Cake Balls: They Went Wild!!!

Decorating By countrycakes Updated 6 Sep 2006 , 2:54am by FancyLayne23

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 4:49pm
post #31 of 166

Yes you can definitely freeze them. Just wrap them well so they don't absorb any freezer smells.

I also freeze my leftover buttercream!

Keliames Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Keliames Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 4:51pm
post #32 of 166

How do you keep the crumbs out of the chocolate? I seem to have problems with cake balls and truffels. Half way through the batch my chocolate starts to get lumpy with the crumbs, or it starts to seize because of the liquid in the truffles/cake balls. Any suggestions? I am tired of having to throw away chocolate. Thanks, Keli

GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaJuarez Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 4:52pm
post #33 of 166

When I do mine, it is just cake scraps and buttercream, freeze for about 15 minutes, dip in chocolate, and voila! Everyone loves them, matter a fact, I have someone order 50 of them on January 5th ($20, is that a good price?). Thanksgiving was the first time I took them to my family, and I told them they need to help me come up with a name besides cake balls. They came up with reideer testicles and dingleberries. Needless to say, my family has issues icon_lol.gif

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 4:56pm
post #34 of 166

You and I must have the same family Gina, because that would have been the response I would have gotten too !!

Keliames Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Keliames Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 4:56pm
post #35 of 166

That sounds like the kind of names my family would come up with. You are not alone! But, very funny. Keli

luv2cake Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 5:03pm
post #36 of 166

I call them cake balls or cake truffles.

mamastacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamastacy Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 5:05pm
post #37 of 166

i would like to know if they should be sticky??another thang can you use dry coffee creamer???
THANK YOU,
Stacy

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 5:11pm
post #38 of 166

Mamastacy, I haven't used buttercream in my cake balls yet, I use French vanilla coffee creamer too. Mine aren't that sticky, but I do form them with my hands and I find that I have to wash often or I end up a mess. I would also like to know the answer to the dry coffee creamer. I posted that on another thread awhile back but did not recieve the answer I was looking for. The suggestion I got which I like very much is to pour my left over coffee creamer into ice cube trays and freeze it. Then I can pop them out and put them in a zip lock bag and only defrost what I need.

luv2cake Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 5:12pm
post #39 of 166

Mine are a bit sticky before I dip them in chocolate. If your cake balls are too sticky to handle, then you probably have too much liquid or buttercream in them.

You can also freeze them after they are formed into balls to cut down on the stickiness so you can handle them enough to dip them in chocolate.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 5:17pm
post #40 of 166

i am not a cake ball expert, but to answer the question about dry coffee creamer, i think the answer would be NO. the coffee creamer is used as a liquid to add moister to make the cake stick and become cake balls. dry coffee creamer wouldnt do that.
correct me if im wrong, my knowlegeble cc friends.

also, the raindeer testicales are sooooo funny. thanks for the laugh!!!!!

melody

mamastacy Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 5:20pm
post #41 of 166

thank you so very very much! im going to give it a try now .
stacy

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 5:29pm
post #42 of 166

Maybe I should have ask my coffee creamer question alittle clearer (I confuse myself sometimes LOL) Can you rehydrate dry coffee creamer with some water or milk to use as the liquid part of the cake...whatevers... I kindof like the festiveness of reindeer testicals.

mamastacy Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 5:46pm
post #43 of 166

ok , i was thinking that if u already have a lliquid,maybe the dry coffee creamer could add flav. thats why i asked about the dry coffee creamer. thanks for the repleys.
stacy

melodyscakes Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 5:48pm
post #44 of 166

i think that if you add water to your dry coffee creamer, it would work....just not sure it would taste as good.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 6:20pm
post #45 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by crp7

Thanks, SquirrellyCakes. Here in the U.S. we have a very technical name for those...we call them donut holes. icon_lol.gif

C

Now that makes no sense whatsoever, because if it were a donut hole, well you would be eating nothing, haha! Of course there would be no calories to them, but...
Haha, you know, I don't know what the other donut places call them here because I will only drink coffee from Tim Hortons, I am sort of a coffee snob.
Another Canadian term is a "Double Double", another phrase coined by the Tim Hortons which refers to double cream, double sugar. Found out that it is a Canuck term when I was in the States and tried ordering my coffee that way, they looked at me very strangely, haha.
Hugs Squirrelly

SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 6:29pm
post #46 of 166

Well, I prefer them made with buttercream icing. You just add about 1/3 cup of icing to about what would be the equivalent of a 6 inch round cake in cake scraps. I make the balls, freeze them and then dip them in the melted chocolate, haven't had an issues with cake crumbs.
I think reconstituted coffee creamer should work fine.
I am wonderfing if seizing issues are caused by the chocolate cooling too much, I keep my bowl over a bowl of really hot water, but you must insure that absolutely not even a drop of water gets into the chocolate or you will get seizing.
Hugs Squirrelly

melodyscakes Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 7:00pm
post #47 of 166

squirly, i think we should call these cake holes, and they would also have zero calories. hahaha

melody

melodyscakes Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 7:11pm
post #48 of 166

one more question about cake balls,... how much do you guys charge for them? i am going to offer them as samples at craft fair this weekend, but not sure what i should charge.
any help would be apprecaited.
thanks melody

SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 8:16pm
post #49 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyscakes

squirly, i think we should call these cake holes, and they would also have zero calories. hahaha

melody

Ooh, good to know, then I can eat many more of them, haha!
Have no idea on prices because they seem to be all over the place. The sizes vary so much too. I have seem people selling them at about $1.50 each, or 12 for $15. I make them the size of an icecream scoop but most people make them much smaller.
Hugs Squirrelly

mamastacy Posted 30 Nov 2005 , 3:08pm
post #50 of 166

Thank you guys for all your help with the cake balls i made some and my dad loved them the rest of the family just keep looking and saying what is that mom.lol . but once again thank you for your repleys.
stacy,

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 30 Nov 2005 , 3:57pm
post #51 of 166

The wonderful thing about cake balls is that you can put whatever you want in them! icon_smile.gif When I first started, I used the recipe to a "T" but now I make my own creations.

I've used chocolate cake scraps and leftover caramel filling for the "binder". I've used white cake with strawberry cream cheese as the binder. Your options are endless and up to you. You just need something sticky or wet to hold the cake together enough to form balls. When it's an adult party I'm making them for, I use the small bottles of liquors. Bailey's and Godiva are great ones to use.

Squirrelly, that is a cute idea with the ice cream cones, kids would love that.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 30 Nov 2005 , 11:01pm
post #52 of 166

Ironbaker, big kids too, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly

MontiBellesBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MontiBellesBakery Posted 30 Nov 2005 , 11:30pm
post #53 of 166

You guys are incredible! My partner always asked what I can do with the "waste" from leveling the cakes. She is an accountant, so waste is one of the deadly sins...she will be very glad to hear about these. icon_biggrin.gif

MontiBellesBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MontiBellesBakery Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 1:28pm
post #54 of 166

I made cake balls out of left over chocolate cake last night. I put them in the freezer for about 1 1/2, took them out and covered them in powdered sugar.

They were great as long as they were cold, but when they came to room temp. they were a bit soggy. Did I use too much flavored coffee creamer?

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 4:38pm
post #55 of 166

Possibly, MontiBelle. You want to add enough to get the cake to be able to form into balls and stick but not too much to oversaturate. You'l get the hang of it.

You can also try letting them sit out on waxed/parchement paper to "dry" first before you put them in the freezer. Now that I think about it, I think that part was in Cookieman's recipe for cake balls. he said to let them sit an hour or 2 before you dip them. Maybe that will help.

melodyscakes Posted 4 Dec 2005 , 1:24am
post #56 of 166

i dipped mine in wiltons choc. the ones where it comes in colors...anyway it dries really fast, and hardens, so when you bit into the cake balls you get a crunch.......man oh man!!!!!! talk about goood.
btw micheals has the wilton choc, on sale 2 bags for $3.00 i stalked up.

gave cake balls (although i called them "cake truffles") away as samples at craft fair today.....people went NUTS!!! they loved them and i sold out!!!!

have fun making these fun little balls!
melody

SquirrellyCakes Posted 4 Dec 2005 , 1:26am
post #57 of 166

So did I miss your post about the craft sale Melodyscakes? Can't wait to hear all about it!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

FunnyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunnyCakes Posted 4 Dec 2005 , 11:47am
post #58 of 166

This thread has made me hungry.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 1:27pm
post #59 of 166

I will be using this as I always have cake scraps left overs..
I have some in the freezer right now...LOL...

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 6 Dec 2005 , 1:45pm
post #60 of 166

I brought these into work last night and everybody loved them! They couldn't stop saying how good they were.

I made two kinds:

I added a little peppermint extract to icing and mixed it with chocolate cake. I dipped these in white chocolate and sprinkled with red, green and white non-pareils.

I added a little almond extract to icing (I don't use this when I make my icing) and mixed this with yellow cake and dipped in chocolate candy melts and sprinkled with chopped nuts.

One lady asked if I could write down the recipe or if it would be to hard! icon_lol.gif I am so glad this idea was posted. I never would have thought of this and everyone raves about them! They were gone so quick that some people didn't even realize I had brought in a tray of goodies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%