So Quiet Over Here...

Baking By -K8memphis Updated 4 Jan 2021 , 2:11pm by kakeladi

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Nov 2020 , 3:29pm
post #31 of 186

So Quiet Over Here...Ooohh heaven ms this conversation has me SOOO SOOO hungry.   I come from a very small family— no grandparents just one aunt, uncle & their son (who almost never came) a bro & sis — the total of my family so never had big gatherings.  hubs also came from similar family & never saw any of them.  

I’ve heard of massaging kale -tried a couple times but didn’t seem to make a difference so forget that!   

No plans here at all   New lockdown rules back again yesterday after having been lifted some just less than a month:(    Since reading this I think I’ll get me a lobster tall & some stovetop stuffing:)  I’m not supposed to have  any wheat, dairy or sugar  — daughter read me riot act the other day again as she blames an ear infection on my eating:(   Not easy to change 80 yrs of eating habits in just a couple of days which is what she is expecting but then to be truthful I’m not trying very hard.  

I’m working on a couple of cake orders— not going well as I don’t have the right equipment:(   I’ve spent probably $75-100 on equipment/supplies already for 2 free cakes & still need more things.    How am I ever going to roll out a strip of fondant long enough to wrap around an 8” cake when the only counter space is about 20”x28”?? 

kakeladi Posted 17 Nov 2020 , 4:02pm
post #32 of 186

So Quiet Over Here...Ooohh heaven ms this conversation has me SOOO SOOO hungry.   I come from a very small family— no grandparents just one aunt, uncle & their son (who almost never came) a bro & sis — the total of my family so never had big gatherings.  hubs also came from similar family & never saw any of them.  

I’ve heard of massaging kale -tried a couple times but didn’t seem to make a difference so forget that!   

No plans here at all   New lockdown rules back again yesterday after having been lifted some just less than a month:(    Since reading this I think I’ll get me a lobster tall & some stovetop stuffing:)  I’m not supposed to have  any wheat, dairy or sugar  — daughter read me riot act the other day again as she blames an ear infection on my eating:(   Not easy to change 80 yrs of eating habits in just a couple of days which is what she is expecting but then to be truthful I’m not trying very hard.  

I’m working on a couple of cake orders— not going well as I don’t have the right equipment:(   I’ve spent probably $75-100 on equipment/supplies already for 2 free cakes & still need more things.    How am I ever going to roll out a strip of fondant long enough to wrap around an 8” cake when the only counter space is about 20”x28”?? 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Nov 2020 , 4:15pm
post #33 of 186

lynne -- what a sweet kitchen -- if it helps, 25 inches is the circumference of an 8" so you just made it -- plus you could always make two joins in the back if necessary -- y'know like three or four inches apart to give you some leeway --

did you massage your kale in your kitchen aid -- do you still have a mixer?

yeah, I'm dairy, sugar and gluten free, as well as corn and egg free too, no processed foods -- it's NOT EASY but since I have very good results when I'm good -- it's a great incentive -- been at it for over two years -- I mean I drink water with a cup of decaf every other month or something -- but I know how to cheat carefully too -- but I never cheat on sugar -- sugar killeth me -- but not sure if you can exactly get an ear infection from not eating right but anything's possible --

omg yes! this thread makes me drool! 

-K8memphis Posted 17 Nov 2020 , 4:30pm
post #34 of 186

you  know how to make the seams disappear yes? put them around the inside of the cake pan -- over lap them and cut through both at the same time on a diagonal then remove the excess, roll it up and when you wrap it around the cake the join will disappear -- not that you didn't already know that ~ that was for just in case blush

it:s really cool you can still do cakes!!!! clap

-K8memphis Posted 17 Nov 2020 , 4:33pm
post #35 of 186

I mean I drink water -- once in a blue moon I have a decaf

-K8memphis Posted 17 Nov 2020 , 4:44pm
post #36 of 186

YES!! get the lobster!!!! they do carry gluten free stuffing mix -- whole paycheck, er I mean whole foods has some delicious gf rolls and breads in their freezer section too -- the Hawaii rolls are fab u lous ~

now I'm all happy thinking about you and a nice fat lobster for thanksgiving!!!! raised_hands 

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 17 Nov 2020 , 11:07pm
post #37 of 186

I'm putting together some Gingerbread House Kits.

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 18 Nov 2020 , 12:17am
post #38 of 186

Goodness Kakeladi, what a cute, cozy, sweet kitchen! What I admire most about you is such a strong spirit (and personality!) Keep going ma'am I'm probably half you age, and half your energy!

kakeladi Posted 18 Nov 2020 , 2:58am
post #39 of 186

Sweet??  Cozy?? U guys are weird:(   See that wall oven peeking out around the fridge?  Can’t use it—can’t remember exactly why -it leaks fumes & sets off the fire alarms :(   All I have to bake in is a toaster oven.  The counter space is the right hand of the pic—actually measured 18”x33”   

Finished one cake today for the am & the next is for The 20th.   Have to go bake it now as I have 2 appointments & the delivery in the am 

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 18 Nov 2020 , 7:17pm
post #40 of 186

So for whatever reason I no longer get notifications to responses on threads I am on. GRRRR  So I missed many luscious descriptions.

Kate - my stuffing is always GF. My family's stuffing has no bread and others have 'argued' it isn't really stuffing.  It's the time of year when whatever your family makes is the perfect thing so I don't listen to their argument. My stuffing is rice, chopmeat, mushrooms as the main ingredients. some butter of course and eggs to keep it together and it is soo good.  I do not make it any other time of year but there were a couple of exceptions over the years.  The year one of my sisters was having a major back surgery I thought we needed a pick-me-up and another year my brother was out from Arizona in the summer so that was exception #2. 

Isn't it funny how we think of some things as holiday only? This year I made my Christmas biscotti monthly for my husband and I - yup I am a rule breaker lol!  And it felt good!  I think it's the same as people only breaking out the good-china for a special occasion.  If we learned nothing else this crazy year, it's LET'S NOT WAIT FOR A SPECIAL OCCASION!  

Enjoy everyone! 

T

-K8memphis Posted 18 Nov 2020 , 9:56pm
post #41 of 186

theresa, you wild rule breaker you, coloring outside the biscotti lines --- but yes it is curious how we do that -- I too have certain salads and dishes that only come out for the hoidays

heart wow what a Great Post -- wise and true heart

keep me updated on what time for the stuffing drop!!! 

heart_eyes

btw -- 'stuffing' to moi is whatever you stuff in there! 

-K8memphis Posted 18 Nov 2020 , 10:02pm
post #42 of 186

whatthedogate -- happy gingerbread houses to you!

(i love to work with gingerbread!)

kakeladi Posted 19 Nov 2020 , 1:57am
post #43 of 186

Yuck!!  Nothing going right today.  Took almost ::&” minutes to load a couple pix but now they are not here:(   

Anyway this is a big shout out to K8 for that info re 8” round.  That helped.   I chose to add the fondant strip in 2 pieces for ease of handling.   The design really didn’t make any difference if a solid wrap so took easy way out.   I’ll try again to get pic attached before I send this.   I don’t deliver until Friday am.

This morning’s delivery was a mess.  The GPS sent me on a wild goose chase:(   Finally stopped for some help, got there with just 15 minutes left to a 2 hr delivery window to find the head broken off! No way to do anything about it.  So Quiet Over Here...

So Quiet Over Here...

-K8memphis Posted 19 Nov 2020 , 2:06am
post #44 of 186

heartpurple_heartgreen_heartyellow_heartblue_heartheartpurple_heartgreen_heartyellow_heartblue_heartheartpurple_heartgreen_heartyellow_heartblue_heartheartpurple_heartgreen_heartyellow_heartblue_heartheartpurple_heartgreen_heartyellow_heartblue_heartheartpurple_heartgreen_heartyellow_heartblue_heartheartpurple_heartgreen_heartyellow_heartblue_heartheartpurple_heartgreen_heartyellow_heartblue_heartheartpurple_heartgreen_heartyellow_heartblue_heart

thank you lynne -- glad that helped! sorry you had such a time with the gps and stuff -- those are real cute cakes -- it's so awesome you are still at it!!!!! forget the oven that doesn't work, forget the head that fell off, forget the stupid gps -- YOU still out there doing your cake thing (without a dang oven might i add) is the biggest best bubbliest news story!!!! go for it, lynnie!!!

heartpurple_heartgreen_heartyellow_heartblue_heartheartpurple_heartgreen_heartyellow_heartblue_heartheartpurple_heartgreen_heartyellow_heartblue_heartheartpurple_heartgreen_heartyellow_heartblue_heartheartpurple_heartgreen_heartyellow_heartblue_heartheartpurple_heartgreen_heartyellow_heartblue_heartheartpurple_heartgreen_heartyellow_heartblue_heartheartpurple_heartgreen_heartyellow_heartblue_heartheartpurple_heartgreen_heartyellow_heartblue_heart

kakeladi Posted 19 Nov 2020 , 5:46am
post #45 of 186

So Quiet Over Here...Here’s the finished cake (with your help K8) for Friday.   It is not what I had planned in my mind but im pleased with it.   Oh how good it feels to be back in the saddle again!   Only took a couple hours since I had most of the decorations made last week.   Supposed to tag it as it’s for cake4kids but have no idea how to tag:)  

-K8memphis Posted 19 Nov 2020 , 12:01pm
post #46 of 186

Lynne! I LOVE that -- Ruben is gonna be one happy guy! wow not only are you still out there -- you still got it blush

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 Nov 2020 , 3:06pm
post #47 of 186

Both of your cakes are fabulous, Lynne!  It is sad that the little llama lost its head, but you had me at those perfect little puffs on the bottom border!  Your Call of Duty cake turned out great!  As K8 said, Ruben is going to be tickled pink!

theresaf Posted 19 Nov 2020 , 8:19pm
post #48 of 186

Lynne - your cakes came out great and I think we all feel great for you that you did that as gifts! 

Before we moved two years ago I had the smallest shoebox kitchen and never felt like I had anywhere to put anything - I'd even set up folding tables in the living room when it was time for mass Christmas cookie baking.  yeaaa my husband loved that lol. So we moved to a spot with a brand new kitchen and a 6' island and you know what - yes you know - when I am making something complicated I STILL could use more room.  The truth is we use whatever room we've got and Lynne you have it figured out!!!

And Sandra - your idea of if only we could get together with the world's longest table and treat ourselves - that would be fun and it's nice to think about.

So in the meantime, Kate, just wait by the door on Thanksgiving morning for the stuffing drop - winkwink and I will think of you!

ReginaCoeliB Posted 19 Nov 2020 , 10:49pm
post #49 of 186

It will be just fun to set up a zoom meeting and try to match everyone of us with our real selves... I think beyond Sandra, whose icon is herself...I could not tell who is who... It is just interesting how much we love and help each other, and we might cross the same street without knowing who we are! 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 19 Nov 2020 , 11:30pm
post #50 of 186

Wow

Logged on today with 22 notifications!!! Like Teresa, for some reason my notifications have stopped from CC. Annoying. 

K8/Kate We buy nothing but organic meat. Not only does it taste better, but it’s not filled with chemicals. 

Kakeladi/Lynne Kale....ya I try massaging. Nope...I buy kale all done massaged....

Lobster and stuffing sounds delish. As for stuffing....I’d probably buy gluten free bread to make stuffing. I’ve been doing Keto for 3 weeks and have lost weight. First week was really tough. So no wheat, sugar, although I’m allowed dairy. But I use cashew milk. Which I prefer over cow’s milk. I do eat cheese, which I guess Lynne, you’re not allowed. But I also use Dahlia cheese substitute, which I quite like. I’m only staying on Keto until I’ve lost the lbs I put on at the beginning of the pandemic. I will be fortunate enough to eventually to introduce wheat back into my diet. Although will be limited. I totally understand how those 3 things can create inflammation in the body.

Teresa’s rice stuffing sounds yummy too!!

I love your little kitchen. Mine was very small too until we did our remodel. I bought an Ikea island with a wooden top. That was my “counter” for years. Island is now downstairs as my main caking unit in my decorating corner. I’m curious why you and your daughter don’t look into why the wall oven doesn’t work??? Could be a simple fix, or again need replacing. But you can’t know unless a repairman takes a look. 

So having fun with cake decorating...and having to buy tools....yikes. But both your cakes look great. Love your little Llama. Shame he got decapitated. Kinda stunk your gps took you on a wild goose chase. You eventually got there tho!!  I had a fairly heavy card table I use to able to open up and use for extra space when doing my cake decorating. But that might be too low for rolling out fondant. Although I have sat at the card table and rolled out fondant. 

whatthegogate....because our Christmas is going to be very small, possibly just hubby/kids/grandkids...9 of us, don’t think I will be doing a gingerbread house this year. I admit I bought a gingerbread “kit” last year. I would normally make my own.  All the kids demolished on Christmas Eve. I most definitely will be making gingerbread cookies!! 

Teresa So glad you got your dream kitchen....I don’t have an island, but a peninsula. But I have a TON of counter space now with my new kitchen. 

And I thought I went through all of the posts, think I missed something. Sandra’s “longest table and treat ourselves”. 

And the “Zoom” meeting I totally missed!!! My husband Zooms with his brother and good friend. But his friend has a corporate account. So they can talk as long as they want. Ditto with my bible study, also corporate account. A regular Zoom only allows you I think like, 30 minutes to an hour. An hour is nothing when friends get together to chat!!!!! 

SandraSmiley Posted 20 Nov 2020 , 12:41am
post #51 of 186

I am not familiar with Zoom, but I have talked with a friend from Australia on FB and you can do the video too, and it is free.  If we are all on FB, we could give it a shot.  It would be so much fun!

Lynne, have you thought about rolling out your fondant on your dining table?  I once did that with the dough for apple strudel, which was huge.

kakeladi Posted 20 Nov 2020 , 4:37am
post #52 of 186

June asked: .... curious why you and your daughter don’t look into why the wall oven doesn’t work??? Could be a simple fix, or again need replacing. But you can’t know unless a repairman takes a look. ”

we have I just don’t remember what was said... definitely we need/plan to remodel but have to save up big piles of $$.   She needs a new car 1st :( 

About the kale used hands- never heard of using the KA but no longer fave that either. 

Sandra said...” am not familiar with Zoom, but I have talked with a friend from Australia on FB and you can do the video too, and it is free.  If we are all on FB, we could give it a shot.  It would be so much fun!

No zoom knowledge here.  Nor how to chat on FB.  Sounds delightful if someone can talk me through it.  

Lynne, have you thought about rolling out your fondant on your dining table?  

Don’t have such an animal either :( 

kakeladi Posted 20 Nov 2020 , 4:42am
post #53 of 186

June asked: .... curious why you and your daughter don’t look into why the wall oven doesn’t work??? Could be a simple fix, or again need replacing. But you can’t know unless a repairman takes a look. ”

we have I just don’t remember what was said... definitely we need/plan to remodel but have to save up big piles of $$.   She needs a new car 1st :( 

About the kale used hands- never heard of using the KA but no longer fave that either. 

Sandra said...” am not familiar with Zoom, but I have talked with a friend from Australia on FB and you can do the video too, and it is free.  If we are all on FB, we could give it a shot.  It would be so much fun!

No zoom knowledge here.  Nor how to chat on FB.  Sounds delightful if someone can talk me through it.  

Lynne, have you thought about rolling out your fondant on your dining table?  

Don’t have such an animal either :( 

ReginaCoeliB Posted 20 Nov 2020 , 2:48pm
post #54 of 186

The zoom suggestion was just that! Dear all I do not care how do you look, I love you all. This community is so very encouraging, helpful, friendly, etc, etc. It is just a pleasure to take part in these chats! Even if I do not recognize you in the other side of the street!

Take care you all, and little or large, busy or simple, have a joyful gathering, many blessings... and yummy food!

theresaf Posted 20 Nov 2020 , 6:19pm
post #55 of 186

Regardless of Zoom, Facebook or this ongoing thread I hope you will join me in a toast to friends wherever we may be in whatever time zone we may be and even if you celebrated already (June!) on Thanksgiving with your glass, your dessert plate or your fork! Cheers my friends!

-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2020 , 8:10pm
post #56 of 186

cheers!

So Quiet Over Here...

kakeladi Posted 21 Nov 2020 , 4:05pm
post #57 of 186

Ok everyone ATTENTION:) 

take a good long look at Ruben’s cake.  Has no one else like me noticed something wrong??   

SandraSmiley Posted 21 Nov 2020 , 5:20pm
post #58 of 186

I can't see anything wrong!  What?

theresaf Posted 21 Nov 2020 , 5:28pm
post #59 of 186

I looked at the spelling - all good ! I give up!!

-K8memphis Posted 21 Nov 2020 , 5:46pm
post #60 of 186

the "N" -- it's been killing me!!!!

it's crooked on the top of the cake -- not in line with the other letters -- i wanted to say something but i didn't wanna be a jerk

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%