Chef's Toque, Only Chef's Should Wear Them?

Lounge By ThePastryDiva Updated 5 Nov 2005 , 8:42pm by Jackie

copperppot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
copperppot Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 2:06am
post #31 of 56

Aye, its turned into a nightmare of untold proportions I should say.

RaRaRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaRaRobyn Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 2:13am
post #32 of 56

Bubblezmom says:

"Becoming a pastry chef is a wonderful accomplishment. Someone wearing a hat isn't going to make her a pastry chef anymore than wearing a badge makes someone a police officer."

Which is exactly why no one should be upset if someone wears the hat or not. Going to culinary school is a wonderful feat!! I think its great. On the flipside, I would hate to think that someone would go merely to wear the chef's hat? It's a darn hat.

I have an Atlanta Braves hat, but I certainly don't think I'm a professional MALE baseball player. If it's sold in stores, anyone can wear it.

copperppot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
copperppot Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 2:20am
post #33 of 56

Aye, agian Miss Robyn your point well taken.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 3:35am
post #34 of 56

Hhmn, I take offense at a whole lotta things here. First of all, a toque is a winter hat, not a chef's hat, and usually is worn by someone that needs to wear it because they are literally freezing their buns off (and we ain't talking cinnamon buns here either) somewhere in Canada. It usually has a dumb looking pompom on the end of it, sometimes it has idiot strings on the chin part and even flaps that cover your ears, but a true "toque" is knitted in the ugliest colours you can find and worn by all true Canucks and should be worn by folks in Alaska and anywhere else you might lose an ear or two. Now maybe officially a chef's hat is a toque, but not in these here parts.
And about all of you that can actually fit in the smaller size chef's hat, hhmn, I resent that. My daughter has very thick long hair which she had to pin up under her chef's hat and therefore had to buy the really big one. I do not have really long thick hair and the darn thing fits, so what does that tell you! So quit your darn bragging all of you folks with the normal sized heads.
I promise not to wear the darn thing while on the site Diva, ok? And you are not allowed to wear yours until you are through with school - I will be watching for any reports of you wearing it ahead of time. And maybe one of our clever smilie and avatar experts can come up with a chef with a diploma, so we can choose between the two, although, I am thinking I should have a Certificate From the School of Hard Gnocchis? Oh Lisa... Cake Princess and other compu experts...
Hugs Squirrelly

RaRaRobyn Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 4:02am
post #35 of 56

Squirrelly..funny story about "big heads".

I recently took my 2 year old for her 2 year check-up. They measured her head and said "hmm..be right back"
They came back with a bigger tape measure and asked to measure mine and my husband's heads. Then the doctors said "ohhhh ok, its hereditary. Thank goodness"

icon_eek.gif How bad did I feel LOL!!!!!!!!! My head is even bigger than my husbands! I say its because I have hair and his is a high and tight, but in reality, my hair is not THAT thick...

Totally off topic, I know..but I had to share.

~I'm *hoping* you didn't take offense at anything I said, as I stated before, I'm not out to make anyone feel bad, just to prove a point!~

Robyn

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 4:12am
post #36 of 56

Is yout hubby in the marines?

RaRaRobyn Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 4:15am
post #37 of 56

No, he's Air Force..

SquirrellyCakes Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 4:23am
post #38 of 56

Haha, hhmn, well it is good to know that other people have a head that is off the charts, so to speak!
Uhhmn, hmnn, I am almost afraid to take the bait, but... Air Force, marines, head size?
Hugs Squirrelly

GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaJuarez Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 4:25am
post #39 of 56

OOO! I have a big head story for you. In the fourth grade, this boy had to write me an apology note for telling me that I had a big head. It went a little something like this:

"Dear Gina, I am sorry for saying that you have a big head. You really do not have a big head, and I am sorry for saying that you have a big head. Sincerely, Andrew"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Kinda funny how he managed to say it 3 times in the apology icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Sorry, just had to share.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 4:38am
post #40 of 56

Heehee, at least he didn't say:
"I am sorry your head is so big", heehee! Gosh, the things kids say though and we take it so much to heart when we are little.
Cute story!
Hugs Squirrelly

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 6:29am
post #41 of 56

Makes you wonder if you have to actually be wearing the hat, displaying your certificate, and maybe your receipts for payments for your schooling in order to bake properly. I don't think so!
Janice

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 6:39am
post #42 of 56

um..after spending almost 40g's on my culinary education..I would NOT appreciate seeing someone in a "chef" coat that wasn't a chef.

I'm sorry to me, that has always been a pet peeve of mine. It's like someone that is NOT a doctor wearing the white coat and scope
quote]

I would never wear a hat even if i had a degree because i just don't like them personally.
My point is there are so many people out there who are great chefs without any degree. Does that make them "less of a chef"??

AShiana

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 6:54am
post #43 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePastryDiva

lol, this opinion is humbly express with a great deal of trepadation.

I think this topic has gone WAY WAY off course. PastryDiva was just expressing her opinion and now it seems like people are making nasty remarks TOWARDS her.

Maybe it would be best just to leave this topic alone now. It seems that everyone interested has had a chance to express their opinions. Let's move on...BACK TO DECORATING EVERYONE!! icon_smile.gif

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 6:57am
post #44 of 56

llee815,

I totally agree with you...lets decorate!!

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 7:02am
post #45 of 56

I think that women as fat as myself should NOT wear a thong...any takers on this subject? REASONS? 1. You lose the string... 2. Nobody can tell you are wearing the damn thing 3. It looks funny when I wear just my thong and chefs hat...hehehe.........<running away>

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 7:09am
post #46 of 56

KayDay,

Funnnny icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 2:00pm
post #47 of 56

Geesh!! And I thought my post about "Saying something nice" got taken way out of context! This post was nuts!!
Poor Diva.....let's go easy on her!! We want to keep her happy...she has been, after all, a well of vaulable information and expertise on this site and we want her to stick around!!

I personally would feel funny wearing chef's gear since I'm not a bonified chef....but I was thinking maybe an apron, smock or tee-shirt with my company's logo ironed onto it might work when I set up at the craft/bridal shows.

That's not to say you couldn't wear whatever you wanted when out promoting your business........chef's toque, burka, hazmat suit or leiderhosen. We are in a free society, n'est-ce pas? As long as you are not naked in public.....

Ellen-

momlovestocook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momlovestocook Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 2:25pm
post #48 of 56

A thong and a chef's hat-my dh better not read this or he's going to get ideas icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Sandra
(who now has a new uniform to bake in LOL)

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 2:33pm
post #49 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayDay

I think that women as fat as myself should NOT wear a thong...any takers on this subject? REASONS? 1. You lose the string... 2. Nobody can tell you are wearing the damn thing 3. It looks funny when I wear just my thong and chefs hat...hehehe.........<running away>

Kayday you are one funny woman!!!
Guys this is after all a place where we can express our opinons!! icon_cool.gif

Happy Baking

Cake_Princess Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 2:54pm
post #50 of 56

EDITE BY JACKIE ON 11/06/2005

Comments removed at the request of Cake_Princess

RaRaRobyn Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 3:10pm
post #51 of 56

CakePrincess - Point well taken. I was hoping this thread would not be misinterpreted, but the point exists that hats are hats. Like I said, if I was wearing my Atlanta Braves hat, I would not want someone quietly thinking "Why is she wearing a Braves hat? She's not on the team." thumbsdown.gif

The Kitchen Store sells them, they're marketed by manufacturers. It's a puffy hat!! My kids have them as well. I wear them when I'm in a silly mood!! Like I said, hats are hats. Lots of people wear them. I've never seen a Jamacain man get angry over the hats that have dreadlocks coming out of them. Some people wear them for fun.

I have always thought of the Chef's outfit as a costume. If MelodysCakes was going to wear a clown costume, would a real life clown be offended? I doubt it. So, she's wearing a COSTUME to show she is a baker. A real life baker shouldn't be offended. It's called advertising.

I personally think PastryDiva has a right to her opinion, and if I was in her shoes, I can't say I wouldn't agree. There's so many people on this site, it would be truely very difficult to not offend someone with an opinion at some point. Now, I think it should be laid to rest. I merely was expressing another side of the spectra. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and everyone is ENTITLED to wear what they want!

CakePrincess - Yes, Matt has his own opinions about other branches of the military LOL...he gets so angry when other branches call the Air Force, THe "Chair Force" LOL!!! I happen to think that's quite clever!!

Cake_Princess Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 3:22pm
post #52 of 56

LOL the CHAIR FORCE... LOL... I like that. Funny how all the branches have names for each other.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 4:04pm
post #53 of 56

I think KAYDAY made an excellent effort to stop this thread from continuing....
Am I the only one who thinks it's a little less than nice?

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 4:38pm
post #54 of 56

Thanks everyone, for a good laugh! I read MelodysCakes topic yesterday, and totally agree that Diva's comments were take WAY to seriously. Diva, you have every right to be proud of your education, wear your coat and hat with pride. And KayDay, I love the thong comment, AMEN! After baking all night, you've made my morning, THANKS! icon_lol.gif

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 8:39pm
post #55 of 56

kayday, i must say i take offense to your thong comment.
it made me think of my own body (which is about 100 lbs overweight) and think of the missing thong straps......i didnt know wheather to laugh or cry.

hahahha, just joking, i about fell out of my chair laughing so hard....thanks for that laugh today!!!!!

you guys are great!!! i love the way we all have our own opinions, and we all come from different backgrounds, and different parts of the world. its amazing!
melody

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 8:42pm
post #56 of 56

Due to the many requests by CC members I am locking this topic.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%