Post Your Worst Cake!!

Decorating By ge978 Updated 23 Aug 2018 , 10:59pm by kakeladi

miniflowercake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miniflowercake Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 8:56pm
post #1231 of 1303

I was making a cake a few weeks ago and when I started to make the frosting for it (after I had baked the cake), I realized I had only 1 cup of powdered sugar left! I wasn't going to panic though, powdered sugar is basically just granulated sugar chopped into really little pieces, right? I put some granulated sugar into the food processor and tried to chop it up into powdered sugar... it didn't work. That was THE WORST cake I have ever done! The buttercream was disgusting and the cake looked like a ham when I covered it in the cake's filling to replace the buttercream. It was so embarrassing I didn't even take a picture. :oops: Thankfully, I was just experimenting with some new recipes that day, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. :grin:

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 1:10am
post #1232 of 1303

Quote:

Originally Posted by miniflowercake 

Thankfully, I was just experimenting with some new recipes that day, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. :grin:

Congratulations miniflowercake:  You are brave enough to Try things out For Yourself.

You went out of your comfort zone, made an adjustment, experimented, and are realistic about the result.  You can learn a lot by trying things, as well as reading and watching other peoples vids.

:detective: = :D

musicmommy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musicmommy1 Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 1:57am
post #1233 of 1303

OK- I'll play :) This was one of my first cakes and my first time to use any fondant decorations. My "banner", if you can call it that, totally sank into the cake overnight, the palm trees flopped and I got that ugly bulge from the filling. I learned a lot on this one!!! But in the end it didn't matter because my son thought it was awesome :smile: (It took me about a month to actually believe that- HA!!!)

Bt3138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bt3138 Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 2:43am
post #1234 of 1303

AThis has got to be the funniest thread on here. I'm over here crying (laughing)!

miniflowercake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miniflowercake Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 9:19pm
post #1235 of 1303

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Congratulations miniflowercake:  You are brave enough to Try things out For Yourself.

You went out of your comfort zone, made an adjustment, experimented, and are realistic about the result.  You can learn a lot by trying things, as well as reading and watching other peoples vids.

:detective: = :D

Aww, thanks! :-D I definitely learned from that experience to make sure I always have enough powdered sugar on hand. :) 

MBalaska Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 4:54am
post #1236 of 1303

alrightie then, havin' a laugh, I'll show you my first decorated-piped cake.  What a lopsided silly cake.

The first decorated-piped cake. I bought one pan a Wilton Star, one pastry bag and one star tip.  It is so lopsided and thin it's hilarious.  It's so old (early 80's) I had to scan a 35mm print.

ria123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ria123 Posted 11 Feb 2014 , 10:55pm
post #1237 of 1303

All of my cakes should be in here because I only like any of them for about 10 minutes then start to find so many things wrong with them! But out of all of them my train cake is my worst. It was a last minute idea and rushed and it is so messy and horrible I hate it. This was my 3rd cake I think, my dad loved it though :)

*Fathers day train cake, with edible steam and coal, my 3rd cake, cake number 3

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 11 Feb 2014 , 11:17pm
post #1238 of 1303

I hated this cake so much, but I was quite proud since it was my first 2 tier cake. Now that I look back I think its absolutely awful compared to what I can do now lol.

MBalaska Posted 11 Feb 2014 , 11:28pm
post #1239 of 1303

I think it's cool that you made a two tier cake, I haven't stacked one like that (not brave enough yet)

and haven't ever tried a train, and I Love Trains! so you gals are taking great beginning steps. Keep up the progress!!!!

[ My first cake was so embarrassed it deleted itself from the thread :o  Just kidding.  (I deleted a bunch and it was in the bunch) ]

ria123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ria123 Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 6:47pm
post #1240 of 1303

I have never tried a 2 tier either, it scares me a bit to even try one! I suppose I will have to try and get over my fear soon or I will never progress.

Some of these cakes are way too good to be in a  'worst cake' thread!

The train cake was great fun even the coal and steam were edible, I would love to have another go, but with more time and planning! :grin:

peewee1105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peewee1105 Posted 16 Feb 2014 , 5:34pm
post #1241 of 1303

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3187304/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

[B]I was making a purse cake. At one point I was so mad that I smashed right in to it. But on the and my cake was good. I had to make a new one do.[/B]

peewee1105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peewee1105 Posted 16 Feb 2014 , 5:41pm
post #1242 of 1303

AI had to make a purse cake. It was hard to do so I was at one point so mad that I smashed in to my cake. Now I call it smash cake :-)

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3187308/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

debcons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debcons Posted 16 Feb 2014 , 6:33pm
post #1243 of 1303

A[ATTACHMENT=1515]image.jpg (936k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Here's mine!

acakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acakedecorator Posted 16 Feb 2014 , 9:17pm
post #1244 of 1303

Ok, I'll join in the fun! I am having such fun reading all of the posts. I can't believe it was started so long ago. Is the thread starter still reading??

This is my worst cake so far. It was a birthday cake for my mom. I was pressed for time and just had to throw a few things together in the end. Hence, the uneven fondant stripes. The cake itself started to lean and fall over and the top was....well, you can see it. I hated the colors as well....I was going for deep green stripes, but I gave up after mixing in so many colors. I hate to even look at it...

PixieNibble Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PixieNibble Posted 17 Feb 2014 , 5:39pm
post #1245 of 1303

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3188097/width/200/height/400[/IMG]Oh my gosh my worst cake HAS to be my first fondant cake that I made as a practice for a birthday cake! I learned so much from that cake. Like use plenty icing sugar when rolling it and fondant shouldn't be uber thick! It was like a challenge to finish one of my slices when I served it up to various friends.

sbonham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbonham Posted 18 Feb 2014 , 4:06am
post #1246 of 1303

My worst cake was one I made for my mom and dad's 50th wedding anniversary. It was a three layer, heart cake. It was my first three layer cake. I had trouble getting the layers cut evenly. While taking it to the reception hall, the top layer slid about a quarter of an inch. I really did not know enough about stacking cakes. However, mom and dad were thrilled with the cake. Can't find a pic of it. Maybe better without it. 

Holstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Holstar Posted 18 Feb 2014 , 5:12am
post #1247 of 1303

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3188359/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

My first cake!! Was terrible but got me hooked

cheekypinksmurf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheekypinksmurf Posted 18 Feb 2014 , 1:20pm
post #1248 of 1303

ok in the spirit of this, and since I am trying to post more.....here is one of my shockers fromk the beginning of my journey

Sunburnt Care Bear *weep*

DutchessRhodora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DutchessRhodora Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 1:08pm
post #1249 of 1303

Hi All,

My worst cake was the one I made for my husband's 40th birthday...I can not post it here because its an open breast cake made of whipped cream and was falling apart. 8O:cry::oops:

I have few worst cakes made out of whipped cream.:oops:

But then I found and met fondant, since then fond of doing it and learning a lot more and more from great cakers. Salute!

nikki1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1227 Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 1:56pm
post #1250 of 1303

I feel like this is my worst one.  The little girl loved it, but I was not in love with this one. The fondant is sagging and I'm not a fan of the gray fondant on top.  I was scared to death that her mother would never order from me again, but she ordered 3 after that.  The best I could do was give her a discount(which she didn't want to take). Thank goodness for understanding moms!!

BakersGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakersGuy Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 3:37pm
post #1251 of 1303

I don't know what I was thinking/doing or anything.  Crumbs in my frosting, left off the word day on Birthday, the writing, I don't even want to talk about! lol.

jduiker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jduiker Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 6:19pm
post #1252 of 1303

Our Daughter was coming for a visit and bringing our one year old Grand Daughter. I wanted to bake her a cake but our oven was out. I waited until the last possible second and the part still hadn't arrived. So, I got the bright idea to buy a store bought cake with just the boarder around it and add a cute flooded royal icing transfer. The only "undecorated" cake I could find had a red boarder and I had already made a pink bunny. I took the cake home and realized that the bunny and grass barely fit the cake. I thought I could still make it work but when I put the transfer on and peeled back the paper I realized that the bunny looked....well...demented. It looks better in the photo than it did in person. I was seriously worried that our little Grand Daughter would be traumatized by the scary bunny. Thank goodness she wasn't but every time I say I'm going to do a transfer my husband asks ..."will it have eyes? You're not too good with eyes".  In person this pink bunny really was creepy. lol

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 7:30pm
post #1253 of 1303

I did this cake for my son's 16th birthday.  He loves paintball, so that is the theme I went with.  Cake is done in buttercream.  I had a hard time getting it smooth, as you can see!  If I'd have had more time, I'm sure it would have looked better!!!  He loved it!  So, that is all that matters.

Definitely one of my worst!  :-t

Nattycakes88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nattycakes88 Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 6:33pm
post #1254 of 1303

AHi all you beautiful cake people! My worst cake would have to be my first cake ever!!!!!

[[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3193966/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

What do you guys think?

Nattycakes88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nattycakes88 Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 6:35pm
post #1255 of 1303

AOmg lol it could have been worst!!!:smile:

CakelandMK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakelandMK Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 8:57pm
post #1256 of 1303

I love this forum :)

I was asked to do a Rapunzel cake so decided to practise faces. this is what my first attempt looked like! Horror! :D

CakelandMK Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 9:03pm
post #1257 of 1303

I know that feeling :)

CakelandMK Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 9:06pm
post #1258 of 1303

love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)))))))))

debcons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakelandMK Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 9:21pm
post #1260 of 1303

this just made my day :)))))) I wouldnt call it bad, I would call it abstract :))))

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%