Wanna Know A Secret?????

Decorating By daisyblue Updated 1 Oct 2015 , 12:02pm by CakeCrystals

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 9:32pm
post #361 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather1

Wow!!! Thanks for all the great tips! Now if I can just remember all of them. I only have one tip that I haven't seen posted yet. My instructors from my cake class told us this tip: store your powdered sugar in the freezer, it will cut way back on the dusting effect you get when adding it to the mixer. I love this tip, it saves me alot of cleaning time and sneezing! icon_lol.gif

That's a great idea! I'll have to try that! icon_biggrin.gif

BORIKS03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BORIKS03 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 10:01pm
post #362 of 645

Thanks for the thread. I'm new at this and any tips help. Thanks again

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 10:17pm
post #363 of 645

I haven't read all the posts so I hope this isn't a repeat.
Instead of buying forms or trying to lift petals with paper towels to dry flatter flowers like daisies, I put powdered sugar in a flat baking dish lay the flowers on top and use the powdered sugar underneath to bend the petals the way I want.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 11:18pm
post #364 of 645

I'm almost ashamed to post this tip because it seems so unprofessional but I've been doing it for over 15 years and it works!
I use zipper lock, quart sized freezer bags to decorate my cakes. Snip the corner of the bag and fit with a coupler and tip, fill, and your off! You can 'zip' it to keep the icing from backing up the bag. Clean up is a breeze. Just squirt out the excess buttercream, take scissors or a knife and cut into the bag to remove the coupler and tip, throw the zipper lock bag away. '
I have tried using the gallon freezer sized bags but for some reason, they won't hold the coupler as well as the quart bag.

CakeMom5001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMom5001 Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 11:37pm
post #365 of 645

Great Tips ... thanks for sharing!

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 11:45pm
post #366 of 645

Haven't finished reading all the post yet.
I don't sift my ingredients, instead I use a wire wisk and it breaks all the big clumps. I put all the dry ingredients in a bowl together and whisk or gently put pressure on the big clumps and they break up. I also mix my batter this way, don't use an electric mixer, cakes don't have a dip in the middle if you Dr. them. I also put my tips in the microwave, no more using that silly little tip brush. Also use cocoa powder or brown in my red and black to deepen the color and achieve it faster. If you measure oil measure it first and everything else will slide right out.

tokazodo Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 1:27am
post #367 of 645

Oh yeah! I almost forgot! One of the most coolest tips I have found yet!

To get straight lines on cake for decorating or for writing:
Use a laser leveler. It used for construction for leveling things. I was able to get 2 battery operated levelers online for less then $20.00. You can probably find them at the hardware store.
You just set them in the direction of your cake, turn them on and poof! You have nice red lines across your cake to help you center and write on! Turn them off, and the little red lines are gone!

This is probably one of the most useful tips I have ever found, cake decorating wise!

hth

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 1:38pm
post #368 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokazodo

Oh yeah! I almost forgot! One of the most coolest tips I have found yet!

To get straight lines on cake for decorating or for writing:
Use a laser leveler. It used for construction for leveling things. I was able to get 2 battery operated levelers online for less then $20.00. You can probably find them at the hardware store.
You just set them in the direction of your cake, turn them on and poof! You have nice red lines across your cake to help you center and write on! Turn them off, and the little red lines are gone!

This is probably one of the most useful tips I have ever found, cake decorating wise!

hth

I'm SOOOOOO kicking my hubby's butt. He's in construction & should have told me this, LOL. Thanks for the tip!

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 2:40pm
post #369 of 645

The seed trays you can get from the pound shop that have 24 cells in them are great for transporting ice cream cone cupcakes in stops them from toppling over when you are icing them too. I used a non slip material under them brought from the same shop to transport in the car .

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 3:29pm
post #370 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

I got a little carried away after taking the Wilton Master Course this summer, buying several sets of shaped pans. I got home and realized I had nowhere to put them! I bought a box of those storage-size Ziploc bags. After washing all of the pans and making sure they were completely dry, I put them in the bag, zipped it shut, and slid it under the bed. Now, they're out of the way and always clean for immediate use!

I've been wondering & wondering WHAT to use to store my cake boxes & larger boards, right now they are in the large bag from the store, but I worry because they sit out that they could get dusty, now I'm going to buy those XL ziplock bags, if they still make them, if not a "space bag" would work (bet they're pricey though).

princesscatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscatt Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:18pm
post #371 of 645

Don't know if this a tip or just OCD. icon_smile.gif I have tried so many vanilla scratch cake recipes and failed that once i got it just right I know put a small amount of batter in a tiny corel bowl and bake it with my cake so i have a tester to make sure each batch is perfect.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:33pm
post #372 of 645

freeze extra cake batter in a large baggie, or right in cupcake liners. thaw and bake. Works great!!

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:49am
post #373 of 645

This is more for gumpaste work... I keep an Exacto knife handy. Especially with stamping letters - I DESPISE rough edges. The exacto knife gives nice clean lines.

Msjckson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Msjckson Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 3:20am
post #374 of 645

Hopefully no one has already posted this one.. its a tip I discovered in hurry one day when I really didn't have time to wait for frosting I put in the fridge to soften.. When dying frosting black put the frosting in the microwave until just about bubbly and almost liquid form, add black die in small amounts and stir. The frosting will taste just as it does with other color dye and not have that nasty taste. However, it will be completely black. After mixing put in the fridge or if you have time let set on the counter to obtain the original consistency. It's perfect when needing small amounts of black or for writing. Also works well with red, no more waiting days for the red color to set in.

cress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cress Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 3:28am
post #375 of 645

when makin mmf if u need a dark color add food coloring to the marshmallow b4 u add the sugar that way ur base is darker and u get the right color faster

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 3:39am
post #376 of 645

I'm glad this forum showed up on the home page a few days ago; this has been great reading.

I just decorated a cake and used the tip for adding piping gel for writing and leaves and it sure did help.

When I took a class the teacher had us to put our tips in boiling water/dish detergent for a few minutes like has been mentioned but............we also put the bags in for a few seconds also. It really cuts the grease.

Thanks all.

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 7:53pm
post #377 of 645

I'm the world's worst at leveling so when I bake I always use the Bake Even strips. When the cakes are done I take them out, let them rest about 5 minutes, turn them out on the counter which is lined with wax or parchment paper, place the same pan (bottom down) on top of the cake and put some weight in the pan i.e. a can of Crisco, coffee, etc. and let it "compact" for about 5 minutes, then wrap and freeze. Totally level!! By the way this site is the BOMB! thumbs_up.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 8:18pm
post #378 of 645

Wow, all these info is awesome!!!!!

cardicard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cardicard Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 8:28pm
post #379 of 645

Fantastic tips, my hand is aching writing them all down. But well worth it.
BearLuvsCakes suggested having the same size baking tins so you can bake a couple at the same time.
Do they take longer to bake if there is more than one? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

cardicard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cardicard Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 8:43pm
post #380 of 645

I always cut lots of circles and strips of geaseproof paper for lining my baking tins, and write the size of the pan they are for with an icing pen and store them. They are then ready when needed and saves a lot of time when baking. icon_biggrin.gif

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 9:00pm
post #381 of 645

this is a great thread.. glad it came back.. always room for more advise and tips!!!!

My tip would be that I always freeze my cakes and I ice them partially frozen. It is so much easier to work with!! I don't know if I could ice one completely thawed anymore!!!

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 9:02pm
post #382 of 645

I don't remember if I have shared mine on this particular topic... so if this is a redo forgive me:

For those of you who work with MMF... to avoid the aggrivating and painstaking chore of scrubbing MM off the bowl and utensils you use... just fill the bowls with warm water and let them sit. After an hour or so, the MM will just wash right off... no sticky, no scraping. Works especially well if you liberally grease everything you use with Crisco.

Need a nice flat surface to roll your fondant and gumpaste on? I did too. So I called some local tile and granite places looking for a big chunk of granite to use. They told me to come look, and I did. They had big chunks of floor samples for granite no longer available. So the samples were really pointless. He let me take my pick of them... I ended up with a 36" x 26" piece of 1/2" granite... FOR FREE. Guy said there was no reason to sell it, it wasn't big enough for anything and they have no more of it left. Now not everyone may just give it for free... but I'm sure you could get a good deal on it. Beats trying to find a marble rolling board!

And yes, I have read through a lot of these and there are some fantastic ideas! Keep them coming!

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 9:12pm
post #383 of 645

I bet this one has been said before -

I take a damp clean dish towel and gently wrap my mixer when using powdered sugar.

I like to use a sponge cake pan (hinges) to layer my cake -then I chill and release the cake. It is perfect everytime.

I always dress in loose fitting clothing, put on inspiring music and kick everyone out! That is my BEST advice. icon_wink.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 9:16pm
post #384 of 645
Quote:
Quote:

I like to use a sponge cake pan (hinges) to layer my cake -then I chill and release the cake. It is perfect everytime.

Do you mean "springform" pan? Great idea. Wish I had one in every size and shape. icon_smile.gif

Dizzymaiden Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 9:18pm
post #385 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearLuvsCakes

My one tip would be make sure that you have a couple of each same size pan. It makes baking multiple cakes way faster. I have two of each size. At least I won't have to spend all day baking one at a time!

this is a good one!

tokazodo Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 1:28am
post #386 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyg

freeze extra cake batter in a large baggie, or right in cupcake liners. thaw and bake. Works great!!

Love this! Duh! Why didn't I think of this before!!!!

bchumley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bchumley Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:22am
post #387 of 645

Now that the unthinkable has happened, this seems like it should've been obvious from the start, but here goes...

For those who make & use simple syrups to brush onto torted cakes before filling: USE A SILICONE BRUSH!!!

I only use syrups for a couple of my recipes, and I served one of them last night at a family member's birthday dinner, when *GASP!* a pastry brush bristle showed up in my piece of cake. (I CANNOT imagine having to explain that to an upset bride!! Thank goodness it was for family and in my piece!) Never again...I immediately threw out all 3 of my regular pastry brushes and replaced them with silicone ones.

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:45am
post #388 of 645

That is a thought, I have not been very satified with my silicone brush. But sounds like it has its place afterall.

Dizzymaiden Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 1:09pm
post #389 of 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Quote:
Quote:

Do you mean "springform" pan? Great idea. Wish I had one in every size and shape. icon_smile.gif

Yes, it was on the tip of my tongue...I also wish I had them is every size!

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 4:15pm
post #390 of 645

Put on some music, whatever you're in the mood for. It helps keep down the "blue smoke!" tapedshut.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%