Cake Balls: They Went Wild!!!

Decorating By countrycakes Updated 6 Sep 2006 , 2:54am by FancyLayne23

meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 4:25pm
post #91 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme

Where can I find the other cake ball recipe with buttercream?

Anybody please icon_sad.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 4:42pm
post #92 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Well, I prefer them made with buttercream icing. You just add about 1/3 cup of icing to about what would be the equivalent of a 6 inch round cake in cake scraps. I make the balls, freeze them and then dip them in the melted chocolate, haven't had an issues with cake crumbs.

Hugs Squirrelly

Just Buttercream and cake is what it sounds like...

Holy cow...this thread has taken on a life of its own.....I have a plate of scraps that are calling my name....

lpino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lpino Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 4:42pm
post #93 of 166

I've just been silently reading these postings and now I have to speak up... I promised dh that I was not going to bake more cakes, cookies, cupcakes, etc. until Christmas (he thinks I do it too much and I should get a break) but now I have to try this!!!!

I cannot wait, my mouth is watering. I'll do it tomorrow while he is at work. I'm sure as soon as he tries them, he will allow me in the kitchen again icon_biggrin.gif

Great idea for cake scraps, I cannot believe I have thrown out soooo many... icon_sad.gif

Stogz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stogz Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 4:51pm
post #94 of 166

Sorry to ask again but I am making some as we speak and I just dont want to mess them up.....

How much buttercream do I use with a whole cake of scraps (13 by 9 cake)?

Thanks! I cant wait to taste them. I made a red velvet cake and made bailys buttercream tinted green icon_smile.gif

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 4:54pm
post #95 of 166

I just win git. I add coco powder and powder sugar and icing and a shot of baileys or extract or oil flavoring ad it is great. Consistency is the key and you need to adjust as you go.

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 5:27pm
post #96 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy6250

llee815,

I always use the chocolate almond bark. It is so easy. They set up in just a few mins. You can use the other though, just depends on what you like best.

HTH
Cindy

Does this give the cake balls crunch, like melodyscakes has mentioned with hers? I love the sound of a nice hard outside and soft inside!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 6:09pm
post #97 of 166
Quote:
Quote:

Has anyone made a cake and used it for only cake balls. I just made a 13 by 9 cake and wondering how much buttercream to mix with it.

All the time Stogz! I've started freezing all my scraps but if I need cake for cake balls, I will bake a layer or two. And it's great because those are layers you don't have to worry about when it comes to not rising, overbaking, etc. It will all work out in the end. icon_smile.gif

I'm not sure how much buttercream to add to it. I add liquid. I think Squirrely mentioned she adds about 1/3 cup of BC to about a 6 inch layer cake of scraps. So maybe about a cup? The thing with cake balls, nothing is really exact, you just mix until you get the right consistency. Just enough for them to form and hold together but not too much so that they are mushy.

I'm about to drool on my keyboard. I plan on making many for gifts this year, can't wait!

Stogz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stogz Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 6:14pm
post #98 of 166

Thanks Ironbaker!

I have some out in the garage getting cold so I can dip during my son's afternoon nap. I had so much on my counter I just added about a cup of water to a bowl of cake scraps. I almost wanted to cry. I was making another cake and the bowl with the cake mix was next to it and I was just working to fast. Oh well, I will just have to grab another box and make some more cake.!

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 6:50pm
post #99 of 166

I don't even like cake balls, but I had to see what ya'll were up to. icon_biggrin.gif

For the person thinking of calling them cake bites: I'd leave the word cake out entirely. I think the reason I and others dislike the cake balls is because we expected them to taste like cake. The do not taste anything like cake. They are more along the lines of a rum ball.

hth

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 7:01pm
post #100 of 166

I have done this but, I didn't actually measure how much buttercream. I just put some in and mixed and it worked fine. You just have to be carefull not to add too much. If they're too moist they are difficult to dip. You can try adding a little at a time, if no one is able to offer an exact measurement for you. Good luck.

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 7:30pm
post #101 of 166

This is a HUGE thread!

I just wanted to make the 100th post!

I love cake balls! Yahoooo! icon_biggrin.gif

kibibi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kibibi Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 7:35pm
post #102 of 166

someone should do a cake balls tutoral with pics.!!!!

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 11:30pm
post #103 of 166

llee815,

Yes, they crack when you bite into them...Yummm
I just got thru making a batch with the cake I broke yesterday....

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 11:48pm
post #104 of 166

we have something like 6 inches of snow in the kansas city area...its cold outside, so i think i will make some more cake balls......or cake doodles this evening. they get me so excited!!!!!! i am going to give them as gifts this year because they are very inexpensive to make.

keep posting abaout those balls!
melody

krissy_kze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissy_kze Posted 8 Dec 2005 , 11:52pm
post #105 of 166

Anyone have a picture of these cake balls? I wanna see what they look like. I would love to try them and use all the scraps instead of eating them!! ARGH!

-Krissy

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 12:03am
post #106 of 166

OK...I have a couple of large layers of pumpkin cake that I accidently overbaked slightly. How would you flavor these for cake balls???????? Cinnamon BC? White Almond Bark? Any better ideas out there??????

blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 12:04am
post #107 of 166

Cream cheese bc, cinnamon bc, egg nog bc, vanilla bc, the possibilities are endless and delicious!!!

Berta

Phoov Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 2:21am
post #108 of 166

Anything but white coating??????

blittle6 Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 2:22am
post #109 of 166

I used milk chocolate and the chocolate colored almond bark.

Phoov Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 2:29am
post #110 of 166

CHOCOLATE ON PUMPKIN?????????????????????????????????????????

blittle6 Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 2:32am
post #111 of 166

That's how I made mine......if you could find those cinnamon chips that look like chocolate chips those would be perfect! I think they are Hershey's Brand. Or I just bought some butterscotch chips what do u think of that?

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 2:32am
post #112 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy6250

llee815,

Yes, they crack when you bite into them...Yummm
I just got thru making a batch with the cake I broke yesterday....

Thanks! I can't wait to try them!

Phoov Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 2:49am
post #113 of 166

LOL! Yes blittle............butterscotch or cinnamon chips sound much better! I just didn't think my tasted buds could do chocolate and pumpkin...THANKS FOR THE IDEAS!

blittle6 Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 9:45am
post #114 of 166

Let us know how they turn out!!!

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 9 Dec 2005 , 11:51pm
post #115 of 166

I made some cake balls today using the technique mentioned with just adding the buttercream to the crumbled cake....My question is, can lor ann's candy flavoring be added to the white candy melts....I want my cake balls to taste like cheesecake..I mixed the cake with a cream cheese buttercream..and I want to flavor the candy melts with the cheesecake flavored oil....Is this possible and do you think that it would turn out good....

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 1:51pm
post #116 of 166

great recipe!

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 1:59pm
post #117 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by missnnaction

I made some cake balls today using the technique mentioned with just adding the buttercream to the crumbled cake....My question is, can lor ann's candy flavoring be added to the white candy melts....I want my cake balls to taste like cheesecake..I mixed the cake with a cream cheese buttercream..and I want to flavor the candy melts with the cheesecake flavored oil....Is this possible and do you think that it would turn out good....

You can definitely add Lorann oils to the chocolate. They are pretty strong in flavor, but they work nicely in the chocolate melts.
Cheesecake flavored cake balls sound great!

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 5:10pm
post #118 of 166

Thank you luv2cake...I put them in the freezer and will be dipping them probably tomorrow....
Thanks again for your response

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 7:51pm
post #119 of 166

OK guys! I finally tried these---red velvet cake and leftover BC and then dipped them in candy melts. The candy melts made them way too sweet. Anyone have any other coating ideas?? Other than melted chocolate or almond bark? I've seen about rolling them in PS?!

MontiBellesBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MontiBellesBakery Posted 11 Dec 2005 , 8:00pm
post #120 of 166

My family seems to like them better in PS, but the cake does absorb it after a bit so they aren't as pretty after they have set a while.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%