Chef's Toque, Only Chef's Should Wear Them?

Lounge By ThePastryDiva Updated 5 Nov 2005 , 8:42pm by Jackie

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 1:36am
post #1 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Well, I guess I am way off the mark from everyone else, but I always wear a white baker's apron and usually wear a baker's hat which is pretty much the same thing as a chef's hat whenever I am setting up or serving or doing anything at a bake sale....

um..after spending almost 40g's on my culinary education..I would NOT appreciate seeing someone in a "chef" coat that wasn't a chef.

I'm sorry to me, that has always been a pet peeve of mine. It's like someone that is NOT a doctor wearing the white coat and scope!

Before I got my Certification I had nice, professional golf shirts with the logo of my little shop on one side for meetings, deliveries and such.

To work in the shop, I had some whimsical t-shirts.

I used some of my graphic programs to make T-Shirt transfers and used those before I could budget for the golf shirts.

Once I get my degree, I can be addressed as CHEF DIVA...just as I would address a doctor...

I know, that my profession has nothing to do with saving lives, but, being called CHEF, is a tittle that I am entittled to after I recieve my hard earned degree...and the coat and hat are part of that.

lol, this opinion is humbly express with a great deal of trepadation.

55 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 1:38am
post #2 of 56

Oh...

Sorry, no offense intended. icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway I still say, even if no chef's coat, dress sort of professionally casual....look neat and like you totally know what you are doing, and be super friendly.

ThePastryDiva Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 4:56am
post #3 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Heehee, now Pastry Diva has me worried that a professional baker is going to beat me up if I cannot show credentials, haha! Guess I had better start going incognito - icon_cool.gif
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Why would I? lol...just expressed how I felt..nothing more...to each his or her own...

All I know, is that I work hard for the priviledge of wearing my whites, but harder for the tittle...maybe not as hard as a Doctor, but..hard enough.

Wearing the whites doesn't make anyone a "CHEF" just as wearing a "medical lab coat" doesn't make someone a doctor.

icon_smile.gif The education that culminates in the sheepskin that hangs on the wall...is what counts!!...lol icon_smile.gif

it's all relative, anyway!!...and while we are off the subject....lol

as soon as I graduate, I"m throwing a red sock into the laundry and turning all my jackets ...

PINK!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 5:00am
post #4 of 56

EDITE BY JACKIE ON 11/06/2005

Comments removed at the request of Cake_Princess

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 5:13am
post #5 of 56

Heehee, well you lost me on the sheepskin quote I must say, haven't seen that phrase before and being an animal right's activist, my bushy squirrel tail is quivering. It was a joke, but I might start wearing my sunglasses at night, haha! icon_lol.gif And I might have to think seriously of having, "My Mom paid for my Honors BA" tattooed on my oldest's forehead, the university can take credit for her Masters when she gets it, since that part is, fortunately, free for me, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly

SquirrellyCakes Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 5:31am
post #6 of 56

Well CP, what are you tracking me down, haha! In school they do have to wear the uniform of whatever profession they are in, at least here. Also most bakeries and restaurants have the same stipulations, at least the places I go to. But you are right, I see the names embroidered and the position too. I also seem to remember that there is a colour code, a thin piped line in a specific colour denotes position?
Haha, those bakers' apron's are a Godsend for me. The hats too, because I absolutely have a thing about people serving food with hair uncovered.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

ThePastryDiva Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 11:10am
post #7 of 56

Edited By Jackie 11/06/2005

DiH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiH Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 56

[quote="ThePastryDivaDid you know that when a Doctor and a Chef graduate...[/quote]

Way OT now but I just can't resist. Do you know what you call medical and culinary students who graduate at the bottom of their classes? Doctor and Chef. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 2:44pm
post #9 of 56

I'm waiting for the claws to come out! Keep going...I need the entertainment right now!

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 2:49pm
post #10 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by fytar

I'm waiting for the claws to come out! Keep going...I need the entertainment right now!

You mean "Clause"?

SquirrellyCakes Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 3:03pm
post #11 of 56

EDITED BY JACKIE 11/06/2005

Well, in Canada, at least at the 4 schools that have culinary arts programmes that I am aware of, the chef's hat is part of the required uniform and then the jackets vary according to the specific programme the student is entered in. The chef's hat is also worn by bakers, they do not wear the baker's cap. Perhaps it is different where you are, but here that is the uniform. And since we go by what we know, that is what I was going by.
I have nephews, and cousins in the culinary arts. One nephew is a chef and I can tell you that his starting wages were around $15 an hour, which is nowhere near what a doctor would earn here, even with the restrictions of universal healthcare. He has owned three restaurants and worked for some of the better restaurants in our area. One cousin is a pastry chef and has worked at the better resorts in Canada and not earned anywhere near what a doctor earns here. So it must be a different situation here in Canada. But then teachers here are well paid, unlike their situation in the U.S.
I said what I said as a joke. I place a high value on education just as I place a high value on a combination of both education and experience. And I also place a high value on talent and/or experience on its own. I suppose it could be likened to the music industry. There are talented singers that have never taken a singing lesson and are totally unable to read music. Then there are people like Charlotte Church and Pavarotti who have studied voice and music. The people without the training and education earn the same dollars for their concerts as the ones that don't.
I come from a family background of teachers and lawyers and professional people. We were raised to believe that a truly well educated person is able to apply his education in such a way as to make everyone feel comfortable.
My husband has two BA's and a Master's Degree and cannot hang a sheet of wallboard or fix a broken handle on a toilet. Haha and believe me he appreciates it when we sees someone who can.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

SquirrellyCakes Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 5:08pm
post #12 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fytar

You mean "Clause"?

Haha, you two, I was seriously making a joke here, I guess in Canada the uniforms are not taken as seriously, or at least not by the folks I know. But I was joking around as I always do, when I am not hanging from a chandelier decorating cakes.
One of the jokes in my family is that my mother bought my sister and I the chef's quality Henckel knives, one year for Christmas. My nephew who is a chef, was really surprised that we had them and I had teased him that my poor mother didn't realize that you didn't have to be a qualified chef to own better knives. Sort of funny because I more often than not, use a steak knife to cut up most things, so they are sort of wasted on me. But at least he is happy when he comes to visit.
Anyway, this squirrel's claws are retractable and don't come out often. It is sort of a clause in my contract here on the ground.
Gosh I can get into trouble with my comments, can't I? tapedshut.gif
Hugs Squirrelly

RaRaRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaRaRobyn Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 9:11pm
post #13 of 56

Geez, I wear chef's hats. The difference between a fraud wearing a doctors coat and practicing medicine and a person who can cook and bake that wears a chef's hat is, the first is illegal!

I daresay that if I were to wear my chef's hat while baking a cake, that the cops would arrest me for it and land my butt in jail.

I guess I take personal offense to this because, well, I don't have 40 g's to blow on culinary school. But, I am a darn good baker!!!

However, I can see myself in your shoes. But it's probably best to not make personal issues out of your opinion. There's a lot of people on this forum, and I'm sure at least half have worn a chef's hat without a degree.

On to the subject, I agree with the candles and NO CLOWN OUTFIT!!!!

fytar Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 9:25pm
post #14 of 56

Well, I've never worn a chef's hat...hmmmm, maybe you folks are on to something. I need to get a hat!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 9:55pm
post #15 of 56

Yikes, I am sorry I mentioned the hat! And Fytar, haha, not only are they not particularly attractive, but they aren't very comfortable either, I think I would look for the baker's hat that seem to be popular elsewhere.
Honestly, I had no idea this was taken seriously by anyone. And I didn't mean to cause a stir, I was being funny here.
Obviously it means something different to Pastry Diva and she has taken offense at the notion.
And she also has years of baking experience and is trying to add to it with the education.
In my family it was a bit of a funny situation because my relatives that took the culinary or baking courses, had not ever baked or cooked beforehand. But once they finished their courses, well some of them thought they knew everything there was to know. Uuhh, we see that sometimes on the cake sites. But really, you have to have experience also, regardless of the education. So when we got together we learned from each other about the different products and methods of doing things and some of the common sense things you pick up from practice too.
And most definitely many folks cannot afford to take the courses or don't feel the need or have the desire.
I think that we can gain the same sort of knowledge through a lot of hard work and experience, I think Pastry Diva believes the same thing. But when people choose to go out in the field, sometimes that education opens more doors for them than for you and I.
Personally, I believe that education should be free so that everyone has the same opportunities, but I am dreaming in colour.
And some of the people that do very well in this business, have neither experience or education, just either lots of talent or lots of luck or both.
At one point in time, not that long ago, this industry was almost dead. With the introduction of specialized bakeries and such, new life was breathed into it.
Hugs Squirrelly

fytar Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 10:11pm
post #16 of 56

Hey, Squirrelly, "play nice"! Please don't get into any fights on here this weekend. I don't have access to the computer after I leave work! I hate to miss any good ruckus!!

I'm gonna miss you gals, er,guys, too, while I'm offline this weekend. I think I'm going to take this weekend and try to do some Royal Icing pictures to replace my BCTs - getting bored with them. I have seen some pretty cool stuff this week from you all. I also bought some clay modeling books with cutesy little figurines in them today (you know, the kid's books). Gonna try to use MMF mixed with gumtex and see if that will work. Anyone know anything about that?

SquirrellyCakes Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 10:27pm
post #17 of 56

Well, I will most assuredly try to be good kiddo! At least until Monday. Hhmn, I am beginning to feel like I am being set up, hhmn, duh!
Yes, you can mix gum-tex into the marshmallow fondant but ideally, you get a better job with gumpaste or a mixture of gumpaste and fondant. It just hardens up better if you are doing figurines and such. But maybe for the smaller ones it will work fine.
For the snow you can use various things, sometimes I use quilting batting or craft batting instead of Angel Hair or any of the other snows that are sold. Of course, I could send you the real thing in a week or two.
Haha, you know, personally, I didn't have a problem with the clown costume, mainly because of the fact that this is her target audience and because I like dressing up too, haha! Hhmn, would the Pillsbury Doughboy be more appropriate or would you get into trouble because it is a copywritten character and he wears a chef's hat? I am joking, ok, last joke I will make on this site because it gets me into so much hot water! Yeah right, I am serious!
I think all of the ideas are great, like the large poster idea and all.
Hugs tapedshut.gif

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 12:44am
post #18 of 56

Can I put my two cents in here?

When I went to school for my nail licenses we had to wear white, yes white lab coats with the school logo and I was proud to wear it...even through it only cost me $2,000.00 instead of the $40,000.00.

I worked hard for my license...had to prove to those young girls that mom could still out do them...graduated with a 100% average. thumbs_up.gif

I have seen many people wearing these coats and it doesn't bother me at all...have better things to do with my time and energy.

I can understand Diva's concern about this also...some people take things more personal than others.

So, can we please all shake hands and get back to our addiction...cake baking and decorating icon_cry.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 12:46am
post #19 of 56

EDITED BY JACKIE ON 11/06/2005

Comments removed at the request of Cake_Princess

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 1:02am
post #20 of 56

Amen, several times!

I am so relieved to know that this "stuff" is actually on here twice...thought I really was seeing double!
Janice

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 1:06am
post #21 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Princess

Pastry Diva I do not understand why you felt the need to start a new thread. MelodysCake merely asked a simple question and it was blown all out of proportion. No one was attacking you, your reputation or your opinion.

I split this into its own thread from a different topic.
This particular disccusion had nothing to do with the original thread, so I decided to give it its own home.

I would also like to take this opportunity to remind everyone in the community that it is perfectly OK to disagree and voice your opinion, but please, please do it in a respectful way.

And since most of you missed it,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastry_Diva

lol, this opinion is humbly express with a great deal of trepadation.

copperppot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
copperppot Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 1:06am
post #22 of 56

Aye, we are all going to make this poor girl feel bad with this debate over such nonsense. You see, a chef can be self taught and work at the finest restaurants in the world. But, ha a doctor on the other hand spends lets see:

4 Years College
4 Years medical school
Roughly 2 to 4 years internship.

Now lets see that adds up to about we will say 12 years of schooling and about $500,000 dollars. No I do not see the correlation here. Apples and oranges no, but there is a difference between a great white shark and a seal.

Aye. Miss Jackie. Glad you brought that to our attention. I think its time we all jump this ship and move to another part of the ocean, eh.

RaRaRobyn Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 1:32am
post #23 of 56

I'm just gonna wear a chef's hat everywhere I go now..icon_surprised.gif)

Like I said, I think both sides are quite reasonable. However, like I said, a doctor is a doctor, anyone who poses as one gets arrested.

A baker is a baker. Its a self-taught trade most of the time, and directions are in a book available at any bookstore. Not only that, but ingredients are at hand at any store. I have yet to see a grocery carry morphine or surgical tools.

Point being, there are people that wear them, there are people who don't. I don't see the point in getting angry about it...

Makes me think...does The Pilsbury Doughboy have his culinary license?? Now THAT'S food for thought... icon_rolleyes.gif

RaRaRobyn Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 1:41am
post #24 of 56

http://www.thekitchenstore.com/linens-chef-s-clothing.html

And to establish my point even further..

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 1:44am
post #25 of 56

Robyn your are hilarious!!! Anyone can be a chef!! All they have to do is pay $59.99!!! Ha, ha, ha, ha!!! icon_smile.gif My smiley is wearing one.. think it's proper? icon_smile.gif

RaRaRobyn Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 1:47am
post #26 of 56

I think we now need a "smiley" that has a certificate of culinary education beside it. Just so we know..

No offense to anyone..just trying to lighten the mood..that's all!

Robyn

copperppot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
copperppot Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 1:48am
post #27 of 56

Aye, Miss Robyn I totally agree with your point of view there.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 1:56am
post #28 of 56

Glad that I can fit the $59.99 one instead...save me some money.lol

SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 1:58am
post #29 of 56

Ouchhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 2:03am
post #30 of 56

What is a toque? The puffy hat?

Becoming a pastry chef is a wonderful accomplishment. Someone wearing a hat isn't going to make her a pastry chef anymore than wearing a badge makes someone a police officer.

I thought this thread was about *torque* and I had to read it to fiugre out how that could possible relate to baking. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%