Calling All Aussies!!

Decorating By gingerkitten79 Updated 16 May 2013 , 10:35pm by derbyfour

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 11:42am
post #1021 of 1030

I have to admit that I am really heavy handed with the icing sugar and pretty much cover every mm of my bench with it! icon_lol.gif
I will try to do the small amount thing. I do think though that if I treated my fondant as roughly as the planetcake podcast lady does, then I would certainly rip it badly. icon_lol.gif Am I just uncoordinated icon_cry.gif or is she just incredibly good (although she would have to be amazing to work there anyway!)

chezz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezz Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 11:57am
post #1022 of 1030

Thanks for the help re: ganache coats. I thought of the hot knife bit, but wasn't sure. My problem is I worry too much about things rather than just going with the flow. It's good to talk to other people with more experience so that I know that I am doing mostly the right thing. Just wish I was as creative as you lot.
Thanks again
Cheryl

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 12:42pm
post #1023 of 1030

Hey girls, yes is the answer I think some of us have migrated over, at least for the Aussie chatting, although obviously you are free to post here still too! icon_biggrin.gif

And if you click my www link here it will take you to our forum, so you don't have to search this thread if you can't find your bookmark!

chezz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezz Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 1:56pm
post #1024 of 1030

I just noticed that my question posted twice, I didn't mean it to, don't know why it did. Sorry.

mzsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mzsweet Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:04pm
post #1025 of 1030

feefs another hint on your fondant, if you cake is an odd shape use a bit of plastic icing in your hand for smoothing. You will a little icing sugar in it to get a good sliding effect. If the RTR you coloured is to soft (as it sometimes can be) get a bit of the plain white RTR and use that with a little icing sugar to smooth down. I use it on all cakes I must admit.

RICKASH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RICKASH Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:45am
post #1026 of 1030

Hi Dana

I was in a cheap variety shop today and saw that they had basket weave placemats just like the bags in the second pic maybe you could use one of those. Sorry if someone has already answered this.

- Just caught up in some more posts and it seems Pam has already mentioned about the placemats. I guess great minds think alike.icon_wink.gif

-Thank you Deani for the nice comment about my roses.
Here is an updated pic of them. I added the silver bead border on the bottom to go with the borders that will go on the cake, and a couple of little hearts.
LL

danatnt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danatnt Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 2:11am
post #1027 of 1030

Thanks Kelli, I have looked in a couple of cheap shops and havent found the plastic placemats yet icon_sad.gif . I have another one to try this arvo. Hey and your roses look really good thumbs_up.gif , I can't wait to see the whole cake!

maria892 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maria892 Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 10:21am
post #1028 of 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolevoorhout

Hey girls, yes is the answer I think some of us have migrated over, at least for the Aussie chatting, although obviously you are free to post here still too! icon_biggrin.gif

And if you click my www link here it will take you to our forum, so you don't have to search this thread if you can't find your bookmark!

Nicole... can you make sure you make a post every page so when I check the latest goss I can find the website without having to back track. OK???

icon_lol.gif

mumof3girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mumof3girls Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 7:25am
post #1029 of 1030

Hi all, another one from Australia here! I live in Melbourne. Have been decorating my kids birthday cakes for a few years but nothing spectacular! Would love to do some courses soon just looking into which ones seem good

I have read about the first 20 pages of this thread but its so long i think ill have to come back later on to finish it!!!

Hope to chat soon

Louise

derbyfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
derbyfour Posted 16 May 2013 , 10:35pm
post #1030 of 1030

The 15kg goes a looooooooooooong way!  There are instructions on the bag for the various elements so I guess that you would need to play around a bit.  I have put in the % for you so that you can play around with it.

3.000 white mud cake mix

0.525 (17.5%) eggs

0.800 (26.6%) water

0.425 (14.%) oil.

I have read recipes on line that 1kg and 300g chocolate makes an 8 inch cake.  I have used those recipes and they are pretty much right.

500g makes 24 medium size muffins.

One thing of note is that the cake needs to be cooked in a low oven at about 150degrees celcius for an hour to an hour and a half.  If you cook it low and slow you wont get cracking or sinking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%