Posted by kakeladiKakeladi's ORIGINAL White Almond Sour Cream cake recipe. Read thru the whole recipe before you start. Note the extra info at the end. Enjoy your baking!
The *Original* WASC cake recipe
- The *original* WASC cake recipe by kakeladi 1 box cake mix (I prefer Betty Crocker) *see notes at end 1 cup flour* 1 cup granulated sugar generous dash of salt 1 cup sour cream* 1 cup water * 3 whole eggs 1 tablespoon flavoring*
- In bowl mix together dry ingredients. It's helpful to use a wire whisk; important w/choco cake not so much for other flavors.
- In mixer bowl place next 4 ingredients. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients and blend together, then add the rest of the dry ingredients & blend. Mix for 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pans * and bake as usual.
- *NOTES: *ANY* cake flavor can be used. Some tell me they just dump all ingredients into the bowl together others say they sift all dry ingredients together.
- Match the flavoring to the cake flavor such use lemon/almond mix for lemon cake; strawberry for a strawberry cake etc, etc. For most flavors you can use a mixture of vanilla, butter, and almond which is what I do most of the time.
- You can use milk, juice, thawed fzn concentrates, soda pop (ie: Coke) cream or just about anything wet for the liquid.
- This recipe is based on mixing in a kitchenaid mixer. I use position #1 to stir it, then #4 to mix the batter.
- Most of the time I forget to add the salt:)
- On rare occasions I have used other brands of mix.
- This makes the amount of batter as if you used 1 1/2 mixes and is perfect for a 10" sq OR 9x13 OR one 8" & two 6" round;OR two 8"rounds OR a 12" round; and other combinations of pans.
- I prefer to bake at 300 degrees for about 20-30 minutes (depending on size of cake) then turn oven up to 325 for about an equal time. If cake has pulled away from sides it is overbaked. After cooling, the top might be a bit sticky.
- Some people have told me they use plain or flavored yogurt instead of sour cream.
- I've always used all purpose flour. Some tell me they use cake flour but then the amount is less - maybe 3/4 cup - not sure.
- The flavoring I most often use is this mixture:
- 1 part vanilla extract
- 1/2 part butter flavoring
- 1/4 part almond flavoring
- A "Part" is any measure be it teaspoon; tablespoon; cup or quart Smile Since I made many wedding cakes I usually mixed it up by the cup:) Lots of calories, sugar, and fat - the same as any other cake :)