Post Your Worst Cake!!

Decorating By ge978 Updated 23 Aug 2018 , 10:59pm by kakeladi

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:22am
post #1111 of 1303

I'm still reading through this thread, I'm only up to the 20s, but thought I'd go ahead and post ONE of mine.

Ok, I did this one um.. last week.. icon_redface.gif It wasn't meant for anything.. I want to make marshmallow fondant, but I don't know what fondant is supposed to feel like, so I never know if I'm doing it right. The last time I tried I rolled it out, cut the pieces I needed, set it out to dry and days later it was still very soft and pliable. It never dried out.. ( I will have to say it tasted fabulous, though)

Anyway, so I had some leftover wilton colored fondant (bought and never used, except for the red and blue that I used on the purple cake in my gallery), and I thought to myself.. Self: if you want to get the feel of it, then you just have to work with some that's already made. Soooo, I did, and boy did it come out crappy..

Wilton fondant cutters, well, they don't really like to cut.. and those bits of plastic sticking up at the top of the cutter, ouch. I did like using the ball roller thing, but I think I need a metal one. It seemed to have a seam or something that kept catching the fondant.

Embroidery, well... I think I should have read the directions on how to do it, before trying.. icon_rolleyes.gif

The rest was just trying to hide an error or twenty. Leftover icing, horrible flavor to it... (pssst.. don't ever add wilton chocolate candy oil to store bought icing unless you only use a drop)

Can you believe I've been decorating cakes off and on for 12 years? hahaha Well, I've never had a class, and I mostly did character shaped pans for family and friends for all of that. I only just started branching out to do a variety recently, with the exception of my sister's wedding/shower cakes and my own. I still need a lot of work, and it saddens me that I wasted so many years only doing one type of cake, but hopefully I can take some classes or something soon to help me out.

Sorry for such a long post.. just thought I should explain the monstrosity you are about to see!

So, without further a'do..

Tada!!!!!
LL

Hollyanna70 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 1:27pm
post #1112 of 1303

How do you like that? Mine was so bad it scared people away from the thread. icon_razz.gif

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 1:34pm
post #1113 of 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyanna70

How do you like that? Mine was so bad it scared people away from the thread. icon_razz.gif

I don't think scared them away - maybe blinded their eyes with the colors icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif
I didn't even take pictures of my horrible cakes too scared that the camera would break. thanks for being brave and posting yours.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 1:41pm
post #1114 of 1303

Well it's not as bad as my Worst cake!

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 1:43pm
post #1115 of 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

Well it's not as bad as my Worst cake!

Or Mine! See page 73!!!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 7:06pm
post #1116 of 1303

Yeah that was pretty bad! LOL

ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 10:42pm
post #1117 of 1303

Can I get in on the fun??? All I can say is some of your worst are better than most of my best!! But this one is one of my worst. I was lazy and not really in the mood to make this cake for my step dad. Anyway, I didn't torte it but I put filling on the top of both layers. When I went to stack it I realized the top of the cake was covered in filling. After I stoped laughing I cut the layer in half and then put the bottom on top icon_confused.gif For some reason the cing (meringue based) kept sliding off the cake and don't even get me started on the chocolate transfers. It was a nightmare from start to finish. I think I owe him one!!

caprica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caprica Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:44am
post #1118 of 1303

I haven't posted any of my cakes yet- still pretty new at this and not anywhere near the caliber of you pros.

...just want to add that I love this website- very helpful.

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:57am
post #1119 of 1303

so I have a before and after for you all....
LL
LL

aroostookcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aroostookcakes Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:09am
post #1120 of 1303

I don't feel so bad now. It's kinda nice knowing other people make crappy cakes. This one I made 7 years ago when I was about 16. I made it for my sister that's four years younger then me. She loved it but looking back man I hate that cake. Privately tapedshut.gif I think I was smoking the good stuff around that time. icon_redface.gif
LL

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 4:30am
post #1121 of 1303

LOL, love the Grateful Dead kitties icon_wink.gif

Hollyanna70 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 4:38am
post #1122 of 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by darandon

I don't think scared them away - maybe blinded their eyes with the colors icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

Yeah, I thought that might be a problem, so I used the picture that was taken "without" the flash on. haha

I have AT LEAST 2 more cakes I'm going to post to this thread. I just want to clean the background up a bit.. get rid of mother's junk covered table, etc. I'm also still going through the whole thread. I'll be sure to look yours up, Ichristi27 icon_wink.gif

Then I have even more horrible cakes I will be posting to the "first and most recent" thread. haha

I don't mind showing my horrible ones. There really are a lot. I know there's nowhere to go now but up. icon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 8:21am
post #1123 of 1303

Heres ONE of my ugly cakes.....put your sunglasses on... icon_cool.gif
LL

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 8:30am
post #1124 of 1303

let me make it bigger so you can get the FULL effect icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif
LL

Mamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamas Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 2:08pm
post #1125 of 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by reesesob

so I have a before and after for you all....

what exactly is that flesh colored thing? Cant tell if it is a bad cake or not . . . I think I can make out some butt crack under that hat but other than that . . .

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 2:10pm
post #1126 of 1303

Where? one the board of the BEFORE picture?
That's a diploma

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 2:21pm
post #1127 of 1303

Long live this thread!! As long as it continues I will never feel alone at 3:00 am when I am trying to fix a disaster!!!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 2:31pm
post #1128 of 1303

I have to say-lots of you are so hard on yourselves! A lot of these cakes are great! But here is mine. A Mini Cooper cake-my first time with a sculpted cake, and it was just a mess!
LL

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 1:38am
post #1129 of 1303

Wow. I feel like I am the thread killer-it's been like 6 hours!

Mamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamas Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 1:21pm
post #1130 of 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by reesesob

Where? one the board of the BEFORE picture?
That's a diploma

No I realize now that it is most likely supposed to be a tooth. That isn't a bad cake! I knew it!

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 1:49pm
post #1131 of 1303

Okay! I'll play, too! Here's my first cake that I did for the second class of Wilton Course 1...I have come a long way at least icon_biggrin.gif

It tasted fine, but it was ugly...AND the cake itself got really greasy for some reason (I think it was too much icing + too little cake = blech!) icon_lol.gif
LL

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 3:24pm
post #1132 of 1303

This is one of my earliest cakes...I've come along way since then.

Mairi is my daughter, and Jonah is a friend of hers. Their birthdays are just 2 weeks apart, so that year her mom and I did a joint b-day party for both kids.
LL

Steph2325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steph2325 Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 3:38pm
post #1133 of 1303

I mixed different colors of leftover frosting (thinking I'd get a nice pretty blue) for my MIL's birthday. Looked like it was frosted with cement and then someone threw up on it. It was a hazelnut cake with a delicious hazelnut mousse filling.

You had to close your eyes to eat this one.

Happy Day,
Steph
LL

Steph2325 Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 3:39pm
post #1134 of 1303

p.s. I didn't even bother decorating it. There was simply no hope for it. LOL!

Happy Day,
Steph

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 3:44pm
post #1135 of 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph2325

I mixed different colors of leftover frosting (thinking I'd get a nice pretty blue) for my MIL's birthday. Looked like it was frosted with cement and then someone threw up on it. It was a hazelnut cake with a delicious hazelnut mousse filling.

Happy Day,
Steph

I learned myself the hard way when I was in high school that mixing colors results in a lovely steel grey or pea soup color icon_lol.gif.

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 4:38pm
post #1136 of 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph2325

Happy Day,
Steph

Whew! That one deserves it's own title icon_lol.gif! I also found out the hard way that mixing certain colors together just wasn't the most appealing thing I could do. I did a sheet cake for work one time (I refused to take a picture because I thought it was soooo ugly icon_razz.gif), and I was trying to make a teal color before I actually had an actual teal color, and the result was a DISGUSTING shade of blue greenish muck...everyone thought I meant to make it that way...yeah, I totally did icon_wink.gif!

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 6:52pm
post #1137 of 1303

Here's my worst ever cake, and the thing that led me to this site to learn how to smooth icing correctly.....
LL

Steph2325 Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 9:30pm
post #1138 of 1303

Shelle_75...Wow, I would love to say that your cake was my worst cake ever. I think it looks pretty good actually! icon_biggrin.gif

Happy Day,
Steph

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 9:54pm
post #1139 of 1303

I just found this thread and I am DYING!!!!!!! I too have several cake disasters!!! I love the way we caption these photos. This is killing me! I'd post my lastest disaster but it says a nasty on it. Oh well, I had already screwed it up!!!

Elle

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 12:32am
post #1140 of 1303

I just caught the tail end of this thread but I have to say to steph....hehe...yours may (hemhem) take the cake...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%