Wanna Know A Secret?????

Decorating By daisyblue Updated 1 Oct 2015 , 12:02pm by CakeCrystals

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 9:55pm
post #601 of 645

My tip is for cookies. I always got frustrated making cookie dough in my KA because the flour would always make a mess on the counter, so now I melt the butter and sugar in the microwave, add the eggs and flavoring, then mix the flour in by hand, which isn't hard since the butter is melted. If I use chocolate chips, I have to wait for the mixture to cool down or the chips will melt. (I learned this the hard way icon_redface.gif ) Once this is done, put it in a gallon ziplock bag and in the fridge overnight. It works for me but I'm sure it's not for everyone.

magicjulie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magicjulie1 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 5:34am
post #602 of 645

I don't know if its been added or not, but right after I frost a cake I spray water on it and re-touch it with the icing spatula. It makes the buttercream look smooth as fondant.

funpets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funpets Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 8:16am
post #603 of 645

this thread is a blessing,thank you.

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 8 Dec 2014 , 2:14pm
post #604 of 645

1) I get grocery store boxes and cut them up for cake boards (the softer the content, eg marshmallows, the sturdier the box) I get a size of each cake box (8, 10, etc) and fill them with cut to sized grocery box boards.

2) I do the same with paper for my different sized cake pans.

3) I try to have an extra (in storage) of anything I use OFTEN....yes, I DO have an extra stand mixer.....

Marielijah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marielijah Posted 12 Dec 2014 , 12:35am
post #605 of 645

Great tip!  Never heard that one before... Thank you.

hunni1531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hunni1531 Posted 12 Dec 2014 , 3:13pm
post #606 of 645

A

Original message sent by didavista

Awesome tips. Wish I had one to share. Thanks to everyone else for sharing.

Being a newbie makes these hearing all these wonderful tips exciting. Thanks everyone

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 12 Dec 2014 , 9:53pm
post #607 of 645

AHas anyone ever done this before? I recently made 60 red gumpaste roses. I used Wilton plastic rose cones so that I could hot glue them to tooth picks so that the the roses could be inserted into a cake. I notice the centers of my roses had popped open and you could see the white cone every so slightly, but you could see it. Well, I rolled a piece of red gumpaste into a real skinny snake, chopped tiny pieces. I stuffed one piece into the center of the rose with the tool that has a sharp, skinny point and voila' , it looked like a rose again. I hope this help someone, cause I was not about to remake roses (LOL)!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Dec 2014 , 6:01pm
post #608 of 645

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamSquad 

Has anyone ever done this before? I recently made 60 red gumpaste roses. I used Wilton plastic rose cones so that I could hot glue them to tooth picks so that the the roses could be inserted into a cake. I notice the centers of my roses had popped open and you could see the white cone every so slightly, but you could see it. Well, I rolled a piece of red gumpaste into a real skinny snake, chopped tiny pieces. I stuffed one piece into the center of the rose with the tool that has a sharp, skinny point and voila' , it looked like a rose again. I hope this help someone, cause I was not about to remake roses (LOL)!

I hate those rose cones, they're too slippery. You can use chocolate kisses for centers, too, or just use up extra fondant by making cones out of them on toothpicks and letting them dry. Then store them until you need them. I use up a lot of random gumpaste colors that way, and the gumpaste doesn't go to waste.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 13 Dec 2014 , 6:22pm
post #609 of 645

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

[QUOTE name="HamSquad" url="/t/50039/wanna-know-a-secret/600#post_7566134"] Has anyone ever done this before? I recently made 60 red gumpaste roses. I used Wilton plastic rose cones so that I could hot glue them to tooth picks so that the the roses could be inserted into a cake. I notice the centers of my roses had popped open and you could see the white cone every so slightly, but you could see it. Well, I rolled a piece of red gumpaste into a real skinny snake, chopped tiny pieces. I stuffed one piece into the center of the rose with the tool that has a sharp, skinny point and voila' , it looked like a rose again. I hope this help someone, cause I was not about to remake roses (LOL)![/QUOTE]

I hate those rose cones, they're too slippery. You can use chocolate kisses for centers, too, or just use up extra fondant by making cones out of them on toothpicks and letting them dry. Then store them until you need them. I use up a lot of random gumpaste colors that way, and the gumpaste doesn't go to waste.

Thank Costumeczar for sharing, I never thought about chocolates kisses! That is such a cool way to make flowers. I've made gumpaste cones on tooth picks before, some stay on after drying some fall off. What do you use to glue them on tooth picks that really works? I really think I will go back to using the gumpaste cones. Long ago, there was a post on the internet about making flowers using round suckers, the petals were made from bubble gum. I have yet to try that too! Just sharing! Again, thanks!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Dec 2014 , 6:35pm
post #610 of 645

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamSquad 

Thank Costumeczar for sharing, I never thought about chocolates kisses! That is such a cool way to make flowers. I've made gumpaste cones on tooth picks before, some stay on after drying some fall off. What do you use to glue them on tooth picks that really works? I really think I will go back to using the gumpaste cones. Long ago, there was a post on the internet about making flowers using round suckers, the petals were made from bubble gum. I have yet to try that too! Just sharing! Again, thanks!

I don't mind if they come off, because you can always stick them back on or take the toothpicks out if you don't need them in there. But if you want to really stick them in just melt some candy melts and stick the toothpicks in them before inserting them into the cone (the dry cone after the toothpick has come out) the candy melts will fill the hole in and dry like cement.

easyaspie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
easyaspie Posted 13 Dec 2014 , 8:02pm
post #611 of 645

AThis might've been said already, but if your cake batter or icing or whatever has a yellow tint, add a touch of purple food color and it will become far more white. I loved this one !! Purple cancels yellow. Blue cancels orange

babyblue113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyblue113 Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 2:44pm
post #612 of 645

Quote:

Originally Posted by easyaspie 

This might've been said already, but if your cake batter or icing or whatever has a yellow tint, add a touch of purple food color and it will become far more white.
I loved this one !! Purple cancels yellow. Blue cancels orange

Whaaaaaat! I did not know this....I must try this.  great tip!

Dorothy11672 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dorothy11672 Posted 29 Dec 2014 , 3:02am
post #613 of 645

A

Original message sent by cncsmom45

Thanks for the many great tips. I recently tried microwaving tips to clean them and using the rose nail to bake with. Both worked really well!

My tip is probably common knowledge, but here goes:

When coloring buttercream (especially red or black), I find adding powdered sugar can help darken the color while stiffening the buttercream at the same time. You know, cuz adding all the food dye can thin the frosting.

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 29 Dec 2014 , 2:14pm
post #614 of 645

Here's my tip for getting evenly spaced scallops on any cake.  I use the paper rolls made for adding machines or cash registers and cut a piece that fits around my cake (doesn't matter if it is round or square).  Once I have the circumference of the cake I fold the paper in half, then in half again and keep folding it until it is the size I want the scallop to be.  Once it is all folded I cut the scallop once, unfold it, and wrap it around the cake and lightly mark the scallops.  Perfect scallops every time.

Cupcakegirl2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakegirl2005 Posted 29 Dec 2014 , 5:32pm
post #615 of 645

AMy wilton teacher taught me to add meringue powder to some buttercream and I can made rose ahead time, lay them on parchment paper store in Tupperware in fridge for later use

montrealkid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montrealkid Posted 2 Jan 2015 , 2:18am
post #616 of 645

I use Viva paper towel for smoothing sides and top of my cakes.  The underside of the Viva towel is smooth.

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 2 Jan 2015 , 9:32pm
post #617 of 645

I use a square cake and a round cake to easily make a heart shaped cake.

montrealkid Posted 2 Jan 2015 , 10:30pm
post #618 of 645

Very clever, never would have thought.  Thanks!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 3 Jan 2015 , 3:35am
post #619 of 645

Quote:

Originally Posted by indydebi 

This one is also the "DUH!" column, but having multiples of the same tip, like the rose tip and the writing tip.

And accidently discovering "grease only - do not flour" the cake pans. Cakes are beautiful, they come out of the pans easy, no "flour film" to mess up my icing, and the cakes rise higher when the pans are only greased, not floured.

@indydebi do you still do this?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jan 2015 , 5:29am
post #620 of 645

Yep.  To catch folks up, after I closed the shop, I went back to school and got my teaching degree to teach high school history.  But since I had a catering background, I was hired to teach high school cooking (nutrition and wellness) classes.  I teach my kids to bake cakes this way!  :-)

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 1:10pm
post #621 of 645

Here is my tip...

This is for those who frost with whipped cream but use fondant or gumpaste decorations or accents.

We know how fondant and gumpaste melt with the moisture of whipped cream, so to stop the melting process I brush a light coat of melted chocolate on the back side of the decoration. Just a thin layer to cover most of the decoration. You don't have to go all the way to the edge or it will just squish out when pressed onto the frosting. Press onto the cake surface until it sets. Also, if your cake is chilled, the chocolate sets much quicker so you don't have to hold the decoration as long.

The chocolate should be tinted to match the color of the frosted cake so it is not as noticeable should it squish out.

The chocolate acts as both a barrier from the moisture and as a glue.

This works like a charm!

gdeosaran Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdeosaran Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 4:34am
post #622 of 645

Here's my tip, learn how to make cake fillings or buttercreams using egg yolks and egg whites separately, I'm always either only using yolks or white separately in some cake recipes, so instead of throwing them out I make the filling or the buttercream with it.  

SO when i make a white cake I use the left over yolks to make a french buttercream filling that can be flavoured anyway and it can also be lightened with some whip cream.  When I make yellow cake I use yolks only, the whites are then used to make SMBC or IMBC.  I usually plan my cakes so that I do not waste the eggs this way, I am lucky in that people usually give me the freedom to choose the cake type mostly.

Wildeflour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildeflour Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 12:21pm
post #623 of 645

Hello there! You posted a thread about wholesale a while ago and I was wondering how much did you charge the car dealer that was buying 300 cookies a day. I know it was a few years ago but I just want to have an idea since I'm really interested in going wholesale especially with my cupcakes. Also do you have any tips on how to get wholesale orders? For cupcakes I mean. Thank you

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 4:16pm
post #624 of 645

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildeflour 

Hello there! You posted a thread about wholesale a while ago and I was wondering how much did you charge the car dealer that was buying 300 cookies a day. I know it was a few years ago but I just want to have an idea since I'm really interested in going wholesale especially with my cupcakes. Also do you have any tips on how to get wholesale orders? For cupcakes I mean. Thank you

This was prior to 2009 and I charged $3/dozen = $1500/monthly invoice.  Understand..... the ability to charge $3 for my $4.50 cookies was because of the high volume.  I was able to buy flour in 50lb bags instead of 5lb bags ($.0015 cents per cup instead of $0.15 per cup); Eggs in high volume at $.09 cents per egg instead of grocery store pricing of $0.21 per egg.  To qualify for wholesale pricing, the order had to be large and consistent and enable me to save money on my purchase of supplies.

Wildeflour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildeflour Posted 14 Jan 2015 , 4:31pm
post #625 of 645

Thank you so much! Tha cheapest flour I found is 0.05.  If you have time please give me some ideas of how to get wholesale customers.

montrealkid Posted 14 Jan 2015 , 6:39pm
post #626 of 645

For the best tasting fondant, I use 1-1/4 lbs of pre-made fondant, softened, to 1/2 cup shortening, 2 tablespoons warm water, 1 lb. of melted campfire marshmallows, and 2 lbs. powdered sugar.  I mix all the ingredients except the fondant and then add it to the fondant at the end. Knead very well until it is stretchy and smooth.  The flavoring is much better than purchased fondant.  I separate it in portions and color with gel as desired.  It can be kept in a zip lock bag for months at room temp.  Warm it and knead again before use.  (If you want another flavor than marshmallow you can add the flavoring when you are mixing the shorenting, water, and marshmallows.)

CookieNibz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieNibz Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 7:03pm
post #627 of 645

AHere is VERY VERY helpful hint, that saves me a ton of time. I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't think of this & have been wasting a lot of time, as I have just learned this.

Before loading your icing into piping bag,drop the amount needed onto saran wrap. Wrap the saran around it, twisting it into a log. Put one end of it down through your bag & pull down through your opening (where your coupler or tip is going to go). Trim excess saran wrap&viola, your ready to post art piping & no need to clean your bag or inner coupler. Want to use a different color, just take out saran wrap & reload a different color. ALSO no morekeeping your royal icing bags & buttercream bags seperate or scrubbing your bags for fear of any grease being left behind. You can now reuse your bags as often as you like, the environment & ocean wildlife will hold parades in your honor.... Ok maybe I exaggerated that last part. ;)

montrealkid Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 9:19pm
post #628 of 645

I've been doing this for a while after spending a fortune on new piping bags.  Now I have a couple of really good ones that will last forever.  I am glad you are posting because this is a great tip.  

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 10:22pm
post #629 of 645

No biggie here but use Mother Nature for your food colourings, takes a bit more work but beetroot for red/pink, violas ground down for blue. cornmeal for yellow

and herbs such as mint for green.

Get those pestles out girls and colour without E No's for 2015.

Okay we have to rethink the sugar/liquid ratio but what a selling point for the ones in business.

Cheap cake lady sells to her own kind and the serious ones sell to the rest?

montrealkid Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 10:36pm
post #630 of 645

Wouldn't that affect the flavor?  Especially the mint!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%