Maybe...just Maybe.........

Decorating By lvdenver Updated 12 May 2020 , 1:55pm by jchuck

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 18 Apr 2020 , 3:24pm
post #151 of 180

How's everyone doing today?  It's 43 and raining here. I went to the postoffice to pick up my office mail since they are holding it.  It's a weird ghost town around here and depressing, So I have a Zoom call with my two oldest friends at noon who live in different states (New Jersey and North Carolina) and then a Facetime call set for 3pm with my sister and 16year old niece.  We all feel the need to check in with each other as face-to-face as possible!  After that who knows??? Maybe a baked something or other! ;)

What's everyone making today - sweet or savory?

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 18 Apr 2020 , 3:46pm
post #152 of 180

It’s been unbelievably seasonably cold here. Usually it’s around 65-68 degrees by now. We have had snow flurries on and off the last two days. Soooooo annoying. Especially since Good Friday and Saturday of the Easter wknd were so nice. Everyone sitting outside with just light jackets. I had to wear my down filled winter coat to go for our daily walk. It’s sunny and 48 degrees. Still frosty for this time of year. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 Apr 2020 , 5:14pm
post #153 of 180

Well, June, it was 41 degrees this morning at 7:00 a.m. and I am about a million miles south of you, lol.  This is the warmest morning in about a week.  There has been ice on the standing water every morning.  Today is a beautiful, sunny day and it is warming up quickly.

As much as I want to bake and as much as I love to eat, I've got to back off for a while or I will not be able to get out the door when the quarantine is lifted, lol.

lvdenver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvdenver Posted 18 Apr 2020 , 5:54pm
post #154 of 180

Good morning Theresa, June, and Sandra.....

Man!  Looking at all the temps you are reporting, I feel bad at complaining any over ours.

It was 59 at 9:30 this morning, my first outing of the day, and I was wearing not only my warm jacket, but a muffler, and then a little fleece blanket over my lap.  (I had my neighbor sew it together from two baby blanket from 99 cent store about a year or so ago...before I had gotten my machine back out)  59 is Cold for us lightweights.

It was also very cloudy, angry looking clouds, threatening to give us small showers today.  In other words...a good day for me to stay in and bake or cook.  yesterday was cooking. 

After that.....just vegging out in front of the TV.

I hope you all have a great day!

Peace!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Apr 2020 , 6:52pm
post #155 of 180

I’m just about a 3 hr drive north of ivdenver; it’s 11:40 am & 61 degrees F here Partly cloudy A few days back we had 80s & by Wednesday it’s supposed to be back up there but I find this 61 cold :) think it’s time for a walk as long as the sun is out but right now Enjoying watching a replay of a football game from 2018 :) Also thinking of making lemon curd since I now have a couple of clean jars to put it in

jchuck Posted 18 Apr 2020 , 9:53pm
post #156 of 180

Well I did a bunch of laundry and went grocery shopping. I was really, really, I mean really surprised. The grocery store near me, actually there are 3 large ones, but the one I usually shop at there was nobody there. No line up, walked right in. Then there might have been 20 people in the whole store. Let me tell you, for a Saturday, that’s a miracle. Total bonus for me, cause you didn’t have to worry about self distancing. I was totally out of bread, milk and eggs. I had a grocery order for this Wednesday, but couldn’t be without those items for that long. I was in and out in 15 minutes. Eventually the sun came out, and it got to be about 52 degrees. So I got outside in my backyard with a warm spring  jacket to clean up my garden. Felt good to be outside working!!! And I helped Steve put up our summer umbrella. I’m being optimistic. ❤️

lvdenver Posted 18 Apr 2020 , 11:52pm
post #157 of 180

Lynne.....

You're 3 hours north of Denver, or me (in Los Angeles)?  My name is misleading.  It stands for 'Love Denver'.  So I wasn't sure which you meant.  I am notorious for missing details on people.  So if you've told me your area before, I've forgotten it!   lol

I was outside a while ago...4:00, and it was 60-65 /  Nice, but chilly in the breeze.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 19 Apr 2020 , 1:23pm
post #158 of 180

Bump

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 25 Apr 2020 , 12:35pm
post #159 of 180

Bump

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 27 Apr 2020 , 8:45pm
post #160 of 180

Well, we're in the 90s today and expecting 100 tomorrow. I hate it when we go from really cold to really hot almost overnight. I barely got my space heaters put up and already the a/c is going almost 24/7.

So I got laid off Wednesday - not a surprise.  When oil goes -$35 a barrel people tend to lose their minds. Our company went from 150 field guys to 3 so they could finish out contracts and I suspect they were laying off everybody but managers. They'll get weeded out this week, more than likely. I've applied for unemployment for the first time in my life so we'll see how that works. We're in better shape than a lot of folks so I can't complain - I just don't want to get too fat and lazy.

Still working on clearing out closets and I'm actually making some progress, I'm proud to say. Making room to stock up on supplies since they're saying there will be another round of all this about September.

One of the smaller grocery stores near us reopened on Saturday with regular hours. It was really odd - everything had been in very short supply but when they went back to normal hours, all the shelves were completely stocked. Kinda makes you go "hmmmm".

Everybody stay safe and keep washing those hands!

kakeladi Posted 28 Apr 2020 , 1:16am
post #161 of 180

Reports on news tonight is that groceries in general & meat for sure are going sky & in very short supply:) I’ve noticed the prices were high (IMHO) when I shopped a few days ago I have NO room to stock up any more What I have should last a week or 2 Everyone’s going to panic shop for not just meat but vegan/vegetarian ingredients

SandraSmiley Posted 28 Apr 2020 , 2:26am
post #162 of 180

Think I'll plant a garden.

jchuck Posted 28 Apr 2020 , 11:08am
post #163 of 180

Well here there have been 3 meat packing plants where several employees tested positive for the virus. One was completely shutdown for a week, and completely deep cleaned. Now reopened.  The other 2, the same. And reduced employees for distancing. So the amount of meat being shipped as been greatly reduced. Prices have definitely gone up. We’ve just reduced our consumption. We don’t eat much beef. Mostly chicken and fish. And we are enlarging what we plant in our small garden as well.

jchuck Posted 28 Apr 2020 , 12:07pm
post #164 of 180

Sorry Cakefan92  About being laid off. At least you have warm weather and can venture outside. With so many conversations, I cannot remember where you reside. Here, in Ontario, it’s been so unseasonably cold. Only 2 nice days last week, and that was only 56-58 degrees. And it should be around 60-65 degrees. We had a nice sunny day yesterday, and about 57d. Then it got cloudy and cool. It’s raining and cold today, and will be so until the weekend. Arrrrggggggg... NOoooooooo. 

kakeladi Posted 28 Apr 2020 , 1:58pm
post #165 of 180

Today will be 92 — just a bit warmer than normal Predicted temps for the foreseeable future will range 80-98 That’s a dry heat no humidity Need to take my walk earlier before the temp gets too hot:) Guess I have to quiet being lazy & get going before 10 am I have for yrs used mostly ckn & pork w/some fish since I was told I am allergic to beef & lamb along w/a host of other foods Lately I’ve had some beef yikes the prices! Over $6. a # :( Bot I so missed meatloaf, burgers & pot roast I tested the waters & so far am not having any bad reaction except the shock of the pricing:)

jchuck Posted 28 Apr 2020 , 2:16pm
post #166 of 180

Wow...92!!! We won’t get anywhere near that temp until July. And we usually only get a week or so of these high temps. We’re usually averaging 82-87. Right now, I’d be satisfied with 65 d and sunshine. Enough to sit outside and go for a walk...❤️

theresaf Posted 28 Apr 2020 , 3:04pm
post #167 of 180

Good morning - It's supposed to be about 64 here today and sunny!  That's a welcome relief over here

Yeah, I heard that meat shortage thing several times last night so I suited-up and went to StopnShop this morning.  So stressful!  Back home. take a shower, unpack and clean the frig/freezer stuff. other stuff still in the car.  It's a half day event!  The worst part to me is that the store is deadly quiet - turn on the radio or something! People are barely speaking through their masks so there's little actual kindness, like excuse me .  I say hi and thank you for working today to the cashier and the stock people and they are friendly and grateful for the exchange.  That part is sad to me.

Meanwhile I have to rearrange my freezer and refrigerator like a giant Jenga... and try to tend to some work stuff too! Oy!!

Have a good day ladies!

T

cakefan92 Posted 28 Apr 2020 , 3:30pm
post #168 of 180

I would love some rain but out here in West Texas this time of year that generally means hail and/or tornados. I remember when we moved to New York it was raining when we got there and it was the first time I had ever seen rain come straight down. We're expecting 100 today which I guess isn't bad - it's a dry heat. We're lucky if we get 15% humidity and it makes gardening next to impossible. I remember my mother going out early before work to water her tomatoes so the heat wouldn't cause the water droplets to blister them. She let me help her plant one year and told me I couldn't help anymore. Apparently I planted the zucchini seeds "halfway to China" so she had to dig them up and replant. Yeah, I'm not a farmer.

I'll be braving the stores after lunch today so I'm really looking forward to that - not. Still looking for paper towels so I can do some cleaning. I know I can do it without them but it makes a good excuse. Figured I'd look for some meat while I'm at it. Hubby is a big meat-eater so the next few months may not go well. I'm just as happy with all fruits/veggies but he doesn't believe in eating anything green except salad. 

Stay safe, everybody!

SandraSmiley Posted 29 Apr 2020 , 12:33am
post #169 of 180

Walmart has been out of meat for weeks.  Everyone has gone crazy.

kakeladi Posted 29 Apr 2020 , 1:36am
post #170 of 180

Our WM is not out but has limited amounts ckn,beef,pork etc Plenty Of fzn fish:) It’s 6:18 pm & 90 right now; That’s not a record ; supposed to be 93 tomorrow before falling down into the low 80s Will the heat kill/slowdown the virus?? There was some talk about that......but no one really knows As far as any one knows this “park” of about 300 people is free & clear — Praise the Lord!! Do any of you personally know someone who has gotten it? Now pets — dogs & cats — are testing positive:( My thoughts?? WHY/HOW are There tests for animals and not people???

theresaf Posted 29 Apr 2020 , 3:27pm
post #171 of 180

Unfortunately, Lynne, a married couple friends with one of my sister's that I also know, both had it and the husband died at home. And it seems my other sister may have/had a mild case - we still aren't sure.  I do know of many other people who have it as well.  That's why we are almost exclusively staying inside.  

I would love a shot of hot weather even to sit in my backyard and get some Vitamin D straight from the source!  Glad everyone in your development is well, Lynne that's great to hear!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 29 Apr 2020 , 5:47pm
post #172 of 180

A person dies approximately every 11.14 seconds

Number of deaths per year: 2,830,688

Number of deaths per day: 7,755

Number of deaths per hour: 323

https://www.indexmundi.com/clocks/indicator/deaths/united-states

CELEBRATE YOUR LIFE.............. take care of yourselves......... do the best you can.......cherish your friends and families while you can.

If you're alive and healthy right now you have work to do.  Get busy. 

Maybe...just Maybe.........

SandraSmiley Posted 29 Apr 2020 , 6:03pm
post #173 of 180

I don't know anyone who has had it.  We are lucky to live in a rural area.  Even our Walmart and grocery store workers have been untouched, thankfully.

cakefan92 Posted 30 Apr 2020 , 7:40pm
post #174 of 180

I know it sounds silly but hubby and I both think I had the virus in December. I went from a cough to unable to breathe in 2 hours. That seemed like a really long ride to the ER. They told me it was acute bronchitis and I'm still not completely over it.  On the plus side, I quit smoking after 45 years. I'd be proud of myself if I had any say in the matter. But other than that I don't even know anyone who has tested positive for it.

They say direct sunlight (not so much heat) will kill the virus in 1 1/2 minutes - sounds to me like a good argument for getting people outside. Things have never gotten really crazy here. In fact, except for the TP shortage, life here hasn't changed much. I guess it's a good thing to live out where there aren't that many people. We have 2 cities about 20 miles apart that are both about 100,000 people but other than that only small towns. The oil prices made more of a difference than the virus so I guess that's a good thing.

jchuck Posted 30 Apr 2020 , 8:37pm
post #175 of 180

Well cakefan92 that sounds pretty suspicious. I’ve had both severe bronchitis, and pneumonia. There are severe types of pneumonia where you have great difficulty breathing. But not within 2 hours!! In many hospitals, the coronavirus wasn’t even on the radar in December. And not sure you could even have been tested then. And as the the “direct sunlight” can kill the virus...is a FALICY .....read on.  https://nypost.com/2020/04/27/sunlight-doesnt-kill-coronavirus-experts-say/  So glad you stopped smoking tho. You will feel so much healthier after a few months of no cigarettes.

Nothing has really changed for  hubby and I as we were retired. Already staying at home. Not being able to be involved in weekly exercise programs has been kinda crappy. We miss eating out, which we did several times a week.  We can do a food pickup/delivery. But it’s not the same as being in the restaurant and just “being out”.  And we really seeing our family and friends. As far as shortages, we have been fortunate, haven’t had any. Still lotsa toilet paper out there. 

lvdenver Posted 30 Apr 2020 , 9:03pm
post #176 of 180

Your illness in December does sound suspicious, cakefan92.  At least you are better now.

As for all of you who are not experiencing shortages in the markets...I envy you!

I've been home since the beginning of March, and when I do get out to the market, because I have nobody to go for me, our shelves are still Very Bare.

The Produce section looks great, in fact I got some a couple of days ago.  But the rest of the store:  only about 1/4 the regular meats, No T.P. or paper towels.  No dried beans, rice, pasta...only  at iny section of pasta sauces, and only a couple of types of canned soups.  NO Baking goos to speak of....they did have some sugar, but no flours or the much sought after Yeast.  Oh...basically No cleaning supplies.  And Eggs are getting hard to find....and Expensive!  Even frozen fruits and vegetables.  Not even frozen spinach to make dip!  (my friend came over to cook for me, and she loves to make that)  The bag of spinach we finally found was 'Organically frown', and was $2,49 for 12 ozs.  It's Crazy in So Calif!  The best thing we were able to get (because I was Craving it) was a big package of Chicken Leg Quarters, 3 pieces, for $3.55 !  Yeah!!!!

So you ladies who still have lots on the grocers' shelves, and those fabulous gardens I knw you'll have....Well done!!!

I just this minute heard that our stores are imposing a 2-item household limit for meats...fresh or frozen.  That may be coming to your areas.  I guess it's finally a good thing, for me, that I am not a Cook, but a Heater-Upper!  Learned that from my Mom....especially when she was swept off her fee, and whisked off to New York, to marry her Prince Charming and live as a Princess!  And there is No sarcasm in that statement At All.  She really did...when I was 18!

Well, break time for me....before I start banana bread.   

Have a great afternoon, All!

Peace!

jchuck Posted 30 Apr 2020 , 10:05pm
post #177 of 180

Well Ivdenver/Christie

We’ve had several meat packing plants close now because employees have been infected with the coronavirus. Plants are going through a deep clean protocol. And ministry of agriculture is sending inspectors to change how the lines are operated for social distancing. Which, of course, should have been done right away to protect employees. So, the long and short of it is, we maybe ok for meat now, but we could run into shortages in a couple of weeks. We think we may bite the bullet and go to Costco tonight or tomorrow evening.  Up some meat now. We have been able to get lots of beef. But not chicken or pork. We eat a lot of chicken. So hopefully, we can get some at Costco. 

jchuck Posted 1 May 2020 , 12:13pm
post #178 of 180

Bumpity Bump Bump 

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 8 May 2020 , 8:49pm
post #179 of 180

bump

jchuck Posted 12 May 2020 , 1:55pm
post #180 of 180

Bump