Can I Admit A Cc Pet Peeve?? :o)

Lounge By jessieb578 Updated 2 Oct 2007 , 5:32pm by Heath

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 2:49am
post #61 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Cake Catastrophie please read

and in the middle of the thread somebody pops in and says....can anybody tell me where to find a.... (fill in the blank, nothing to do with the subject of the topic)

Or... in the middle of a thread... "Hey, so-n-so, what part of (fill in the state) are you from? AHHHHHHHHHH that's what the button that says PM is for!!!! Hahahahaha! Ok, is anyone else sorry that I found this thread?! I have to have more pet peeves than any living being on earth!! icon_lol.gif But I truly am a friendly and good natured person, I just get annoyed by little things. icon_wink.gif

Edited to add: it's all good natured ribbing of course... I don't seriously hate anyone for any of the things I've mentioned, or make plans to curse them! icon_wink.gif Heck, I'm even guilty of DOING some of them!!!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 2:53am
post #62 of 552

Hmmm.....

So ....what are you all wearing tonight LOL

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 2:56am
post #63 of 552
Quote:

Hmmm.....

So ....what are you all wearing tonight LOL

Hahahahhaha!!! *flying clothesline and putting her in a full nelson!*

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 2:58am
post #64 of 552

I have sat here and read each and every word of this entire post and I think I am more than qualified to add that there would be a lot less pet peeves if you would all simply join some of us in the cesspool, drinking, fireman thread. We really don't care what happens--nothing bothers us! icon_lol.gif

You will find us in the lounge! icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

wgoat5 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:02am
post #65 of 552

icon_biggrin.gif as long as we are doing cake shots and tequilla jello shooters Newtodecorating!! icon_biggrin.gif lol

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:02am
post #66 of 552

Is that thread still going on? Why am I not getting any of the notices of posts anymore?

That's a pet peeve I have, you start watching a thread and all of a sudden realize you are not getting the notices for it anymore!

wgoat5 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:10am
post #67 of 552

OOps did I hijack a thread?!? LOL

Thats another pet peeve in itself!!!

Laura I know how that is...and it might be just one day that I don't post to the topic and it like POOFs away somewhere....like some of the decorators...hmmm wonder if the dryer monster is stealing them to? icon_sad.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:12am
post #68 of 552

OK, we shouldn't post the flavors now?? You are going to HAVE to get the memo out then! I only post them because I thought we were "supposed" to (in the interest of CC etiquette); I assumed everyone here wanted all of the little nitty gritty details about the cake so we can get a visual on the cake and then get a "virtual taste" too. Oops! icon_redface.gif

Add me as another who doesn't have a problem w/the "look at my cake" threads. I figure, as long as someone doesn't do that all the time, everyone is going to have an occasional "look at me" moment where they just really want to share big-time rather than hoping people stumble across it in the galleries, when it's some really special creation. And as long as the topic was accurate "Look at my Cake", it's easy to skip 'em if I've reached my cake-ogling capacity for the day.

So in that regard MY little peeve (and it really is small, I don't actually care but it often makes me chuckle) is when people post comments about said cakes in the thread but never in the comments section of the cake's photo. I don't know why I find that so amusing, since I am of the firm opinion that nobody should ever feel obligated to comment on a pic just because they viewed it (see multitude of heated threads on that topic!) Anyway so remember: if you feel like people are trolling for comments, they often aren't getting them anyway when they do this (at least permanently attached to their gallery) - so, it all balances out icon_wink.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:13am
post #69 of 552

I don't think it's fair to assume that one who posts their cakes on a thread is fishing for remarks. The reasons you may not have thought of are as follows:

"I haven't ever come across this one...why have you been hiding it?"

"This is a perfect cake for my nephew's upcoming birthday! Do you mind giving me the directions?"

"You mailed a cake? How on earth can you do that?"

real quotes from CC members....

I love to help...always have and, time allowing, I always will. I currently have 31 pm's (all for directions) that need to be answered...I really don't need to fish for anything. icon_smile.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:31am
post #70 of 552

I don't mind cakes in posts - as long as there is a backstory, they are always cakes I would have missed anyway.

I am guilty of this cause I almost ALWAYS have a backstory LOL! and it's too long to post in the gallery!

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:09am
post #71 of 552

I have to admit that I am always afraid to offend or become someone's pet peeve! I value this site so much that I don't want to be blacklisted! My pet peeve is when people jump all over people for an innocent comment or because they "do" your pet peeve! I have become familiar with most of you here and can tell you that those who posted in this thread are always very gracious and helpful but wow, I have read some real nasty comments from some people, I tend to stay away from those threads.

wgoat5 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:12am
post #72 of 552

it can get hairy Carson...I tend to just read those topics...but I have put in my 2 cents worth....probably caught me at the wrong time of the month icon_sad.gif

lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:20am
post #73 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I enjoy the "story" of the cake. Not interested so much in the how's and sizes and matl's, (interested .... but not the main interest) but I LUV hearing how it was made for a lady's 95th birthday and it was the first birthday cake in her whole life, etc.

And yes.... PLEASE add keywords for the search!!!!

Thats good to know because I always add a story and as a newbie wasn't sure what else to put but wanted to put something. I've even had the comment... loved the story. I took it as a compliment as my skills aren't there for the offering just yet.

Carson Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:23am
post #74 of 552

I sometimes add a comment if I feel I need to defend a newbie (as it wasn't long ago that I was a newbie)!

I value everyones opinions (especially if I'm asking for it!) but there is never any reason to get mean! On the other hand, if you ask about your technique or want to be told what you can do better, be prepared to take it!

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:27am
post #75 of 552

I am guilty of some of those. icon_lol.gif
I guess one of my pet peeves is when I upload a cake I really like and 200 people look at it but only one or two people leave a comment. It's kind of embarrassing so I just delete it. icon_redface.gif Maybe we should see if they can get rid of that feature that shows how many views something got.

wgoat5 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:28am
post #76 of 552

You know what (and I'll be prepared to get shot down for this one also icon_biggrin.gif , but I don't mean to stir the pot really), I really never could figure out how some decorators "sell" their ideas on here....I heard people had to buy someones tutorials????? I know that it is their right but I always thought we were here to share...not sell.... JMO though

Carson Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:35am
post #77 of 552

That's a new one for me, really, sell their ideas? I'm kind of with you, wgoat5, if you don't want to share then this might be the wrong place for you. I think people should share what they like and "sell" on their own website - IMHO.

Patzzz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Patzzz Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:43am
post #78 of 552

I may be getting myself in trouble, but I needed to post this. I know I don't always have time to read every comment that is posted, so I can see where someone might repeat questions. Usually I'll look at the name of the person posting their cake, and only read their comments. That way I hope to not repeat.

darby822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darby822 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:49am
post #79 of 552

I have seen several forum topics lately where someone is upset because the picture they loaded in the gallery or the topic they posted has not gotten enough responses. The thing that drives me nuts is that they say things like:
" I can see how many views I have people. Can you not be bothered to comment?"

Well yes, as a matter of fact, if you are going to be snotty I cannot be bothered to comment. I wish someone would teach those people that you catch more flies with honey. I am new to cake decorating so I don't have much to add to any forum topic but I thought I was allowed to read anything. If I started commenting just because I read the thread I would end up on the pet peeve list for superfluous posting!

wgoat5 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:54am
post #80 of 552

You know I was always taught to Kill um with kindness...like the always catch more flies with honey statement....I understand not even 3/4 of the people on this website will like my cakes...but you know what??? I am proud of my accomplishments...and everybody should be proud of their accomplishments!!! Not just to get comments...not to get views....I started my portfolio for my cakes after I started posting my cakes here. I think you will find many of the people get upset because people save their cakes and don't want to bother posting a comment...could have problems like mine though...takes forever to do any of that..but I do try everytime.

I comment on what and when I can...I have dial up still and it is so slow and most of the time times out on me...so I know I should comment but after a hour of looking at a total of like 10 cakes I give up icon_sad.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 5:01am
post #81 of 552
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGoodies

Ok now that I'm out of the shower and have stopped crying lmfao icon_wink.gif

Oh THAT was a "burst out loud laugh" line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGoodies

My biggest pet peeve is when people take the time to post their picture in the gallery, will name the picture, but will not put any information at all! about the picture, and won't put in search words so that it is searchable...

I enjoy the "story" of the cake. Not interested so much in the how's and sizes and matl's, (interested .... but not the main interest) but I LUV hearing how it was made for a lady's 95th birthday and it was the first birthday cake in her whole life, etc.

And yes.... PLEASE add keywords for the search!!!!

actually I do like seeing the sizes- i for one am one of those annoying folks who'd like to know what sizes were used in case someday i might want to try my hand at a similar model of cake icon_smile.gif i dont mind the flavors being posted- i'm not talented enough to create them myself but i get a nice mental image of what it might taste like icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 7:14am
post #82 of 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:

Oh goodness... I have to jump in here... I also LOVE hearing the 'why' of the cake. I adore hearing how this is the cake someone did for their little old grandma, or their baby's first b-day etc. but you know what information I am NOT crazy about seeing... (oh god, don't slap me) "flavors". Firstly, the flavors that you chose have nothing to do with the pic I am seeing, I can't see the flavors, but more importantly if you list what they are... I might have to come harass you for recipes... not to mention that when they are GOOD flavors, I am forced to prowl in front of the fridge and desperately try to convince myself that I DON'T need to get out the Hershey's syrup and drink straight from the bottle! icon_wink.gif Aren't I awful! I especially hate when flavors are the only information that someone leaves. Ugh... kill me now! I know nothing about how you made your cake, but I do know I'm going to be on your doorstep for a slice of it! icon_lol.gif

Ok, I admit.. I have put flavors, BUT.. that is because when I first started coming here, and I looked at the cakes, I saw almost all of them had the flavors of the cake and what mediums were used and that was it. So, I thought that was what we were supposed to do when putting in a description. (I know better now icon_wink.gif)

I don't mind the threads that say look at this cake, because quite simply, I miss a lot of good cakes while I'm sleeping, and those threads almost always have a good story attached to the photo. Something that isn't so in the gallery. So, I really like those threads. However, I don't usually leave a comment in the gallery, instead I leave it in the thread where the cake is posted.

My pet peeve.. People that post a cake and it's absolutely gorgeous, and they get like 50 comments on how great it is, and 27 of those are "how did you do blah blah blah", and the person who posted the cake never stops in to say Thank you for all the wonderful comments, or I did it like this, or I'm sorry but that is what sets me out from other decorators and I'd rather not share that piece of information (completely understandable if it's something original and they're afraid of the competition, I guess), but come on people! At least say thank you!

I know I have a lot of posts here, because I have no life, but I am still fairly new, and I am still learning, so I hope that everyone takes a lot of the things I say with a grain of salt, sometimes. Someone posted earlier that sometimes our skin is a little thin at times (something to that affect), and I'm no exception to the rule. I rubbed someone the wrong way the other day, and it wasn't my intention, and I felt really bad for it, but I stand by what I said. I think I could have worded it better, though. I guess that's another pet peeve, though.. People who post mean or hurtful things, then when something is said to them about it, they get defensive and think they should have had a right to say the mean things they did, just because it's how they felt, but nothing should have been said to them about it. (I am not saying this to start an argument, just voicing a pet peeve, and I won't respond to anyone who tries to start an argument over this.. I'm not here to argue, just to learn, and to help when I can)

Anyway . . .

Quote:

Oh I have another good one...what about when the topic reads something to this affect

Cake Catastrophie please read

and in the middle of the thread somebody pops in and says....can anybody tell me where to find a.... (fill in the blank, nothing to do with the subject of the topic)

Or......somebody does this to one of your pics..

looks um.....................................good

icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

Now kiddos if ya can't say anything worth saying dont say anything at all....at least say...YOUR CAKE REALLY NEEDS WORK...not a bunch a dots and some ummms and ohhs and stuff....how do I know what your dots mean? LOL

I believe the dots are to indicate a long pause, since you can't hear such things in text, but I find this to be rather rude. I do use dots myself to indicate a pause, but never more than three to four, and it's almost always in a joking manner, or you know like up there *points up* where I said anyway, it was to emphasize the word anyway was drawn out, or there is more to come. I would never leave a comment like that under someone's photo, though. If I thought the cake was just absolutely horrible, and they didn't actually ask for constructive criticism (actually even if they did) I probably just wouldn't say anything, so as not to hurt anyone's feelings.

So, just a little look into me and my peeves. icon_biggrin.gif

Holly

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 7:28am
post #83 of 552

well my number one peeve is .....
asking a question in forum...THE CORRECT FORUM too mind you, and seeing that over sixty people have read it...and not a single reply?

or taking the time to politely PM and ask a quick question and never, after weeks...getting a response...

when personally, i reply asap even if i cant help...ya know

its just disappointing i guess

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 8:53am
post #84 of 552

Well I for once LOVE hearing about flavors. So please post them, I love getting inspiration for new combos.

Oh and please post if your flowers are gumpaste or real. I want to know icon_lol.gif

JanetPlanet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetPlanet Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 9:17am
post #85 of 552

Yes, please post the cake sizes if it is relevent ~ like with mini-cakes!

Here's what bugs me (along with a few already mentioned icon_lol.gif ) ...

1) Taking personal credit for their "amazing creativity!" when it was very clearly a copy (or minor change like colors) of another cakemaker's work ~ like Colette or great designers here at CC. The worst example of this was a copy of the "raw steak" cake done by Mike's Amazing Cakes (that he did several years ago). Mike put the cake in a foam tray just like at the grocery ~ covered in plastic with a bar-code sticker. I couldn't believe my eyes when somebody here made a copy and then accepted all the congratulations on her creative cake ty! ty! ~ and even said her clever hubby came up with the bar-code label idea! icon_surprised.gif That's plain wrong!

Side note to that ~ I also saw a famous "copy cake" posted that was made from a magazine photo brought in by the bride. Somebody mentioned in comments who originally did the cake, and she then gave proper credit thumbs_up.gif

2) Somebody will post an elaborate or original cake, give basic info, answer simple questions in comments, and then I see this: "OMG! My aunt would LOVE that cake! Please send me directions! My email is ( ). Thanks in advance!"

I know that's not MY problem, but geez, they should at least send a PM, and not be offended if somebody politely refuses to share an original design. They take 10 seconds posting the request, with thanks "in advance", and expect somebody to type out a TUTORIAL?

3) It can't hurt to repeat how rude it is to specifically ASK for input/opinions and then never thank the people that took the time to respond. I've got a pic in my favorites that I check now and then just to see if that person will ever thank the 50+ people that did comment, and weeks later there is still nothing (and yeah, I've got too much time on my hands right now lolol!) ...to me it says a lot about that person.

There! Now I feel better, thank you very much!

gingerkitten79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerkitten79 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 9:42am
post #86 of 552

i can imagine would be very frustrating for the people with the most popular pics in the gallery get so many replies saying
"wow so great, please email me directions to [email protected]" etc etc...
Instead of wanting to copy someones cake, take a little initiative and try to make the idea work for you.
I'm sure the owner or the pic has better things to do with their time to send people instructions.
Not thats its happened to me...
icon_wink.gif

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 10:53am
post #87 of 552

This has been an informative thread. I wish everyone would add keywords for searches on every cake. I get so frustrated when I search and get nothing and I know there are cakes out there. But! When I was new I had no clue what the keywords were for until I read a thread similar to this one.

On the other hand I am guilty stating flavors and sizes. I do like to know sizes because it gives me a perspective for adapting it to my needs.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 11:46am
post #88 of 552

I thought that maybe it was just the "newbies" that weren't adding details and key words... but then I check the person's profile to pm them and ask them the missing details that are needed/wanted to be known, and they've been a member for much much longer then I have been and have many pages of cakes uploaded and not a single note or anything WITH the picture... but SOME of them come back and give small details in comments... well it doesn't search comments for key words it only searches cake name and keywords listed... so if you're willing to come back later and comment your own photo with the details.... why not just take a few extra seconds to type them out BEFORE uploading... or edit it once asked and add them in to the picture it self instead adding another comment to your photo? lol I dunno just something that really bugs me lol.

Also have to agree with the "don't wanna step on toes" comments here. I'm not a newbie but I still walk on the edge sometimes because I'm scared to death to step on someone's toes and be blacklisted.

Another thing that bugs me is when a thread does get a touch heated and it's left unlocked for more posts, and someone comes in and strongly disagrees with the current ring leader (weather the OP or not...) all hell breaks loose that someone actually had the cake balls to stand up and say something against that person lmfao and eventually it gets locked... The way I see it is if one person can share their opinion heatedly why can't everyone else? It's not fair that only one person is allowed to stand up and scream at someone for something. We should all be able to scream at the OS (original screamer icon_wink.gif) for doing wrong lol... I dunno I guess I'm still stuck in the whole baby of the family thing and having to fight for what I want lmfao

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 11:47am
post #89 of 552

Here is my #1 pet peeve on here...
When someone posts a problem in a thread and ask for encouragement or advice and they get advice and then say "i already knew that" or "I know what I need to do" or starts arguing with every post trying to help them...
UM...WHY DID YOU FREAKING POST THE THREAD THEN??????

If you just wanted agreements and sympathy then just say that so I can move on!!

Ok...i feel better now icon_biggrin.gif

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 12:03pm
post #90 of 552
Quote:

What really grabs my a$$ is when someone posts a topic...then 3 minutes they post to their own topic with a "ANYBODY icon_confused.gif " LOL

I agree with you on this one. Give people a chance to find your message, read your message, and then decide if they can help you with your message. No one is on a campaign to NOT answer your questions, just give them time. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%