Calling All Aussies!!

Decorating By gingerkitten79 Updated 16 May 2013 , 10:35pm by derbyfour

YanaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YanaK Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:39am
post #751 of 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylweddingplanner

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I cant get onto Nicoles forum. It keeps saying it doesnt exist, what am I going to do with the rest of the day???

It does not exist, I even PMed Nicole. If you get on her main page the forum is no longer there icon_confused.gif I was just about to ask where you guys get the brown paper for fruit cakes we were talking about earlier? and could not find the page any longer ...

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:14am
post #752 of 1030

Hey guys it should be fine I just went there myself. Because it's free it's a touch glitchy sometimes, even I have to click the link two or three times and then it loads properly, although I do believe freewebs are doing some upgrading so it might have been that but I swear I just went and had a look at some responses, and it worked.

OK, I just went to have another look before I posted this, I swear 5 minutes ago it let me look at some new messages, and it's doing it to me as well and actually I logged in and noticed some dodgy stuff going on ie my last photo isn't showing on my photo page etc, I think it's to do with their upgrades, I will keep trying to sort it out, just keep trying to get in!

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:22am
post #753 of 1030

http://www.freewebs.com/simplyirresistablecreations/forum.htm

Try here girls, I think they've messed some stuff around with their upgrade, a little while ago I noticed that it started saying www1.freewebs etc, but even I think they migrated their stuff somewhere else and are now migrating it back because the www1 pages get the don't exist message, so try the above link. Annoying but hey what do you expect from a free site! icon_biggrin.gif

Their premium packages are not expensive at all, if we do seem to use the site alot I will be happy to look into upgrading if we find we would like our own photo area, but that's down the line.

Obviously I want our site to be used in conjunction with CC not instead of, there's an enormous amount of good advice and inspiration here, I just wanted us and I think so did some you guys to have our own Aussie area, where we don't have to explain our humour and can swap Aussie suppliers, tips, ingredients, ideas etc.

Cheers m'dears
Nicole

LiliS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LiliS Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:23am
post #754 of 1030

Hi ladies!!

Can I just ask... is anyone else having problems reading comments on their posted pics here on CC?? I dont get many comments on my ameturish stuff and I got one yeasterday but all my comments have disappeared icon_confused.gif

Ta

Lili

YanaK Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:26am
post #755 of 1030

Nicole, if I press on your web page in the profile and look on the left hand side on the menu, there is no "forum" menu option any more ... It may be saved in your cookies and still displays the last shown page to you ???!! It surely does not work for me, doesn't matter how many times I try icon_sad.gif. Will see if others are luckier icon_smile.gif.

YanaK Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:30am
post #756 of 1030

All right, that link worked! Woo-hoo!

yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:35am
post #757 of 1030

Yana, I just clicked on Nicoles link above and it went straight to forums, but you are right it is not on the left handside of the page anymore.

Cheryl

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:44am
post #758 of 1030

Wow! By the time I read all the posts from the night before, I just about have to get off the computer and do more work! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Gingerkitten said

Quote:
Quote:

hey curvy... you could get cream horns and make your own out of gumpaste or something like that... i have cream horns, you could just roll it out and wrap it round and trim to size before it goes hard. then remove from cone.
Does that sound do-able and in the budget??

I had never heard of cream horns (had to google them) icon_redface.gif it's a great idea but they don't look big enough. I use the waffle cones you get in coles/woolies and they are a diameter of about 10cm or so.

I emailed the manufacturer and he suggested using a brush on "food wax" .
Does anyone know what a food wax is and where i could get some?

franjmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franjmc Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:07am
post #759 of 1030
Quote:

Oh Fran that stinks about people stealing photos.

Have you tried watermarking the photos.............. would that help to stop the problem that you have.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

I used to have my photos watermarked, and quite frankly I hate the way it hides the details, so I removed them all. That being said, some of the people out there doing this stuff will use watermarked photos as well!!!
I figure that if they're going to do it, a little watermark isn't going to stop them. icon_sad.gif
I had a friend send me a link recently to a CC member's website, and she had one of my cakes on her site. icon_eek.gif She is a really talented designer and has heaps of her own designs, when I questioned her she removed it immediately and said someone had sent her the photo of my cake, asked her to replicate it and hadn't had enough time to photograph her own version so she put my photo up instead!!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif She apologised and removed it but still, I wouldn't dream of taking someone else's wedding cake picture and putting it on my website because someone asked me to replicate one of their cakes! I'll take a photo of my own cake and post that! Some people are just plain stupid! icon_rolleyes.gif
Sorry, I'm ranting, back to the cake room for Franny now tapedshut.gif

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:17am
post #760 of 1030

Ooh! That is one subject that makes me look like a cartoon figure with steam coming out my ears! icon_mad.gificon_redface.gif
I too removed all but one photo here on cc because I was so tired of seeing websites illegally using other's pictures.
Not that my cakes are anywhere in the realm of yours Fran (I wish they were!! thumbs_up.gif one has dreams to aim for anyway!)
I get so cranky that the americans mostly seem to think it's okay to use someone else's cake photo if they nicely credit to the creator. I am a big meanie and think that they shouldn't do it at all because it is copyright infringement and illegal.

Yay, on a brighter note, I have just finished my last cake for the week!
I feel like doing the old fashion clocking off on the roster clock! (we used to have to do that at Ansett reservations many many moons ago! icon_lol.gif )

I still have to try this weekend to create a gumpaste shoe using Nati's instructions, for a breast cancer shoebox cake I am donating to a "field of pink women" day.
Wish me luck, cos I think i'll need it!

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:31am
post #761 of 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by YanaK

Quote:

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I cant get onto Nicoles forum. It keeps saying it doesnt exist, what am I going to do with the rest of the day???

It does not exist, I even PMed Nicole. If you get on her main page the forum is no longer there icon_confused.gif I was just about to ask where you guys get the brown paper for fruit cakes we were talking about earlier? and could not find the page any longer ...

Yana, I don't use the brown paper method any more - I've found that it can affect the size and shape of the cake a little. I line the tin with glad bake or similar, then fold up newspaper (about 4 leaves deep on a smaller cake, up to 8 leaves deep on a large cake) Then pin it on the outside of the tin. Also, pages under the tin.

That said, I really like Fran's idea of baking in a cardboard box!

Fran, do you shape the box to fit the cake tin, or do you allow an "air space" around the tin?

YanaK Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:56am
post #762 of 1030

Thank you, OzCookie!

I like the idea but afraid to use the cardboard. I have gas oven and the big tin I use to make 12 miniature cakes at once comes just about to the edge where the flame is. I actually bought those maggie strips and used them for tasting cake 6", but over the time it sat in the oven the strip dried out and got slightly browned. No more trying that for fruit cake .... Th esame would go fo rthe newspaper I'm afraid, too dengeros. Hm, may concider shortenning the time by 30 minutes and placing the tin on the lower level to stop it from getting a bit dark on the edges. Will try it next weekend.

franjmc Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:19am
post #763 of 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCookie

That said, I really like Fran's idea of baking in a cardboard box!

Fran, do you shape the box to fit the cake tin, or do you allow an "air space" around the tin?

Elena, I use a standard 12 inch box for most cakes, and then I've made up a "custom" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif box by cutting down two boxes and sticking them together for the larger cakes and also so I can bake more than one cake at a time, the more air around the cake the better, the tins should not touch the box or each other for best results.

OzCookie Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:41am
post #764 of 1030

Thanks Fran! Oh, the things you learn on CC! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

OzCookie Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:28am
post #765 of 1030

Quick question for you all! (Pleeeaaasse!)

Just checking a couple of American recipes - they refer to "granulated sugar". Would you guess that this is regular, or caster sugar?

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 7:03am
post #766 of 1030

I believe that granulaetd sugar is our caster sugar.

yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 7:23am
post #767 of 1030

Granulated sugar is ordinary sugar out here, the american equivilent for our caster sugar to them is superfine sugar. This is according to the link below.

http://www.foodsubs.com/Sweeten.html#granulated%20sugar

Cheryl

Toniprev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toniprev Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 8:45pm
post #768 of 1030

I am just about to go to bed.... exhausted. Finished my littlle cakes for wedding. 63 mini hearts + 2 for bride & groom slightly larger.... + 8 for the children's table.... so 73 all together. I just have to put ribbon around base of each one... but that can wait until tomorrow... wedding isn't until Sunday. I feel so good that these are finally finished. Will obviously post photo.... once I take them tomorrow!

I did take the odd break to catch up on you all and follow conversation...had to be careful not to get icing sugar all over the keyboard!!

gingerkitten79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerkitten79 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 11:12pm
post #769 of 1030

you poor thing toni! Cant wait to see the pics! Sleep well!

LiliS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LiliS Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 4:45am
post #770 of 1030

Hey ginger, can I ask what pans you used for your belly cake?? I'm dying to make one but I'm not sure what pans to use. Yours looks really amazing!!

gingerkitten79 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 5:17am
post #771 of 1030

thats a topper in my gallery, its actually styrofoam balls. i put it on top of a sheet. that was my first experience with gumpaste - homemade! What a nightmare! but it did look divine!
this is my current project
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b111/littlegingerkitten/Photo62.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b111/littlegingerkitten/Photo64.jpg
its going on top of my friends wedding cake... hes a biker and shes his moll!

franjmc Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 5:30am
post #772 of 1030

Hi everyone, I have finally come out from under the pile of fondant I've been under all week, I've delivered my final cake for the week and now I'm looking forward to a week with only one cake!!!!!!!!!!! Yay for me!!!!!!
So how has everyone's weekend been? Whatcha all been doing?

Toniprev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toniprev Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 6:13am
post #773 of 1030

Well, this morning I will deliver my cakes... up early due to my darling son jumping into my bed and then throwing up... he's not sick.. said he had a hair in his mouth...

well, he just did it again.. so maybe he does have a virus. THANK GOD cakes are finished and I have none this week!!!!

Apart from that my sister leaves Monday, so we will be feeling her absence after her being with us for 5 months. At least I won't have to wait my turn for the computer now! I will miss her though.

Last night the mother of the bride called to add 3 more children to list. I had 6 leftover heart cakes... but my sister kids had eaten... leaving just two....... luckily I had some cupcakes... so I pulled out a heart cutter and luckily it worked out ok. So after putting everything away... I had to pull it out again... at least it was only for 3. I then re-did the ones for the bride & groom... the silver initial looked more grey.. and I just wasn't happy to send them like that.... so I covered them in flowers instead.

will post them later... need to take one more photo... and when I woke it was still a little dark.

Toni xxxxxxx

chezz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezz Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 6:50am
post #774 of 1030

Oh the joys of motherhood, Toni! Glad pretty much all had been done, now you can relax. Look forward to seeing the pics. Hope your sister has a safe trip home.

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 7:04am
post #775 of 1030

Thats cute Gingerkitten whens your wedding in Coffs Harbour again?

Barky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barky Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 7:05am
post #776 of 1030

Hello fellow aussies. I am fairly new to cake decorating but have had a few orders so far. I can't believe how addictive cake decorating is. I dream about it at night and its all I think about during the day. Does anyone else suffer the same insanity? I look forward to chating to you all

chezz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezz Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 7:08am
post #777 of 1030

Fran, what is it they say about imitation being the sincerest form of flattery? Your talent must appeal to some people. I know myself, your pictures make me yearn for an injection of talent.

gingerkitten79 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 7:26am
post #778 of 1030

boring, my sister has decided that she will be having it at home now. So I get to bake and decorate at home now, in April. So i need to do cake for 110 people. Blah. Regretting saying yes to that!
How big would a cake have to be to feed 110 peeps?

gingerkitten79 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 7:27am
post #779 of 1030

Also welcome Chezz and Barky!

franjmc Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 7:58am
post #780 of 1030

A 5-7-9 inch tiered in round will give you 114 coffee serves.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%