free cakes to build my portfolio/ supplies. But I will NEVER say someone elses work is mine.

tye Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:14pm
post #49 of 205

i agree crislen.. my friends and family are sick of my cakes .. almost to the point of some folks saying negative comments.. so to have a way to practise in a real life situation, instead of on dummies would be great...

itsasweetthing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsasweetthing Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:18pm
post #50 of 205

Cake Photo #27 is my cake, very flattered that she chose to borrow one of mine but the funny thing is, I wouldn't say it's my best. LOL

Cynita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynita Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:24pm
post #51 of 205

Is this why this world could be such an evil place.....all of the negativity. Thanks to Trent and OHMYGOODIES, people like you and I keep this little old world going around. Now, do you see with some of the negative comments made, they could have been made toward someone that may be a member of this site. I hear people say all the time, that they are very outspoken, but being outspoken in a negative way don't make it right. You can always turn that into something positive. Being outspoken doesn't have to hurt one's feelings.
Much love,
Cynita

meancat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meancat Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:28pm
post #52 of 205

this thread is cracking me up....at how many people look at the comments in a negative light.... have you all ever heard of constructive criticism? She she is doing what she likes and is trying to get some good expierence, I'm sure she would like to know if she can find ways on improving her skills. I guess some people on here would rather be lied to about their cakes then get the truth.... sorry I dont fall into the lying/fake catagory. If my cake needs help, I would like to know it does, so next time it will be better. I'm sure no one wants to offend everyone, because everyone on here is super nice and rocks...

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:31pm
post #53 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsasweetthing

Cake Photo #27 is my cake, very flattered that she chose to steal one of mine but the funny thing is, I wouldn't say it's my best. LOL

Ouch... ok, now we have confirmation. That really sucks... seems as if they are a member here, they should know it is wrong to steal photos.
I do however love that cake itsasweething - very unique, yet very elegant!!

*sigh* something good again turns bad.

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:32pm
post #54 of 205

LOL! I finally, finally, FINALLY had a picture of one of my cakes stolen. It's "Cake10". I'm laughing out loud because if just FIGURES that the only time my cake picture would be used is when it is offered FOR FREE. LOL! I'm humiliated. icon_smile.gif

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:37pm
post #55 of 205

O man, yep, those are lifted pics. Sheesh, at first I thought well maybe she had made these cakes and copied them from pictures she's seen but nope fraid not. They are the exact same pics lifted from here on c.c. Good grief!!!!
And here I was all ready to give the lady the benefit of the doubt, but did a bit more research n my hopes were dashed.
The idea is great if she has actually done these cakes, but the execution of her idea like totally sux I tell ya!!

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:38pm
post #56 of 205

I knew it...that cake looked so familar. I will PM the "owner" of that cake and let her know..

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:38pm
post #57 of 205

I just saw a cake on her website that someone I know did.
That's extremely wrong!!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:41pm
post #58 of 205

BeccaKelly live in Cincinnati, Ohio so it can't be the same person

elvis Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:41pm
post #59 of 205

Lisa MS- you are funny. Nobody's ever stolen my pictures--I guess I'll just have to work harder! icon_wink.gif

tye Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:41pm
post #60 of 205

ok.. WOW.. now what??? are you going to confront her?? surely.. i am a supporter of her idea.. doing cakes for free but stealing photos ... H3LL NO!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%