Calling All Aussies!!

Decorating By gingerkitten79 Updated 16 May 2013 , 10:35pm by derbyfour

LiliS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LiliS Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 11:30pm
post #691 of 1030

as for ironing... the first thing I told my husband when he moved in... I will do anything but I dont Iron....

YanaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YanaK Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 12:00am
post #692 of 1030

Wow, so many pages in one night! Ladies aren't you talkative icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Lots of info for the cake mixes. I'm impressed. I don't mind them for something quick, but I find they all have a lot if raising agent that gives aftertaste. I gave up using self-raising flour for the same reason.

Airbrushing thats still something from outer space.

Spent last night making Xmas Tree balls for donation. Toni, thank you for the comment! icon_smile.gif For whatever reason I decided to pad the bottom part and made them ellipse looking instead of round. Idiot! Just as well I have another 4 to try and make them look like balls. Then I didnt put gloves before mixing the color in, OMG my hands are all burgundy now. I had this beautiful picture of freehand scroll, but the artist died in me before I was born Yeh. Anyways, hope they will auction them for some money.

Does anyone have any tricks to stop hands from trembling when trying to paint straight line? Also, what do you use to wash brushes after Gold paint? I didnt realize it would not wash with water and soap.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:31am
post #693 of 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolevoorhout

Morning All!

I picked up my airbrush complete with compressor and courier delivery for $225. If you want me to look up the details of the seller let me know, I'm pretty sure they are regular sellers.

Umm what else oh yes I've seen Toni's roller on the Blossom Sugar Craft site, heheheh there's over $200 bucks of stuff sitting in my shopping cart, but I haven't used half the stuff I've bought so keep talking myself out of clicking the checkout button!

Oh and I don't understand that word i-r-o-n-i-n-g. Since my mum died and I have no one to tell me you can't wear THAT like THAT! I don't touch the thing. It's not all bad though, I just take an extra 5 minutes to hang stuff on hangers and the like when they are wet and they dry beautifully, no ironing required. Actually it's a prerequisite for any potential men in my life...... Hi I'm Nicole, Hi I'm [insert name], Interested? Sure! Good, do you iron? No...... *see Nicole's dust* hehehehehehehehehehehe!

I have the PERFECT YOUNG MAN for you Nicole....... my 18yr old son!! I refuse to do his ironing for him and then we argue most mornings at 5.30am about him going to work in un-ironed shirt & pants!! His attitude is - by the time he has been in the car for 1hr even his freshly ironed clothes end up looking the same as if he had never ironed them... my attitude now .. is if somebody at his workplace thinks that it is a problem THEN they will tell him!! I now spend my morning on CC and forget the arguement!!

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 4:02am
post #694 of 1030

icon_redface.gif Is a 35 year old allowed to date an 18 year old, is that legal? icon_lol.gif

gingerkitten79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerkitten79 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 4:09am
post #695 of 1030

hes legal at 16 icon_wink.gif mwahahaha!

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 4:31am
post #696 of 1030

Girls I need your help!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
I use waffle cones on top of turrets in my castle cakes and they keep unwinding when out for 24 hrs or longer. (unfortunately some customers want to collect them the day before using so the time frame can't change).
I have tried glueing them with royal icing, but then that seems to add too much moisture and they go all droopy.
I am just about to give up and use cardboard instead, but I REALLY want to use these cones because they give such a nice texture to it all.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what I could do to the waffle cones to stop them from uncurling once on the cake?

Thanks so much!
Curvy

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 4:57am
post #697 of 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumKitchen

Hey Toni - My husband didn't like my joke -
"Whats the difference between a teabag and a wallaby" - Teabag stays in the "Cup" longer!! hahaha - looks like we'll have to barrack for Argentina now!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ROFLMAO!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Oh, Oh... I think I'm gonna wet myself!! I'll have to try it on DD (she's the family sports nut), but not until I have my running shoes on!

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 5:54am
post #698 of 1030

So much to catch up on !! I didn't get an email about more comments added

Have you seen how few comments the English post has ? That will teach them for beating us in the "cup " !! icon_twisted.gif

Funny joke tho' Apple !! I must admit I'm a bit of a fan of our Wallabies shorts..ummm..team icon_wink.gif

There's only 1 little cake dec.place near me & she doesn't have a lot of stuff,so I'm always checking out the craft shops !! Got a few moulds & embossing mats etc.

Curvy,sorry I have no real idea to help with your waffle cones ! Freezing any good? no, probably go soggy..... icon_sad.gif

Ironing is such a dirty word !!! I don't do it.. icon_rolleyes.gif except when I really have to !!

Ginger, I thought green was a good colour for redheads ?

ApplegumKitchen Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 5:58am
post #699 of 1030
Quote:

icon_redface.gif Is a 35 year old allowed to date an 18 year old, is that legal? icon_lol.gif

Hey, I'm his Mother - 35 hell yeah!! AND a cake decorating Foodie as a bonus! Mum's happy! He is a good cook BUT still hasn't mastered the art of picking up the wet towel from the bedroom floor.

When HE gets married YOU get to do the CAKE!! lol

ApplegumKitchen Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 6:03am
post #700 of 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerkitten79

Morning ladies! Or afternoon for you toni! I agree wit you pam about the "homemade" cakes on this site, add a can of caramel filler, some coffee whitener.... i worry for americans and the amount of stuff they put in their cakes, did you see the cornflake candy thread, someone posted a recipe which had
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Karo Syrup
1 1/2 cups Peanut Butter
4 cups Cornflakes ... man thats alot of sugar! where as our equvalent is
4 Cups Corn Flakes
1/3 Cup sugar
90g Margarine/Butter
1 Tbs Honey ( thanks to feefs)

Anyways! Your daughters wedding sounds o so fun! my sister is engaged and already we have a bridezilla, she was engaged a month ago and wants to be married in april and doesnt seem to care where the money is coming from!
And also wants to put me and my red hair in emerald green satin! kermit much?? lol

Hey Nicole,

Just say very innocently - "oh, so you've brought the wedding date forward?!" - What? - 17th March - St Patricks Day
Go the Emerald Green - you will look GORGEOUS no matter what you are in!
I have been out and about looking for "Mother of the Bride" - eeeeeewwww - yuuuuuukkkkk - emerald green is probably better than what I have seen! I am so NOT the Vicki Marr - 3 piece lace suit type!!

mzsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mzsweet Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 6:25am
post #701 of 1030
Quote:

Morning All!

I picked up my airbrush complete with compressor and courier delivery for $225. If you want me to look up the details of the seller let me know, I'm pretty sure they are regular sellers.

Umm what else oh yes I've seen Toni's roller on the Blossom Sugar Craft site, heheheh there's over $200 bucks of stuff sitting in my shopping cart, but I haven't used half the stuff I've bought so keep talking myself out of clicking the checkout button!

Oh and I don't understand that word i-r-o-n-i-n-g. Since my mum died and I have no one to tell me you can't wear THAT like THAT! I don't touch the thing. It's not all bad though, I just take an extra 5 minutes to hang stuff on hangers and the like when they are wet and they dry beautifully, no ironing required. Actually it's a prerequisite for any potential men in my life...... Hi I'm Nicole, Hi I'm [insert name], Interested? Sure! Good, do you iron? No...... *see Nicole's dust* hehehehehehehehehehehe!

Thanks, I would would love to know, might put it on the christmas hint list icon_wink.gif

yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 6:46am
post #702 of 1030

Gee Whiz, do you guys have any idea on how many pages I had to read to catch up on. icon_eek.gif This post is better than any soapie on telly. icon_lol.gif

Well, managed to get 6 cakes baked on Saturday and fit in the cricket function Saturday night. (i.e translate to picking up drunk BF icon_rolleyes.gif )

Decorated 3 Saturday night and 3 Sunday night. Had DS 18th on Sunday so a whole bunch of boys watching Bathurst thumbs_up.gif Then had DD 11th birthday on Monday icon_biggrin.gif Fun times with the kids!! icon_biggrin.gif

Delivered 3 BD cakes on Monday to the same company. (I think they were over cake by the end of the day)

Mind you, I was so over cake and frosting by Monday night. Spent all day Tuesday cleaning my house from top to bottom, even managed to find icing sugar in the bookcase. The baby is a bandit for grabbing things and taking off with them without me realizing. icon_redface.gif

Ok, technical question for you all. How do you price for your labour? Do you charge a flat fee, per serving or per estimated hours?

Sorry for the length of this but as much I have flitted in and out due to the finger last week and then being busy over the weekend the only person I have caught up with was BarbaraK yesterday.

Have missed my Aussie family.

maria892 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maria892 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 6:49am
post #703 of 1030

PAM: & anyone else close by...

http://www.dijonfoods.com

They stock the Pettinice in 7kg box for $37.00 last time I bought it. They also have other yummy bulk stuff. Like nuts. And Asian ingredients. And gluten free. And meat. And oils. And a guy who cooks on Saturdays for taste testing.

I don't iron unless I have to. All my clothes are dried and then removed from the line and folded immediately. Shirts are hung on hangers and dried like that.

When I went to see my friend in Singapore she asked me every morning, do you have any ironing before we go out ? I would say no. By the end of the week she was really shitty and said why don't you need to iron and I do??? I said 'coz my clothes don't need to. And by the time we walk to the front kerb to catch a Taxi the heat will have steamed out any crinkles anyway...

If my husbands shirt is wrinkled - he'll wear a jumper. (doesn't work in Summer tho')

Ironing SUX.

I have another friend icon_surprised.gif who irons every Sunday (yawn) and actuall y matches up the skirt/pants with shirt / top for the whole week and places them in the cupboard like that. I'm like, Oh what is decent and doesn't look wrinkly (there could be joke there somewhere) icon_wink.gif

I'm lucky I can wear tracky daks to work if I want to.

thumbs_up.gif

nicolevoorhout Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 7:01am
post #704 of 1030

Re: Airbrush:

This is the ebayer: artdiysuppliesaustralia

but here's a link to exactly what I bought, brush, with two clip in bottles and a compressor, feel free to browse their store, but if you decide to go with another compressor, check to see whether the airbrush comes with it.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AIRBRUSH-STARTERS-KIT-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ270174483868QQihZ017QQcategoryZ141511QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I went with this one because it was half the price from the cake suppliers and it said it could be used for cake decorating (it has to have a low enough DPI, or whoosh cake all over wall!), when I used it the very first time I got a big piece of cardboard and whooshed it over that a couple of times, which is handy to do because sometimes if you put it down to do something then pick it up again you get a little spatter you may not want so spray the cardboard first and then when it's coming through finely turn to the cake and go!

Also invest in some cheapy facemasks, both times I was blowing blue and purple for a few hours afterwards! icon_redface.gif

LiliS Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 7:07am
post #705 of 1030

nicole, is airbrushing trial and error???? or can you find classes for it??

gingerkitten79 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 9:16am
post #706 of 1030

hey curvy... you could get cream horns and make your own out of gumpaste or something like that... i have cream horns, you could just roll it out and wrap it round and trim to size before it goes hard. then remove from cone.
Does that sound do-able and in the budget??

And cheryl, i hope to see miss Barbara on sunday!

gingerkitten79 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 9:19am
post #707 of 1030

Also, how do you get a cake to bake fairly flat? is there a tried and true method? I am going to do the brides cake and i'd love to keep it as level as possible without having to cut it ( this is the kitchen cake btw) so i can pipe buttercream rosettes on it.
Any ideas?

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 9:25am
post #708 of 1030

Hey Tish, will definitely be there on Sunday to pick up my new baby! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I find that putting a flower nail in when baking a big cake gives me a relatively level top on the cake. Also, as soon as the cake comes out of the oven, I use a board and smoosh the top down before turning it out on to a cooling rack.

gingerkitten79 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 9:37am
post #709 of 1030

Ok... flowernail... i'll give that a try. With the smooshing, doesnt it affect the texture of the cake?

BarbaraK Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 9:48am
post #710 of 1030

Don't forget to spray the flower nail first before you pour the cake batter. You don't want the flower nail sticking to your cake.

Smooshing does not affect the texture because I usually smoosh for about 15 - 20 seconds then turn the cake out of the tin. If you use the bottom of the cake as the top, it will be perfectly level.

Gotta tell you I am looking forward to picking up my Kenwood on Sunday. I was at work and was so excited and showed my friend a pic of the mixer off the internet. She printed the pic and cut it out and punched a hole at the top and made me wear it as a pendant on my chain! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif She said that she had never seen anyones eyes glaze over with happiness over a mixer. She made me wear the paper pendant for whole afternoon whilst in the school library and I wore it proudly!! Had to put up with a few strange looks from the schoolkids. icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mzsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mzsweet Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 9:53am
post #711 of 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerkitten79

Also, how do you get a cake to bake fairly flat? is there a tried and true method? I am going to do the brides cake and i'd love to keep it as level as possible without having to cut it ( this is the kitchen cake btw) so i can pipe buttercream rosettes on it.
Any ideas?

If you wrap a couple of layers of newspaper or brown paper around your tin it will rise more evenly, even so I make sure the tin is lined with a collar of glad bake higher than the tin then let it rise over the top and slice the top of the cooked cake off, presto, flat even cake.

yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 9:56am
post #712 of 1030

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif To funny BarbaraK. Mixer pendant, can you rub on it and send it to me maybe the vibes will rub off and I can get mine quicker.

Am so jealous........................... first you get into the cake class and now a shiney new mixer!!

Cheryl

BarbaraK Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 10:06am
post #713 of 1030

When I get my mixer I will rub on it and whisper to it and hopefully it will have a friend that can go and stay at your house. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

gingerkitten79 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 10:15am
post #714 of 1030

Aww thats so sweet Barbara! Will you wear it on sunday? I cant wait to meet you! I'm excited for you to tell you the truth! You will have to give us a blow by blow account on how it goes.

nicolevoorhout Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 10:19am
post #715 of 1030

Yes there are airbrush classes but they are just that it's not a how to airbrush a cake type class, it's how to use the airbrush. I'm sure one would be good to take, some suggestions I've seen on here are practicing on cardboard, using a child's colouring book to teach yourself to stay in the lines (that's obviously for more detailed work). For now I'm happy to stick to backgrounds and stencils, and then I'll see how I go! Try checking out your local community college for an airbrush class, or google airbrush classes in Australia.

Toniprev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toniprev Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 10:32am
post #716 of 1030

I woke up at had a sneaky peek at what you were all up to... it was 7am. Now... after taking my angels to school, baking a chocolate cake, and 40 hearts... wow... you have all been busy. We will all be thinking of Barbara and her weekend of baking she will be doing with her new Kenwood.!! Last night I made a caramel mudcake to go with the chocolate one this morning... so after cutting top off to level... have spent morning eating bit cut off!!! So not good for me...have just had to buy bigger size jeans... I really need more self control!!! Oh... next week back to my morning hour power walk... which I really enjoy when I am plodding along...

Husband now home for lunch... has realised I am doing cake... so as I type here, he is cooking himself a pizza... just as well he is self sufficient!!!

BarbaraK Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 11:05am
post #717 of 1030

Cuz you gave me such a great deal Tish, I will wear it specially for you. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

As soon as I get it home, I am going to take it out of the box and just admire it before I turn it on. With the 1200W motor, you will probably be able to hear it all the way from where you are!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

gingerkitten79 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 11:07am
post #718 of 1030

toni i see your eating of the offcuts and raise you a eating leftover cold ganache. mmmm and its lindt too... We need a drooling smily!

Toniprev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toniprev Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 11:11am
post #719 of 1030

My husband thinks I am dieting because i didn't want anything for lunch icon_surprised.gif He doesn't realise how sick I feel for my earlier cake binge!!!! icon_redface.gificon_cry.gificon_redface.gif

PAM, have just answere your other forum topic on high postage... you can email me directly [email protected] . Tell me what you want.. otherwise I will let you know all UK sites I have bought from.

This is what I should do while baking...... tapedshut.gif

LiliS Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 11:57am
post #720 of 1030

it kinda sucks the high prices for postage, but I found a great lady on ebay who will send me 10 impression mats for $14. Even in US$ that comes no where near the $200 you were quoted!

I emailed a few suppliers in the US and didnt even get a reply at all icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%