Cake Balls: They Went Wild!!!

Decorating By countrycakes Updated 6 Sep 2006 , 2:54am by FancyLayne23

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 5:27pm
post #121 of 166

I wanted to make eggnog cake and blittle gave me a link to the eggnog cake recipe she used. I have mixed results when I make cakes from scratch so I wanted to use a box cake mix. I substituted eggnog for the milk and instead of oil I used melted butter for DH yellow cake. IT CAME OUT DELICIOUS! And had a nice eggnog flavor. I then used eggnog buttercream as a binder. Very Good!

Sorry so long!!

cakinqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakinqueen Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 5:32pm
post #122 of 166

I used a spice cake mix from DH. I added a shot of spiked egg nog and 1/3 cup cream cheese icing. Dipped in white chocolate. I have 6 dozen in work at 8 am by 1:15 they were GONE. We only have 40 people in our office. I have 14 confirmed orders and they are paying $1.00 a ball. Thanks for all the post on this subject you made me a happy girl.

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 7:02pm
post #123 of 166

You got 6dz cake balls out of one box of cakemix?

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 7:10pm
post #124 of 166

$1.00 a ball??? How big are you making those things? Are they the ice cream scoop size? And like bubblezmom said did you get that many out of 1 mix?

cakinqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakinqueen Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 7:27pm
post #125 of 166

They are the medium cookie scoop. The customers set my price. I said I would let them know and one said I think $1.00 each is fair. i made a couple batches really don't know how many cause i was doing so much else so i think it wa like 3 batches.

princessjellybean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princessjellybean Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 7:34pm
post #126 of 166

i made them this weekend from the scraps from a 8 inch round cake. it was about 2 cups of scraps and i use the recipe from countrycakes found at the beginning of this thread...and i got about 10 small bite sizes balls....about 1 inch in diameter....i didnt try one, but my husband said they were good...for some reason, i rarely eat what i bake, i just like baking...good thing my dh likes sweets and has a bunch of coworkers that do as well. icon_lol.gif im so glad i dont have to throw of cake scraps anymore...i felt so bad wasting food.

Devonee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Devonee Posted 12 Dec 2005 , 7:40pm
post #127 of 166

Wow, I can't believe how big this thread is. I am going to have to try these, they sound delicious!!

bubblezmom Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 12:09am
post #128 of 166

The ones w/o the frosting taste pretty good. My dh and I agree that the texture is too smooth. I'm going to add some nuts or something to the next batch.

Tilisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tilisha Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 12:25am
post #129 of 166

I made a cake box mix and got 6 dozen cake balls. I measured them at 1/2 tablespoon each. After coating in chocolate and caramel or peanut butter and rolling in pecans they were a pretty nice size. I charged $15.oo for 2 dozen of this size and $1 each for bigger ones. They loved them. These are excellent. I have 10 orders myself and can't wait to make them.

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 2:03pm
post #130 of 166

I tried making these last night and have to add that I think I gotta better results with a mixed bunch of cake scraps than just choc scraps. The white cake or thicker cake pieces added some density to the mixture and allowed me to add more flavor.

When I used just the choc cake scraps I had, the mixture was real moist so I added some flour to stiffen it up without adding a floury taste.

I'm definitely going to make more after I stop at the liquor store today!

One thing diff I did last night when trying to acheive a vanilla flavor -- I have powdered vanilla for candy making at home that I often add to my bc. I used it on some scraps that I added vanilla creamer too. They tasted superbly vanilla. I'm going to coat these in white chocolate.

BritBB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BritBB Posted 13 Dec 2005 , 10:43pm
post #131 of 166

I must try this. My scraps are one big cake ball - DH sized belly!!

cande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cande Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 1:54am
post #132 of 166

Wow this thread is huge!! I'm glad so many people are enjoying these.

I had the pleasure of becoming addicted to the originals 6 years ago, and they have been my little secret with non-Bavarians/non-Frankens ever since icon_twisted.gif. I have to admit I'm a little upset that everyone has found out about 'my' little secret. *evil laugh* icon_wink.gif

My Dh grew up on these--they were (and still are) his favorite snack. However, there's a few slight differences from the recipes that have been posted here and the originals. These began as a treat out of necessity. Pastry shops here have made them for decades out of their old cakes that didn't sell. The cakes (all the similar varieties) are thrown into the mixer, a scant amount very finely chopped nuts are added, along with some boken up shortbread-type cookies (both for texture) and a little rum (for extra moistness). Afterwards they are formed on a cookie base and coated with DARK chocolate (so they aren't too sweet) and voila!
Here's what the originals look like--they look like a Granatsplitter (grenade shrapnel), hence the name.
[img][/img]

They are Heaven on Earth! If you ever visit, make sure you try an original, they will knock your socks off!
LL

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 12:56pm
post #133 of 166

I have to admit that I looked at your pictures BEFORE I read your post!! I was thinking WHAT THE HECK DID SHE DO???? icon_confused.gif THEN I read your post and those sound really good!!! I love shortbread! Uh, and rum!
Thanks for the info!!! Sounds delicious!! thumbs_up.gif

Cake_Geek Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 1:06pm
post #134 of 166

I was an experimenting fool last night!! I stopped at the liquor store and bought several minis: godiva choc liquor, godiva white choc, godiva cappucino, absolut raspberry vodka, and amarretto.

The raspberry, amarretto, and white choc were my fav in that order. The others were okay. I mixed them up too. One that my husband liked that I was surprised he liked had some of the white choc liquor, raspberry vodka, white choc chunks and coated in white choc.

Also, the ones I made vanilla flavored I intended on coating in powdered sugar. I was thinking how I could get more flavor in them to compete with the choc ones so I added powdered vanilla to my powdered sugar! Yummy!!

I can't wait to take them to the exchange sunday!!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 2:45pm
post #135 of 166

BarefootContessa, you and I were both experimenting fools last night! I had some leftover butter pecan cake and mixed in a rum and cream and dipped in white chocolate. Yum, yum.

Also made some with white cake, chopped up peanut butter chips(ran them through the food processor) and Irish cream, dipped in chocolate.

Also some chocolate cake with chopped up white chocolate pieces and Irish cream, dipped in chocolate.

I just love the endless possibilities. I want to try some minty ones.

bubblezmom Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 2:55pm
post #136 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by cande

a scant amount very finely chopped nuts are added, along with some boken up shortbread-type cookies (both for texture) and a little rum (for extra moistness). Afterwards they are formed on a cookie base and coated with DARK chocolate (so they aren't too sweet) and voila!
Here's what the originals look like--they look like a Granatsplitter (grenade shrapnel), hence the name.

Thank you for sharing! It is nice to know that I'm not crazy for thinking
the frosting cakeballs are too sweet and need more texture. icon_biggrin.gif

BarefootContessa-I want to come hang out at your house! I'd love to try all those flavors-esp the Godiva white chocolate.

prettycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycakes Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 5:35pm
post #137 of 166

Okay, I just have to put in my 2 cents. I just made three batches of these little love bugs and found that it is much easier to use the food processor to make them. I just pour in my liquid until my mix forms a ball and I know they are ready. Kind of like making a pie crust.

Ohhh! These things are so good, I really could get fat off of them.

Also, I found that an 8 inch round cake makes about 4 cups of crumbs. So I make a simple sponge cake...

1 cup self rising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 c superfine sugar
1/2 c butter
2 lg eggs

Sift flour and BP together. Mix in sugar, softened butter, and eggs. (the mixture will be thick, almost like a cookie dough.) Spread into an 8" round cake pan and bake at 325 for about 30 minutes. Mine comes out of the oven pretty flat.

Let cool and then break up and place in the food processor. After that the combinations are endless.

Cake_Geek Posted 14 Dec 2005 , 6:02pm
post #138 of 166

Shoot, I don't even use a mixer for this. I just use my spatula and a bowl! Why dirty the mixer when its so easy to combine!?

The possibilities really are endless. If I could have found grand marnier or somethiing else in the small bottles I would have done more!

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 4:08pm
post #139 of 166

AAAAAAAaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

I just needed to vent my frustration at my stupid judgement! I had planned on making cake balls to give to my son's teachers and administrators as Christmas gifts. So on Day 1 I baked the cake specifically for this purpose. Day 2 I rolled up the balls and put them in the fridge to set up. Then I melted the chocolate to dip them in. The chocolate was a bit thick so I usually add whipping cream to give it a nice consistency. Well, I was out of whipping cream so in a moment of complete stupidity I thought I should use half and half. BIG MISTAKE! The whole thing seized up on me. It happened so late at night and I was so tired that I just had to give up on the whole thing. Now I have a fridge full of little balls that lovingly remind me of my mistake! Since today is the last day of school I'm just going to have to give them a card.

~*sigh*~

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 4:47pm
post #140 of 166

Oh no! If you don't have any more chocolate you can always use powdered sugar, cocoa, sprinkles, nuts, etc. I've made that mistake before also.

If you want to thin out your chocolate, you can add paramount crystals or shortening. About a tsp or so to every pound. I also keep my chocolate over hot water to keep it from thickening up on me.

Cake_Geek Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 5:15pm
post #141 of 166

Try heating it up and see if it will blend together at all. I've never tried adding cream or half/half to chocolate to smooth it out. I've added a tad bit of crisco and it worked famously.

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 12:11am
post #142 of 166

y'all weren't kidding! I made these today and they are fabulous!! good thing I only made a few!! Thanks for the recipe and inspiration!

edited to correct a typo made in my excitement. icon_smile.gif

RAVUN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RAVUN Posted 9 Jan 2006 , 4:57pm
post #143 of 166

OK....I just made my first cake balls!!!
I kept reading this post and finally I just had to try them. I put the tiny mint chips and some creme de menthe in mine. They turned out great and tasted delicious. I have posted a photo in my album that contains my sample Valentine Tray of goodies...been practicing on my cookies. I just want to say thanks to all of you ....I have learned so much on here.
Hey has anyone put coconut in their cake balls?
Debbie

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 9 Jan 2006 , 10:09pm
post #144 of 166

I finally made these for the first time today as well. I wasn't too pleased with them. I followed the recipe exactly using yellow cake scraps and chopped pecans. I think next time I'll try it just using the scraps and some buttercream. I do like the mint ideas in the last post, nothing better than mint and chocolate. Coconut crossed my mind as well, but I didn't have time to do another batch.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 12 Jan 2006 , 11:12am
post #145 of 166

Hi, everyone! I just made a batch of these today. I think that I may have used a touch too much liquid. But otherwise okay. I have questions-do you just dip the balls once? And once they are done how long can the be kept in the freezer? I just used yellow cake with reg BC and some Ameretto. I like the except for the too moist thing. But that was my mistake there. Thanks for the recipe and advice you guys!! I think I may have found my next quick gift item!!

Tanya

VACakelady Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 12:04pm
post #146 of 166

I sent the rest of the batch that I made to work with DH and ended up with an order! Not too shabby.

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 12:06pm
post #147 of 166

Will cakeballs help a nasty tasting cake???? lol That last one of mine REALLY needed some help! lol

VACakelady Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 12:11pm
post #148 of 166

I guess it couldn't hurt to try!

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 12:13pm
post #149 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACakelady

I guess it couldn't hurt to try!

I was just joking. I threw that nasty thing in the trash!! lol

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 14 Jan 2006 , 12:26pm
post #150 of 166

someone emailed me and asked me if I heard of cake balls.. you guessed it they weren't part of this site, so I suggested them to come and read, but their second question was about the powdered sugar or powdered creamer being used. What I told them was:
I would say yes IF you already have a moist cake ball...rolling them in it a
little like some do powdered sugar would probably be great... but if you dont have a moist cake already then by all means no....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%