This recipe is one I decided to experiment with on a non-busy weekend. The recipe is very moist and flavorful. It is a great 2 8-inch layer cake with cream cheese icing.
Dreamy Orange Cake
1 (18.5 ounce) white cake mix (preferably Pillsbury)
- 1 small package of orange gelatin
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of oil
- 1/2 cup of orange juice
- 4 eggs
- 2 tspns of baking powder
- 1-2 tspns of orange extract
Cream Cheese Icing:
1 stick of unsalted butter
- 2 8oz packages of cream cheese
- 1 2lb pound of powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup of shortnening
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour 8×2 cake pan.
- Combine cake mix, orange gelatin, oil and milk. Start mixer then begin adding eggs one at a time. Add orange juice while cake is still mixing. Then add baking powder and orange extract.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes depending on type of oven and cake pan.
- Cream together butter, cream cheese and shortening. Then add powdered sugar. No need to add flavor unless desired. Icing can be used to decorate stars and borders.
- Omit shortnening if this is for a non-decorated cake.
Why the baking powder? Just wondering.