Wanna Know A Secret?????

Decorating By daisyblue Updated 1 Oct 2015 , 12:02pm by CakeCrystals

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 9:08am
post #631 of 645

Not really, as you would use a dribble (from a dropper) of vodka to preserve these colourings in small quantities. I've never used the green for example in anything but a covering like buttercream or fondant and the overall sweetness of both these coverings masks the taste if any remains after boiling down. Anyway all my lot like mint lol!

The consistency of the colour is exactly the same as the ones from the shop.

montrealkid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montrealkid Posted 21 Jan 2015 , 1:25pm
post #632 of 645

Thanks for the info.

beachandsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachandsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachandsweets Posted 5 Feb 2015 , 11:00pm
post #634 of 645

Would this work in royal icing or probably not? I'm thinking it would affect the texture and I might need to add more water but otherwise I don't see why not. I love matcha powder and you gave me a great idea!

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 9 Feb 2015 , 10:44am
post #635 of 645

How to stabilized whipped cream with Marshmallow

Stabilized whipped cream with marshmallows

• 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 2-3 jumbo marshmallows, or 1 heaping tablespoon marshmallow fluff

Note: Do not use mini marshmallows, as the cornstarch frequently added to them to keep them from sticking in the bag may act as a deterrent in the melting and mixing process.

Step 1: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form.
Step 2: At this point, stop the beaters and make a decision. Either melt 2-3 jumbo marshmallows or a heaping tablespoon of marshmallow fluff by heating in the microwave in 5 second intervals until melted. Stir gently until you have a gooey, thick mixture.
Step 3: Add the melted marshmallow to the whipped cream, and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.

KarinasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarinasCakes Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 7:57pm
post #636 of 645

I learned this from Lindsay Ann Bakes on youtube, when you fill your piping bag (not disposable), instead of putting bc or whatever directly into the bag, I put however much I need onto a piece of plastic wrap then roll it up and put it in the bag that way its not as much to clean up for the piping bag itself!

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 5:59pm
post #637 of 645

make your own cornstarch puff...

great for dusting counters when rolling out fondant, dusting fondant surfaces, dusting molds...produces a superfine powder application. 

get a pair of knee-high nylons, white color, unused. wash with dish soap and completely dry them. put one inside the other, tie toe end in a knot, fill with cornstarch, and tie off top.

CookieNibz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieNibz Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 1:03am
post #638 of 645

This may not be a secret to anyone else. I have found that any recipe that calls for melted butter (or any recipe you can sub melted butter) it REALLY enhances the flavor if you brown the butter, stove top, first. It made a noticeable difference.

CookieNibz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieNibz Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 1:09am
post #639 of 645

Great idea, but why on earth would I NOT want to nibble ;)

melioka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melioka Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 5:38am
post #640 of 645

loving this thread

montrealkid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montrealkid Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 1:51pm
post #641 of 645

I saw someone on Youtube making buttercream flowers (roses, dahlias, etc.) using a marshmallow cut in half on a skewer.  I tried it but cut my marshmallow in three, then placed it on the cake with the marshmallow and it worked really well.  Much easier than the nail.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 6:04pm
post #642 of 645

When measuring honey or molasses, spray cooking oil into measuring cup before putting honey or molasses in measuring cup. When you pour it out of the measuring cup, all of the honey/molasses comes out easily, no mess left in.

visnja123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visnja123 Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 7:33pm
post #643 of 645

Make sure it is food grade

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 6:41am
post #644 of 645

My newest friend is a battery operated sifter! No mess! Can pour with one hand while the flour, sugar, etc., is sifting away. So quick and such a time saver for when I make my icing. Found it on Amazon for about $12!

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 1 Oct 2015 , 12:02pm
post #645 of 645

I have not heard of this, but I'm definitely gonna get one. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%