daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 28 May 2006 , 8:50pm
post #151 of 166

HOPE THIS HELPS ANYONE ASKING & LOOKING-ALOT OF INFO--

BUMP

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 11:30pm
post #152 of 166

Oh my! These are AWESOME! I fixed kaluha fudge cake bites. Just took left over crumbled cake, bc icing, and some kaluha and mixed well.

I think I added too much kaluha cause I have a buzz going! Of course, I don't drink, so the smallest amount of alcohol and I'm on the floor laughing as a happy drunk. haha icon_rolleyes.gif

Yummy....can't wait to make some more.

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 3:52am
post #153 of 166

Ok, so I've tried making these a couple of times now and they always come out just wet. I don't put much binder in them, is my cake just too moist or what? They have turned out awful and just gooey. I mean, the cake scraps practically hold together by themselves anyway, so I figure that anything that I add to it (icing, filling, whatever) just makes it too soggy. Any help?

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 4:24am
post #154 of 166

If the cake balls are rolled in cocoa or powdered sugar, how long do I have before the cake balls absorb the cocoa or ps? Hope that makes sense! Thanks.

Leslie

Fascination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fascination Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 5:11am
post #155 of 166

WOW
this thread has been going for months!
let me add my 2 cents; the first time I made these was in 1999 & fell in love (maybe because chocolate is my favorite food!). I have always called them cake truffles (I had never heard the term 'cake balls' till I read it on a previous post)
It is true, the possibilities are endless!.
You all have to try this combination: 'pumpkin pie cake', with a touch of bourbon or brandy or amber rum, dipped in white chocolate.

to answer the question by llee815... the absorption time will depend on how moist the truffles are.
I usually have them made, prepare the paper cups on a tray or the box they will go in & roll them just before delivery or serving.

If I may offer another suggestion on what to do with the left over cake 'scraps'.
I make English Triffle. .. with different combinations of cake, jam, liqueur, custard/whipped cream
It seems like such a coincidence that my family enjoys a triffle the day after I make a large wedding cake icon_lol.gif
and I have also been known to bring this rich dessert to potlucks or dinner parties. It never fails to impress!
(one that was a big hit: chocolate cake, raspberry jam, cherry liqueur & whipped cream, sprinkled with chocolate shavings)

You have to try this... & I am sure you are all so creative that you will come up with interesting & flavorful new combinations!

ciao for now

CarolinaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaBelle Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 5:59am
post #156 of 166

I hadn't heard of these before. Thanks for posting. I will have to give them a try.

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 4:36pm
post #157 of 166

I fixed up some of these to take into work, hoping they would bring in some orders for me.

1) I fixed plain cake balls and then I fixed some that were dipped in white chocolates for everyone to try. 90% Loved the dipped ones, so I guess I will dip in the future.. icon_rolleyes.gif

2) I fixed them so they were 2 bites Sized, but I have no clue what to charge for them. They were a little bigger than a regular sized donut hole. Maybe $2.00 a dozen? Regular donut holes go for $1. 40 or so around here, but since these have kahlua in them, I thought I would up the price a little, put them in a bag by the dozen, and see if I can sell them at my work and my hubby's.

Any thoughts?

pilesoflaundry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pilesoflaundry Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 5:05pm
post #158 of 166

If they are larger than a donut hole, charge more than $2 a dozen! Especially with liquor in them, you would lose money otherwise I would think.

I want to make some, just one question do I form them and let them dry before freezing or should I just put them straight in the freezer? (I'm going to freeze before dipping to make them easier to dip) but I don't want soggy ones at all. I plan on using left over cake with icing, no liquid and dip in chocolate.

swoboda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swoboda Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 9:58pm
post #159 of 166

I know you can mix white & chocolate cake scraps to make these but what about carrot cake scraps? I have some carrot cake scraps but not enough to make even a 1/2 recipe of cake balls I don't think..... Do you think it would taste too weird if I added it to all my other scraps??

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 2:11am
post #160 of 166

Oh my oh my, I had fun experimenting with these today. I was too intrigued after reading this thread, so I made my favorite chocolate cake expressely for the purpose of making cake balls. I made:

Plain french vanilla (dipped in dark chocolate, drizzled with white chocolate)
Bailey's Irish Cream (with pecans, dipped in white chocolate)
Grown up Rocky Road (godiva liquor, itty bitty marshmellows--kinda like the ones in lucky charms--and walnuts. Dipped in dark chocolate)
Cappucino (mixed in some instant coffee, cappucino chips, and french vanilla creamer. Dipped in both white and dark chocolate).

I don't know which one I like best! I'm dying to make a german chocolate cake version. chocolate cake, the toasted coconut creamer, coconut and pecans? I'm a woman obsessed!

alfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alfie Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 3:02am
post #161 of 166

Waste not, want not.

What an excellent way to make these "cake truffles".

rajinaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rajinaren Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 1:57am
post #162 of 166

i made a batch of cake balls without any buttercream....it tasted great.
Does the buttercream ones taste too sweet?

faithsfancifuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faithsfancifuls Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 2:12am
post #163 of 166

We used to make these in the pastry shop that I worked in, from all the scraps left over from the wedding cakes...
We used chocolate cake, vanilla cake crumbs, rum raisins and melted chocolate. Then we dipped them in more chocolate and rolled them in chocolate shavings!! My favorite were the carrot cake balls made from carrot cake and melted white chocolate dipped in white chocolate and then rolled in white shavings!!! HEAVENLY! icon_biggrin.gif

FancyLayne23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FancyLayne23 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 2:20am
post #164 of 166

I am going to try these. They sound so good. Thanks for the recipes CC.

bayougrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bayougrl Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 3:01am
post #165 of 166

I don't know if some one already mentioned this, but how about using Nutella in place of peanut butter as the binder.

FancyLayne23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FancyLayne23 Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 2:54am
post #166 of 166

I made one of these recipes today and took them to my parents....omg...your right they are awesome. My Mom said it shouldn't be legal to make something so good. My daughter said it tasted like heaven. These are a must keep recipe. Thank you so much for sharing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%