$750 For This??

Decorating By loriana Updated 5 Sep 2007 , 6:18pm by wendy1273

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 47

Ok People Magazine decided on the best cakes by state. I think they made some good choices, but a few of these made me ask "what the BLEEP?"

Here's an example. $750 for a ribbon-edged cupcake tree? You have got to be kidding:

http://www.people.com/people/package/gallery/0,,20042118_20041107_39,00.html

Especially when the very next photo is a gorgeous fondant 3-tier for $450:

http://www.people.com/people/package/gallery/0,,20042118_20041107_40,00.html

Anyway, what say you guys?

46 replies
Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 47

..... not sure, but perhaps it has to do with the flavors as well...

a bump anyway for ya!

Jen

wendy1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendy1273 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 47

That is crazy; there are so many beautiful cakes worth a lot more than those cup cakes.
I cant believe that someone would pay that much for cup cakes and they are not even that well decorated.

loriana Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 47

I agree they werent even that well decorated. I mean they were ok for charging $1.50 a serving, but for charging $4-5.00 a serving, forgettaboutit!

I saw a cake on there after I posted this for $12 a serving. It was SO not worth $12 a serving. Not even top designers, save a few in upper Manhattan, charge such a rate.

Oh last note, check out Hawaii's top cake. Unbelievable! icon_eek.gif

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:11pm
post #5 of 47

Yeah, I noticed that too. The pricing was all over the map!! There's places around here (Providence area) that start fondant at $7 per person. That seems pretty high to me!

Courtney

loriana Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 47

Oh btw, here's the link to Hawaii:

(seems like a STEAL for $960!):

http://www.people.com/people/package/gallery/0,,20042118_20041107_11,00.html

I want someone to work with me on gumpaste hibiscus like this icon_smile.gif

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 47

Im in Rhode Island and if thats the going rate on cup cakes than the price just went UP for my cakes!! Jeese Louise!!

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 47

that hawwaiian cake is one of my favorites...it is so beautifully done.....how do you think they did the bamboo??? with fondant?? bc??? candy clay?? i just want to know!!!!!! beautiful!!!!!!!

Mickig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickig Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:25pm
post #9 of 47

Maybe they had a bunch of those trees...like a dozen of them or something...full of cupcakes???

Mickig icon_confused.gif

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:27pm
post #10 of 47

Pricing was so wild around the country and nobody has mentioned that some of those cakes are pretty ugly. Well at least I think so. tapedshut.gif

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:29pm
post #11 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriana

Oh btw, here's the link to Hawaii:

(seems like a STEAL for $960!):

http://www.people.com/people/package/gallery/0,,20042118_20041107_11,00.html

I want someone to work with me on gumpaste hibiscus like this icon_smile.gif

OMG! It's beautiful and the flavors sound delicious icon_eek.gif

I saw one for $4300. Yikes!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:30pm
post #12 of 47

Wow, those are amazing, ok, I'll be the devil's advocate, maybe there were 5 of those trees? Right?? Then it would make sense right????

I sure hope there were 5 of those cupcake trees, otherwise, someone better get in touch with the new couple and provide some really needed financial advice or a cup of reality or life is going to be pretty expensive!

Good Luck.

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:39pm
post #13 of 47

I guess some people have more money than sense.

DuckyChickenLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DuckyChickenLady Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:04pm
post #14 of 47

I need to charge more...lol--- icon_eek.gificon_surprised.giftapedshut.gif

mitsel8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mitsel8 Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 10:42pm
post #15 of 47

Thanks for the link!
Love Hawaii's cake.
Check out the baker's website.
He has some very unique, beautiful cakes!

mccorda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccorda Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 2:49am
post #16 of 47

Did you see that Charm City Cakes and Cakes by Sam have cakes listed?
Were there any others there that fellow CCers know?

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 3:23am
post #17 of 47

there is a fellow cc'er that made the list... you can find it if you do a search.

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 3:37am
post #18 of 47

Expensive cupcakes, I'd eat one. I can't imagine any cupcake worth that much. (not to take anything away from the bake) I just think that's INSANE! There is some amazing talent in that magazine and congrats to every person who's featured, even the cupcake people.

loriana Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 3:42am
post #19 of 47

Yeah I agree, I have had a chance to check out Cakelava (The Hawaiian cake decorator) and he seems to do a lot of cakes with the bamboo technique. It looks like that is his "niche" which is awesome.

I dunno, upon looking at the pictures, they look like they are made with a custom silicon mold and fondant or gumpaste. I say that because they all look too close in color and molding so they must be made of one mold *shrug* just a guess.

OMG, that cake for $4300 was way over-priced too. I mean there are some great cakes sold for $4300 but that wasnt worth it IMO. I think Ill email him and ask him about the bamboo and tell him inquiring minds want to know. Its not like we will be much competition to him if he isnt on the mainland...

Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 3:54am
post #20 of 47

South Dakota is a fellow CC'er! I adore that cake and that was the one I was planning on using for inspiration for my Birthday cake. (which will now be a house warming cake) icon_smile.gif!!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 4:00am
post #21 of 47

Kentucky cake is by our own leahs! Awesome work!
http://www.people.com/people/package/gallery/0,,20042118_20041107_17,00.html

Frankly, I found Duff's entry for Maryland rather so-so. Even looked like bulges under the fondant.
http://www.people.com/people/package/gallery/0,,20042118_20041107_20,00.html

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 4:07am
post #22 of 47

Yikes, if you count those cupcakes and do the math, there's gotta be 60 of them on the stand, tops. That's $12.50 a cupcake??

Thanks for the cool link- these are a blast to look at and reading all of the interesting flavor combos definitely gets me thinking!!

I wonder how they selected these cakes?

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 4:12am
post #23 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1273

I cant believe that someone would pay that much for cup cakes and they are not even that well decorated.

I hope the person that made those cupcakes is not a member of this site and come across your comment.

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 4:25am
post #24 of 47

I personally could not justify charging someone $750.00 for cupcakes. There's almost zero labor involved...the cupcakes weren't spectacularly decorated...and the ribbon just cheapened the look of the whole thing. But...the fact that people are willing to pay $750.00 for cupcakes makes me feel pretty darn relieved to be in this industry!! Just wish I could find some of those suckers...er...I mean customers!!

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 4:25am
post #25 of 47

Maybe the couple had ordered more cupcakes but they weren't in the picture. Those cupcake stands only fit about 90 cupcakes.
And if you charged $1.50 for about 500 cupcakes, $750 is quite acurate.

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 4:30am
post #26 of 47

Note that each cupcake has a lobster on it. It could very well be that they are hand molded from fondant or modeling chocolate, or at the very least, a custom mold. The flavors sound upscale, and like they are filled.
Anyone who could command $12.50 per cupcake not only doesn't get my scorn, but they get my admiration!
And if they are a CC'er, I hope they'll share how they it!

Alligande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alligande Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 12:35pm
post #27 of 47

A couple of things to consider we don't know how many cupcakes there were, but from meeting brides who have had consultations with him I am sure they were not $1.50, Roy is not cheap he books as many wedding cakes as he wants, and has a great reputation. But I also would not do those cupcakes cheaply you have to make the lobsters, etc time is money they may only be cupcakes, but if he is making those cupcakes, it would be time he could not spend working on a more expensive cake.

sugarsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugar Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 3:35pm
post #28 of 47

I find it interesting that so many people feel comfortable basically bashing the work of other decorators in a magazine, but if it were known they were members of CC it wouldn't be tolerated. FYI, many of the decorators showcased in that "People" issue are smaller decorators - some home-based, even, from states that allow home bakers, and many COULD be members here. Something to think about...

I also can't understand why we, as a community of cake decorators - many of whom post frequently about our work being undervalued, dealing with customers who balk at paying fair prices, struggling to have people understand the difference in our product vs. something generic from Wal-Mart - aren't REJOICING to see others getting paid fairly (and sometimes more than fairly) for their work...even if it isn't us (yet!)? Laughing at the prices some of these decorators have received for their work is basically behaving like that cheap-o customer we all complain about. No one will value your work if you don't - I say BRAVO to these people for setting their prices, sticking to them, and finding the customers who will pay.

I guess I just get frustrated at the cattiness that seems to exist in this profession sometimes. We should be supporting each other, cheering for every little guy who makes it and reaches the (pardon the pun) top tier of this world of ours - not tearing them down, laughing at their skills, balking at their prices, and basically saying they suck.

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 6:07pm
post #29 of 47

There is just no way you could get me to make those cupcakes for $1.50. Are you kidding me. Those lobsters on top takes ages to make, and all those flavors are not just poured out of a box either.

I find it very odd that you bash the price, seing how you would all say your hoorays if a CC'er posted about getting that price for their work.

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 1:49am
post #30 of 47

Amen Sugarsugar!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%